The 2010 Formula One Season

It seems that Ferrari and Alonso are back.......

Valencia - First Free practice time: 1. Alonso (Ferrari) 1'39"283 (media 196,493 km/h); 2. Vettel (Red Bull) 1'39"339; 3. Webber (Red Bull) 1'39"427; 4. Rosberg (Mercedes) 1'39"650; 5. Hamilton (McLaren) 1'39"749; 6. Kubica (Renault) 1'39"880; 7. Massa (Ferrari) 1'39"947; 8. Sutil (Force India) 1'40"020; 9. Button (McLaren) 1'40"029; 10. Barrichello (Williams) 1'40"174.

Certainly close but a bit of sandbagging going on, :ph34r: will only be certain after Quali, but is going to be a close race round the industrial car park! Also why do Spain need 2 GP's in 2 months ... I think lots of empty grandstand seats!

TBWG :wai:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Valencia - First Free practice time: 1. Alonso (Ferrari) 1'39"283 (media 196,493 km/h); 2. Vettel (Red Bull) 1'39"339; 3. Webber (Red Bull) 1'39"427; 4. Rosberg (Mercedes) 1'39"650; 5. Hamilton (McLaren) 1'39"749; 6. Kubica (Renault) 1'39"880; 7. Massa (Ferrari) 1'39"947; 8. Sutil (Force India) 1'40"020; 9. Button (McLaren) 1'40"029; 10. Barrichello (Williams) 1'40"174.

Doesn't really mean anything. Drivers racing on home turf often top the practice sheets as the team run the car as fast as possible to give the local fans something to cheer about. Let's wait until Sunday before declaring Ferrari and Alonso are back.

Doesn't really mean anything. Drivers racing on home turf often top the practice sheets as the team run the car as fast as possible to give the local fans something to cheer about. Let's wait until Sunday before declaring Ferrari and Alonso are back.

Obviously, i'm one of that "local fans"...and really hope to see them back!!! ;)

I have managed to watch most of the F1 championship racs so far this year, but cannot see where the great (!?) Tuevisions are letting us see the race in Valencia this w/e (26/27 June). Yes, it's usually on Starsports, but I can't find it listed. It starts at 1300 on Sunday, which means 1900 here...... Can anyone help?

I have managed to watch most of the F1 championship racs so far this year, but cannot see where the great (!?) Tuevisions are letting us see the race in Valencia this w/e (26/27 June). Yes, it's usually on Starsports, but I can't find it listed. It starts at 1300 on Sunday, which means 1900 here...... Can anyone help?

Because of Wimbledon it's switching to ESPN.

Qualifying is being shown today at the delayed time of 21.30. Race tomorrow is on at 18.45..

Also why do Spain need 2 GP's in 2 months ... I think lots of empty grandstand seats!

In the days of Schumi we had two races in Germany. The German GP at Hockenhein and the European GP at Nurburgring. It's a nonsense. Might just as well call it German GP 1 and German GP 2.

Same as now. Two Spain GPs. Pandering to all the Spanish glory hunters who suddenly became interested in F1 when Alonso came on the scene.

Hi

Well to a certain extent its business as usual at the front with entire top ten covered by less than a second!

But ~~~ what happened to Force India and Mercedes? knocked out in Q2. As a long suffering Williams supporter I finally have something to cheer about with Nico & Rubens setting identical times to nearest 1,000th of a second! :)

Once again a good showing for Renault punching above their weight. Who knows what will happen in race but I'll be happy with a win by anyone other than Alonso!

Would also like to think MS is on his bike soon and gives someone else a crack at F1 (undecided as to whether it should be Hiedfeld).

Roll on the race, which I hope will not be a boring procession.

Roll on the race, which I hope will not be a boring procession.

The track looks beautiful but the last two years has produced very boring races due to the fact that over-taking is almost impossible unless you have a much faster car. The way the cars were so close together in qualifying, i fear the worst, especially now with no refueling. Only thing to hope for is rain, but that seems highly unlikely.

Well done to Vettel by the way for putting aside the presssure he must be under and getting on pole.

Pray for rain everyone :lol: Now then, Dawson said Spain is blessed by 3 great tracks, so what's the 3rd one. They should either scrap the European GP or at the beginning of each season, draw the track out of a hat. Please Note, that excludes Turkey,I believe the track is east of the bosphorous. That means it's in Asia. As for Mercedes, what must Schumi be thinking now?

Pray for rain everyone :lol: Now then, Dawson said Spain is blessed by 3 great tracks, so what's the 3rd one. They should either scrap the European GP or at the beginning of each season, draw the track out of a hat. Please Note, that excludes Turkey,I believe the track is east of the bosphorous. That means it's in Asia. As for Mercedes, what must Schumi be thinking now?

I seem to recall Montjuich Park (spl)in Barcelona. Can still see that horrendous fire there when Jackie Oliver's BRM collided with ?

I seem to recall Montjuich Park (spl)in Barcelona. Can still see that horrendous fire there when Jackie Oliver's BRM collided with ?

Jacky Ickx's Ferrari........... but that was at the Jarama circuit not Montjuich !

Anybody know if this race will be shown on Pattaya Sophon cable tonight or have they fixed the channels for the footy? As there is only the England v Germany game on I'm sure they could stick this on at 7pm on the other sports channel.

Almost every driver bar Lewis under investigation after the race. Disqualify em I say, especially the red ones.

The red ones??? I think you got it wrong!!!

Hamilton should have been penalized with more than just a drive through!!!! but of course he drives for a Mclaren FIA Mercedes

Almost every driver bar Lewis under investigation after the race. Disqualify em I say, especially the red ones.

The red ones??? I think you got it wrong!!!

Hamilton should have been penalized with more than just a drive through!!!! but of course he drives for a Mclaren FIA Mercedes

I was taking the piss. However if you want to complain about FIA bias. No team has suffered more than McLaren under Mosley's jurisdiction. FIA Ferrari IA

Edited by Mosha

Webbo a lucky man to walk away from that one!

What goes around comes around! Alonso wingeing again about the rules being manipulated, I tend to sympathise with Hamilton who seemed unsure what to do when the safety car arrived at end of pit line almost simultaneously and at speed. A decision to be taken in a fraction of a second.

Unlike a premeditated act of testing under the guise of filming. Manipulating the rules with the benefit of many days planning.

Back to Webbos shunt, can you imagine the recriminations had it been Alonso taking the flying lessons! Full marks to Mark for reacting in such a sensible way.

Your interest in Formula One must have started yesterday.

The FIA in cahoots with McLaren?!!!! :lol: Thanks for the laugh mate.

What goes around comes around! Alonso wingeing again about the rules being manipulated, I tend to sympathise with Hamilton who seemed unsure what to do when the safety car arrived at end of pit line almost simultaneously and at speed. A decision to be taken in a fraction of a second.

I'd like to see some more repeats to be certain, but from those that i have seen it looked like Lewis and the safety car arrived at the white line almost at exactly the same time, so i think to suggest there was an attempt at cheating going on is very harsh. It was simply a split second decision like you say TBWG. That the penalty that was given to Hamilton ended up not effecting his race too much is not a fault of his or a fault of the track officials. It's a fault of the system in place.

Alonso's moaning was pathetic. He should get on with his race and let other people worry about this sort of stuff. Until the day he hands back his winner's medal from Singapore, he should keep quiet about what he perceives as injusticies, because he's a living example.

Latest UPDATE

Nine drivers given five-second penalties

The FIA has handed five-second penalties to nine Formula 1 drivers for a safety car rules breach during the European Grand Prix.

Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Hulkenberg, Robert Kubica, Vitaly Petrov, Adrian Sutil, Sebastien Buemi, Pedro de la Rosa and Vitantonio Liuzzi have been penalised after the race for exceeding the safety car-in lap time.

The penalties mean Fernando Alonso is elevated from ninth to eighth, as he overtakes Buemi, and Nico Rosberg gets the final point from de la Rosa, 10th in the race.

The rest of the point-scoring positions remain unchanged.

The stewards also announced a 20-second penalty for Virgin's Timo Glock for ignoring blue flags.

So not too much of a change but The Brat gains a place ~~~ feel sorry for De La Rosa. :(

I know F1 drivers tend to stretch the truth. However if Jenson was right about his track position when the safety car was announced. That was a harsh decision. The pit to car between Alonso and the pits should be turned into a comedy sketch. Well it made me laugh. :cheesy:

Latest UPDATE

Nine drivers given five-second penalties

The FIA has handed five-second penalties to nine Formula 1 drivers for a safety car rules breach during the European Grand Prix.

Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Hulkenberg, Robert Kubica, Vitaly Petrov, Adrian Sutil, Sebastien Buemi, Pedro de la Rosa and Vitantonio Liuzzi have been penalised after the race for exceeding the safety car-in lap time.

The penalties mean Fernando Alonso is elevated from ninth to eighth, as he overtakes Buemi, and Nico Rosberg gets the final point from de la Rosa, 10th in the race.

The rest of the point-scoring positions remain unchanged.

The stewards also announced a 20-second penalty for Virgin's Timo Glock for ignoring blue flags.

So not too much of a change but The Brat gains a place ~~~ feel sorry for De La Rosa. :(

When I watched the footage, and it's hard to judge. It looks like just before the critical point. One of the cars changed pace. Did Lewis back of slightly due to uncertainty? Did the safety car accelerate?

I'm also becoming irritated with the blue flags this season. I didn't notice it this last race, but there seems to be a lot of waving at cars that are on the same lap. I'm pleased Mark was ok, but this season he seems to have had a few races where he has left his brain in the pit for safe keeping, along with his watch.

Your interest in Formula One must have started yesterday.

The FIA in cahoots with McLaren?!!!! :lol: Thanks for the laugh mate.

In the last two races Mclaren have been clearly "helped" by the FIA.

In Montreal, Mclaren had a fuel "misunderstanding" but obviously this was all arranged as there was was no stated rule for the car to return to the pits under it's own power and that they would only incur a fine for not making it back in the required 1:30 seconds as stated by the FIA. This is precisely what happened. After the race the FIA warned other teams should not try this in the future as the FIA is sure to crack down on running cars effectively under weight and stranding them by the side of the track ( why they didn't do it with Hamilton?? ). Mclaren saved 2.3kg of fuel with this trick and that 2.3 kg in Montreal equals to 2/10th.

However, I must admit that the best car and best driver won in Montreal. Hamilton was faultless.

In Valencia....just a simple question. Does it take 12 laps ( 12 x 1.40 = approx 16 minutes ) to realize that Hamilton did overtake the safety car??? Oh, what a coincidence in that amount of time he opened a gap of over 15 sec. when the drive through is only 13 secs.

Moreover, Alonso should stop talking and thinking about other drivers and start to drive properly.

Cheers

In the last two races Mclaren have been clearly "helped" by the FIA.

In Montreal, Mclaren had a fuel "misunderstanding" but obviously this was all arranged as there was was no stated rule for the car to return to the pits under it's own power and that they would only incur a fine for not making it back in the required 1:30 seconds as stated by the FIA. This is precisely what happened. After the race the FIA warned other teams should not try this in the future as the FIA is sure to crack down on running cars effectively under weight and stranding them by the side of the track ( why they didn't do it with Hamilton?? ). Mclaren saved 2.3kg of fuel with this trick and that 2.3 kg in Montreal equals to 2/10th.

However, I must admit that the best car and best driver won in Montreal. Hamilton was faultless.

In Valencia....just a simple question. Does it take 12 laps ( 12 x 1.40 = approx 16 minutes ) to realize that Hamilton did overtake the safety car??? Oh, what a coincidence in that amount of time he opened a gap of over 15 sec. when the drive through is only 13 secs.

Moreover, Alonso should stop talking and thinking about other drivers and start to drive properly.

Cheers

In terms of the fuel situation in qualifying for Montreal, i agree that the rules need to be looked at to prevent teams deliberately doing this in the future, but don't agree as has been implied that McLaren had planned it this way. Lewis should have set his fastest lap already, and doing the extra lap on rapidly wearing tyres should have been a waste of time - but he managed to pull something special out. The time gained by the low fuel level was potentially suspected from what i heard to be about 0.1 of a second - this time was not enough to earn him pole - the way he drove was. 0.2 sounds high to me, but even that difference taken away still has him on pole i believe.

As far as the time it took to award Lewis his penalty in Valencia - yes i agree it was long but this has been standard practice for some time now. Take Rosberg's penalty in Singapore that took even longer (30 laps i think) and allowed him also to lose no places when he came back out? Were you screaming conspiracy then?

There's no doubt that some of the rules and regulations are not particularly fair. Just take the way the safety car robs drivers of any accumulated time they may have built up as one example. But no matter how unfair those rules can be, they are the same for each and every driver, and every driver knows and accepts the rules before they go racing.

Alonso showing how upset it made him that Lewis was not being punished as severely as he would have liked has made him appear small-minded and undignified. Understandable for him to feel hard done by but he should have kept it to himself and complained behind closed doors. He has shown that Lewis gets to him - that he ruffles his feathers. You should never show your opponent that. It is weakness and can be exploited.

And for Ferrari to be getting their knickers in a twist with the FIA and making wild claims about fixing is frankly rich considering how they have benefited from the FIA's decisions in the last few years.

One thing seems to be obvious: The safety car rules need to be revised. This is the second time that we have a controversy over the safety car and how the drivers have to behave. Obviously the rules are not clear.

In Monaco, it appears that what MS did, actually was correct (overtaking FA), but he was penalized anyway and lost places and points. Now it was also clear (at least to the marshals) that what LH did was not correct, but he suffered no consequence, despite the drive-through penalty.

Bottom line: When you do something, which is correct, you get punished and when you break the rule you suffer no consequences. That's not fair.

Please FIA, make a total revision of the safety car regulations and make them simple and clear. Some ideas:

- Wait to deploy the SC on track until the leading car approaches the start/finish line and put the SC in front of it. Until then, yellow flag the whole track so that there is no overtaking.

- Red light at pit exit only until SC is out on track.

- After SC comes in, no overtaking until start/finish line (I think this has now been implemented)

- Penalties should tend to restore the "quo ante" situation. A 5 sec penalty after the race is ridiculous.

- And most important: Don't deploy the SC for every little fender-bender.