Large Coke, No Ice Please.

tangcoral

In my opinion Thais always do exactly what there have been told to do. They are never in a position to decide something by them self or get an idea to handle a situation differently to solve a problem. The saying is that Thais can't count to 3 and sometimes i get the feeling that this might be true.

Offcourse i am talking of Thai people who are in low payed position such as 7/11 worker or in a Cinema or what ever like this.

In my job i deal every day with Factory Manager or Sales Man ect. They are really smart and open. They really can think behind borders.

Edited by Lammbock

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, to many Cheap Charlies in LOS. The OP has GI problems. Coke syrup can be good for stomach upset, but the carbonation sure as hel_l isn't. so maybe The OP should stick with H2O.

Anyway, thank you for entertaining me. :):D:D

I experimented today and asked for an iced coffee but without the ice,it was worse than going to the dentist,i settled for an expresso in the end,just to backtrack and pretend that is what i really wanted :D

I do like my iced coffee but on every occasion it really bugs me to have all that ice and no coffee left to slurp at the end :D such a waste of ice!

Learn to drink slower mate. :)

Nope, your not wrong, they also seem to have forgotten you were saving them money on ice :D .

Of course all the people are going to chime in about you raising your voice and all that, its something I'm not personally fond of, but have you ever noticed around the place you will often see thais yelling or shooting at each other :) , I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. :D

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I rarely yell or raise my voice.  But once, getting off the expressway to go onto Rama IX, a cop stopped me for making a supposed dangerous and too abrupt exit.  Why this got to me so much, I don't know, but I started arguing.  When I told him he was stopping me because I was farang, he denied it and said I was too far away for him to see me.  I started yelling at him, I mean really yelling at him, saying if I was too far away for him to see me, then how could my exit turn have been too abrupt?  I don't think I have ever yelled like that at a stranger, much less a cop, but he looked amazed, backed down, and motioned me to get out of there.

Nope, your not wrong, they also seem to have forgotten you were saving them money on ice :D .

Considering that I'm having serious difficulties convincing others that the price on german prestige cars is in fact NOT as cheap as they claim, this topic is a real wake up call.

You didnt have any problem convincing me, you won't find me lining up for a new merc or beema. :)

This happens even in the states at some places.

Every time I decide to eat at one of them fast food style places they hand me a cup at the size of a bucket and I can fill it up as many times as I want to. I can drink a couple of gallons of coke if I want to.

I reckon it would be cheaper in Thailand if I employed a bilingual gardener, but they dont come around to often...

To answer the OP question, yes I think you went a bit to far. Not that I dont agree or understand your frustration, but your face was certainly not anywhere to be found.

My $0.02

This happens even in the states at some places.

Every time I decide to eat at one of them fast food style places they hand me a cup at the size of a bucket and I can fill it up as many times as I want to. I can drink a couple of gallons of coke if I want to.

I reckon it would be cheaper in Thailand if I employed a bilingual gardener, but they dont come around to often...

To answer the OP question, yes I think you went a bit to far. Not that I dont agree or understand your frustration, but your face was certainly not anywhere to be found.

My $0.02

Your problem is that you cant afford a bilingual gardener.

Because this thread is on such a specialized topic, I felt compelled to add my equally trivial opinion. Have you seen Thais at a one-visit-only salad bar? Carefully craft a the small bowl into a larger one using lettuce leaves, then pile it to the max with those small (pheasant?) eggs, and pour a quart of dressing over it.

The movie theater is probably on the watch for this tendency vis-a-vis Cokes. Once the word spreads, why just think of the number of scammers who might get more than their fair share of soft drink!

In truth the manager is a miser for doing it and the OP is one for getting upset about it. Might have more in common than they realize ... certain symmetry in it all.

I am amazed at 130 replies about a short measure of coke. And no l haven't sat here reading them all, just noticed the number in the menu. Reminds me a bit of the missing piece of hotdog post. :D

hehe, yeh i remember that one, and didnt they get stuck into him

but thats why i like these seemingly insignificant threads, they often turn out to be the most hillarious

An old one from years ago popped up recently about a guy complaining the airport had no warning signs for not putting luggage trolleys on the step escalators

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Trolleys-Esc...html&st=125

:):D

Because this thread is on such a specialized topic, I felt compelled to add my equally trivial opinion. Have you seen Thais at a one-visit-only salad bar? Carefully craft a the small bowl into a larger one using lettuce leaves, then pile it to the max with those small (pheasant?) eggs, and pour a quart of dressing over it.
quail eggs

The movie theater is probably on the watch for this tendency vis-a-vis Cokes. Once the word spreads, why just think of the number of scammers who might get more than their fair share of soft drink!

In truth the manager is a miser for doing it and the OP is one for getting upset about it. Might have more in common than they realize ... certain symmetry in it all.

Yes, it was amazing to watch that at Bangkok Pizza Huts some years ago. Mostly school girls masterly constructed out of a cheap, small salad bowl a huge salad tower, layer over layer cemented with mayonnaise. One salad bowl were eaten by everyone at the table and it was often to much for them.

sorry mate, the "no ice" is the oldest routine in the book normally used by hard up students if they can get around the embarrasment factor.....if you are that pressed for cash, get a can of pop from the 7-11 and smuggle it in instead of giving somone on minimum wage a hard time ... if you were in front of me agruing your BS I would have told you so... slow week chasing the balloons eh ?

Edited by William Osborne

I recall years ago while in the USA at a Subway sandwich shop someone asks for two cups (empty cups) and they charged them something like $0.79 for each cup as they said that's what they charge for that size of a soda.... Geeeez

Thats to do with their accounting system. If the cups don't balance, it comes out of their wage.

The machine is set to fill it at that percent. Next if he did it again it would over flow. <snip>

So how does it work at KFC? They push the button a couple of times to give me an ice-free full glass.

The ones in fast food joints around are press to your satisfaction the option is not on the Major and SF Cineplex beverage machines. If they did do it for it would overflow or just take it away and let it go in the catcher part. To my knowledge too Major and SF have not a very good business relation with Coke or Pepsi or both and the syrup mix is quite expensive.

Wow! You are clearly an expert on Coke dispensing machines at Major, Cineplex and KFC. Well done! :D

BTW, I had a "Combo 5" at KFC tonight: "Eat here, upsize, no ice." 115 baht. Delicious! :)

I recall years ago while in the USA at a Subway sandwich shop someone asks for two cups (empty cups) and they charged them something like $0.79 for each cup as they said that's what they charge for that size of a soda.... Geeeez

Theres absolutely no way Roadnatzi would of put up with crap light that :D:)

That is to keep the staff from selling drinks and pocketing the money. :)

Yeah, I agree.... He would have shot up the whole place and then took the cups for free...... :D

Yeah, I agree.... He would have shot up the whole place and then took the cups for free...... :D

meanwhile prufrock would be caught masturbating in the mens room......again :D

meanwhile prufrock would be caught masturbating in the mens room......again :D

If one was lucky as I would have thought it would have been in the cups....... :D

OK, now the OP has opened the door to serious lifestyle issues in LOS. I would like to register my own complaint. About the ice cream cone in MacDonald's, most often they will only start the fill from the top rim of the cone, leaving the base hollow with no ice cream. Definitely a deceptive practice. What should be done? I think I will make a "scene" in front of the manager next time.

OK, now the OP has opened the door to serious lifestyle issues in LOS. I would like to register my own complaint. About the ice cream cone in MacDonald's, most often they will only start the fill from the top rim of the cone, leaving the base hollow with no ice cream. Definitely a deceptive practice. What should be done? I think I will make a "scene" in front of the manager next time.
There's the well known trick of employing a bilingual gardener, something that according to hard facts has an incredible impact on price and expensiveness.

I notice this too.... To remedy I push the ice cream (with my tongue) down inside the cone as I'm eating it. That way when I get to the cone it actually has some ice cream inside it which allows for a more soggy cone....... Beats the hel_l out of arguing with a Thai over what, 9 or 10 baht???? :)

You should yell and scream at the server and all the other customers first, before asking for the manager, and then demand a years supply of free ice cream. It is only right.