Pai

Chaimai

I was in Pai for a weekend a couple of weeks ago. Here's my tips:

1. You need transport to enjoy the surrounding area and visit places. Take a car, or if you bus or fly in rent a car or motorbike immediately you arrive.

2. Get there early in the day and go around and look at accommodation yourself. There is massive amounts of accommodation in Pai, and around Pai in every direction. Very little of it is easy to find on the internet - and unless you look at your actual room who knows what you will get. All prices are negotiable at the moment except in the very popular central places. I booked in advance following Trip Advisor's advice and had somewhere okay, but wouldn't go back. I spent some time checking out a few places in the surrounding area so that I could make a better choice next time. My best find was a place called Amy's House (google it); up on the hill above Pai - beautiful adobe built rooms, lovely and clean and fresh; best of all no tv, etc... cheap too. Each to their own, but worth a look if you have hippy tendencies!

3. Spend one afternoon at "Fluid". This is the swimming pool and gym, but more importantly a grassed area and pagodas where you can spend a lovely afternoon listening to a great mix of tunes, relaxing, reading a book and eating tasty food (I love their hot open sandwiches)

4. Go to one of the spa resorts, but skip the National Park Pai Hot Springs (unless you have never seen one and want to see hot water bubbling out of the ground and then running down the hill in a small stream - there is nothing else there! Sankamphaeng is much better). If you head towards the NP Pai Hot Springs you will pass a sign on your right, a kilometre or so before you get there, to two resorts that will let you use their spa pools for 50 Baht (I prefer the second one - it doesn't have a sign saying outsiders can use them, but you certainly can if you just go in and ask).

5. At night go to Bebop to see the best live music in town, but don't bother getting there before 10pm at the earliest - nobody else does...

Wikitravel and Travelfish are pretty good for sussing out digs.

Be aware that it's starting to hot up in this area and also slash 'n burn season is kicking off... can make for a miserable stay. One of the spa resorts the previous is on about is Tha Pai Spa Camping and is open to the public. Supposed to only use the one pool on the left but have a wander around and try them all. Some decent digs there now, too, although if you stay there, ask to be put away from the 4wd group of Israelis. :)

Best way to get there if on your tod is undoubtedly motorbike... good fun on a 100 Wave even.

We were there a while ago and there were many nationalities ,young and old,enjoying what Pai has to offer. Rimping Cottage was our choice to stay and we certainly not diasppointed .Right in town ,large garden setting on the river, variety of accom types and excellent breakfast. Previous poster was right about getting around. We hired a brand new Honda automatic bike, 100 baht for ther day and discovered the surrounding countryside. At night there is an interesting st reet market, restaurants aplenty and a fairly active music scene . For 3 rr 4 nights its perfect and the new mini bus service from Chiang mai is only 150 baht each way.