Starting A Language Advisory Service

I want to know about the procedure for opening a Language advisory service as opposed to opening a language school.

I understand that opening a Language advisory service is cheaper and lets you do all of the things that a school can do, as long as you say what you want to do when you register the business. I expect it will be cheaper and less hassle to do it in my wife's name. It's the legalities that concern me, so any advice in that direction would be most welcome.

best idea i have seen for a while

http://www.thai2me.com

I want to know about the procedure for opening a Language advisory service as opposed to opening a language school.

I understand that opening a Language advisory service is cheaper and lets you do all of the things that a school can do, as long as you say what you want to do when you register the business. I expect it will be cheaper and less hassle to do it in my wife's name. It's the legalities that concern me, so any advice in that direction would be most welcome.

If you think an automatic translation engine is the answer to your translation needs, you really need to think again. Especially when the structure of two languages is so different as the structures of English and Thai.

Colloquial Thai is possibly one of the more difficult languages to match with English, because so many expressions in colloquial language rely entirely on context and not on grammatical features. A computer has zero ability to grasp context. Before true Artificial Intelligence comes around, you will not see any translation engines being able to help you with much, except giving you the gist of a text by means of getting some key words right.

------------

Ponder some of the following:

The word "pile" has the following connotations according to Merriam Webster:

1 : a long slender member usually of timber, steel, or reinforced concrete driven into the ground to carry a vertical load, to resist a lateral force, or to resist water or earth pressure see BATTER PILE, BEARING PILE, SHEET PILE

2 : a wedge-shaped heraldic charge usually placed palewise with the broad end up

3 : a pointed blade of grass

4 a : a target-shooting arrowhead without cutting edges that is usually cylindrical or conoidal in shape and either pointed or blunt called also point, tip b [Latin pilum] : an ancient Roman foot soldier's heavy javelin

: to drive piles into : fill, support, or strengthen with piles

: relating to or used as a pile : formed of or supported on piles *a pile road*

obsolete : a small fortified tower; especially : PEEL

1 obsolete : a pier of a bridge

2 a : a quantity of things heaped together or laid one on top of the other *a pile of dishes* *a small pile of clothes on a chair Arnold Bennett* *a pile of wood by the fireplace*: as (1) obsolete : a series of weights fitting together and forming a solid figure usually a cone (2) : a heap usually of wood for burning a corpse or a sacrifice : PYRE (3) : a stack of arms (4) : FAGOT 3 b : any great number or large quantity : HEAP, LOT *had had a pile of troubles in his lifetime* *anyone who wants to teach has to take piles of their education courses W.L.Miller* *piles of good things to eat, fish, meat, fowls, vegetables Stringfellow Barr*

3 a : the lower die of an old English apparatus for striking coins by hand with a hammer compare TRUSSELL b : the reverse of a coin

4 : a large often imposing building or group of buildings *a Gothic pile* *contrast between the vast pile of the cathedral and the pigmy men in the street H.J.Laski* *a great pile of houses, inhabited by a great number of people Charles Dickens*

5 a : a great amount of money : FORTUNE *one went to the city T made one's pile and married Van Wyck Brooks* b : all the money or chips a player has available for play in a particular game or at a particular juncture in a game

6 a : a vertical series of alternate disks of two dissimilar metals (as copper and zinc) with disks of cloth or paper moistened with an electrolyte between them for producing a current of electricity called also voltaic pile, Volta's pile b : a battery made up of cells similarly constructed *a dry pile*

7 : REACTOR

transitive verb

1 a : to lay or place in or as if in a pile : put or throw on top of a heap : STACK often used with on or up *sand dunes piled up by the winds Samuel Van Valkenburg & Ellsworth Huntington* *her black hair cut in a straight fringe T and piled up on top of her head Edith Sitwell* b : to place (as weapons) so as to be easily available *outside the station we piled arms and waited John Sommerfield* c : to form a fagot of (lengths of iron)

2 : to heap in abundance : LOAD *piled T the salad on her plate Hamilton Basso*

3 a : to add to especially for an intensified effect : INCREASE *I do think he piled the agony up a little too high in that last scene Frederick Marryat* b : to build or gather together : AMASS usually used with up *piled up a wealth of information on the American Indian Ruth Underhill* *forebears were early settlers T and quickly piled up fortunes American Guide Series: Maryland* *hunting down and piling up quantities of knowledge E.M.Burns*

intransitive verb

1 : to form a pile : ACCUMULATE usually used with up *found the yield of this crop piling up on its hands C.L.Jones* *office work which had piled up for months D.A.Howarth*

2 a : to move or press forward in or as if in a mass : CROWD *pushing one another T they piled out of the restaurant Morley Callaghan* *our whole party piled into one T compartment O.S.Nock* b : to get in, off, or out *he piled quickly into bed*

3 : to thicken and accumulate (as ink on printing plates, rollers, or blankets or paint on a brush) instead of transferring or spreading properly

1 : a single hemorrhoid

2 piles plural : HEMORRHOIDS; also : the condition of one affected with hemorrhoids *is suffering terribly from piles*

1 a : HAIR; especially : a growth of short fine hair like fur : DOWN b : a thick undercoat (as of certain dogs) c : a velvety surface of fine hairs on various insects; collectively : the hairs making up such a surface

2 : a mass of raised loops or tufts covering all or part of a fabric or carpet that is formed by extra warp or weft yarns during the weaving and that produces a soft even compact furry or velvety surface

3 : a quality possessed by bread when the crumb is silky in appearance and texture

4 a : yellowish red coloration on wingbows, neck, saddle, back, and flight feathers of various white domestic fowls that is a disqualification in standard breeds but characteristic of some game types b : a bird colored in this manner

-------------------------------

Now, a translation engine can be made to 'understand' the basic grammar of a language and analyze the structure of the information in a sentence ok (but by no means perfectly). It can not be made to understand which of the above connotations of "pile" it should choose when translating into another language. That would make the program far too large. Computers still lack the ability to associate, which is a necessity to be able to follow and correctly analyze human communication.

The connotation overlap in English and any other language is arbitrary and unique to that language. It is highly unlikely that the different possible meanings of this word are directly reflected in another language (the likelihood is much larger that the connotations are more similar in closely related or close in terms of geographical proximity languages (English - Dutch/German or English - French). This is because these languages share a history and culture, frequent translations in between them have made concepts familiar to the speakers of both languages. The further away in terms of relation or geographical distance you get, the less likely it is that the same concepts exist.

If the computer picks the wrong word to translate into when analyzing the sentence, the results will be absurd.

So in short, dont get your hopes up when you entrust your personal communication to a machine.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

• 2 weeks later...
What does a language advisory service do?

I'm curious to know this also.... what makes it different? After all, a rose by any other name is still a rose.

A languge advisary service allows you to do all of the functions of a school. i.e teach at home or out in the field, plus lots more. You can also get a work permit if your LAS employs you. I think you can also purchase land/house etc in the name of your business.

A friend of mine was in the immigration office in Sriratcha a few days ago, and they knew all about it.

It's all above board and seems to be the way to go.

Here is some language advice :

"Chan" for female first person

"Pom" for male first person

I take it from your post that you are male.

chan can also be for men although rarely used; i think its sort of 'common'; i've noticed the men here use pom but younger one used chan ; no not keteoy either....

Bina, entirely right. Chan can be used by men in informal situations, discovered this yesterday whil reading my Thai grammar book.

chan can also be for men although rarely used; i think its sort of 'common'; i've noticed the men here use pom but younger one used chan ; no not keteoy either....

Bina, entirely right. Chan can be used by men in informal situations, discovered this yesterday whil reading my Thai grammar book.

In thai songs often the male singer is using "chan"

What I do wonder about is women using "krup" at the end of the sentence - usually when talking to young boys - teach them how to talk - but I heard it in two other situations as well (not kateoys)

Edited by ~G~

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some language advice :

"Chan" for female first person

"Pom" for male first person

Yes, I am a male. My Wife who is Thai assures me a man can refer to himself as "chan" go and check for yourself, with a Thai of course. I'm sure your advice was meant kindly and I thank you. Chan mai roo, is meant to be slightly sarcastic and in a humerous vein. I read, write and speak Thai to a reasonable level although I am always looking to improve.

Try this one. For a man or woman.....chan mai care lok.

I take it from your post that you are male.