Best Ever Steak In My Life!

lingnoi1977

Chiangmai Saloon (near Tapae Gate) has a too good to refuse offer of Steak, potato, salad for 199 baht. Just had to change the diet from Thai to edible Western once per month!

Well, edible is a loose term. I am pretty sure it's snap frozen, zapped in the microwave, lashed with marinade, and heated somehow to a luke warm piece of poor excuse for red meat.

If you must indulge, make sure you ask for (very) well done. Anything else will be blue - dangerous with the wonderful hygeine standards I am sure they employ.

Just had to share it with you all. Off to dinner now... I am pretty sure it will be Thai.

p.s. the "manager" offered our drinks for free having spotted that we had 2 waters.

xxx

I'm not able to report the same.

I met a friend from Chiang Rai about a month ago there.

His friend ordered all Thai food, said it was great (spicy clear rice noodle seafood salad).

My pal from CR ordered tacos. So so.

I ordered the steak. Selected ribeye, and was specific to mention "rare to medium rare".

Look, for 199 B don't expect a thick piece of meat.

It came perfectly cooked, with french fries and some salad on a large plate.

I thought it was altogether acceptable for the price.

No big deal, the mileage may vary, but at 199 B for a steak dinner... :)

I enjoy an occasional steak at the Duke's, as well.

Really, it just comes down to one's subjective opinion of a particular dining experience.

I cook at home. When I want to enjoy a really good steak....I go to Rimping Nim Daily, pick out a perfect tenderloin or ribeye (Oz import or KB local), pan saute with a black pepper crust in EVOO with a dash of butter. Caeser salad, all home made. And some red wine.

It's all good, my brotha....

Really, it just comes down to one's subjective opinion of a particular dining experience.

I cook at home. When I want to enjoy a really good steak....I go to Rimping Nim Daily, pick out a perfect tenderloin or ribeye (Oz import or KB local), pan saute with a black pepper crust in EVOO with a dash of butter. Caeser salad, all home made. And some red wine.

Stop it your making me mad :) I can not eat a steak tell next month when I get my new uppers. :D

Yes, I look at Rimping's steaks every week and salivate. Oh for the day the house is finished and the BBQ has its pride of place!

I heard Duke's is pretty good. About 700 seems reasonable to me. In fact I'd rather pay good money for good food than no money for sh*t food.

Dukes next week I reckon...

Cheers.

Stop it your making me mad :) I can not eat a steak tell next month when I get my new uppers. :D

when u get your new uppers, give me a holler and I'll shout you a beer (with a straw?)..

Stop it your making me mad :D I can not eat a steak tell next month when I get my new uppers. :D

be mad no more......

nothing is impossible gotlost :D

kitchen_aid_blender.jpg

just think, if you use a straw, theres no cutlery to handle :)

I forgot to mention one other alternative.

Go to Northern Farms on Huay Kaew Road. Little shophouse outlet- if you blink, you'll miss it.

Buy the "Charolais" (French cattle breed) ribeye. I think it is about 480 B per kilo.

If you want to eat good steak in this town, you really need to know how to cook.

I only eat red meat maybe 2 or 3 times a month....but when I do, I know where to go. :)

Go to Northern Farms on Huay Kaew Road. Little shophouse outlet- if you blink, you'll miss it.

Buy the "Charolais" (French cattle breed) ribeye. I think it is about 480 B per kilo.

If you want to eat good steak in this town, you really need to know how to cook.

I only eat red meat maybe 2 or 3 times a month....but when I do, I know where to go. :)

Yes, this is even more frustrating when you DO know how to cook but dont have the facilities at hand...yet.

Where on Huay Kaew Road my friend? I'm in the car now, so please reply urgently...!!!

Best ever steak in my life came from the ram on the left.

2_Rams_in_camp.jpg

The second best steak came from this guy.

Ian_packiing_ram_1.jpg

But, I barbequed them myself. Wild sheep tastes like the best Kobe beef ever, providing it is not over done.

I haven't had what I would call a good steak in Asia. I just don't think they have access to the kind of beef necessary to make a good steak.

Best ever steak in my life came from the ram on the left.

2_Rams_in_camp.jpg

The second best steak came from this guy.

Ian_packiing_ram_1.jpg

But, I barbequed them myself. Wild sheep tastes like the best Kobe beef ever, providing it is not over done.

I haven't had what I would call a good steak in Asia. I just don't think they have access to the kind of beef necessary to make a good steak.

then you should try the matsusaka beef that is sold at Rimping. Best steak I ever had. Of course at more than 6000 baht per kilo it had better be.

His friend ordered all Thai food, said it was great (spicy clear rice noodle seafood salad).

Those aren't rice noodles. They are mung bean noodles. The dish is Yam Woon Sen Talay, a favorite of mine but you need those chilies in it.

Chiang Mai Saloon steaks are hit or miss; sometimes they're decent steaks for the money (not great steaks, but for the price you can't expect great), but sometimes they're full of gristle and fat. I can always rely on their burgers though.

I really, really like the buffalo steak, in red wine and mushroom sauce, at the Mayflower on Loi Kroh. Tender and scrumptious, and I think it was only like 180 baht! Plus then you've got the great people watching, all the tourists stumbling around...

Chiang Mai Saloon steaks are hit or miss; sometimes they're decent steaks for the money (not great steaks, but for the price you can't expect great), but sometimes they're full of gristle and fat. I can always rely on their burgers though.

I stopped relying on CMS about 2 years ago. There quality of food has gone south. They seem to be relying on their old reputation. There was a time when their burgers rated up there IMHO. It seems that the majority of there trade has been taking over by the tourist who again IMHO have no taste buds. :)

I stopped relying on CMS about 2 years ago. There quality of food has gone south. They seem to be relying on their old reputation. There was a time when their burgers rated up there IMHO. It seems that the majority of there trade has been taking over by the tourist who again IMHO have no taste buds. :)

I agree they don't have the best burgers in the world, but I don't know of any place in Chiang Mai with better burgers. And while their steaks are hit or miss (maybe mostly misses lately), I think they have a decent bar food menu; not fine dining, but good drinking food.

I agree with the comment on the Mayflower, good food and reasonable prices in the midst of the "rent-a-friend bars" of Loi Kroh, with the entertainment of watching the working ladies and lady-boys hustle the tourists.

I thank CMS is a good place for a cold beer and to watch the tourist, but IMO their food has gone down hill. Now for a good burger I'll put the Dukes at the the top and get this, Sizzler Steak House at #2 and then Burger King. All others are no shows . :)

I thank CMS is a good place for a cold beer and to watch the tourist, but IMO their food has gone down hill. Now for a good burger I'll put the Dukes at the the top and get this, Sizzler Steak House at #2 and then Burger King. All others are no shows . :D

WHAT ! ! !

Except HOME COOKING! :)

I thank CMS is a good place for a cold beer and to watch the tourist, but IMO their food has gone down hill. Now for a good burger I'll put the Dukes at the the top and get this, Sizzler Steak House at #2 and then Burger King. All others are no shows . :D

WHAT ! ! !

Except HOME COOKING! :)

cause thats where the blender is.... :D(refer post #9)

Edited by Donnyboy

Cozumelito quote

then you should try the matsusaka beef that is sold at Rimping. Best steak I ever had. Of course at more than 6000 baht per kilo it had better be.

You are probably right. When I see meat (or anything) at that price I just walk away. We raised the odd beef animal when I lived on a small farm in Canada, and had it properly butchered. But, is was just range fed and not given grain. It was good, but not as good as the wild sheep.

Cozumelito quote

You are probably right. When I see meat (or anything) at that price I just walk away. We raised the odd beef animal when I lived on a small farm in Canada, and had it properly butchered. But, is was just range fed and not given grain. It was good, but not as good as the wild sheep.

wild sheep? what does it taste like Ian? Gamey?

Now THAT sounds deeelicious.

I know an EVO is a Mitsubishi, but I don't know an EVOO.......?

Please elucidate. All my taste buds tingle in anticipation........really!

Yes, this is even more frustrating when you DO know how to cook but dont have the facilities at hand...yet.

Where on Huay Kaew Road my friend? I'm in the car now, so please reply urgently...!!!

Northern Farms is located on the left hand side between the Amari and the Phucome juctions. It is approx. 100 meters after the Green Hills hotel.

The Thai steaks are excellent, just as good as the imported meat......