Receiving A Package From Abroad, Customs Wants Passport?

czGLoRy

So, I ordered something from abroad, and the package has arrived, but it is in Suvarnabhum airport. Customs said the package is here but they need my email (I gave this to them) and a copy of my passport, and hung up basically. What does this mean? Kind of surprised about this. Thanks for any responses~

Very normal. Usually anything under a stated value of 3500 baht comes straight to your door. Anything over requires photo i.d. usually followed by a request for you to go and pay duty in excess of 50-70% but don't worry! When you get there one of the nice customs officers will "help you" to avoid the duty. :)

Okay, the package is just over 5k baht in value and its the first one I received over this amount, so it makes sense. Thanks for the replies! I don't know who you are (miriam?) but thanks and hello! :)

Its normal i worked at the BKK airport for years and thats standard procedure. Even for my personal effects i had to do it. Rgds Mark

Very normal. Usually anything under a stated value of 3500 baht comes straight to your door. Anything over requires photo i.d. usually followed by a request for you to go and pay duty in excess of 50-70% but don't worry! When you get there one of the nice customs officers will "help you" to avoid the duty. :)

Hi tatt2dude, is this 3500baht thing the law in Thailand, or just your personal experience?

Reason I'm asking, just before I came back here, late 2009, my portable hard drive went kaput, still under warranty in Uk, so it was returned to the company I bought it from. The drive was repaired, and sent to a friends house, as I'd sold up over there. My mate has been filling the drive with stuff from UK television, and is planning to send it on to me, as a repaired drive (which it is), not a new item, on which I imagine I would have to pay tax. If he states a value of under 3500 baht, in your experience will it clear customs OK? I don't mind popping to the local post office to sort out any problems , but Bangkok is a long way from where I live here.

Absolutely no illegal intent here on my part, just seemed silly to send back an empty drive, when we have the chance to watch some half decent TV,instead of the endless thai soap peras!

Hi tatt2dude, is this 3500baht thing the law in Thailand, or just your personal experience?

Reason I'm asking, just before I came back here, late 2009, my portable hard drive went kaput, still under warranty in Uk, so it was returned to the company I bought it from. The drive was repaired, and sent to a friends house, as I'd sold up over there. My mate has been filling the drive with stuff from UK television, and is planning to send it on to me, as a repaired drive (which it is), not a new item, on which I imagine I would have to pay tax. If he states a value of under 3500 baht, in your experience will it clear customs OK? I don't mind popping to the local post office to sort out any problems , but Bangkok is a long way from where I live here.

Absolutely no illegal intent here on my part, just seemed silly to send back an empty drive, when we have the chance to watch some half decent TV,instead of the endless thai soap peras!

On the bill of lading which he will have to fill out, have him put zero value, samples. Their will be no duty tax charged and it will come right to your door.

Barry

On the bill of lading which he will have to fill out, have him put zero value, samples. Their will be no duty tax charged and it will come right to your door.

Barry

Ok thanks for that Barry - my wife (Thai) is looking forward to catching up on coronation street, doc martin, and believe it or not, shameless!

Cheers

WeeGB

• 2 weeks later...