Can't Get Enough Citylife Magazines

Ulysses G.

Well hopefully with all the positive reports you are getting on this thread a few more business owners might see the wisdom in advertising in City Life :)

It is a smart move. Chiang Mai is swamped with tons of every kind of business and they all start to blend together. If you know that your business should stand out from the rest, why not use advertising to help the public understand the reasons why?

When you decide to advertise, why not choose a publication that people are actively looking for and are desperate to read? Putting an ad in some rag that no one is interested in is just a waste of money when you can get real positive exposure in a respected publication for just a little bit more.

It all comes down to demographics.

While we are on the subject of good publications in Chiang Mai Chang Puak Magazine and Guidelines are great marketing for first time residents and tourists. Both do an exceptional job with customer service and Guidelines even has a sister publication, Compass, geared mainly to Thais.

I personally liked Welcome To Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for it's funky and yet culturally informative publication. Unfortunately, it has been one of the victims of the slow economy and the lack of tourists.

Well hopefully with all the positive reports you are getting on this thread a few more business owners might see the wisdom in advertising in City Life :)

It is a smart move. Chiang Mai is swamped with tons of every kind of business and they all start to blend together. If you know that your business should stand out from the rest, why not use advertising to help the public understand the reasons why?

When you decide to advertise, why not choose a publication that people are actively looking for and are desperate to read? Putting an ad in some rag that no one is interested in is just a waste of money when you can get real positive exposure in a respected publication for just a little bit more.

It all comes down to demographics.

While we are on the subject of good publications in Chiang Mai Chang Puak Magazine and Guidelines are great marketing for first time residents and tourists. Both do an exceptional job with customer service and Guidelines even has a sister publication, Compass, geared mainly to Thais.

I personally liked Welcome To Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for it's funky and yet culturally informative publication. Unfortunately, it has been one of the victims of the slow economy and the lack of tourists.

Help me here was this mag, the one by Margaret & Gosen or the one by David H.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

YIPPEE! TRUMPET BLASTS, DRUM ROLLS AND RESOUNDING RENDITIONS OF AARON COPELANDS 'FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN!!!

There I was, this afternoon buying Salt 'n vinegar Kettle Chips and this weeks Private Eye for The Olde Bell customers reading pleasure, when next to checkout - what did I espy but a treasured copy of Citylife! Just lying there! Unclaimed. It was a virgin copy. No Gecko books stamp on the cover. No rather large Jewish woman guarding it jealously as happens at Jerusalem Falafal. No sign even of the lovely Pim brandishing a subscription form and a Makro biro. Well as you can imagine I scooped it up, slipped it in amongst the crisps and was off, heart pounding. I've decided to keep it upstairs until I've read it. In case it disappears. You know. It will though be on display on our bookstand from tomorrow - with a prominent Olde Bell stamp on it of course. Just in case UG thinks its one I half inched from him!

One can only hope! But as to paying more, frankly I doubt many will. If they want to and receive more copies they are more than welcome to, but we are not cheap as it is, so I can't put more burden on my advertisers, but thank you so much for the idea. Old Belle, let me see...we are spread pretty thin as it is...you know you can always subscribe!!!

Anyone who wants a copy is more than welcome to pop by our office during working hours to pick upto 3 free copies. We are on the Irrigation Canal Road between Suthep and Huay Kaew on the city side of the canal.

Can you narrow it down a bit? Are you north/Huay Kaew direction or south/Suthep direction from the east entrance to CMU? Could you reference a nearby Soi or landmark?

On the Irrigation Rd, going south from the huay Kaew intersection its about a Kilo on the left hand side. Theres a big sign on the left saying City Life in big red letters

Now that is smart..... who would have ever thought to look for a sign saying City Life ???? :)

...But MWf could you narrow it down a little bit further ...... what size are the letters ..... There are probably many many signs reading CITY LIFE in big letters in that block .... and maybe the shade of red :D

I do have one more question though,,,, do they provide transport if we would like to go look at the sign ?????

free of course

Edited by Gonzo the Face

On the Irrigation Rd, going south from the huay Kaew intersection its about a Kilo on the left hand side. Theres a big sign on the left saying City Life in big red letters

Now that is smart..... who would have ever thought to look for a sign saying City Life ???? :D

...But MWf could you narrow it down a little bit further ...... what size are the letters ..... There are probably many many signs reading CITY LIFE in big letters in that block .... and maybe the shade of red :D

I do have one more question though,,,, do they provide transport if we would like to go look at the sign ?????

free of course

there was free transport going down to some park as i recall last week, they even paid you for the privilege, add to that some free lunch of sticky rice and fermented fish, did i mention free :)

It is a great mag but I only read 2/3 copies a year simply because of it's rarity - I'm still somewhat confused as to why they can't print more - and do we know what the print run is?

why not make a charge (I know they do subscriptions - and a personal plea - please put a sub form in the mag - if I found one I would just subscribe but it seems a laborious process up till now). If you charge 25/50 Baht I'd be happy to pay and it would stop those taking it who do not really want it - and you would be able to print more!!!

Great mag - just make it easier to obtain

It is a great mag but I only read 2/3 copies a year simply because of it's rarity - I'm still somewhat confused as to why they can't print more - and do we know what the print run is?

why not make a charge (I know they do subscriptions - and a personal plea - please put a sub form in the mag - if I found one I would just subscribe but it seems a laborious process up till now). If you charge 25/50 Baht I'd be happy to pay and it would stop those taking it who do not really want it - and you would be able to print more!!!

I'm sure Pim will explain far better than me but until then its simple economics. The local economy is stagnant , less advertisers in difficult times means its very hard to justify increasing the print run . As the mag is printed on a good quality paper I would imagine production costs are quite high. No doubt Pim wil be encouraged by the interest and it may influence new advertisers to get on board.

I'm sure Pim will explain far better than me but until then its simple economics. The local economy is stagnant , less advertisers in difficult times means its very hard to justify increasing the print run . As the mag is printed on a good quality paper I would imagine production costs are quite high. No doubt Pim wil be encouraged by the interest and it may influence new advertisers to get on board.

That's right... so charge for it - it's too high quality to be 'free' if it's to really be 'free' the production should be dumbed down? it's a bit of chicken and egg - not easy I know and none of my business - just thoughts - I've never even seen an advert in there for subs - just Shhhhhh you can get it on subs if you email this person etc. I'm happy to pay for it rather than spend time and money searching for it - it's that good - just my opinion (this is meant as complimentary by the way not critisism).

Thanks for your advice Chiang Mai Fun. Over a year ago we put in postage paid sub forms in each magazine for three whole months...we received 2 orders for subscriptoins and 100 return postcards from some staff from a business in town thinking it was for a comptition! (and of course we had to pay for all the postage!) It simply didn't work. As to why not print more...it is simple - economics. Each copy costs more than 40 baht to print, so selling them at any less than 80 doesn't make sense (the cut to the newspaper stand would be 20-25, then there are the admin fees) so we are pretty much giving them away anyway and I don't think people would pay more than that. We print 12,000 copies per month. Do the maths and you will see that it is simply not possible to print more. We will the minute the economy gets better. Thank you so much for your support though, you are welcome to email me for delivery list and of course all content is free online.

I can't possibly dumb down the magazine. It would make more business sense;but I couldn't live with myself. It's more than a job, it represents my values and reflects who I am.

Gosh that was a bit personal! Never mind.

Thanks for your advice Chiang Mai Fun. Over a year ago we put in postage paid sub forms in each magazine for three whole months...we received 2 orders for subscriptoins and 100 return postcards from some staff from a business in town thinking it was for a comptition! (and of course we had to pay for all the postage!) It simply didn't work. As to why not print more...it is simple - economics. Each copy costs more than 40 baht to print, so selling them at any less than 80 doesn't make sense (the cut to the newspaper stand would be 20-25, then there are the admin fees) so we are pretty much giving them away anyway and I don't think people would pay more than that. We print 12,000 copies per month. Do the maths and you will see that it is simply not possible to print more. We will the minute the economy gets better. Thank you so much for your support though, you are welcome to email me for delivery list and of course all content is free online.

I can't possibly dumb down the magazine. It would make more business sense;but I couldn't live with myself. It's more than a job, it represents my values and reflects who I am.

Gosh that was a bit personal! Never mind.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply... I just cannot do without it so will subscribe and forego the monthly hunt (which is unfruitful 75% of the time) - still not sure it would not be worth printing a sub form in the mag if you had space... anyway... if you could PM how I can do it I shall subscribe immediately - cheers!