Uk Settlement Visa

Hi,

I was planning on returning home to the UK to take a postgraduate teaching degree. Was going to go with wife. Used this site, did a lot of research and did think we had a very strong case for getting a UK settlement visa. However, there is now a possibility that my wife may be pregnant. If she is, I'll defer for a year so I can be with my wife and baby rather than studying all the time. Now plan to go in August 2011.

Anyway, my question is:

How does having a child affect my wife's visa application? Will I now need to show more funds in the bank? Is there anything else I need to consider when making the application?

Summary of our details; married since December, lived together since 2006, have spent all of the last 4 years in Thailand together, lots of proof of all this. Returning to UK to sit a PGDE (same as PGCE).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

If anything this would make your case stronger, if you register the birth with the British Embassy, get an English birth certificate and a UK passport for the child as well as a Thai passport your child will then have dual nationallity meaning he/she can comne and go to the UK and Thailand as they please.

My stepson has dual nationality as his father was English, when he goes to England it's straight forward no visa needed, just wish it was that easy for he wife!!

When we first applied for a visit visa for my wife years ago they said, well your son is English so you have to go too!!! 3 days later the visa was ready to collect. Obviously this wasnt a settlement visa that your after.

Good luck for the future with your new familly.

Andy

As said, having a child together can only strengthen the application. However, when the time comes remember that your finances will need to be enough to support the child as well.

For details on how to obtain a British style birth certificate and a British passport for the child, see How to register a birth.

Oh, and congratulations, dad! :)