The 2010 Formula One Season

As far as Vettel is concerned, yes he has very much confirmed the high praise you offered him last season was well warranted. He is shaping up to be a multi-times champ, i think there's no doubt about that.

No Doubt

Unfortunately he has also shown the other side of his character that is winning him no friends and confirming what a lot of you guys already believe about him.

We can agree on that then, he's obviously a great talent but for example last weekend's pitlane incident was just unnecessary :)

Getting back to the Jenson / Lewis thing, whilst Jenson has scored more points, it has largely been due to some genious strategic moves by him and the team, rather than driving any quicker / better than Lewis. Doesn't mean Jenson doesn't deserve the credit, just that it's too early to know who will come out on top come the end of the season.

mmm, Jenson's done well but the weather has helped him. When they get to Europe I have no doubt Lewis will stretch ahead of Jenson.

Alonso has emphatically shown his class and put Massa quickly in his place.

No surprise there, and he's probably Vettel's biggest challenger for the season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello rixalex, mosha and all. I was travelling a lot these last few months. I was reading some of the previous pages and the bad atmosphere that prevailed among certain posters and although we had differences of opinions it never got too personal, hope things change. Well the last 2 seasons as some of you will know, I banged on about Vettel being up with the best and even with his still limited experience he is the one to beat in the wet or the dry, lets hope his Red Bull becomes more reliable so he can show his true potential, as for Jenson being completely overshadowed by his teamate this season, well I'm still waiting for that event, one thing about Jenson, is his ability to drive a very smooth race, similar to Alonso, but perhaps Jensons detractors will acknowledge that perhaps he is better than they gave him credit for, we will have to wait and see. but it's good to be back fellas, sorry F1fanatic but Michael is past his sell by date.

Hi Wacky good to see you back, if I was one of those posters who put u off then apologies for that !

You're right about Jenson's style of driving but I do think when we get to some dry European events, Lewis will stretch ahead of Jenson.

Thank you b19bry, it's good to be back, actually I was referring to your adversary, personally I thought his arrogant attitude not really what these posts really need, we don't have to agree with each other but respect each others right to a different opinion, you could well be right about Lewis eventually getting the better of Jenson, but he has performed to a significantly higher level than most posters prevoiusly gave him credit for, this in a car and a team that was new to him, I still think that if reliability can be achieved then Sebastion Vettel will be the man to beat.

So what if the teams were given a spec for overal weight, height, width, engine capacity, and refuelling stops left to the individual teams to decide for themselves, engine size limited but below a certain cc the option of using a turbo charger, which may well be the case next season, just a thought.

mmm.... sounds like the regs as in the 70's then :)

By the way a large percentage of overtaking moves are done by outbreaking the car in front and while dirty air will have an adverse effect on how close the following car gets is negated somewhat by the slowing down of both cars.

Yes, the vast majority of overtaking is performed under braking. The problem is that the brakes are so good and braking distances therefore relatively short (for all cars), that if you're not close enough (as a result of dirty air) to the car in front going into the braking area it's very difficult to be close enough to make a pass.

I really believe the aerodynamics need changing to alleviate this situation and allow the cars to follow more closely.

Thank you b19bry, it's good to be back, actually I was referring to your adversary, personally I thought his arrogant attitude not really what these posts really need,

Yeah, I know rixalex can be a bit touchy :):D:D

So what if the teams were given a spec for overal weight, height, width, engine capacity, and refuelling stops left to the individual teams to decide for themselves, engine size limited but below a certain cc the option of using a turbo charger, which may well be the case next season, just a thought.

mmm.... sounds like the regs as in the 70's then :)

By the way a large percentage of overtaking moves are done by outbreaking the car in front and while dirty air will have an adverse effect on how close the following car gets is negated somewhat by the slowing down of both cars.

Yes, the vast majority of overtaking is performed under braking. The problem is that the brakes are so good and braking distances therefore relatively short (for all cars), that if you're not close enough (as a result of dirty air) to the car in front going into the braking area it's very difficult to be close enough to make a pass.

I really believe the aerodynamics need changing to alleviate this situation and allow the cars to follow more closely.

I think that the regs have been messed around with so much that the racing is not so exciting these days and perhaps the regs of the 70s were not so bad after all, as for the dirty air question then the answer is yes but unles a modicum of variety is introduced then teams will do everything necessary to achieve that last 100th of a second and that will mean different types and styles of aerodynamics being brought in by the teams, but with a bit more variety in the regs then perhaps more speed could be achieved for less money, last season Flavio complained that the cost of developing that controversial little aerofoil used by a couple of the teams cost 15million pounds.

I watch a lot of racing, sadly A1 is no longer, but there Power Boost button was a good idea [all cars were able to use it 8 times in the main race]

Kers is a good idea but very expensive + they can use it 1x every lap, so the A1 system was better as the drivers were restricted as to the amount of times they could use it in a Race.

you could well be right about Lewis eventually getting the better of Jenson, but he has performed to a significantly higher level than most posters prevoiusly gave him credit for

This is very true. He has performed better than i admit i expected. Perhaps i shouldn't have listened so much to all those telling me before the start of the season that McLaren were completely geared up to serve Lewis and that any team-mate he has will have always get second best car / strategy. :)

I still think that if reliability can be achieved then Sebastion Vettel will be the man to beat.

It does look like the best package - driver and car both strong - reliability issues aside.

I watch a lot of racing, sadly A1 is no longer,

Really?! Didn't know that. Watched parts of the first season and have to say, wasn't impressed - not so much with the racing, but the whole concept. Didn't work for me.

For one i think that if they are going to make it about the drivers not the cars, they should have all raced identical machines, as near as possible anyway. By letting the teams set the cars up differently it took us back to the situation of not really knowing what was making one car faster than another - car or driver?

mmm.... sounds like the regs as in the 70's then :D

Petrov didn't appear to be too upset by dirty air when he was sitting on Lewis arse, so I am not completely convinced by the argument as to just how detrimental that airflow really is. :)

Power boost is okay provided your allocation is not broadcast over worldwide TV which negates it somewhat if everybody else knows what you have left :D once your out and know your opponent behind has one left some subtle driving will restore the status quo once they have to lift off due to your unintentional block :) .

Although i find Brundle a bit of a bore, i had to agree with much of what he says here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/8631369.stm

I had actually pretty much forgotten the tactics Button used for the safety car start. It was contenious but certainly did the job.

And i'm intrigued by the suggestion he makes about the Ferrari pit crew having been able to switch Massa's tyres to Alonso's so quickly. A conspiracy theory this early in the season?!

Finally, to respond to my own ealier point about Lewis's number of overtakes being so high, this article states it as being 32 competitive overtakes in 4 races - that must be something of a record.

Although i find Brundle a bit of a bore, i had to agree with much of what he says here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/8631369.stm

I had actually pretty much forgotten the tactics Button used for the safety car start. It was contenious but certainly did the job.

And i'm intrigued by the suggestion he makes about the Ferrari pit crew having been able to switch Massa's tyres to Alonso's so quickly. A conspiracy theory this early in the season?!

Finally, to respond to my own ealier point about Lewis's number of overtakes being so high, this article states it as being 32 competitive overtakes in 4 races - that must be something of a record.

I always thought Martin Brundle had more personality than skill and only rated him as an average F1 driver but the points he makes are interesting in as much as they are his opinions and not the stewards who make the decisions. Jensons tactics, if it indeed thats what they were in relation to the deployment of the safety car just goes to prove that in previous seasons, and I suspect this season will not be any different that team and driver tactics win as many races as driver skill and car reliability, the deployment of the safety car thus allowing other drivers to close up and in some cases a very significant gap that perhaps they would not be able to do in the race proper. Yes, Lewis is a very good driver and should be applauded on his skill in passing slower cars.

I always thought Martin Brundle had more personality than skill

Personally i thought he lacked both. :D

Jensons tactics, if it indeed thats what they were in relation to the deployment of the safety car just goes to prove that in previous seasons, and I suspect this season will not be any different that team and driver tactics win as many races as driver skill and car reliability, the deployment of the safety car thus allowing other drivers to close up and in some cases a very significant gap that perhaps they would not be able to do in the race proper.

So what does all that mean in terms of Brundle's opinion that Button should have been penalised? Agree or disagree?

For me i would need to see it again to form an opinion.

P.S. You earlier post wacky, mentioning that Senna / Mansell battle at Monaco brought back some painful memories. :)

I always thought Martin Brundle had more personality than skill

Personally i thought he lacked both. :D

Jensons tactics, if it indeed thats what they were in relation to the deployment of the safety car just goes to prove that in previous seasons, and I suspect this season will not be any different that team and driver tactics win as many races as driver skill and car reliability, the deployment of the safety car thus allowing other drivers to close up and in some cases a very significant gap that perhaps they would not be able to do in the race proper.

So what does all that mean in terms of Brundle's opinion that Button should have been penalised? Agree or disagree?

For me i would need to see it again to form an opinion.

P.S. You earlier post wacky, mentioning that Senna / Mansell battle at Monaco brought back some painful memories. :D

Actually I did not see the race so cannot add my two penniworth to the subject but in essence it was the selected stewards job to decide if Jenson transgressed or not along with the pit lane incidents and the thing with Lewis and Petrov, so perhaps it's a case of some you win and some you lose. The race at Monaco between Senna and Mansell was a good spectacle to watch even if the outcome was not to my liking :)

How wrong was I re. Schumi v Rosberg??! :) Obviously there's time yet for Schumi to get his act together, but I have to admit, I didn't think it would take this long and Nico is beating him comprehensively at the moment.

Great race though. McLaren obviously had the best car, but lots of good drives out there.

I reckon Schumi will win at least one race this season.

Bernie says so too.

Actually I did not see the race so cannot add my two penniworth to the subject but in essence it was the selected stewards job to decide if Jenson transgressed or not along with the pit lane incidents and the thing with Lewis and Petrov, so perhaps it's a case of some you win and some you lose. The race at Monaco between Senna and Mansell was a good spectacle to watch even if the outcome was not to my liking :)

This season there has been a notable shift in terms of the steward's decision making in terms of leniency which for me is no bad thing, although it could be argued they have swung a little far in the other direction.

Whatever decisions they do come to, i feel strongly they must make them in real time and punish during the race, so that everybody knows that the end results are final.

This season there has been a notable shift in terms of the steward's decision making in terms of leniency which for me is no bad thing, although it could be argued they have swung a little far in the other direction.

Whatever decisions they do come to, i feel strongly they must make them in real time and punish during the race, so that everybody knows that the end results are final.

I have to say that reading of some of the incidents that have taken place, if the appointed stewards are too lenient then we may well end up with some very unsportsmanlike behaviour from a few drivers, not too dissimilar to certain events carried out by a driver over his entire career{now fortunately on the wane}

I have to say that reading of some of the incidents that have taken place, if the appointed stewards are too lenient then we may well end up with some very unsportsmanlike behaviour from a few drivers, not too dissimilar to certain events carried out by a driver over his entire career{now fortunately on the wane}

All about balance. During the Senna / Prost and then Schumi years, it was as if the drivers were bigger than the sport and could get away with anything. Over the last few seasons, it went the other way and became a little too officious - for my liking anyway. Take for example the way Webber was penalised at the Nurburgring last year for causing a crash. Or the way Lewis was singled out and punished for running wide on the first corner at the French GP. For me these were just racing incidents and if drivers are going to be punished for them it dilutes the sport down.

Maybe this year they are being too lenient - but i would take that over being too officious. Hopefully they'll find the right balance as the season wears on. One good move that would improve consistency would be having the same stewards at every race. This was talked about but i don't know how far they got.

Just to let you guys know, I'm having a beer with Dave here in Ranong in a few hours. It will be good to se the face behind the posts. :)

Don't say "it will be good" until you've seen the face - it might be hideous! :D

Sorry Dave. :D

BTW - which Dave are we talking about? (just so i know who i've just insulted)

Just to let you guys know, I'm having a beer with Dave here in Ranong in a few hours. It will be good to se the face behind the posts. :)

Don't say "it will be good" until you've seen the face - it might be hideous! :D

Sorry Dave. :D

BTW - which Dave are we talking about? (just so i know who i've just insulted)

Your right rixalex, my face is pretty hideous, were you born pshychic?,,,,,,,, but nevertheless Mosha, his friend Brian and I had a good night out even if none of us were in a fit state to get out of our respective pits until after midday , but sanook jing jing, I will be in BKK after leaving Phuket on Monday so who knows, might even meet some of you other posters if your interested :D David.

Your right rixalex, my face is pretty hideous, were you born pshychic?

:D Nope mate wasn't born it - in fact, i wouldn't even attempt spelling it. :)

but nevertheless Mosha, his friend Brian

Is Brian a dog? I think i've been watching too much Family Guy. :D

and I had a good night out even if none of us were in a fit state to get out of our respective pits until after midday , but sanook jing jing,

Like the way you slipped in the motorsport reference there. Into the pits for some fresh rubber? Or not that sort of evening?! Of course not! Upstanding gentlemen you all are i'm sure. :D

I will be in BKK after leaving Phuket on Monday so who knows, might even meet some of you other posters if your interested :D David.

To be serious for a second, it's great that this forum brings people together like that. I really hope you guys have now forged long-lasting relationships outside of cyber-space. Good friendships are hard to come by, especially out here i find.

Is our discussions still with the The 2010 Formula One Season, maybe we are too far now.

Not much going on in that regard right at the moment. Does a bit of friendly chit-chat bother you?

Maybe rixalex, we should not post until practise times and post race discussions and have a non event in between similar to the one that prevails during the close season unless goldmine wishes to add to his posts and generate more to the thread than he has previously :)

What source do you guys have to get the news in Formula 1?

I use the following:

- British magazine Autosport

- Website www.formula1.com which I also use during the race on TV to monitor the lap times and gaps (live timing)

- German magazine Auto Motor und Sport

- US magazine Race Car Engineering

- and of course TV (Starsport) for the qualifying and race

but it's difficult the be up-to-date here in Bangkok.

I am sure you have seen the results of the 2nd free practice in Barcelona by now (Saturday morning BKK time), otherwise check out www.formula1.com/livetiming