Officials Concerned About Phuket As Terrorism Rises In Deep South

webfact

Officials concerned about Phuket as terrorism rises in deep south

PHUKET: -- Thai and U.S. officials are preparing for another year of unrest due to the continuing insurgency in the Muslim Malay-dominated provinces in Thailand's 'deep south'. Officials are bracing themselves for the negative effect it might have on the Thai tourist economy if the insurgency spreads.

According to the Jamestown Foundation's website at jamestown.org, Phuket has been receiving U.S. anti-terrorism support since 2004, when bomb blast suppression blankets were given to provincial leaders by the U.S. embassy.

“The recent ranking of Thailand in the 'extreme' category of the Terrorism Risk Index developed by Maplecroft, a private U.S. risk analysis firm, will undoubtedly add to the decline in Thai tourism,” the Foundation says. In 2009, the death toll in the “Deep South” was well over 1,000, while tourism nationally dropped 7%, fueled primarily by the global economic slump.

It is to be noted, however, that Phuket province itself, though located only about 200km from the 'deep south', has never been drawn into the civil strife afflicting that region.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

“The recent ranking of Thailand in the 'extreme' category of the Terrorism Risk Index developed by Maplecroft, a private U.S. risk analysis firm,

Has there ever been a terror attack in Phuket?

Who, and or what is Maplecroft? and who pays them to create this information?

"The recent ranking of Thailand in the 'extreme' category of the Terrorism Risk Index developed by Maplecroft, a private U.S. risk analysis firm,

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.maplecroft.com/

This is a well respected company worldwide. This may hurt Thailand's image.

However, it's an image weve seen way too much down south. Im afraid its a matter of time before it migrates northward.

Not to turn this into a religious discussion, but I feel this is DIRECTLY tied to the aforementioned article.

Something has got to be done about these religious zealots killing in the name of allah or whomever.

Muslim moderates need to let their voice be heard over the din of gunshots and car bombs of the extremist Muslims. If your religion is so peace loving, where are those voices advocating peace? Those voices are afraid of being bombed, that's why we don't hear them. Much of Islam and their adherents IS/ARE indeed, peace loving. You better concentrate on those facets, or you will be disliked worldwide.

If its found that there are imams that are complicit in these hate crimes, they should be arrested. If your places of worship are harboring religious bigots, those mosques should be closed down, and turned into porkchop barbecue stands, for good.

You guys can moan and complain all you want, and it still won't change the fact that this is a BUDDHIST country. Get over it.

*If you want to practice your religion peacefully, stay.

*If you want to proselytize peacefully, stay.

*If you want to attend your mosque peacefully, stay. Chant and pray to your hearts content, but without the suicide vests, pretty please with sugar on top.

*If you want to wrap your wives up to prevent others from lusting after them, fine, stay. Wrap them up in a circus tent for all I care, just don’t put bombs under them.

*If you want to shoot state workers trying hard to feed their families, GET OUT.

* If you really want to use a gun, give that AK-47 a 180 degree spin and pull the trigger.

*If you plant roadside bombs, or harbor those that do, GET OUT.

*If you want to whine about the fact that Buddhism is the official religion here, MOVE TO MALAYSIA.

* If you feel compelled to protest that, in the south, you happen to belong to a minority group, GET OUT.

You don’t see Christians waxing poetic about how we’re outnumbered and that Christianity isnt the official religion. It's called religious tolerance, guys. This is something the Buddhist has learned well. Maybe you should too.

if there is no proper prove public about a terrorist threat then should these comments by newspapers be alloud to be made public. sounds like the media controlling things again. i would like to hear what my embassy has to say about this.

"The recent ranking of Thailand in the 'extreme' category of the Terrorism Risk Index developed by Maplecroft, a private U.S. risk analysis firm,

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.maplecroft.com/

This is a well respected company worldwide. This may hurt Thailand's image.

However, it's an image weve seen way too much down south. Im afraid its a matter of time before it migrates northward.

Not to turn this into a religious discussion, but I feel this is DIRECTLY tied to the aforementioned article.

Something has got to be done about these religious zealots killing in the name of allah or whomever.

Muslim moderates need to let their voice be heard over the din of gunshots and car bombs of the extremist Muslims. If your religion is so peace loving, where are those voices advocating peace? Those voices are afraid of being bombed, that's why we don't hear them. Much of Islam and their adherents IS/ARE indeed, peace loving. You better concentrate on those facets, or you will be disliked worldwide.

If its found that there are imams that are complicit in these hate crimes, they should be arrested. If your places of worship are harboring religious bigots, those mosques should be closed down, and turned into porkchop barbecue stands, for good.

You guys can moan and complain all you want, and it still won't change the fact that this is a BUDDHIST country. Get over it.

*If you want to practice your religion peacefully, stay.

*If you want to proselytize peacefully, stay.

*If you want to attend your mosque peacefully, stay. Chant and pray to your hearts content, but without the suicide vests, pretty please with sugar on top.

*If you want to wrap your wives up to prevent others from lusting after them, fine, stay. Wrap them up in a circus tent for all I care, just don’t put bombs under them.

*If you want to shoot state workers trying hard to feed their families, GET OUT.

* If you really want to use a gun, give that AK-47 a 180 degree spin and pull the trigger.

*If you plant roadside bombs, or harbor those that do, GET OUT.

*If you want to whine about the fact that Buddhism is the official religion here, MOVE TO MALAYSIA.

* If you feel compelled to protest that, in the south, you happen to belong to a minority group, GET OUT.

You don’t see Christians waxing poetic about how we’re outnumbered and that Christianity isnt the official religion. It's called religious tolerance, guys. This is something the Buddhist has learned well. Maybe you should too.

Since you profess to following the Christian religion I assume that you are not Thai. If so, by what right do you tell those Muslims resident in Thailand but not wanting to be Thai, to leave the country? Perhaps things might be a whole lot more peaceful if the Muslims were not so repressed and were given a fair shake.

Any sentient person recognises that violence is not the answer to any problem but perhaps you could provide a solution - other than turning mosques into pork chop barbecues shops that is.

quote:since you profess to following the Christian religion I assume that you are not Thai. If so, by what right do you tell those Muslims resident in Thailand but not wanting to be Thai, to leave the country?

How about this for a starter? THEYRE MURDERING PEOPLE. Do you want to be around murderers? Do you? If you do, I have a few provinces for your next move.

quote:

Perhaps things might be a whole lot more peaceful if the Muslims were not so repressed and were given a fair shake.

Agreed that, at one time they were repressed. Christianity rolled over the then civilzed world (off and on for hundreds of years) forcing conversion en masse to impose their vision of religion upon Jews, Orthodox Christians, heretics, Muslims, and just about anyone else who happened to get in the way. They know from experience that is NOT the way things should be done. So why are they doing it now?

As far as being repressed or persecuted, the peaceful members will be hated ALONG with the murderers if these imams keep giving asylum to criminals. Dont you find that sad? I do, because most Muslims are kind people, are culture rich and dedicated to their worship.

However, please, please tell me youre not implying that Muslims are not tolerated here.

Because if they can't survive here, they better fold it up and go home, because Thailand is one of THE most tolerant countries in the world. Tolerance is a basic tenet of their faith.

quote:

Any sentient person (sounds like you might be Buddhist?) recognises that violence is not the answer to any problem but perhaps you could provide a solution - other than turning mosques into pork chop barbecues shops that is.

Agreed, violence is not the answer. I was speaking emotively, emotionally, comically, about the barbecue solution.

A start to end the violence would be the INTOLERANCE of murder. This is where the imams come in, and also where the "christian" leaders failed back during the crusades, youth crusades and the inquisition. I was very literal about the murderers leaving and meant every word. No one wants them here.

If their mosques have been harboring bloodguilty derelicts, no more services there and good-bye Friday prayer service. Mosques are for worshipping, not giving scumbags a hiding place.

...they better fold it up and go home

Actually, they are 'home'. Many Muslim families have lived in the same location for hundreds of years. Unfortunately (for them), someone moved the national border in the meantime and their majority Muslim country became majority Buddhist.

I do not agree with violence, but if you were a die-hard Spanish Christian and The Islamic Moors decided to move the Moroccan border 400km north, and then started to populate your backyard with Muslims, would you not feel a little annoyed?

There is violence on both sides that is being committed by those who claim to be Muslims and by those who claim to be Buddhists.

Do not forget that there are millions of Thai Muslims living peacefully throughout Thailand. Bear in mind that those living in the Deep South are not Thai Muslims. They are Malaysian or Pattani Muslims.

Back on topic - I am amazed that the Thai government seems unable to recognise that this regional problem can very easily escalate into an international problem. Islam dictates that you must help your Islamic brother if they call for help, regardless of national boundaries. The fact that Phuket has escaped violence so far has probably been helped because the Phuket Muslim community are not Pattani Muslims, and are also busy making money from tourism, just like their Buddhist colleagues. Take away that income and unrest may grow.

Simon

Muslims in the south haven't forgotten the deaths of dozens of young men during the Thaksin years. The deaths were mainly at Tak Bai while the men were in government custody. I'm not saying that justifies continued violence (by Muslims) but it likely acts as a motivating force for revenge. All people are subject to feelings of revenge at times in their lives, but revenge appears to be a particularly strong emotion among Muslims. It's even in their Spiritual manuscript, using the names 'fatwa' or 'hijad' ...among others. Once the cycle of revenge gets going, it's hard to stop. Look at the Palestinian/Israeli debacle. Every time a harmful act is perpetrated, it's always explained as revenge against what the other side did earlier.

The best plan for trying to ameliorate the situation is dialogue. Not shouting with press releases, but sit down, mature, pensive discussions between factions - to see what are the best paths toward peaceful resolutions. I'd suggest the Thai government start by implementing a comprehensive fact-finding commission (not just Thai members) to find who was responsible for the deaths of over 70 men in government custody at Tak Bai. Follow that up with stiff disciplinary action. The man in charge of the government at that time, and self-proclaimed 'hands on' controller of every government official at Tak Bai, was Mr. Thaksin. However, that doesn't excuse others who made the fatal decisions made that day. Excuses are cheap. Facts speak loudly.

quote:

Actually, they are 'home'.

Let me clarify. They should go where they would feel more "comfortable." For both warring parties, get along or just, get.

And yes, youre right, many are at fault here, not just Muslims. As in other factions, there is more than meets the eye.

Sounds like The Transformers..... :)

If it is the aim of some interested parties in the south to disrupt the flow of tourism, look no further than Phuket. I believe it will happen eventually. Phuket, like it or not is the lifeline of the south. Or if you prefer, it is central to the economy of the south.

Tonglen, contrary to your ill-informed rant above, Buddhism is NOT the official religion of Thailand. There is no official religion and all religions in theory are allowed to practice their faith freely and without state interference or harassment. Unfortunately, many Southern Thai muslims (and some other minority ethnic groups and religions) feel discriminated against by the state-employed forces. Most use peaceful methods to complain, but a small minority have turned to violence in their struggle, just as a minority of state officials have turned to extra-legal methods in their retaliation and fight against Southern Thai muslims leading to greater feelings of injustice by this group, especially those who are peaceful and law abiding. It's a vicious cycle, but the statistics on deaths/injuries would suggest that it is ordinary civilians who are coming worst off in this bitter struggle in the South, no matter what their political or religious persuasions.

Therefore, it is wise to withold knee-jerk, bigoted comments against one religion or another, until one understands far more about the history and context of the South.

I found it ironic that after some (very long ) alterations in Chiang Mai airport, that there were signs directing people to the Muslim prayer room AND the Buddhist prayer room - next to each other. That was worth a chuckle and I say, Bravo! to the individual for thinking of this!!!

Tonglen, contrary to your ill-informed rant above, Buddhism is NOT the official religion of Thailand. There is no official religion and all religions in theory are allowed to practice their faith freely and without state interference or harassment. Unfortunately, many Southern Thai muslims (and some other minority ethnic groups and religions) feel discriminated against by the state-employed forces. Most use peaceful methods to complain, but a small minority have turned to violence in their struggle, just as a minority of state officials have turned to extra-legal methods in their retaliation and fight against Southern Thai muslims leading to greater feelings of injustice by this group, especially those who are peaceful and law abiding. It's a vicious cycle, but the statistics on deaths/injuries would suggest that it is ordinary civilians who are coming worst off in this bitter struggle in the South, no matter what their political or religious persuasions.

Therefore, it is wise to withold knee-jerk, bigoted comments against one religion or another, until one understands far more about the history and context of the South.

One thing that has always irritated me here.

The goverment refers to Thai's (ie Buddhists) and Moslems as if they are not Thai's

No goverment has ever really tried to help or accomodate the southerners and until they do it will always be a headache.

Wait until someone parks a motorcycle at the corner of soi Bangla and Rat-u-Thit road at 1am and it goes off. It could happen ( it did in Bali)

For Tonglen.

You are not Thai. Ergo you have no authority in any matter, particularly in shunting people out of their own country – and you a mere tolerated visitor. The Southern Muslims, handed over to Thailand without their acquiescence by the Brits, might well consider themselves as being under Thai occupation. What you call murders they might well see as causalities of war. What would you call the events at Tak Bai? On reflection now, how do you feel about the ‘freedom fighters’ of Vietnam?

The Thais do suffer from a delusional notion that they are better in every way to others. Are you always treated the same way as a Thai would be? Obviously the Southern Muslims feel that they are not and AFAIK feel they never have been. The Bangkok mafia has little regard for the Isan people, (too much Khmer blood?) so it would be consistent to be less than generous, if not antagonistic, to the Malays living down South. It is self evident that the Southerners have been oppressed and feel, probably quite rightly, that they still are.

I am having trouble in getting my head around the notion that the dissatisfied (who happen to be Moslems), should pack up and go home. Where did you have in mind? Are you arguing that they are not already at home? Your attitude seems to be much the same as a section of the Thai people. “We welcome tourists. Now leave your wallet and any valuables over here and go home.” The difference is “Go back further South, but leave your land here.”

How’s this for a Southern attitude? ‘We’re terribly sorry if our struggle for our freedom and respect for our culture and customs inconveniences you. If you find it is becoming intolerable, the airport is that way.’

P.S. I admit to no religion and certainly not one ordained by a Nepalese Prince. I do not recognize ghosts holy or otherwise, evil spirits, sprites, elves or the Tooth Fairy. If others give credence to mumbo jumbo, whether propounded by rabbis, witch doctors, old men wearing pretty frocks and funny hats, shamans or some other religious leader so be it.

For Tonglen.

You are not Thai. Ergo you have no authority in any matter, particularly in shunting people out of their own country – and you a mere tolerated visitor. The Southern Muslims, handed over to Thailand without their acquiescence by the Brits, might well consider themselves as being under Thai occupation. What you call murders they might well see as causalities of war. What would you call the events at Tak Bai? On reflection now, how do you feel about the ‘freedom fighters’ of Vietnam?

The Thais do suffer from a delusional notion that they are better in every way to others. Are you always treated the same way as a Thai would be? Obviously the Southern Muslims feel that they are not and AFAIK feel they never have been. The Bangkok mafia has little regard for the Isan people, (too much Khmer blood?) so it would be consistent to be less than generous, if not antagonistic, to the Malays living down South. It is self evident that the Southerners have been oppressed and feel, probably quite rightly, that they still are.

I am having trouble in getting my head around the notion that the dissatisfied (who happen to be Moslems), should pack up and go home. Where did you have in mind? Are you arguing that they are not already at home? Your attitude seems to be much the same as a section of the Thai people. “We welcome tourists. Now leave your wallet and any valuables over here and go home.” The difference is “Go back further South, but leave your land here.”

How’s this for a Southern attitude? ‘We’re terribly sorry if our struggle for our freedom and respect for our culture and customs inconveniences you. If you find it is becoming intolerable, the airport is that way.’

P.S. I admit to no religion and certainly not one ordained by a Nepalese Prince. I do not recognize ghosts holy or otherwise, evil spirits, sprites, elves or the Tooth Fairy. If others give credence to mumbo jumbo, whether propounded by rabbis, witch doctors, old men wearing pretty frocks and funny hats, shamans or some other religious leader so be it.

The southern Thai provinces only officially became part of Thailand about 100 years ago. For a 100 years before that it was part of Malay (not Malaysia), but occupied by Thailand. The Brit/Thai treaty in 1909 (which didn't involve the Malays) gave some of the northern Malay states to the Thais and some stayed under Brit control and eventually became part of Malaysia.

The fact that the Malay people were not a party to this deal has ofcourse lead to the resentment of some of the locals of being ruled by Bangkok.

Religion isn't the cause of this problem, although some are upset of the mainly Buddhist Thailand disrespect of Islam.