The 2010 Formula One Season

Ferrari and there ambition is to have Rossi, they have been trying hard for a long time, the way I see it signing Massa to the end of Rossi's contract is maybe the last hope of getting Rossi, now he broken his leg Ferrari has offered him an old F1 car to drive to get fit again + again offered him again the Test/3rd drivers role

A test drive earlier this year in a 2008 spec F1 car showed him to be less than a 10th of a second slower then the Pole setting time of the experienced F1 driver in the same car. The 2007 test in a 2005 spec car showed he to almost on a par with very experienced Michael Schumacher.

So Ferrari and there ambition appears to be to have a world champion Italian in there Italian F1 car

I was excited by the prospect of Rossi in F1 when the idea was first mooted some years back but since then all we've had is talk and the longer time passes the less chance i think there is of him making the transition successfully, if at all.

Putting in a quick lap is one thing, winning races in an F1 car another.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ferrari and there ambition is to have Rossi, they have been trying hard for a long time, the way I see it signing Massa to the end of Rossi's contract is maybe the last hope of getting Rossi, now he broken his leg Ferrari has offered him an old F1 car to drive to get fit again + again offered him again the Test/3rd drivers role

A test drive earlier this year in a 2008 spec F1 car showed him to be less than a 10th of a second slower then the Pole setting time of the experienced F1 driver in the same car. The 2007 test in a 2005 spec car showed he to almost on a par with very experienced Michael Schumacher.

So Ferrari and there ambition appears to be to have a world champion Italian in there Italian F1 car

I was excited by the prospect of Rossi in F1 when the idea was first mooted some years back but since then all we've had is talk and the longer time passes the less chance i think there is of him making the transition successfully, if at all.

Yes consistency is the key in all motorsports, but much easier to do if you're already quick and in the front of the qualifying pack from the start which only requires one fast lap...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes consistency is the key in all motorsports, but much easier to do if you're already quick and in the front of the qualifying pack from the start which only requires one fast lap...

My point was that we should be catious about reading too much into Rossi managing to bang out a fast lap in an F1 car when given the chance to repeatedly drive lap after lap under no pressure.

If however he was capable of doing what some of the current F1 drivers do and bang out a fast lap in Q3 when under great pressure and knowing you have more than likely only got one shot at it... well that would be proving something.

My point was that we should be catious about reading too much into Rossi managing to bang out a fast lap in an F1 car when given the chance to repeatedly drive lap after lap under no pressure.

If however he was capable of doing what some of the current F1 drivers do and bang out a fast lap in Q3 when under great pressure and knowing you have more than likely only got one shot at it... well that would be proving something.

After 9 World Championships I think 'The Doctor' has shown he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure, and in his F1 tests has shown even with limited running to be very close to established top F1 names. The problem with any future F1 entry lies with the level of commitment afforded by his prospective team. Rossi has now said he will only do this as a third string driver which will make it very difficult for him to establish himself as an F1 winner. If he was shown the single minded commitment and support shown to some I think the story could be somewhat different.

After 9 World Championships I think 'The Doctor' has shown he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure, and in his F1 tests has shown even with limited running to be very close to established top F1 names. The problem with any future F1 entry lies with the level of commitment afforded by his prospective team. Rossi has now said he will only do this as a third string driver which will make it very difficult for him to establish himself as an F1 winner. If he was shown the single minded commitment and support shown to some I think the story could be somewhat different.

I see Di Montezemolo is again pursuing his own agenda............................... From Autosport...

Ferrari boss hits out at slow cars

Luca di MontezemoloFerrari president Luca di Montezemolo has renewed his attack on Formula 1's slowest cars - claiming that if outfits are not quick enough they should not even be allowed to take part in grands prix.

After seeing Fernando Alonso's chances of victory in the Canadian Grand Prix wrecked when he lost time and momentum behind backmarkers, di Montezemolo has again hit out at the backmarkers.

"Cars who perform at GP2-level should not be allowed to participate in F1 races because they are supposed to race on Sunday mornings," di Montezemolo was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Our car's race pace was good enough for victory. Let's hope that, in the future, there won't be mistakes in pushing a button nor in lapping cars that put us at a disadvantage, because we've already gone through that."

Di Montezemolo has said on several occasions that F1 would be better off allowing the big teams to run three cars, rather than bringing in new competitors to boost the grid.

For myself I would rather see more variety than more of same. Also rather unfair bearing in mind the lead time the new teams were given, plus the fact that they are restricted to the Cosworth engine. Maybe if they could compete on a level playing field they would be quicker?

As for Ferrari having trouble with backmarkers surely this is just "sour grapes" :) the other teams seem to cope.

TBWG :D

Well as I said consistency is the key and he is already in the front of that learning curve, after all it's not like he's never seen pressure at the top pro levels before, the only thing "rookie" about him is the fact that an F1 car has 2 more wheels (three if you count the steering :) ) and a host of other adjustments....... Ah never mind, you know what I mean..... Yeah there's a learning curve and it isn't getting straighter the more he delays if he really has any designs on F1..

I see Di Montezemolo is again pursuing his own agenda............................... From Autosport...

Ferrari boss hits out at slow cars

Luca di MontezemoloFerrari president Luca di Montezemolo has renewed his attack on Formula 1's slowest cars - claiming that if outfits are not quick enough they should not even be allowed to take part in grands prix.

After seeing Fernando Alonso's chances of victory in the Canadian Grand Prix wrecked when he lost time and momentum behind backmarkers, di Montezemolo has again hit out at the backmarkers.

"Cars who perform at GP2-level should not be allowed to participate in F1 races because they are supposed to race on Sunday mornings," di Montezemolo was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Our car's race pace was good enough for victory. Let's hope that, in the future, there won't be mistakes in pushing a button nor in lapping cars that put us at a disadvantage, because we've already gone through that."

Di Montezemolo has said on several occasions that F1 would be better off allowing the big teams to run three cars, rather than bringing in new competitors to boost the grid.

For myself I would rather see more variety than more of same. Also rather unfair bearing in mind the lead time the new teams were given, plus the fact that they are restricted to the Cosworth engine. Maybe if they could compete on a level playing field they would be quicker?

As for Ferrari having trouble with backmarkers surely this is just "sour grapes" :) the other teams seem to cope.

TBWG :D

Yeah I guess he's forgotten the years it took Ferrari to gain top billing again, convenient memory and all that and now they've fallen back somewhat since the rules put more restraint on budgets and they no longer have the edge on things like endless tire changes and special "Ferrari only" tire specs for just one major example..He also has lost concept of what it takes to get there and that without race time development within the levels of competition it takes there would be no other top teams and it wasn't even that long ago when teams such as Red Bull we're where these other programs are now and let's not forget former Honda which was Braun GP and is now Mercedes GP after their first championship..By his contention none of these teams should have ever existed in F1..

Bottom line is it seems he want's to take the word "race" out of racing because that is what racing is all about and the team/s that beat them and everyone else didn't seem to have the same problem did they?? Sour grapes.....

Every Race there are backmarkers, from Carting and banger Racing up to F1... A few of use used to watch A1 GP, ALL the cars were the same with the same Ferrari engine, yet most of the Races were won by the Swiss Team, and there were backmarkers.

A year or so ago I thought it would be fun for the TOP drivers to race in the so called backmarkers, this year we have a number of top drivers in backmarkers and there still backmarkers.. Red Bull with a Renault engine way out in front, yet Renault was/is well back, Torro Rosso was the same car but with a Ferrari engine and way back.

Maybe go as in other Races have 2 parts, the 2nd part the grid is reversed so the winner of race one is in 10th ? problem is from 11th to 24th you still have backmarkers

After 9 World Championships I think 'The Doctor' has shown he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure, and in his F1 tests has shown even with limited running to be very close to established top F1 names.

Even given Rossi's outstanding track record on a bike, i think it's foolish to assume on the basis of that and a few tests that he can jump into an F1 car and achieve success. We're are talking about two very different skillsets, and even if we accept that the one he has mastered is the harder of the two (which i happen to believe), that does not necessarily mean he could or would master the other.

It's a bit like Steve Davis trying his hand, as he does, at 9 ball. All his amazing skills on a snooker table that led him to multiple titles hasn't by any means guaranteed him success in pool - a game we can all pick up and play fairly easily.

After 9 World Championships I think 'The Doctor' has shown he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure, and in his F1 tests has shown even with limited running to be very close to established top F1 names.

Even given Rossi's outstanding track record on a bike, i think it's foolish to assume on the basis of that and a few tests that he can jump into an F1 car and achieve success. We're are talking about two very different skillsets, and even if we accept that the one he has mastered is the harder of the two (which i happen to believe), that does not necessarily mean he could or would master the other.

This is true, he has indicated that his heart is with the bikes ,which have given him such success. There still is this flirting with Ferrari and the talk and speculation over the last few years carries on, will he or won't he?

I don't know, it sounds like the man himself does'nt know.

Somehow I can't really see it happening though. There is talk in the press of Ducati preparing to make him an offer he can't refuse to join the factory team from next year.

Rossi's contract with Yamaha expires at the end of this season.

Even given Rossi's outstanding track record on a bike, i think it's foolish to assume

That's true but I don't think anyone is making that assumption, BUT if there was anyone in the last 30 years or so that could have made a success of that transition it has to be Rossi.

Equally true is that we're never likely to find out, which is a shame :).

Also over the years we have had young 'Stars' but turned out to a big flop in F1, some have gone to other formulas and tin top and always run near or at the top.

Indeed.

No better example than Michael Andretti.

Even given Rossi's outstanding track record on a bike, i think it's foolish to assume

That's true but I don't think anyone is making that assumption,

I took this statement: After 9 World Championships I think 'The Doctor' has shown he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure

as an assumption that because he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure on a bike, he can also do the same in a car.

BUT if there was anyone in the last 30 years or so that could have made a success of that transition it has to be Rossi.

Agreed.

Equally true is that we're never likely to find out, which is a shame :).

It is a shame, but at the end of the day it's down to Rossi. The chance is there for him. Does he want to take it? At the moment, it seems not...

It's a bit like Steve Davis trying his hand, as he does, at 9 ball. All his amazing skills on a snooker table that led him to multiple titles hasn't by any means guaranteed him success in pool - a game we can all pick up and play fairly easily.

Ok well then I bow out to your superior knowledge in this regard and let you have the win,, so now you can go have a beer and pat your belly in joyous reward.. :D:)

How about Michael Schumacher on bikes.

He was racing before the return to F1.

This is a photo of him trying out Ducati's Desmocedici.

Now that's another kettle of fish, going from 4 wheels to 2 wheels is all together different learning curve and he also began way too late.

Also over the years we have had young 'Stars' but turned out to a big flop in F1, some have gone to other formulas and tin top and always run near or at the top.

The primary reason for this as I've stated before is that very few of the F1 drivers are actually contracted and paid by the team without bringing in their own financial resources of support so therefore their equipment and thus their talent is directly related to the resources their budget can provide and therefore = to their talent level.

The most recent case of this being true was Jenson Button who was mired in mediocrity until he was given an opportunity that turned out to be the golden goose due to the timing of rules changes and a top tier team owner/manager in Ross Braun..

But initially they were not expected to be any sort of threat in their first season so his being chosen was not of some fantastic future vision of his potential but was due to his ability to at least finish well which is what a first year team needs and they got much more because of their ability to see an edge in the rules that no one else did it is also not lost that they struggled much of the season with only Virgin as the primary sponsor and a tight budget... That launched him from mediocrity to McLaren who brings their own budget to the table which is why they can pick and choose between drivers and talent and there is only a select few of those teams in motorsports let alone F1..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Ok well then I bow out to your superior knowledge in this regard and let you have the win,, so now you can go have a beer and pat your belly in joyous reward.. :D:)

I don't have superior knowledge, and i'm not trying to win anything, i'm just expressing my opinion... that's kind of the idea of threads like these.

:D

I took this statement: After 9 World Championships I think 'The Doctor' has shown he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure

as an assumption that because he can put in consistently fast laps under pressure on a bike, he can also do the same in a car.

No, you're adding 2+2 to make 5, my post was a response to your post where you inferred Rossi might find it difficult to perform in F1 under pressure. I was trying to show he has shown himself well able to perform under pressure so far, and that was my point.

Whether he can do this in a full-time F1 environment is a rather different matter and of course an unknown. Sadly it's likely to remain so !

I don't have superior knowledge, and i'm not trying to win anything, i'm just expressing my opinion... that's kind of the idea of threads like these.

Right but when it seems to be impossible to get a valid point across and every turn is a counterpoint rightly or wrongly though nonsensical in spite of the obvious logic behind it someones got to back out or it becomes a huge point of contention and an argument so I conceded first..

I'm always curious if these sort of people would make the same contentions with someone else of equally longstanding experience in the racing field or if they would ever listen and give sincere consideration, analogy and scrutiny to what is actually being said?

No, you're adding 2+2 to make 5, my post was a response to your post where you inferred Rossi might find it difficult to perform in F1 under pressure. I was trying to show he has shown himself well able to perform under pressure so far, and that was my point.

Whether he can do this in a full-time F1 environment is a rather different matter and of course an unknown. Sadly it's likely to remain so !

Spot on, I tired to vote positively for your post but that seems to be inactive as it says I've given away all I can for today and yet I've given none until now :) ?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Right but when it seems to be impossible to get a valid point across and every turn is a counterpoint rightly or wrongly though nonsensical in spite of the obvious logic behind it someones got to back out or it becomes a huge point of contention and an argument so I conceded first..

There was no need to concede. Have you not heard of agreeing to disagree? In the current world cup thread on the football forum you responded in exactly the same way as now to a difference of opinion - you took it as some sort of a personal attack on you and took umbrage. It wasn't meant that way then and it's not meant that way now. It's possible to live together on a forum respectfully in disagreement. We are all adults here - well most of us. :D

That's what I did is it that difficult for you to leave and walk away it seems so there are a few here that same way what do you care how I take it? Just drop the issue and leave it to go away like I had......I agree no need to concede when you know someone is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative no matter how ill informed they are it's just time to let go so that's what I did and let you think you're right now you take issue with that too?? :huh::blink:

Yeah and the inference on that last comment wasn't meant to instigate either was it? And it was most certainly very adult like....

Edited by WarpSpeed

That's what I did is it that difficult for you to leave and walk away it seems so there are a few here that same way what do you care how I take it?

Full-stop button broken?

I don't care how you take it. Was just trying to have a discussion with you before you stormed off disingenuously declaring that i had "won".

no need to concede when you know someone is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative

I wasn't being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, i was being argumentative for the sake of not agreeing with what you were saying - something you seem to struggle with - people having a different opinion.

no matter how ill informed they are

Speaks volumes that you think like this.

Yeah and the inference on that last comment wasn't meant to instigate either was it? And it was most certainly very adult like....

Actually when i wrote that i wasn't thinking of you or anyone for that matter on this thread. Re-reading it i can see how you might have taken it that way. I apologise for that.

It seems that Ferrari and Alonso are back.......

Valencia - First Free practice time: 1. Alonso (Ferrari) 1'39"283 (media 196,493 km/h); 2. Vettel (Red Bull) 1'39"339; 3. Webber (Red Bull) 1'39"427; 4. Rosberg (Mercedes) 1'39"650; 5. Hamilton (McLaren) 1'39"749; 6. Kubica (Renault) 1'39"880; 7. Massa (Ferrari) 1'39"947; 8. Sutil (Force India) 1'40"020; 9. Button (McLaren) 1'40"029; 10. Barrichello (Williams) 1'40"174.