The 2010 Formula One Season

With the benefit of hindsight, its possible that Hamilton would have fared better not stopping again.

However, Martin Whitmarsh says that his tyres weren't good enough for the remainder of the race. Perhaps, perhaps not but either way its entirely understandable that Mclaren would hedge their bets by leaving one driver on old tyres and giving fresh tyres to the other driver. Let's not forget that Hamilton was 2 seconds a lap faster on fresh tyres than the front runners - he caught them up in no time. Mclaren also didn't know whether the front runners were going to pit again for new tyres.

You make some good points and at the end of the day, one will never know for certain what would have happened had he pitted only once. However, from the shocked tone we heard from Lewis on the car to pit radio concerning the fact that most other drivers weren't going to be stopping again, it seems that the one stop strategy wasn't seriously discussed between Lewis and the team. It obviously should have been.

Yes, he tried an overtaking move (when Webber took him out), but it didn't look as if it was going to succeed. Overtaking wise, on poor tyres things weren't about to improve.

Perhaps my recollection fails me of the incident, but it was my impression that Lewis had the line going in to the corner and looked favourite to come out ahead of Alonso when Webber came piling in from behind.

You are right about his tyres having gone off, but even so he was obviously quicker than the Ferraris.

Watching the move again on youtube, its fairly clear that Hamilton's move wasn't going to 'stick' against Alonso. Webber (unlike Alonso and Hamilton) didn't slow down as he was sticking v close to Hamilton, hoping to gain from any mistake. As it turned out, Webber made the mistake!

I agree that the Mclaren was faster than the Ferraris, but with the tyres going 'off', I still don't think he could have got past - as, IMO, this move proved.

I think this race proved that the Mclaren is the car to beat when it comes to overtaking, but once the tyres are gone - forget it - its not going to work even with Mclaren's incredible speed in the straights and (I think!) coming out of corners.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching the move again on youtube, its fairly clear that Hamilton's move wasn't going to 'stick' against Alonso. Webber (unlike Alonso and Hamilton) didn't slow down as he was sticking v close to Hamilton, hoping to gain from any mistake. As it turned out, Webber made the mistake!

I've just taken a look myself on youtube and have to agree that you are right, he was pulling out of the move when he got whacked by Webber. That said, he had on that straight not only drawn level with Alonso, but started going past when he had to brake for the corner, so i think it was only time before he made the move stick. His tyres were off but so were Alonso's and he was carrying quite a bit more speed. Of course it's also quite possible that they themselves would have had a coming together. Shame that Webber denied us seeing the outcome.

I've just taken a look myself on youtube and have to agree that you are right, he was pulling out of the move when he got whacked by Webber. That said, he had on that straight not only drawn level with Alonso, but started going past when he had to brake for the corner, so i think it was only time before he made the move stick. His tyres were off but so were Alonso's and he was carrying quite a bit more speed. Of course it's also quite possible that they themselves would have had a coming together. Shame that Webber denied us seeing the outcome.

Funnily enough, before the Webber/Hamilton accident I was expecting an Alonso/Hamilton collision! Alonso wasn't about to give the place up easily (even though his car was slower) and Hamilton isn't averse to risky moves 'daring' the driver he's overtaking to hit him!

Quick edit - come to that, neither is Alonso, as the first lap collision between him and Button proved! I know he was 'squeezed', but he expected Button to back off and let him through. As far as I could see Button did back off (to a certain extent), but not enough to avoid clipping him.

Edited by F1fanatic

Spit the dummy?! The team messed up tactics - that was clear for everyone to see. Lewis stated it and expressed his frustration. Don't see the problem.

Well he's now telling a different story,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82529

which is exactly my point, I just think he should be little more circumspect when he talks publicly about his team ?

The whinning thing was something the British media played up to the max. Knocking successful sports people down once they reach the top is their usual habit as we all know. Had much more to do with his boring monotone speech than with what he was actually saying. To a lesser extent they did the same thing with Kimi.

Sorry not true, it was actually something that was well documented by the crew within the teams he drove for, Lotus and Williams included !

Anyways the good news from the weekend is F1 is not dead as so many tried to claim after Bahrain, just a shame that Melbourne cannot get the season opening slot back :)

I'm going down to watch the race by flying with Air Asia to KL. It will be my first Malaysian GP. Can somebody tell me ithe best way to get from Air Asia's low cost terminal to the track at Sepang. I'm hoping there is a cheap shuttle bus going direct. Individual taxi might be expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well he's now telling a different story,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82529

which is exactly my point, I just think he should be little more circumspect when he talks publicly about his team ?

If it's only people who are already set against Lewis saying he should be more circumspect, i don't think he'll be too worried. What matters most is what he is doing on the track and how he, the team and his team mate all work together.

Sorry not true, it was actually something that was well documented by the crew within the teams he drove for, Lotus and Williams included !

If you are looking to dish the dirt i'm sure you can find people on the inside who worked with other top drivers who found them hard work with at times also. Big deal. It's a high pressure world with a lot at stake and with a lot of strong personalities. Friction and tension is inevitable and more than likely necessary. At the end of the day the history books don't take notice of the "he said" - "she said" nonsense, just who did the winning - something Mansell did his share of, as well as entertaining.

I'm going down to watch the race by flying with Air Asia to KL. It will be my first Malaysian GP. Can somebody tell me ithe best way to get from Air Asia's low cost terminal to the track at Sepang. I'm hoping there is a cheap shuttle bus going direct. Individual taxi might be expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi.

I went to watch last years Moto GP at Sepang.

The budget terminal is really close to the track so getting there will be no problem, I would imagine that there will be some kind of transport ( bus ) available to the track but I took a cab as it was jump in and go, but had to buy a ticket inside the terminal building before to jump in.

Most Malays have a good command of English language so there is no problem there.

I can't remember the cost but it was certainly not expensive and took us up to the entrance within 10 minutes of the airport.

Have a good time.

.and the forcast for Sepang is rain. No surprise for us, especially those of us living in the Perninsula. :)

yes :D

Its p***ing down almost everyday now here in Singapore. Mostly late afternoon.

I'm sooo jealous! Afraid I can't help you, but I hope you have a great weekend (I'm sure you will!).

Sounds as if Malaysia (with the rain) should be an exciting race :D . Can't wait, although I'm going to have to watch it on the TV :) .

what team do you bet on The 2010 Formula One Season

Very early days yet obviously, but at the moment my money would be on either Mclaren or Ferrari.

Red Bull don't seem to have the reliability yet and whilst their car is great for qualifying (looks like a major plus at the moment), it doesn't seem to carry the same advantage into the race.

Mercedes aren't as good as the other three yet, but perhaps they'll improve.

Mercedes aren't as good as the other three yet, but perhaps they'll improve.

????? Maybe that time has come

After 1st practice

Top was 2x McLaren followed by 2x Mercedes

After 2nd practice the top 10

1 LC Hamilton (GBR) McLaren 1'34.175

2 S Vettel (GER) Red Bull 1'34.441

3 N Rosberg (GER) Mercedes 1'34.443

4 J Button (GBR) McLaren 1'34.538

5 M Schumacher (GER) Mercedes 1'34.674

6 R Kubica (POL) Renault 1'35.148

7 F Alonso (ESP) Ferrari 1'35.581

8 S Buemi (SUI) Toro Rosso 1'35.660

9 V Petrov (RUS) Renault 1'35.872

10 A Sutil (GER) Force India 1'35.957

The 2 Renault are well up + after last weekend Renault could be in the top runners

I don't know about further south, but no rain here today in Ranong.

At the race trace at Sepang NO RAIN, there was a little rain after the 1st Practice which ended 10:30 Thai time, but track was dry by 2nd practice at 12 noon Thai time.

Fair play.

Its not rained for two days now in Singapore so hopefully the crowds will be dry.

Personally I would like to see some rain as it makes the race generally more exciting.

more reliability problems for Red Bull then, such bad luck

hopefully this race will be better for them

hope it rains to be honest, it throws out the unpredictability factor, its a bit of a leveller and we see how talented they are at 10 tenths in the wet without the traction control gizmos

I don't mind a wet race, what I don't want is so much rain they might as well abandon it. I.E. Following the safety car round for 30 minutes or so.

agree, its worse for the punters that have paid for tickets

quite a few have spun in Q1, looks like theyre earning their monies worth today...

oooooh Buttons just spun out of Q1!!!

Thats probably one of the best qualifying sessions.

I gladly welcome more weather like this for qualifying in the future.

Great.......I do hope its dry for the race tomorrow for ,,,lets say,,the start and finish. A cloud burst mid way would make the race as interesting as todays qualifying.

Cheers

Thats probably one of the best qualifying sessions.

I gladly welcome more weather like this for qualifying in the future.

Great.......I do hope its dry for the race tomorrow for ,,,lets say,,the start and finish. A cloud burst mid way would make the race as interesting as todays qualifying.

Cheers

Yes fascinating stuff, should make for an exciting race :)

Quals one thing but the race is another in the wet, a great big lottery except if youre at the front, im glad Marks up there, hopefully he wont cock it up, at least he cant run up the back of someone from where he starts!! :) Unless its the Safety car from a restart :D

its gonna be a real gamble if the rain comes and goes, to see who switches to slicks first, like Button did last week

it will be interesting to see Button Hamilton Alonso & Massa moving up the field, if they can :D