Art And Thailand

feolindo

First off, I could not figure out exactly where to post this question so if this is not the appropriate forum perhaps someone could suggest a better one.

That said, I'm an artist who is coming to Thailand next month. I'm going to be there at least a few months and want to do some painting while I'm there.

2 questions -

first: is such an activity frowned upon? (I work in oil paint using an easel, usually from photographs but sometimes I'll paint outdoors)

second - will there be a problem getting my art supplies into the country?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi -

No problem from what I know. I am in the gallery scene and attend a lot of art openings. There are many expat painters here and have no problem. I'm not a painter but I do know canvas and art supplies are generally cheap - though not sure about the quality. There are many places around "Silapakorn University" which is the art school where you can find and buy cheap supplies. Once you are here check out the university and the Bangkok Post for art shows and such.

Some artists are very fussy about their supplies and if you are one of those then bring your own. One of the Universities (perhaps Silapakorn ) produces their own brand of oils and they are quite proud of them so it would probably get you some bonus points if you at least tried them....I have no experience using them though.

In your art work do not make any reference to the royal family...none whatsoever unless you get permission from them first. I've not done any art in Thailand so ask locals about this.....perhaps I'm wrong. Also scatalogical depictions of wats, temples,religious buildings, or other cultureal icons etc etc ..........

Thais accept oil painting, at least one of the previous kings painted....you can see some of his stuff at the National Gallery.

second - will there be a problem getting my art supplies into the country?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wouldn't think there would be any problem bringing in art supplies for a painting holiday. But, one thing to consider would be airline rules re transporting solvents and hazardous materials.

"Despite the fact acrylic and oil paints are non-flammable, it's best to pack them into your bag that will be checked in rather than carry it in your hand luggage and risk having some overjealous security guard confiscate them because they don't believe you. Also put your brushes and palette knives in your checked baggage as they could be considered potential weapons. Mediums, turpentine, and mineral spirits should generally be regarded as hazardous and not be taken on a plane; buy them at your destination. If in any doubt, try to get hold of a product information sheet and check with the airline."

[source: http://painting.about.com/library/aa032899b.htm ]

I asked about sources for art supplies in Bangkok on another board and a farang painter in Bangkok states that art supplies are expensive - as you might expect with most anything imported - especially paints above the quality of student grade. I'm told China Town is a good source for canvas and that pre-stretched canvas is difficult to find. Sources for supplies include the Emporium, B2S at Chit Lom, Old Siam Art Shop and as mentioned here Silpakorn University Art Shop.

-redwood