Thai Government Will Not Impose Curfew In Bangkok : Suthep

webfact

CAPO getting ready for UDD protests

BANGKOK (NNT) –- The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) is gearing up for mass rallies of the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) this weekend.

Speaking as the CAPO chair, Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs Suthep Thaugsuban announced that the center would deploy 50,000 security officers for peace and safety of the people, confirming that the government would not impose a curfew during the demonstrations.

Military personnel account for three-fifth of the total forces deployed while police officers and civil servants share the rest of the portion.

The officers have started their operations since Wednesday night and they will be on duty until the end of the Internal Security Act on 23 March.

The deputy prime minister promised that no violent measures would be used to control the crowd.

He said officers would carry only shields and batons to protect themselves, and only tear gas and water trucks would be used according to the international standards.

The CAPO has also prepared Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) teams to prevent unrest instigation because many groups as well as a third party are expected to join the demonstrations.

The SWAT teams will be ready to perform their duties within 15 minutes.

Mr Suthep then asked UDD supporters not to drive farm trucks or pick-up trucks to Bangkok to avoid traffic congestion. Personal trucks and vehicles transporting crops unrelated to the rallies are still allowed.

Demonstrators are banned from carrying weapons into the rally sites and not to trespass on government offices and residences of key figures.

Entry to the premises of the military and police is forbidden while the use of media to incite people to violate the laws is also banned.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Technically under the ISA, isn't it the case that the head of the ISOC (Army) and not the government which decides if there is to be a curfew?

I have noticed this many times under the ISA and I am confused. As I understand the army is running the show in the areas of which the ISA stands, and they can legally do what they want pretty much. In the meantime they roll out the politicians to give the appearance that they are running the show.

Please correct me, but if Anupong wants a curfew, legally the government cannot do anything to stop it. I think someone is talking above one's station on this one.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Technically under the ISA, can't the army decide if THEY and NOT THE GOVERNMENT who decide if there is to be a curfew.

I have noticed this many times under the ISA and I am confused. As I understand the army is running the show in the areas of which the ISA stands, and they can legally do what they want pretty much. In the meantime they roll out the politicians to give the appearance that they are running the show.

Please correct me, but if Anupong wants a curfew, legally the government cannot do anything to stop it. Someone is talking above one's station on this one I believe.

If it follows Songkhran, which it may not this time, the military will only do things when Abhisit publically declares he will take responsibility for them, so if it goes wrong......

Of course it doesnt matter if you say there wont be a curfew today. If there is mayhem, death and looting etc going on of course a curfew will be imposed. It all depends on what happens

Technically under the ISA, can't the army decide if THEY and NOT THE GOVERNMENT who decide if there is to be a curfew.

Please correct me, but if Anupong wants a curfew, legally the government cannot do anything to stop it. Someone is talking above one's station on this one I believe.

If it follows Songkhran, which it may not this time, the military will only do things when Abhisit publically declares he will take responsibility for them, so if it goes wrong......

Of course it doesnt matter if you say there wont be a curfew today. If there is mayhem, death and looting etc going on of course a curfew will be imposed. It all depends on what happens

I am just trying to confirm the legal standing of the ISA and ISOC. As far as I know, the army is running the show for the next few days. Legally the ISA provides them with legal impunity as far as I know.

The media is talking to the wrong guy if they are talking to Suthep. Which of course is great for the TV cameras (since no one wants to admit the reality about this law) but rather meaningless if he can't control anything.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Suthep is trying to tell protesters what vehicles they can and cannot drive to the rally. I understand that originally they blocked the use of buses, but unwittingly created a bigger problem.

But never mind. Mr. Suthep is not a UDD organizer deploying Thai citizens to confront this minority, elitist Government. They will do what will be necessary.

Just call an internationally supervised election and stop all this nonsense!

Suthep is trying to tell protesters what vehicles they can and cannot drive to the rally. I understand that originally they blocked the use of buses, but unwittingly created a bigger problem.

But never mind. Mr. Suthep is not a UDD organizer deploying Thai citizens to confront this minority, elitist Government. They will do what will be necessary.

"Minority"?? They formed government by getting together a coalition of the MAJORITY of MPs.

Does any government in the world call an election just because of a few protestors?

I think certain things still need to be approved by the cabinet, but the ISA speeds up those processes. (That's a small part of it anyway).

Which means they work more more quickly? Oh, so the ISA has hidden benefits of efficiency too. Bravo, I think they should impose it on all government activities in that case.

Do they do it by SMS or email to speed up the pigeon post?

Edited by Thai at Heart

:)

The last time I noticed, it was a majority elected government formed by a coalition - no different than when PPP were in power. Funny how people seem to forget this.

The CAPO has also prepared Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) teams to prevent unrest instigation because many groups as well as a third party are expected to join the demonstrations.

The SWAT teams will be ready to perform their duties within 15 minutes.

Does this mean there will be a Yellow Hummer present with SNAFU supervising? :)

The SWAT teams will be ready to perform their duties within 15 minutes... Does it mean Sifu is back in action??? :)

Does that mean it will take them 15 minutes to get wherever they need to go or that it takes them 15 minutes to finish their ba mee nam and check bin?

Either way not likely.

Edited by Thai at Heart

"Minority"?? They formed government by getting together a coalition of the MAJORITY of MPs.

Does any government in the world call an election just because of a few protestors?

And were these MPs chosen by the Thai people in a democratic election?

Technically under the ISA, isn't it the case that the head of the ISOC (Army) and not the government which decides if there is to be a curfew?

Please correct me, but if Anupong wants a curfew, legally the government cannot do anything to stop it. I think someone is talking above one's station on this one.

As Prime Minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva is chairman of ISOC.

eg.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva chaired the ISOC meeting to review security measures under the enforcement of the Internal Security Act (ISA), according to the report.

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90851/6915110.html

Edited by brd199

YES they were.

YES they were.

I was in Bangkok at the time I remember the tanks rolling in as the army took over the Government then the Yellow shirts invaded the airport and closed it down and the army refused to intervene. Then I remember seeing people with Yellow shirts on shooting at people in the streets of Bangkok.I dont remember seeing any elections for Abhisit or his Government. Democratic elections!!!!My arr******e!

:):D:D:D:D

YES they were.

A democratic election under the control of the military -- with martial law still in place in parts of the country -- in which the military openly and blatantly suppressed the PPP -- but were immune to prosecution under their own constitution.

I was in Bangkok at the time I remember the tanks rolling in as the army took over the Government then the Yellow shirts invaded the airport and closed it down and the army refused to intervene. Then I remember seeing people with Yellow shirts on shooting at people in the streets of Bangkok.I dont remember seeing any elections for Abhisit or his Government. Democratic elections!!!!My arr******e!

Do you have some form of memory disorder? Your statement above seems to omit a number of pertinent facts / events.

Do you have some form of memory disorder? Your statement above seems to omit a number of pertinent facts / events.

I have been living and working here for the last 6 years. My current boss warned me about the dangers of retiring early which include becoming paranoid, being unable to remember facts and developing unhealth conspiracy theories. Reading your comments I am concerned that you and many other ex pats on this forum may be displaying these symptoms. Which of the events in my original posting did I not see? Did I miss the election for Abhisit?