My Food Map To Chiangmai

wjmark

What I noticed was:

Al Hussain (Anusarn market) points at the Mae Ping Hotel beer garden/restaurant, not Anusarn Market.

King's bacon - best : Not sure to be honest, but it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere on the mountain near the Khru Srivichai shrine?

(Ok so to be honest that may just be only one that's off. :) )

Very well done. I would add a couple of places - particularly the lunch buffet at the Amari Rincon - best daily lunch buffet in Chiang Mai - but your comment re: the Grandview is definitely correct - best bargain buffet. Excellent Thai sellection.

good work

i wonder if one or more of the more foodie members that has experienced alot of the eateries in CM could work on a CM eatery google guide and have it pinned to the important topics, that way, anyone wanting new places to try could access the map without having to ask.

I guess it will needed to be updated from time to time, but it shouldnt be difficult i would imagine.

Great idea. But asking yourself= don't you think there is an over-emphasis on shrimp as a qualitiy yard stick??

PLs take this constructively!

I think this is an ok map and I agree about the shrimp. I think it is an amazing idea though. It would be nice if TV could have a map like this that people could add to freely.

Can the Mods please consider to PIN this thread. It has the quality and hard to find info about CM on an easy to read map.

Kudos to WJMark for his hard and insightful work. It will help all newbies and long stays. thanx

• 7 months later...

Update time.

I have deleted some, noted others that may have closed, and I am adding three new ones. Cheers, Mark

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i...f5f6b4ae9cca40b

===

The first I am calling Chiangmai Cuisine until I find the real name. Real Northern 'Ahan Muang' food. Some very interesting flavours, including that very strange chemical-tasting spice that I can't find the name of.

Had a clear soup with a mimosa-type green and sour northern sausage. Another clear soup was the Tom Saap (not Issan style) flavoured with lemon grass, kha, and a flat leaf with a similar taste to coriander. Had a Gaeng Kua Gai - spicy and without a coconut base - a light onion gravy with toasted coriander seeds. Gaeng Penang - not too sweet. Pork tendon Moo Hanlay. Heart of Palm curry.

Located on the last cross street south of Superhighway - between ChangPhak rd and JJ Market street. Across from two shops (I will confirm tomorrow) - JX Internet, and Grace.

===

Next is Eden Restaurant on the little soi (Moon Muang soi 4) running parallel to, and south of, Ratvithi. 100 meters in from Moon Meuang (moat)

So far I have only sampled the coarse duck-liver pate (authentic, and generous portion for 70bt - w/ crusty mini-loaf) and sole (fish was delicious - light yellow sauce, but the fries tasted frozen (!) and kinda mealy). Apparently he makes his own sausages for his BBQ nights. I'll go back. Lots of French like it too - popular place...

===

And for those in Mae Rim, you have a wonderful cook at the little shop beside the Tops. On the right hand side, along the outside wall. K. Jeep makes her own gaeng pastes fresh and has 8 different Som Tams, including a cucumber som tam. The place is a little gem.

Thank you for some new places that I will visit in the next few weeks. One place to avoid is Galare at the top of Suthep Road. We went there tonight to have a farewell dinner with some friends from Europe. We arrived at 6:45, took a table for eight & placed our orders for drinks and food, and what occurred over the next 75 minutes was a complete shambles. I ordered Bia Singh & had to listen whilst a young lady tried to switch me to San Mig which was simply irritating. It took 45 minutes for the last of out drinks to arrive. After one hour we still did not have one quarter of the main courses that had been ordered, despite asking at least three different staff members to find the missing food. They disappeared but nothing accompanied them when they returned & stood mutely in the shadows without attempting to offer an explanation or any hope of food.

We had at least 10 different order takers and waiters in that hour, but eventually our friends were so exasperated that I went in search of someone other than a student. I asked calmly & quietly who was in charge & the 'captain' was pointed out to me, standing behind a grill. I told him how long we had been waiting & he feigned surprise. As my voice became louder, out of earshot of other diners & our table, he said he was sorry. I told him we could not eat apologies, got the bill & declined his offer of a discount.

Avoid this place unless you are not hungry & have the patience of Job. 90 minutes of irritation, mediocre food & a ruined evening was all we got for 1600 Baht