Potential Problem At Mae Sai Border?

My passport expires in June i.e. 3 months time. I have a double entry tourist visa. I have used one entry and I am going to Mae Sai tomorrow planning to use the second. Will I have a problem and if so, what should I do? Obviously getting a new passport at this stage is impossible.

I have only become aware of the potential problem of trying to enter Thailand with a passport with less than 6 months to run. I know, I know, I should know every law and nuance of immigration procedure. But I don't. What to do?

Some countries will extend passports through their embassies and consulates in foreign countries. This benefits their citizens who happen to have a reason for staying in that foreign country.

You didn't specify your country, so we can't help more than to offer an example. For example, Thai citizens can have their passports extended at the Thai Embassy in Washington DC by three years. This is done by a simple stamp in the current passport. Very quick.

Your country may do the same for you if they have an embassy/consulate in Thailand.

kenk3z

Additional information.

My visa expires March 8 i.e. tomorrow. If I am able to extend my passport I will be on overstay.

I cannot find any information on the UK govt website about the ability to extend passports.

I would really like to know what would happen if someone such as myself went to the border without the knowledge of the six month validity requirement.

I really do not understand why my passport needs to be valid for six months when the visa expires after three.

United Kingdom - British Consulate, Chiang Mai

Address: British Honorary Consulate 198 Bumrungraj Road Chiang Mai 50000

Tel: (053) 263-015 Fax: (053) 263-016

Talk to the consulate tomorrow and get the facts from them. Overstay is not the end of the world, would only be for one or two days. Laws are laws and Thailand has their so does the UK. If you go out Immigration may not let you back in and you do not want to be stuck in no mans land.

You run the risk of being denied entry to Thailand. You will need to get a new passport as soon as possible.

You know you can extend an entry on a tourist visa for 30 days for 1,900 baht at immigration (and a photo). if you didn't do so, I advice you to get the extension tomorrow and right after apply for a new passport.

You run the risk of being denied entry to Thailand. You will need to get a new passport as soon as possible.

You know you can extend an entry on a tourist visa for 30 days for 1,900 baht at immigration (and a photo). if you didn't do so, I advice you to get the extension tomorrow and right after apply for a new passport.

If Im correct informed you can not get a extension of any kind if your passport have less then 6 month left, you have to have a new passport first

That is incorrect. I believe you are mistaken with a visa, for which you would need at least 6 month. For an extension of stay it is no problem. But you will not get an extension beyond the date your passport expires. When you have a new passport, you get the rest of the extension for free.

As I had already bought tickets for myself and my friend on the bus from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai for today, I went with him anyway this morning.

I thought it would do no harm to go and talk to the immigration officer on duty on the entrance to Thailand side. I explained my situation to the two women who were there. Their first reaction was - get a new passport and then come back. I said that I didn't know about the six months stipulation until yesterday and they relented and said "Just this time" (like I'm going to do this again :) ). I don't know why they changed their minds but she said something like "I know you have been in Thailand a long time" as if that explained why she was letting me do this. (FYI mostly on non-Imm 'B's + extensions). I showed her my gratitude by giving her a big smile and very polite wai with a "kawb khun mak krup".

It doesn't hurt to ask nicely and politely. TIT after all. :D

BTW I already had the 30 day extension granted on the passport which had 4 months left at the time.

Thanks to all those who took the time and trouble to reply to this thread. Your help is very much appreciated.