Thai Airship Still Can't Fly Too High

webfact

SKY DRAGON

Airship still can't fly too high

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_11504.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Sky Dragon airship fail to satisfy the army in its latest test in Pattani province on Friday after it was unable to reach the manufacturer's claimed attitude and its cameras were still from perfect.

Army Chief Anupong Paochinda said in Bangkok that the airship has not yet been handed over since the Army is till to be satisfied with its performance, Army chief Anupong Paochinda said in Bangkok.

The army chief said the Army would not accept the airship if could not work efficiently. "If we cannot accept it, we will not pay the final amount to the company," he said.

"The procurement committee must take responsibility if the airship cannot fly [to the required specifications]," he added.

An eight-member committee from the Army was in Pattani on Friday for the latest testing of the Sky Dragon. The Army had previously test-flown it on several occasions.

An operational official said the airship was unable to reach the manufacturer's claimed altitude, and that its cameras were still far from perfect.

Many journalists gathered at the Fourth Army Region forward command, but were not allowed to cover the test run.

The Army has ordered the airship for surveillance missions in the deep South. It will be equipped with aerial cameras and facilities to communicate with 26 earth stations in the three southernmost provinces.

By its very nature, the airship is vulnerable to attack from insurgents. The Army had to deploy three helicopters and ground patrol vehicles to provide security for yesterday's test.

It needed 55 officials onboard and on the ground to operate the airship.

Asked why journalists were not allowed to observe the test, Anupong said he would contact officials on the ground and take a group of journalists from Bangkok to see the airship in the South.

The Army's procurement of the Sky Dragon has been under close scrutiny since the expensive GT200 bomb detectors were scientifically proven to be ineffective.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The most likely reason it couldn't get to it's specified altitude is that there were too many overstuffed generals each with a hundredweight of meaningless gongs (medals) on board.

Another useless little toy for the military, maybe they sould use it to give guided tours of Thailand's aircraft carrier wherever that may be rotting away.

Too bad th 5th Dimension weren't available to serenade the generals. :D

Aww c'mon, I've seen the reruns of the Ed Sullvian show and they wore groovy outfits, just like some of you disco divas in Pattaya put on when you go clubbing. Hey, I have an idea!! They could sell trips on the blimp to help cover the cost of the thing. It would be just like water world in Bangkok. And no cynical comments from you kids saying the thing will probably spring a leak and go spizzzing into the stratosphere dropping screaming riders. :) They can always get parachutes from Acme.

It worked for Wil E. Coyote.

Why does Thailand keep accepting handovers of

equipment that does not work?

I saw this one at a football game in Buffalo a few years ago,

better known as the goodyear blimp isn't it?

I can see it now ...

Thai blimp crash lands after being hit by pellet gun fire"

"The Army had to deploy three helicopters and ground patrol vehicles to provide security for yesterday's test."

If it weren't such a tragic waste of money you would have the makings of a hit comedy here somewhere.

I wonder how much travelling security it will require when, or rather if, it ever goes operational?

It is a pretty small one if you look at the size of the jeep for comparison.

As I understand it there was an original procurement spec

and then assorted generals, with no knowledges of the actual dynamics of the crafts operations,

kept larding on more and more electronics, and now it is so over weight it can't get to 30k feet, only 10k.

And of course no one can tell the generals they must removed their extra technology,

or simply time share the load carrying spec, so they don't lose face, thus it won't reach height.

The basic platform is perfectly capable of doing what it was spec'd for,

but it is now being asked to do more than that by far.

DUH!

It is a pretty small one if you look at the size of the jeep for comparison.

As I understand it there was an original procurement spec

and then assorted generals, with no knowledges of the actual dynamics of the crafts operations,

kept larding on more and more electronics, and now it is so over weight it can't get to 30k feet, only 10k.

And of course no one can tell the generals they must removed their extra technology,

or simply time share the load carrying spec, so they don't lose face, thus it won't reach height.

The basic platform is perfectly capable of doing what it was spec'd for,

but it is now being asked to do more than that by far.

DUH!

I have no doubt that it would do what it said on the can. I mean it isn't as though this is a dodgy bomb detector. Generals with no knowledge. You can't be implying that the Thai army has more than it's fair share of Colonel Blimps?

One can only imagine why they would have bought far too much extra stuff to put on the thing, even though of course it would be too heavy. Those extra cameras and sensors must have come extremely cheap of course.

Beware the military industrial complex, Its function is always inverse to cost. These are good radar platforms for over the horizon if tied to ship or shore, but will remain grounded for winds far to many days a year to be of much use in tooling around the country side and becoming a target for attention getters. Golden turd award.

I like the darth one it reminds me of the movie Zardoz. :)

Beware the military industrial complex, Its function is always inverse to cost.

Dead right. I used to work for the British MoD, in another life, and once a project gets the basic funding all the various departments feel they just have to get involved and add all manner of gadgets of their own for no other reason but to justify their existance.

If you want to buy a barstool get one from IKEA for a few quid.

If you buy it through the MoD it'll cost you fifteen million sterling, will be six years late in delivery, will only have two legs (due to cost cutting), will be sixteen feet tall requiring you to purchase a ladder to get onto it and will be made from Jarra requiring a twenty five ton hydraulic crane to move it around.

By which time the bar has closed down and become a charity shop.

The most likely reason it couldn't get to it's specified altitude is that there were too many overstuffed generals each with a hundredweight of meaningless gongs (medals) on board.

Another useless little toy for the military, maybe they sould use it to give guided tours of Thailand's aircraft carrier wherever that may be rotting away.

Hence it not reaching its 'altitude' as it had an 'attitude'..which is the correct word here..hopeless proof reading.

The Army had to deploy three helicopters and ground patrol vehicles to provide security for yesterday's test

There is a simple way out of this mess - buy more helicopters. The airships will be safe and can carry out their surveillance. So, no loss of face for the govt as the airships can still be used. And the army get more toys.

"BANGKOK: -- The Sky Dragon airship fail to satisfy the army in its latest test in Pattani province on Friday after it was unable to reach the manufacturer's claimed attitude and its cameras were still from perfect."

RC49

"Hence it not reaching its 'altitude' as it had an 'attitude'..which is the correct word here..hopeless proof reading."

If it was just one typo it wouldn't be too bad.

On a positive note, if you're looking for work, it appears that they have an opening for proofreader. Or should have.

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

"BANGKOK: -- The Sky Dragon airship fail to satisfy the army in its latest test in Pattani province on Friday after it was unable to reach the manufacturer's claimed attitude and its cameras were still from perfect."

RC49

"Hence it not reaching its 'altitude' as it had an 'attitude'..which is the correct word here..hopeless proof reading."

If it was just one typo it wouldn't be too bad.

On a positive note, if you're looking for work, it appears that they have an opening for proofreader. Or should have.

Obviously I'll not cut it as a proofreader but I'm still heartened to see it can't fly too high otherwise it might leave the Earth's atmosphere and become Thailand's first moon mission.

Though the generals from napoleon's army all received a nice kickback. The camera's were not fitted yet because the US is refusing to sell to them, the fuel cost a staggering million baht per charge, but we all know things like the GT-200 and the Thai army's own Hindenburg does not come cheap. On the other hand they have given themselves an 60% budget increase after the coup plus a multi billion baht bonus so there might be some money left and otherwise they simply take it out of the education or healthcare budget. Healthy and educated people could be very nasty opponents.

The Army had to deploy three helicopters and ground patrol vehicles to provide security for yesterday's test

There is a simple way out of this mess - buy more helicopters. The airships will be safe and can carry out their surveillance. So, no loss of face for the govt as the airships can still be used. And the army get more toys.

Come on, admit it, you're really one of Thailands 1000 generals aren't you? :):D