Basic Honda Motorbike

corkman

Hi All,

My father plans to come out and visit us quite regularly in Thailand and is thinking of buying a bike. He is interested in what I call the "basic" honda bike, the 4-stroke type with a basket on front and 4 forward semi-automatic gears (no clutch) , with electric starter.

I am clueless about bikes, being a car driver myself. Could anyone advise the basics please, namely:

(1) What is the name of the type of bike I am talking about, and what is the purchase price (cash, new)?

(2) What are the legal and recommended tax and insurance requirements?

(3) Will it need to be bought in my Thai Mrs. name?

He has a proper UK motor bike license as well as full car license. He is getting an AA internation license.

Many thanks in advance.

Corkman,

You are refering to the Honda Wave motorcycle. It comes in quite a few varients, starting price for the basic about 34,000THB to a fully automatic one at around 45,000THB. All the new models from now on will be fuel injected, although no doubt theres probably a few motorcycle shops around with new carby ones still in stock.

Here look at the prices here:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/in...ycle_Price_List

Just about everywhere you go prices will be similar. You can register the bike in your own name if you reside in Thailand and possess a Non Imm type visa or better.

I believe the prices given are with the insurance and registration paid for the first year, however thats the most basic insurance and it would probably pay to also get a second class insurance policy with bail bond protection on the bike as well.

You will pay 100 baht a year in tax to keep the number plate for the bike plus the basic insurance, probably around the 400-500 mark per year. 2nd class insurance will probably cost you around 2,000 baht per year but as i said, its well worth it just for the bail insurance alone.

Forget the 4 speed clunking Wave or similar ancient puppies. The trannys are a pain in the arse. Go modern with an auto scooter instead from any of the majors. Honda, Yammy, or Susi. The money is the same. Only Thais still drive those old fashioned clunkers. Buy one used for 35-30baht with under 6000km. Buy from a falang or buy new and lose 10k out the door.

Nothing beats the Honda Wave, the basic engine design is rock solid – to be honest since 1958 nothing much has changed in the design. Yes the modern alloys and technology made it possible to shrink the engine somewhat while increasing the combustion volume.

If you looking for a nearly indestructible motorcycle I would recommend the Honda Wave, with the current fuel-injection models its even more powerful and you need to worry less about maintenance. If you buy the motorcycle for an older person I would recommend, that you select one with a electric starter.

At our office we have a Honda Wave, which I believe everybody is riding, and after 5-years its still going strong – some standard maintenance like oil, brake fluid and brake pads (front disc brake), tires and chain-sprockets was needed and all where nothing to worry for what it costs.

The Honda Wave is so popular in Southeast Asia that basically every motorcycle manufacturer is building one. Popular alternative are available from Yamaha, Suzuki, Tiger and Lifan. It makes me sad to say that Kawasaki has pulled out of the Cub-style market...

One of my personal favorite, if I ever going to replace the Honda Wave, is the Tiger CZ 135 SM -the Tiger CZ 135SM is a cub-style motorcycle with a bit off-road/super-motard style look, the 135cc engine is also just that little bit stronger what makes it more enjoyable to ride it...

post-12170-1268608615_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

I've had a Honda Click i-Tune Up for a year, and for simply running around town it's great. I do a lot of shopping, so I had a Thai style sidecar added to it. Perfect for carrying a few cases of San Miguel Light around the place. The engine is liquid cooled and so seems to run more smoothly and quietly than the air-cooled Yamaha Mio. Both bikes are automatics, and for getting around a busy town like Pattaya, I don't see why anyone would want a bike with gears.

Ditto Richard, I have owned Waves as a second bike for years, tremendous little workhorse and the automatic clutch makes gearchanging a breeze, just fitted Alloys and returned the bike to spec after stepson carried out some unauthorised mods and the 3 year old 125 is running like new again. Highly recommended little machine.

Forget the 4 speed clunking Wave or similar ancient puppies. The trannys are a pain in the arse. Go modern with an auto scooter instead from any of the majors. Honda, Yammy, or Susi. The money is the same. Only Thais still drive those old fashioned clunkers. Buy one used for 35-30baht with under 6000km. Buy from a falang or buy new and lose 10k out the door.

Awful things, I don't agree at all and the OP specifically said he wasn't after an automatic.

Put this on another thread but it seems more relevant here;

Bought a wave 100 the week they came out. I've now had it just under 8 yrs. 73,000k on the clock and i've replace the chain twice, the sprocket once, at65000k, the exhaust, at 69000k, and air filter once.

It maybe a wave but it goes like a dream. 555

Take it in for a 88 baht service/oil change every 4000k. Seems to be all it needs. They tell me when I need new bits.

BTW, most of the 73000 was done in Bkk which ain't the best place for any m/c. Dun a few trips down to patts rayong and up into the country, surin, korat, buri ram.

They don't need a lot because they are so well made. Stick with Honda parts and you can't go wrong.

I think that says it all about these bikes. Do you know discovery channel voted them the best bike ever because of what they've done for motorbikes and how a 50s design has stayed the distance.

I'm actually sad that they're gonna be replace with FI versions. Added technology=more complications=more problems.

Keep it simple Honda. Improve perfection, don't change it.

Edited by Soi Sauce