Car "pinking"

Patriot

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pinking, never heard of it, do you mean pinging AKA engine knock/detonation ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Been a long time since I was around car engines but pinking is a high pitched noise that the engine makes I think due to the wrong mixture in the carburetor

:)

Good luck with the Thai bit

:D

Edited by Slaps

Pinking, never heard of it, do you mean pinging AKA engine knock/detonation ??

Been a long time since I was around car engines but pinking is a high pitched noise that the engine makes I think due to the wrong mixture in the carburetor

:)

Good luck with the Thai bit

:D

Thanks for the replies above. Both are "pinking" ... just need to know the Thai!! rabert is in there somewhere.

That article is not entirely correct although it does give a "general idea" of what pinking is.

Fuel is supposed to "burn" in the combustion chamber & NOT explode. Pre-detonation is when the fuel is actually starting to explode. If detonation occurs, say goodbye to your engine.

Australians generally (incorrectly) say "pinging" too.

I think correct is subject to where you are. I don't have any of my ASE tech books with me in Thailand, so the next best resource is the internet.

PING

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl510.htm

PING

I realize that both are bad sources, and that an ASE tech book is AMERICAN, hence the A. It has nothing to do with correct, since we live in Thailand and just about all English use here is wrong. But yeah, in the UK (where theater is spelled theatre and room where you take a bath is called a watercloset) we can call it pinking. In the USA and Australia, it's called pinging. In Thailand, either term works. There is no one correct answer. Anyway, let's get back on topic. . .

And to be helpful. . . I don't know the thai word for ping. . . but for engine knock, it's krueng (engine) koh (knock). Just like koh pratu (knock on the door).

Now it's koh, with an aaaaahhhh sound, like when you pronounce the word "walk." There is no tone up or down, it stays flat. If you knock on the hood of the car, they should know what you're talking about. Hopefully you have OBD I/II so you can avoid any miscommunications, but with "krueng koh," it should somewhat get the idea across. Now if you want to say ping, then I have no idea

Edited by djctwatt

And to be helpful. . . I don't know the thai word for ping. . . but for engine knock, it's krueng (engine) koh (knock). Just like koh pratu (knock on the door).

Now it's koh, with an aaaaahhhh sound, like when you pronounce the word "walk." There is no tone up or down, it stays flat. If you knock on the hood of the car, they should know what you're talking about. Hopefully you have OBD I/II so you can avoid any miscommunications, but with "krueng koh," it should somewhat get the idea across. Now if you want to say ping, then I have no idea

As I said before, the Thai phrase is "siang cake". According to Ajarn Manu at VP Autotech (Chiang Mai).

I am Thai, and I've never heard anything like cake. But it's probably just a romanization thing of the Thai word. Do you recall how it is written in Thai?

OK nevermind. . . I just realized what he was saying. Sieng Kak! Short sound, like ack! But with a c in front if it.

I am Thai, and I've never heard anything like cake. But it's probably just a romanization thing of the Thai word. Do you recall how it is written in Thai?

OK nevermind. . . I just realized what he was saying. Sieng Kak! Short sound, like ack! But with a c in front if it.

Yeah! Why don't you give us the Thai spelling?

Yeah! Why don't you give us the Thai spelling?

Yes please. The phrase is about 6 words long the last of which is "rabert" = explosion

I'm English hence the PinKing bit.

I am amazed by the conceit of someone who says the correct term in "pinking"

What absolute bull.

You have lots to learn.

The aussies who say pinging are 100% correct.

Get over it.

Apologies. I wasn't trying to be conceited, just that it appears Brits call it pinking, aussies pinging .......

I honestly don't care ... I just want the Thai phrase.

Thanks Powderpuff for your polite post.

What absolute bull.

You have lots to learn.

Get over it.

Powderpuff, my dear. Please read piece below to describing what I mean and also the use of the word "pinking"

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Physic...ion_engines.htm

Kind regards

See, again, that's the UK. It just depends on where you are is all. There is no one correct term. It's not just Australia. The USA ALSO uses pingking and not pinking. Try this, go to the USA, to San Francisco, and ask for a F@G (cigarette). Tell them you really like F@Gs in your mouth (cigarettes). See what happens. In this case, you'd be pretty foolish to think you are still using the correct language.

What absolute bull.

You have lots to learn.

Get over it.

After decades of working on and racing cars in the UK the term for engine knock or pre-ignition noise probs, used by all that l have been around is "pinking". Perhaps after the ozzy mega consumption of beer and trying to fix their ride it does turn into "pinging". :):D

Sorry to carry that one on. :D

If we could PLEEASE move on, all I wanted as in post #1 was the Thai phrase. Powder puff then called me conceited for say that because I was a Brit I termed it "pinking". We haven't yet heard back from Powderpuff so he must be a troll in it's purest form, or an anonymous mate of mine ... Brett?!?

Now; anyone know the Thai phrase please??

If we could PLEEASE move on, all I wanted as in post #1 was the Thai phrase. Powder puff then called me conceited for say that because I was a Brit I termed it "pinking". We haven't yet heard back from Powderpuff so he must be a troll in it's purest form, or an anonymous mate of mine ... Brett?!?

Now; anyone know the Thai phrase please??

I work at a technical college. Tomorrow, I will ask one of the mechanical guys about this.

Here's what Shell has to say:

Octane rating is a measure of how resistant a fuel is to detonation or "pinking"; the higher the Octane rating, the more the fuel / air mixture can be compressed without detonation happening.

Link From http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation...2_30071515.html

I was a pilot some time ago. All of the instructors (theory) were implicit that pre-detonation has the nickname of "pinking" & not "pinging".

Edited by elkangorito