Red Shirts Ready To Descend On Bangkok As Planned

webfact

"Don't shoot the messenger" :D

Here's a media release from the UDD International Media spokesperson, Sean Boonpracong.

Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/UDDThailand

UDD Media release- For immediate release

THAILAND: THE STATE OF FEAR

George Orwell taught us that, “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act,” and in Thailand, such revolutionaries are to be done away with. The twisted path toward democracy in Thailand is littered with the bodies of the honest. Today, we recognise that these people were guilty only of refusing to remain silent- but at the time the authorities claimed they were dangerous agitators who had to be suppressed for the sake of national security. They were branded malcontents and traitors, and enemies of the Nation, Religion and the Monarchy, so as to gain the peoples silent consent as they were arrested or killed. In the land where history tends to repeat itself, these accusations remain the weapons of choice for the dictators who fear democracy.

It appears that democracy is the very thing that the Abhisit regime fears the most. It masks this reality behind a wall of deceit and a baffling array of stunts aimed at turning Thais against Thais- but people are beginning to see through their insincerity, and the wall of deceit is beginning to crumble. As the wall crumbles, so the regime becomes more fearful, and in its fear, it reveals its true nature- a right-wing military dictatorship that is as disdainful of democracy as it is of equal justice.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship invites those who still believe in democracy to renounce military rule and join us in our call for immediate, internationally monitored general elections. This weekend, we will take to the streets of Bangkok armed with nothing but truth and our sincerity. We will demand an end to the era of military-aristocratic interference in our government, as well as the recognition by such forces that the People are the sovereign rulers of Thailand. We do so in the hope that there will come a time when its citizens will no longer fear oppression or disenfranchisement, but will live as free equals in a truly democratic constitutional monarchy.

If our motives are to be questioned, let those who question them come and see our rally with their own eyes. If our objectives are to be opposed, let them be opposed at the ballot box as in any other civilised nation, not through the suspension of our human rights to free speech or assembly. But if the Abhisit government is as much a puppet for a hardline military junta as we suspect, let it continue down the path it appears to have chosen. But let it not be mistaken in the belief that the Thai people will thank them for it in the end.

Thanks for the laugh tonight, especially the Farang bozos giving instructions on what and not what to do. Those poor folks on that website blinded by pure propaganda. :)

"Today, we recognise that these people were guilty only of refusing to remain silent- but at the time the authorities claimed they were dangerous agitators who had to be suppressed for the sake of national security. They were branded malcontents and traitors, and enemies of the Nation, Religion and the Monarchy, so as to gain the peoples silent consent as they were arrested or killed." Democracy, Thaksin style....murder over 2,000 innocents without trial. Innocent until proven guilty. Whoever writes this drivel should be ashamed.

Edited by frodo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a media release from the UDD International Media spokesperson, Sean Boonpracong.

George Orwell taught us that, “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act,” and in Thailand, such revolutionaries are to be done away with. The twisted path toward democracy in Thailand is littered with the bodies of the honest. Today, we recognise that these people were guilty only of refusing to remain silent- but at the time the authorities claimed they were dangerous agitators who had to be suppressed for the sake of national security. They were branded malcontents and traitors, and enemies of the Nation, Religion and the Monarchy, so as to gain the peoples silent consent as they were arrested or killed. In the land where history tends to repeat itself, these accusations remain the weapons of choice for the dictators who fear democracy.

It appears that democracy is the very thing that the Abhisit regime fears the most. It masks this reality behind a wall of deceit and a baffling array of stunts aimed at turning Thais against Thais- but people are beginning to see through their insincerity, and the wall of deceit is beginning to crumble. As the wall crumbles, so the regime becomes more fearful, and in its fear, it reveals its true nature- a right-wing military dictatorship that is as disdainful of democracy as it is of equal justice.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship invites those who still believe in democracy to renounce military rule and join us in our call for immediate, internationally monitored general elections. This weekend, we will take to the streets of Bangkok armed with nothing but truth and our sincerity. We will demand an end to the era of military-aristocratic interference in our government, as well as the recognition by such forces that the People are the sovereign rulers of Thailand. We do so in the hope that there will come a time when its citizens will no longer fear oppression or disenfranchisement, but will live as free equals in a truly democratic constitutional monarchy.

If our motives are to be questioned, let those who question them come and see our rally with their own eyes. If our objectives are to be opposed, let them be opposed at the ballot box as in any other civilised nation, not through the suspension of our human rights to free speech or assembly. But if the Abhisit government is as much a puppet for a hardline military junta as we suspect, let it continue down the path it appears to have chosen. But let it not be mistaken in the belief that the Thai people will thank them for it in the end.

Excellent words and may they ring true to all. :)

Excellent words and may they ring true to all. :)

Valid points, no doubt. But only if by the Reds minus Thaksin. I remember Thaksin ran a big secret profiling campaign.

It seems that the majority of you 'yellows' assume that the 'reds' are all Thaksin supporters.

I submit that you are most likely wrong.

Sadly we're misled, by the way they always display pictures of the convicted corrupt ex-PM, at every demonstration. I guess that he who pays the piper, calls the tune, in this case.

Perhaps we might be persuaded, if the self-proclaimed UDD-leaders didn't need to fly to Dubai so often, to receive their orders ? :)

If it legitimate to conduct a scare campaign on TV (through the repetitive posting of a so-called "List of Targets") which insinuates the UDD is coming here to loot, rampage and commit regicide for god's sake, then it is perfectly legitimate for me to try and provide a voice of reason, and the other side of the story.

It's high time you realised that the protesters en route to Bangkok are not some foreign horde, not some crazed cult, nor a gang of thieves or murderers. They are Thai people, the disenfranchised majority, who are coming to Bangkok ONLY because that is where the government is based, who have legitimate demands and concerns that continue to be ignored by an illegitimate government that stole their vote off them- and not only once.

I don't care if you oppose them or even fear the current situation (and with the propaganda campaign being waged by the government, who wouldn't be). But if, god forbid, the worst happens and the military actually opens up on these people, please remember what I have said and give them the courtesy of remembering them for who they were... NOT FOR WHAT THE JUNTA WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE THEY ARE.

If it legitimate to conduct a scare campaign on TV (through the repetitive posting of a so-called "List of Targets") which insinuates the UDD is coming here to loot, rampage and commit regicide...

Many, I'm sure, believed that last year during Songkran. Their actions showed otherwise and the people of Bangkok have every reason to be skeptical. Actions speak louder than words, and their actions last year were very clear.

If it legitimate to conduct a scare campaign on TV (through the repetitive posting of a so-called "List of Targets") which insinuates the UDD is coming here to loot, rampage and commit regicide for god's sake, then it is perfectly legitimate for me to try and provide a voice of reason, and the other side of the story.

It's high time you realised that the protesters en route to Bangkok are not some foreign horde, not some crazed cult, nor a gang of thieves or murderers. They are Thai people, the disenfranchised majority, who are coming to Bangkok ONLY because that is where the government is based, who have legitimate demands and concerns that continue to be ignored by an illegitimate government that stole their vote off them- and not only once.

I don't care if you oppose them or even fear the current situation (and with the propaganda campaign being waged by the government, who wouldn't be). But if, god forbid, the worst happens and the military actually opens up on these people, please remember what I have said and give them the courtesy of remembering them for who they were... NOT FOR WHAT THE JUNTA WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE THEY ARE.

Let's see .... there is no Junta in place. There is a democratically elected government. Many (maybe even MOST) of the reds are just good poor farmers that have been duped by Thaksin. However, MANY are anything but that and have announced publicly that they are wanting violence. We do not have to rely on the government to tell us that they are violent and have violent intentions. We have their history AND their recent words to tell us what they want and it isn't peaceful protest!

Correct. There is no junta in place. The red shirt Thaksinistas are NOT the majority. They are trying to overthrow a legal, legitimate elected government with an angry mob. How is this acceptable or anything westerners should support? Most of us are sympathetic with the struggle of the underclasses here, but are not so naive as to believe a dangerous character like Thaksin is the answer.

I remain neutral based on the garbage being served up on a daily basis by both sides.

I think both sides need their heads banging together and then hopefully an adult will come into the equation who has qualities such as accountability, bravery and responsibility.

There are far too many cowards making big statements and hiding behind others. I see far better behaviour from primary school kids on a daily basis.

Hopefully any violence will bring the cretinous filth on both sides of the political divide, who lead their brainwashed followers by very poor example, to their knees and a new dawn will bring in people who truly believe in taking the country, rather than themselves, forward. The chances of this occurring remain very distant.

How very Orwellian, you dont by any chance teach English do you?

I vote we merge all these threads into one as they are all the same arguments over and over again.

Shall we poll it? :)

Most of the arguements are exactly the same ones of the past few years repeated again and again :D

I am serious, each new topic starts off about 3 replied pertaining to the actual topic and then quickly descends into the red v yellow who was elected legit etc etc.

Take a look at the others. One could cut and paste from one to the other and on and on it goes.

Just to lighten the mood.

NOTHENATION outdoes itself again.

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=873

‘Nation’ Seeks Font Size Big Enough For Final, Final Showdown To End All Showdowns Headline"

and

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=874

Pojamon Insists Bt34 Billion Baht Earned By Paethongtan At McDonald’s

For those out there with a humour labotamy, these are spoof stories but funny none the less.

I vote we merge all these threads into one as they are all the same arguments over and over again.

Most of the arguements are exactly the same ones of the past few years repeated again and again :D

I am serious, each new topic starts off about 3 replied pertaining to the actual topic and then quickly descends into the red v yellow who was elected legit etc etc.

Take a look at the others. One could cut and paste from one to the other and on and on it goes.

I am with you on this one --- there are far too many threads about almost the same thing anyways and with the constant propoganda and the "need" to combat it the threads get plain silly. It would be nice to discuss what is happening NOW without having to correct posts about the past that are off-topic anyways!

Shall we poll it? :D

I know I've encountered that ridiculous UDD Statement, quoted from of all places, Facebook :) , pasted onto at least a half dozen of these threads. I didn't think we were supposed to do double (or many more) posts of the same exact thing into different threads on this forum.

Edited by brd199

Yes. True. I can't keep count of the number of times I have posted a time line of events (which anyone can correct if it's wrong) in different threads.

How do you stop it? It happens most when someone posts vague statements or statements that are clearly not true (both sides). Do we just start up a red/yellow/Thaksin/Abhisit thread that we point people to when that happens?

"Don't shoot the messenger" :)

<snip ... see facebook>

Notice that the UDD statements never actually mention Thaksin.

They say they are about the poor and democracy, but they are so intertwined with Thaksin that the message is ignored by most.

Um. Maybe because it isn't actually about Thaksin? Maybe because the UDD knows that in order to get support for an election, they will have to distance themselves from him?

The absence of his name in their press releases is as telling as his name being mentioned in every one of the governments.

Um. Maybe because it isn't actually about Thaksin? Maybe because the UDD knows that in order to get support for an election, they will have to distance themselves from him?

The absence of his name in their press releases is as telling as his name being mentioned in every one of the governments.

But why does he call into every one of their protests? Why do they all carry around his pictures? Why do the red leaders always talk about bringing him back?

All of that, and they don't mention him in their facebook "press release". Why are they trying to hide it?

You are correct, that they need to distance themselves from him, but they don't seem to be doing that except for in facebook. It makes it more like the propaganda it is.

If you believe that then you are even more naive than I thought. However, as you are an eminent political scientist, could you maybe give a little more information into the real political ideology that they supposedly have, and how, or if it will involve pardons for Thaksin et al? Will a UDD backed government return Thaksin's money? Who will be the figure head of a UDD backed government? Why are so many of the UDD protesters carrying Thaksin propaganda? Why is it that Thaksin has had numerous meetings with people involved in the red shirt movement? Will Thaksin continue to make statements that incite protesters to be carry out civil disobedience as he did the last time at Black Songkran? If the UDD are not successful at this point, what will be the future plans of the UDD and Thaksin?

Rubbish, this is all about Thaksin. He, and his proxy poltical party, is far too entwined with the red shirt leadership for it not to be. Any true democracy believing leader would have split from the movement long ago and formed their own grouping. Since we're constantly told that most of them aren't in it for Thaksin they would have a lot of support, with the majority of the current red shirts also splitting. Or would they?

Bottom line -- you cannot be an UDD supporter and not be at least tolerant of Thaksin. Probably the majority of them are actually explicitly Thaksinista. Given Thaksin's proven megalomania, tolerance of the man means opening things up to him to meet his real goals of taking total power again. If you think Thaksin would ever under any circumstances let go of that power if he got it again, well, that is naive. Thus you cannot call UDD a pro-democracy movement. In fact, it is the opposite.

For there to be a real people's power movement in Thailand (one that would attract the support of freedom loving people all over the world) that is both pro democratic and morally credible, it must first as its number one talking point, completely expunge and condemn Thaksin and also completely condemn violence of any kind. Any supporters who show up to an event of this new theoretical movement with Thaksin worship garb would be politely asked to go away as not welcome. The current UDD, the complete opposite of this.

Edited by Jingthing

Sure, since they realize Thaksin has become a pariah - the convincing evidence in the court case, which follwed his photo ops in Cambodia, his seemingly slipping mental health - they are trying to make it appear that it isn't about him. Too little, too late.

Rubbish, this is all about Thaksin. He, and his proxy poltical party, is far too entwined with the red shirt leadership for it not to be. Any true democracy believing leader would have split from the movement long ago and formed their own grouping. Since we're constantly told that most of them aren't in it for Thaksin they would have a lot of support, with the majority of the current red shirts also splitting. Or would they?

You reckon 500 baht is enough to put all of these people in direct confrontation with the army and potentially the population of Bangkok.

These people have seen what has happened in times past in Thailand. It is in no way beyond that realms of possibility that a significant amount of blood could be shed. Times must be desperate if they are willing to put themselves on the line for a few hundred baht. Or maybe, just maybe, some of them believe rightly or wrongly that Thaksin may make life better for them.

Edited by Thai at Heart