If You Have A Half-thai Daughter..

WinnieTheKhwai

Potential partner for half-Thai daughter  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An Englishman from the same background as myself, birds of a feather flock together and all that.

To all the PC folk who expressed that they wouldnt miind whatever, please fly over here to the Middle East or even go to many parts of Malaysia see how women are treat then come back with an honest answer.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care as long as she is happy and in an equal relationship. I personally feel there would be more chance of that happening in a western relationship. This is based purely on my experiences of Thai men withon my own extended family and the stories that I hear from my families friends on how women are treated by their Thai husbands.

So please dont scream racist ;-)

To everybody taking part in this thread,which is a very good one...please remember before posting and accusing or taking the racist angle,How can you call or insinuate anybody as racist with a interacial child is beyond me!! some people just like looking for trouble and stirring the shit.

I.... as i think are all other mams and dads very proud of my kids.and just want what my folks wanted,health wealth and happiness!

hmmm... as 9 of 10 of the Replies pointed out, in this day and age, race should not be a factor.

Look Who's Coming to Dinner was a movie for the times, decades ago!

Participation in the Poll cannot be completed without making a decision based on race, so you will have a difficult time explaining how you 'do not see it as racism' !?

I think when a moderator gets around to viewing this Topic, they will cross reference it to the Rules.

I hope my daughter ends up with a very nice citizen of the planet Earth!

Sorry, but I think it's a stretch to call "Westerner" a race. As if all Westerners are of a single race? A Westerner of African or Asian ancestry is still a Westerner. Quite obviously it's the cultural background that's relevant here, but let me hasten to confirm this since you raised the issue. Going by your logic, debating every single cultural feature that's unique to Thailand would be racism when debated vis a vis a Western/"Farang" background / culture? Actually I struggle to even call 'Thai' a race; it's a nationality. (And no, I don't want to go there in this topic beyond pointing out that there are Thais from various backgrounds such as Chinese, Khmer, Lao, Malay, and various hilltribes.)

And then, you're from Canada, possibly THE most ethnically diverse country in the world. I would not hesitate for a second to include every single Canadian as Western. I hope that goes some way to put the challenge to bed. Either way the "It doesn't matter to me" option seems the appropriate one for people who don't want to make a cultural-background-based decision.

( I apologize if the tone of this post is overly combative, but getting accused of racism is upsetting to me. )

Of course it`s racist.

For my daughter that lives in Thailand, she will probably meet a Thai guy. My daughter in England will probably meet an English guy.

My son is presently dating an Indian girl.

I don`t care either way, race and culture is not important to me.

Edited by BigWheelMan

What worries me if my daughter gets married to a Thai man is their attitude when it comes to cheating on their wives. I'm not saying western men don't it just Thai men don't think using condoms is manly and pass HIV to their wives. My wife has an aunt that has been living with it for years, her husband died of aids. At least most western men have the sense to use protection and are less likely to sleep around.

i wouldnt like her to marry a whoremonger like her mother did

i resemble that remark. thankfully i believe my lapses in judgement dont extend to the character of her mother. i do pity those who must contend with that fear though.

i am truly indifferent to race, but suspect that i wont like anyone, period.

i also suspect that the only intention of the poll is to be controversial, and any discussion is so hypothetical for me at this point that i would rather just wait and see what course her future takes.

im struggling enough with that i can control.

Edited by t.s

i wouldnt like her to marry a whoremonger like her mother did

i resemble that remark. thankfully i believe my lapses in judgement dont extend to the character of her mother. i do pity those who must contend with that fear though.

i am truly indifferent to race, but suspect that i wont like anyone, period.

i also suspect that the only intention of the poll is to be controversial, and any discussion is so hypothetical for me at this point that i would rather just wait and see what course her future takes.

im struggling enough with that i can control.

Wasted. Your wit is wasted in a forum such as this, like perils before swine.

I'd rather my daughter didn't marry a whoremonger, regardless of her parents' qualities. I'd certainly prefer her not to choose a husband on the basis of what kind of whoremonger he was. But I do think that the question that you have alluded to is far more interesting than the ignorant and poorly thought out racial-profiling bigot-sorting of the original post.

If we are to have a racist sorting poll, please coudl we have it on the basis of a colour chart?

Unfortunately, the font colour choices don't include

Black as the ace of spades

Ebony

Coffee

Chocolate

Nutmeg

Olive

Tan

Ochre

Lobster-pink

Beetroot-red

Ginger (how do you write that with a hard G?)

Pastey-white

Magnolia

Cemetery-white

etc.

Perhaps someone could give us a proper taxonomy of race to improve the quality of stereotyping and bigotry on this forum?

Thanks very much

SC

As you said (the OP), you did leave out the gay options. What happens if your children are gay?

A very interesting question ........ I guess I'm probably asking too much, but how many members have a son/daughter who they suspect (or know) is gay?

....... the irony is that you probably couldn't find a more accepting & tolerent social enviroment than Thailand in which to bring up a son or daughter who was gay, or into cross-dressing etc etc ..... and if they went on to work in the "bright lights" industry, I would imagine they could do quite well - so long as it was a choice they willingly made and went about things responsibly.

Speaking for myself, I guess I'd be quite shocked at first (as would most parents), but from what I have seen and learn't over the years, gays are perfectly capable of intergrating into society, been productive contributors, having normal relationships with folk - been gay is not a barrier to been a decent likeable person.

As you said (the OP), you did leave out the gay options. What happens if your children are gay?

A very interesting question ........ I guess I'm probably asking too much, but how many members have a son/daughter who they suspect (or know) is gay?

....... the irony is that you probably couldn't find a more accepting & tolerent social enviroment than Thailand in which to bring up a son or daughter who was gay, or into cross-dressing etc etc ..... and if they went on to work in the "bright lights" industry, I would imagine they could do quite well - so long as it was a choice they willingly made and went about things responsibly.

Speaking for myself, I guess I'd be quite shocked at first (as would most parents), but from what I have seen and learn't over the years, gays are perfectly capable of intergrating into society, been productive contributors, having normal relationships with folk - been gay is not a barrier to been a decent likeable person.

This is not quite true Maize.

Some of my work colleagues (Thai) have voiced a dislike to gay people. It appears that it's ok if you are "obviously" gay (fall into an easily identifiable stereo type) whilst it's the same as the western world for those who are masculine in manner but yet do identify as being gay...not permitted (this applies to males only).

So, if the daughter is homosexual, what happens if she is a "lipstick lesbian"? All the guys will like her but what about mum & dad?

EDIT: added "do" in bold.

Edited by elkangorito

Then the poll options still apply: just change 'boyfriend' (and girlfriend) to 'partner'.

There is no way of changing the wording in the poll and you`re already said that Gays are omitted.

Race and sexually are never good subjects to discuss.

Best to omit the whole thread.

Then the poll options still apply: just change 'boyfriend' (and girlfriend) to 'partner'.

There is no way of changing the wording in the poll and you`re already said that Gays are omitted.

Race and sexually are never good subjects to discuss.

Best to omit the whole thread.

That's not very constructive, and you'd be pissing on a lot of bonfires when you stop people boasting about their sexuality or how they don't like go go bars but they're not queer, or stopping people flaunting their bigotries

SC

My 4 y/o son has a cute luke krung girl in his class. He is going to marry her. My daughter is only 1.5 y/o she hasn't made up her mind yet but I hope she choses a luke krung man. The nice thing is they will fit in fine with each others families. BTW I'm not accepteing anything less than 20 million Baht Sin Sod for my daughter so start saving now.

Well, there would a 50 year gap between us, by the time I would be interested... but if u want to auction her off for 20 million, should be no problem. :)

• 2 months later...

I put my daughter to marry a westerner. Why, because I married a Thai woman and I know the psychological stresses it puts you under coming to terms (if you ever can) with a totally allien culture.

my son, I put down as dual national ( I like that term). Don't know why, totally knee-jerk.

I want my daughter to marry a westerner,not German or French, to get a big sinsot.

Want my lad to marry a westerner so I won't have to pay sinsot.

Seriously? That's the second sin sod comment I read.. Could be another interesting poll: how many people would welcome (or demand) a sin sod for their daughter..

well it would be just as 'interesting' or 'uninteresting' as this, depending on how 'fabulous' or NOT you think this one is.

While a sin sod poll would not be race based, like this one, TV requests reading before posting about sin sod.

every possible aspect of it has been covered 100 times.

Just out of interest my adopted 100% Thai daughter is marrying a Thai and is receiving a sin sod of 500,000 baht because she has a western father. Go figure that one

The poll is missing an option .........

Whoever could pay me the largest sinsot, build me a house and send me money every month.

So I couldn't vote.

It's funny you mention that, because around the same time when I started that poll, I did a separate one on if people would expect/demand/appreciate a sin-sod for their daughter.

As you can imagine, that was a controversial topic as well. I believe a remarkably high number of people went for the options that indicated they'd like to receive a sin sod! (Maybe someone can dig up the link)

EDIT: Ah, here it is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Accept-appre...od-t345821.html

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This poll is somewhat silly in that you're suggesting that you would somehow be able to "pick" a spouse for your daughter/son. Simply put, if your daughter grows up in Thailand, the chances are that she'll marry a Thai guy. If she grows up in the west, she'll marry a westerner. Not 100%, of course, but most likely due not only to availability, but environmental influences as well. And if she has any sort of western mindset, your mere suggestion that she "should" marry someone of a particular race will most likely result in her doing the exact opposite. Haven't some of you figured this out yet?

I hope I will succeed in raising my kids well enough, that I will accept and be happy about their own choice of a mate. But I know that may not be the case, I've seen friends with good parents make bad choices and regret it afterwards. One cannot always see what is coming.

Have to admit I am biased towards people who I can more easily identify with, i.e. people from a similar cultural and socioeconomic background, probably because it's easier to read their signals. But even so, country and race aren't major factors in the long run, it just may make me more wary at first, but any person who proves themselves to be good based on their actions is alright with me.

Actually I've decided to invade Thailand ....... my theory.

generation 1) Marry Thai lady (done) ............ pop as many luk krungs as possible (work in progress)

generation 2) Marry all resulting kids to westerners .... pop as many luk krungs (but this time 3/4 western with Thai nationality)

generation 3) and then ........7/8 white

generation 4) and then ........15/16 white ........... about 45 years if they all marry young

(if I can bribe a judge to allow marriage at age 13 .... only 39 years to conquest)

Carry on until Thailand overtaken by mainly white people ........ 4 - 5 generations for a successful invasion!

Edited by sarahsbloke