Thai People And Noise

Latindancer

Can anyone offer a few words of wisdom about the levels of noise here in Thailand ? It seems that Thai people actually feel uncomfortable when there is silence. And whenever I go to Tescos or some other public place, there are so many different sources of advertising or pop music that it drives me nuts. They are all going at the same time.

For sheer volume, the Philippines is worse. But Thailand takes the cake for diversity........3 advertising jingles and two announcers going at the same time. Argh ! Is it something to do with the way peoples' brains here process information ?

Loud, yes it is. I've yet to visit a public library but the school ones are pretty quiet. iNternet shops on the other hand... dam_n! all those loud exclamations... I can only imagine what life is like in the Army during war time. There would be no stealth attacks thats for sure.. hear them coming a mile off!

Loud, yes it is. I've yet to visit a public library but the school ones are pretty quiet. iNternet shops on the other hand... dam_n! all those loud exclamations... I can only imagine what life is like in the Army during war time. There would be no stealth attacks thats for sure.. hear them coming a mile off!

This one thing I miss back home, quietness

It must be lack of attention. Whether is in the store or when you are with bunch of friends. They tend to become lauder and lauder to get you attention.

I always wonder why the Thai don’t understand each other sometimes and they have to repeat themselves. I think is because of excessive noise they are always subject too and they lose their hearing as they get older

From the minute you enter a supermarket in Thailand, you are assaulted by noise!

I just don't get it........ Note: never give a microphone to a Thai. :D

3 product demonstrators vying for the loudest broadcast....... Marvellous! :)

Well, it's driving ME away !

It's the multiple sources that are driving me nuts......like having one person talking in one ear, and another person in the other ear.

I take earplugs into Tescos now, but how do Thai people put up with it ? The shop assistants there must be pretty jaded.

I don't want to be another whinger, but this is impinging on me personally, physically. It is very personal when things intrude right into one's mind.

Edited by Latindancer

From the minute you enter a supermarket in Thailand, you are assaulted by noise!

I just don't get it........ Note: never give a microphone to a Thai. :D

3 product demonstrators vying for the loudest broadcast....... Marvellous! :D

Its certainly difficult for persons that have hearing problems. Put me in a quite environment and I can hear conversation, with background noise, forget it. It becomes really uncomfortable as well.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about it because at the rate my hearing is going, I wont hear any of it soon :D .....and thats fine by me :)

Right alongside my house they are building another.

If it was back in UK the builders would have the radio on loud,shouting and singing.

But here,from the 6 guys...silence. A bit of machine noise....nothing else.....weird!

Sadly I am used to the mall noise.

However, I thought I would get away from the noise of BKK for the last long weekend and take the mrs and the kid to the beach.

Her Daddy volunteered to drive us and her Aunt wanted to come along to spend some quality time with the lil one on the way there. Sounded good in theory.

Reality: 2 hours of non-stop blabbering about nothing but food, where's there cheap food etc over and over again. I even asked if we could put on a little driving music to help my son sleep better. Music went on, 20 seconds later the dam_n talking over it continued.

:)

However, I thought I would get away from the noise of BKK for the last long weekend and take the mrs and the kid to the beach.

Her Daddy volunteered to drive us and her Aunt wanted to come along to spend some quality time with the lil one on the way there. Sounded good in theory.

Reality: 2 hours of non-stop blabbering about nothing but food, where's there cheap food etc over and over again. I even asked if we could put on a little driving music to help my son sleep better. Music went on, 20 seconds later the dam_n talking over it continued.

This post has just brought back the memories. The helplessness....when will the blabbering ever stop..aaargh :D

:D

Thai-Life!

Static unassertive chatter, for the sake of it, not for communication!

When they all talk together and giggle and laugh about things which aren't funny at all,

just to cover insecurities, is when I really get high on it!

Our town has a fish festival ever year. And every year what could be a pleasant evening is ruined by the incredible reverberation of noise blasting from several directions. I've mentioned it to a few Thais round about who go to it and they seem oblivious. It took me a while to stop getting worked up over the noise here (and the filth, and the roads) but I still miss the peace and quite of home.

Nearly every somewhat modern Asian city I've ever visited or lived in has had a sometimes ridiculous level of noise. With that being said, I must say that Thailand is probably one of the worst offenders I've experienced so far. I have come to ignore it most days, and rarely even notice it much anymore. In my younger days, I spent too much time with a rifle at my shoulder and caused myself some moderate hearing damage. The ringing in my left ear has droned on for years, but it's only really noticeable when it's very quiet. In those rare quiet moments, I still have the loud ringing in my ears and it's much more annoying than any PA truck, dance music, and overall street noise. Even in the dead of night here, I have to leave the TV on to drown out the ringing or it keeps me awake. The one constant noise factor for me is living next door to a Mosque here in the north. Five times a day I get "The Mullah" blasting the "Call to Prayer" through my bedroom window from the Minaret. I'm all for religious freedom, but I wish that guy would take a day off once in a while.

Poor guy, but you must know food is important for Thais you have been here longer them me i guess :D

Still i hope you enjoyed the beach.

Poor guy, but you must know food is important for Thais you have been here longer them me i guess :D

Still i hope you enjoyed the beach.

Yea I did Rob - except for the noisy ruskies drinking vodka all night - it was very peaceful. :D

Internet shop noise is the best. I want t record it actually. Then if i ever get a thai in my car, I can play it back extra loud to make them feel at home.

I am hoping for a change in the handgun laws...

Yea I did Rob - except for the noisy ruskies drinking vodka all night - it was very peaceful. :D

If you cant beat them.. join them.. i remember sleeping well when drunk.. (only to wake up a bit later to go to the toilet :) )

WHAT NOISE?

I CAN'T HEAR ANY NOISE!

Have you got your hearing aids turned off again. :)

I have to admit I'm hard of hearing. But, not so hard that a rooster crowing 10 feet from my ear doesn't wake me up... at 2AM, then again at 4AM, and 5AM, then continuously starting at 6AM.

Like the Thais, I've slowly grown accustomed to the soi dogs yapping who then set off the private dogs into a howling chorus.

I'm almost looking forward to a time when I need hearing aids. :D

I love music... if it is melodious, but I sure hate that boring, pounding, pop crap you hear every night in the bars. You can forget about trying to have a conversation without yelling in someone's ear. I have to shove my ear so close to someone's face when they are talking they think I'm trying to molest them (which I sometimes am :D ).