What's The Price Of Electricity In Phuket?

kirmizi

Does anyone know the price of electricity per kw/h? I'm paying for power on a separate meter which is fine but I can't get my hands the actual bill for the whole building to see what the rate is. I'm paying at the rate of 5B per kw/h and have been told that it's going up to 6B per kw/h. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance for any info.

Already been discussed here ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Price-Unit-E...amp;hl=electric

I am not aware of any major price increase by the Phuket Electric Co. Price does vary from month to month (up & down) due to a 'index' surcharge (something to do with fuel price ?), but have not noticed any significant increase in our electric unit rate over the past year or so.

3-7 baht depending on what kind of meter and total kwh pr month.

march and april most buildings with many aircons have an increase in price pr unit, since total consumed units increase due to higher temp/more running ac.

My tenants all have separate meter for their units, and I charge 5,50 to also cover some of the common electricity like pumps, pool, hotwaterboiler and lights in common areas.

3-7 baht depending on what kind of meter and total kwh pr month.

Never heard of electric company charging as much as 7 baht/kW, maybe on a temporary meter? But as far as I know the highest charge (by electric company) on a permanent meter is just under 5 baht/kW (incl taxes). I charge my guests 5 baht/kW, and like you that covers the communal electric costs like path/parking/security lights, water pumps, etc. I know that some condo developments charge more to cover their additional costs (personnel/equipment/maintenance).

I had a look at the link that LivinginKata posted to the earlier thread and it looks like elec. bills are a real mess here. I guess I''m not doing too badly at 5 or 6 baht per unit. Thanks for the info.

For a normal farang home, with ac use and computers / tvs etc 4 - 4.5 baht is normal for electric company.. Some landlord consider the meter an additional income, tho I should quickly point out KBB's price seems fair when theres common electric also, I mean some expect 7 or 8.

I am currently billed 8 to the house because its a shared temp meter, I have the landlord pay half so I pay 4, if he ever gets a real meter I will pay the gov rate of course. For a year we had no electric bill at all, there was about 10 plus houses on this estate that simply had 'free' electric from the time when the development folded.

Edited by LivinLOS

Most landlords charge 5 baht or more and make a profit on electricity and water as well.

Checking my last bill for a house in chalong with its own meter it works out at just over 3 baht a unit.

Is that the entire bill including the surcharge and taxes ?? Or just the unit price ??

Thats cheaper than I ever got gov electric.

Most landlords charge 5 baht or more and make a profit on electricity and water as well.

Checking my last bill for a house in chalong with its own meter it works out at just over 3 baht a unit.

A single home will use a low amount of electricty = the lowest rate charged by Electric Company. A block of apartments will use much more electric = the higher rates charged by Electric Company.

Is that the entire bill including the surcharge and taxes ?? Or just the unit price ??

The entire bill i divided the bill by the amount of units we used.

A single home will use a low amount of electricty = the lowest rate charged by Electric Company. A block of apartments will use much more electric = the higher rates charged by Electric Company.

In the house in Rawai I used to always pay 400-600thb per month. Recently, the last three months my bill has been under 300thb, so the government takes care of it, I get bills for 0.

Gotta love Thailand !

Same same. I pay 3.2 bht a unit

Thats really cheap.. I dont doubt you but wonder if theres some aspect.. Like did the house only use 100 or so Kwh for the time or really low use.. Or a low KW meter setup ??

My last gov meter I was running 4.0 - 4.5 ish all in, that was on about 1000 kwh per month. And that was a couple of years ago..

Do different areas pay different rates, like water bills ?? I thought the electric was all one company ??

EDIT :: Posted before I got to this..

Same same. I pay 3.2 bht a unit

Wonder how it breaks down like that.. I really thought the gov min rate was at least that high..

less than approx 100 kwh a month has been free for a year or so, as a part of government stimulus package

when passing some hundred kwh a month, price increases pr unit. between 1000 and 3000 units/month I pay between 4 and 5 baht/unit. If I stay below 400 units(no ac, no poolpump), its approx 3,2 baht/unit

Maybe a low usage thing as I am not in the house much in the day, my usage is usually around 400 to 500 unit mark.

I would like to know if it is an area thing though as I am sure I used to pay more when I lived in Bang Tao

450 units = 1,882 baht = 4.18 baht / unit.

If you never actually see the electricity bill for your house then you can assume you're being charged 'over the top'.

Like many here, I'm in that situation but, funnily enough, when I queried the unit price the amount my landlord charged me halved, even though he told me he was only charging me the price he paid!

I'm not complaining though, as I know a couple of people in 'luxurious' houses they have bought (but are run by a managment company) that pay FAR more than me per unit. They are being well and truly 'ripped off'.

• 9 years later...

My electricity bill this month was outrageous, and hence why im on here looking for a common solution / help to validate the usage. 

I consumed aparently 1800 units of electricity, at 5baht a unit, ended up just over 9,500 THB for 1 month usage. This has gone up about 3 or 4k on my monthly average from last year and monthly ongoing average. 

Im surprised if a new Freezer that i have bought, and perhaps fixing the Hot Water Unit, was not such a good idea, but can't seem to think these items alone could incur such a charge. 

14 minutes ago, zerokewl88 said:

My electricity bill this month was outrageous, and hence why im on here looking for a common solution / help to validate the usage. 

I consumed aparently 1800 units of electricity, at 5baht a unit, ended up just over 9,500 THB for 1 month usage. This has gone up about 3 or 4k on my monthly average from last year and monthly ongoing average. 

Im surprised if a new Freezer that i have bought, and perhaps fixing the Hot Water Unit, was not such a good idea, but can't seem to think these items alone could incur such a charge. 

I have an older very big freezer. Needs about 400 Baht alone. Check if the water heater switches off immediately when not in use. 

One day my electricity bill went up to a lot. And so I checked the meter every day. I saw that it jumped from 199 to 300 instead to 200 and from 399 to 500 etc. I complained at the PEA and the next day I got a new meter. 

1 hour ago, zerokewl88 said:

Air cons not maintained can rack up a lot of extra electricity. Compressor just running running trying to cool.

Hot water water unit would just blow up if thermostat not work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerokewl88 said:

I think you should get an electrician to check thing over. Maybe the electric company will send one.

When you have a sudden doubling of your electricity usage it is possible you have a leak to earth - which could be very dangerous.

Or, could be a problem with the meter, which would also need an electrician to investigate.

We currently pay 6 baht. But, as I understand it, the condo complex buys it at ? baht and the complex adds some to it and that money goes into the overall building's funds to contribute to common property funds. 

It's impossible to find out  what's really happening via our property manager, building manager or juristic person. Go figure!