Nissan March

rixalex

Well, here's a not very pleasant update. We ordered and paid deposit for a new March about a month ago, and the dealer promised it would arrive on 22nd of this month. Today, we visited the dealer because we were tired of the run around, and they just threw their arms up in the air and told us Nissan is swamped with orders country-wide, backlogged, and nobody is getting any cars. They could not tell us any date when we could expect our car.

Anybody had a better experience? :)

Haven't seen ONE march on the road as yet. I guess everyone is in the same boat. Be patient and hope you enjoy your car, when you get it:)

I was only thinking to myself this week, it's a bit strange that i haven't started seeing them popping up on the roads. Would have thought by now at least some people would have taken delivery.

On a side note, does anyone know how similar the March will be to the European Micra?

seen them on the road here in Phuket, but so far only burned orange or whatever its called

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only thinking to myself this week, it's a bit strange that i haven't started seeing them popping up on the roads.

"Popping up" would seem appropriate - they look like a Noddy car with mumps! I really can't see why they had to make it quite so ugly, inside and out; it's priced within 20% of so many other better looking new cars (Chevrolet, Proton, etc), not to mention a lot of far better secondhand-cars (Jazz, even Yaris) that I can understand why they have had to make it appeal to factory workers who they are directly targeting with low deposits, minimal interest rates and very long payment times. A bit disappointing for the "Thai wife=red plate" brigade who are still waiting for their orders, while some of the workers in Mabtaphut are already driving around in theirs, having paid little more so far than they would for a Honda Wave on finance.

Personally I would never buy any car without a proper test drive, or preferably a day trying out a rental. TIT, I suppose.

I really can't see why they had to make it quite so ugly, inside and out; it's priced within 20% of so many other better looking new cars (Chevrolet, Proton, etc),

Well i personally don't think it looks much worse or better than the Savy. Savy is quite a bit smaller too. The March will blow it out of the water. As for Chevy, are you talking about the Aveo? I think you'll find there's quite a big difference in the starting prices - the Chevy being a lot more and of course it has a Chavy badge which Nissan trumps - in Thailand anyway.

I can understand why they have had to make it appeal to factory workers who they are directly targeting with low deposits, minimal interest rates and very long payment times.

How long have you lived in Thailand? Do you really believe that Nissan is expecting an influx of factory workers through their showroom doors?! Do you have any idea how much factory workers get paid?

I really can't see why they had to make it quite so ugly, inside and out; it's priced within 20% of so many other better looking new cars (Chevrolet, Proton, etc),

Well i personally don't think it looks much worse or better than the Savy. Savy is quite a bit smaller too. The March will blow it out of the water. As for Chevy, are you talking about the Aveo? I think you'll find there's quite a big difference in the starting prices - the Chevy being a lot more and of course it has a Chavy badge which Nissan trumps - in Thailand anyway.

I can understand why they have had to make it appeal to factory workers who they are directly targeting with low deposits, minimal interest rates and very long payment times.

How long have you lived in Thailand? Do you really believe that Nissan is expecting an influx of factory workers through their showroom doors?! Do you have any idea how much factory workers get paid?

180-250 a day does not get you a March. Barely a Wave

I think March will be a huge success as soon as they can deliver and keep the prices. Savy needs salvation in this market, espesially when Honda introduces their 400k car in december.

The reason for the low prices for March and Honda micro, is support from BOI to start microcar industri in LOS. Huge support.

180-250 a day does not get you a March. Barely a Wave

I think March will be a huge success as soon as they can deliver and keep the prices. Savy needs salvation in this market, espesially when Honda introduces their 400k car in december.

The reason for the low prices for March and Honda micro, is support from BOI to start microcar industri in LOS. Huge support.

I too think the March will be a huge success. I hope Nissan stays on top of the game and not fumble this wonderful chance.

Protons won't do so as well unless they get some help from the government, their lowest priced Savvy is 399,000 vs 375,000 for the March.

Nissan got it made, their factory here is supposed to supply the domestic market as well as export to ASEAN. Aside from the left-hand and right-hand versions, their overall design will stay intact throughout Europe, India, China, ASEAN countries. From what I read, they are supposed to open a factories in India and China later this year to fullfill their goals.

If this is scaring the other auto manufacturers.. GREAT !!!! more power to the consumers !!! Hopefully more choices and lower prices in the coming future.

I too think the March will be a huge success. I hope Nissan stays on top of the game and not fumble this wonderful chance.

Protons won't do so as well unless they get some help from the government, their lowest priced Savvy is 399,000 vs 375,000 for the March.

Nissan got it made, their factory here is supposed to supply the domestic market as well as export to ASEAN. Aside from the left-hand and right-hand versions, their overall design will stay intact throughout Europe, India, China, ASEAN countries. From what I read, they are supposed to open a factories in India and China later this year to fullfill their goals.

If this is scaring the other auto manufacturers.. GREAT !!!! more power to the consumers !!! Hopefully more choices and lower prices in the coming future.

March is sold in all markets, and made only in LOS, India, China and Mexico. March is not a cheap car, basicly on par with yaris in price and spec, but qualifying for LOS BOI ecocar money makes it cheap in LOS

Proton Savy does not qualify for LOS BOI money, so I believe they dont stand a chance in LOS. In LOS they are basicly taxed like a Yaris, so only malay cheap manufactoring makes the price.

I was only thinking to myself this week, it's a bit strange that i haven't started seeing them popping up on the roads.

"Popping up" would seem appropriate - they look like a Noddy car with mumps! I really can't see why they had to make it quite so ugly, inside and out; it's priced within 20% of so many other better looking new cars (Chevrolet, Proton, etc), not to mention a lot of far better secondhand-cars (Jazz, even Yaris) that I can understand why they have had to make it appeal to factory workers who they are directly targeting with low deposits, minimal interest rates and very long payment times. A bit disappointing for the "Thai wife=red plate" brigade who are still waiting for their orders, while some of the workers in Mabtaphut are already driving around in theirs, having paid little more so far than they would for a Honda Wave on finance.

Personally I would never buy any car without a proper test drive, or preferably a day trying out a rental. TIT, I suppose.

* I like the ''Thai wife=red plate' brigade' comment, I've noticed this over the few years I've been living here in Bangkok, you mean wives constantly upgrade their cars, right? Yeah, I've seen this happen. Lately a mate of mine bought his wife a Freed, after she 'had' to trade in her perfectly good Civic.

* That's really interesting what other's are saying about the March getting a tax break, I thought it was similar to the Yaris, there's quite a difference in engine capacity though.

* I think it's still a little out of reach of 'factory workers' though.

* I'm enjoying reading about everyone who's ordered one, good luck to them. I still think the best feature is the 20km/litre fuel economy - all the other cars like Yaris/Vios/City/Jazz/Aveo/Proton are around 12km/l for city driving, so the March makes a huge and welcome improvement. I still hope to see the day when urban Thai's stop loving pick-ups - the city will be a safer, cleaner place.

In order:

17 years.

No - which is why Nissan have instead taken the car and their sales teams direct to the factories and the industrial estates and have already started delivering to those ordering on finance (three, in just one factory where some in-laws work already).

Yes - married couples on a basic salary including overtime in most large factories consistently take home between 16 and 20,000 baht a month - ample for a March on the terms they have offered.

..... and March vs Chevy. Yes, I was talking about the Aveo, and yes there is a big difference in starting prices; comparing like for like, or as close as you can get with the bottom of the range Aveo and top of the range March, however, there is far less in it. If you are just going to compare option lists, you may as well compare a Mini and a R-R as both have 4 wheels, an engine, etc - option lists by themselves are meaningless.

What disappoints me most about the March is that there is no need for it to be quite so ugly or quite so basic. It could have been far better designed, up to the same sort of level as the Yaris and the Jazz, at no extra cost - good design doesn't have to be any more expensive than bad design. Given the tax allowances it should also be considerably cheaper than it is, particularly when you look at how cheap the materials and the finish are when compared to other cars being taxed at the normal rate. For the price, cash, there are simply far better cars available as long as they don't have to have a red plate and be "green". If I only wanted economical green city transport then I'd buy a tricycle with a shopping basket, but I don't.

As long as the March is the only 'eco' car around it can afford to bear more than a passing resemblance to a lemon, but as soon as a better one comes along then they will either have to drop their prices or lose the market - either one will be a massive loss for those buying now and trying to sell later. Today's 'eco' car should be the Citroen 2 CV of six decades ago, but the March isn't - its just another cheaply made, under powered city car.

I don't think that the March is ugly :) , i think this is a personal opinion. I think Bentley's are ugly, does that make it a bad car or me a bad car buyer? :D

I also don't think that the March is an under powered car. I think the Ferrari is an over powered car, I also think the Benz S320 is under powered... would that make both the Ferrari and Benz a bad car?

I do agree that the March (along with every car manufactured in Thailand) are "basic", compared to the same models offered in the UK or US. I have a CRV and it's 10,000 USD more expensive with far less options. But I believe that is the result of companies vs consumers in Thailand. We, as a consumer group, just want cars that are less equiped and companies are giving it to us at a massive profit.

No - which is why Nissan have instead taken the car and their sales teams direct to the factories and the industrial estates and have already started delivering to those ordering on finance (three, in just one factory where some in-laws work already).

Yes - married couples on a basic salary including overtime in most large factories consistently take home between 16 and 20,000 baht a month - ample for a March on the terms they have offered.

OK, fair enough. That's your observation.

In my area, factory workers pretty much all seem to arrive and leave either by foot, by songtaew, by bus, or most commonly, by motorcy. I don't recall ever seeing any arrive by red-plated car, although i guess there must be some who with very tight financial management manage to buy one. I think they are however the extreme minority.

20,000 baht take home is in my opinion nowhere near the sort of salary needed to buy and run a brand new car here, even Savvy or March, although i have no doubt that credit companies will happily take the business, even if the customer is unable to see out all payments.

..... and March vs Chevy. Yes, I was talking about the Aveo, and yes there is a big difference in starting prices; comparing like for like, or as close as you can get with the bottom of the range Aveo and top of the range March, however, there is far less in it. If you are just going to compare option lists, you may as well compare a Mini and a R-R as both have 4 wheels, an engine, etc - option lists by themselves are meaningless.

I agree with what you are saying but the bottom line is, the March and the Aveo are not competing in the same sector.

What disappoints me most about the March is that there is no need for it to be quite so ugly or quite so basic. It could have been far better designed, up to the same sort of level as the Yaris and the Jazz, at no extra cost - good design doesn't have to be any more expensive than bad design. Given the tax allowances it should also be considerably cheaper than it is, particularly when you look at how cheap the materials and the finish are when compared to other cars being taxed at the normal rate. For the price, cash, there are simply far better cars available as long as they don't have to have a red plate and be "green". If I only wanted economical green city transport then I'd buy a tricycle with a shopping basket, but I don't.

As far as looks are concerned, of course that's in the eye of the beholder, but in terms of the trim level and spec, i completely agree. Nissan have been overly stingey. Really couldn't cost them much at all to put a radio or proper seats for example in the bottom spec model. Hopefully when Honda bring out their model it might make things a bit more competitive. As it stands, the March will still win hands down over the Savvy, if for nothing else than the badge.

As long as the March is the only 'eco' car around it can afford to bear more than a passing resemblance to a lemon, but as soon as a better one comes along then they will either have to drop their prices or lose the market - either one will be a massive loss for those buying now and trying to sell later.

Massive loss is an exaggeration. If you buy wisely (ie base model with extras or mid-range model - 375,000 and 425,000 respectively) and run for 3 or 4 years until warantee expires, you'll easily sell for 275,000 - 325,000. That's about 25% depreciation. Besides from expensive European cars, there are few cars here that ever suffer massive loss. March will be no different, no matter what Honda comes out with.

I don't think that the March is ugly :) , i think this is a personal opinion. I think Bentley's are ugly, does that make it a bad car or me a bad car buyer? :D

I also don't think that the March is an under powered car. I think the Ferrari is an over powered car, I also think the Benz S320 is under powered... would that make both the Ferrari and Benz a bad car?

I do agree that the March (along with every car manufactured in Thailand) are "basic", compared to the same models offered in the UK or US. I have a CRV and it's 10,000 USD more expensive with far less options. But I believe that is the result of companies vs consumers in Thailand. We, as a consumer group, just want cars that are less equiped and companies are giving it to us at a massive profit.

march is build 20% lighter than yaris to save fuel. Engine power is 20% less than yaris. Performance is similar. Fuel saving engines/idlestop like March dont come cheap.

Citroen 2CV 2,5 or 5 decades ago was a lovely car, but would today not be allowed in any developed country due to safety, and environment reasons. besides it would cost 3 times the March to manufactor. New designs/inexpensive production

Just saw a silver and a white march near my school. The white looked nicer. Might not look too bad lowered with some nice wheels. We could use a second car and think we will hold out to see what honda will produce. End of the year isn't it?

march is build 20% lighter than yaris to save fuel.

Yep. Don't forget when you close the bonnet to be careful your handprints don't leave an indent!

thats the price of fantastic milage :) .

the art of lightweight build though, is to maintain crash safety. Nissan has managed. Not bad :D

If yaris and march would cost the same in LOS with same kit, I d definately get a yaris. saving some fuel and emmision I leave to others.

But since BOI is heavily subsidising LOS ecocar industri, March is approx 100k less with same kit.

Even more excited about Hondas ecocar to be introduced in desember in LOS. Seen pics of the one displayed in India couple months back. Looks awesome.

Even more excited about Hondas ecocar to be introduced in desember in LOS. Seen pics of the one displayed in India couple months back. Looks awesome.

My concern with that is that if it really does look that awesome, might Honda be tempted to creep up the prices gradually as it nears production?

My concern with that is that if it really does look that awesome, might Honda be tempted to creep up the prices gradually as it nears production?

Honda-Newsmall-Concept-1.jpg

If it's the one pictured here, then it will be a while aways... since this is only a concept car. Usually, concepts will differ greatly to production cars.

I went to the Auto Expo in Bangkok and asked the Honda people when it will arrive, they said "...next year... end of next year."

Honda-Newsmall-Concept-1.jpg

If it's the one pictured here, then it will be a while aways... since this is only a concept car. Usually, concepts will differ greatly to production cars.

I went to the Auto Expo in Bangkok and asked the Honda people when it will arrive, they said "...next year... end of next year."

Honda LOS has stated scheduled presentation in december 2010, and entry level at 399k baht. Wheels, lights and bumpers likely to be cost reduced, but except for that this looks like a small and sporty CRV. Very Honda. 1200cc, 3 pot as I recall Hondas statement

Concept cars usually look sexy like this. Try imaging it with plastic wheel trims, plastic mirrors and no skirting - what you are left with is something not far off the March. Still, if they keep that rake that runs diagonally down the side, it will have more edge and that combined with the Honda badge should guarantee it high sales. How long before Toyota get in the act i wonder?

OK, fair enough. That's your observation. .... 20,000 baht take home is in my opinion nowhere near the sort of salary needed to buy and run a brand new car here, even Savvy or March, although i have no doubt that credit companies will happily take the business, even if the customer is unable to see out all payments.

I think we are actually more in agreement than you may think. I agree these people will have a very difficult time running a car on that sort of money, but that does not seem to have stopped them falling for the sales pitch. Good marketing, but it makes me worry aout second hand prices, which is why I think you would be lucky to sell one for only a 25% loss after 3 years - that may be the forecourt asking price, but that is a different matter.....

For me, if I had around 400,000 available and was looking for the best "city" car I could get at that price with reasonable running costs and minimal depreciation I would be looking for an early Yaris, preferably a 'G'. Not too many at that price, but there are some privately and although it may not have a red plate I know what I would prefer to be driving.

...and if my budget was closer to 300,000 I would be keeping my fingers crossed that Toyota would start producing the Aygo here and selling it at the projected 290,000 baht price - that really would be a good deal, if not a great one!

Edited by JohnLeech

Good marketing, but it makes me worry aout second hand prices, which is why I think you would be lucky to sell one for only a 25% loss after 3 years - that may be the forecourt asking price, but that is a different matter.....

Small Japanese cars in Thailand are never a problem selling on used privately and i have no doubt that if you bought a March at 425,000 and kept it for three years you would easily get over 300,000.

Just have a look at what is available at that price second hand. 10 year old plus Honda City's are going for 250,000 and up.

How long before Toyota get in the act i wonder?

so far they still think a LOS ecocar must be sedan, which they need to develop since no such on the shelves. sedan is more heavy than hatch, so difficult to qualify for BOIs 120 g/km CO2.

In Malaysia they already make the Myvi, which comes with many badges (even as a Subaru!!). But to skip taxes in LOS, ecocars must be LOS made, less than 1200cc, less than 120 g/km CO2, and be made in a certain volume/year.

Seems like Nissan and later Honda will share this cake

so far they still think a LOS ecocar must be sedan,

Weird that. I know when i first came to Thailand and saw how boring the cars were, i read somewhere that car manufactorer's didn't sell any hatches in the nation because the customer base simply wasn't interested in 5 or 3 door. I couldn't for the life of me fathom why Thais wouldn't. Then the Jazz came on the market and it proved it to be mumbo jumbo. Thais love em. Surely Toyota only has to look at sales of its own Yaris to know that.

Weird that. I know when i first came to Thailand and saw how boring the cars were, i read somewhere that car manufactorer's didn't sell any hatches in the nation because the customer base simply wasn't interested in 5 or 3 door. I couldn't for the life of me fathom why Thais wouldn't. Then the Jazz came on the market and it proved it to be mumbo jumbo. Thais love em. Surely Toyota only has to look at sales of its own Yaris to know that.

Cars in Thailand are so boring.

Just look at the Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi USA websites and they all offer so much more cars. In Japan it's even more!, just visit their domestic website. I think the consumers here just don't know how to demand better quality and wider range of products.

Cars in Thailand are so boring.

Just look at the Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi USA websites and they all offer so much more cars. In Japan it's even more!, just visit their domestic website. I think the consumers here just don't know how to demand better quality and wider range of products.

Of course you are correct in what you say - when i go back to Europe i tend to walk around agog looking at the array of different models that are available - but what i would say is that in the last ten years the Thai motor industry has improved greatly - the Nissan March is another step in the right direction. Long may it continue....

Toyota only has to look at sales of its own Yaris to know that.

The Yaris is outsold by the VIOS by a factor of more than 5:1

I'm quite surprised by that. I guess in the case of the Vios and the Yaris, the Yaris is a bit more expensive so that may account to some extent for the better sales of the Vios.

What about if we compare sales of the City and the Jazz. I would be very surprised if you told me that the City outsells the Jazz.

Or how about the Tiida hatch versus the Tiida sedan? Tiida sedan is quite a bit cheaper than hatch but rarely do i see them.

Anyway, regardless of sales figures, i think there is no doubt that hatches are pretty popular and becoming more popular by the day. Mazda releasing the hatch before the sedan in the case of the 2 i think confirms that.

Are you sure that's right in terms of annual sales in Thailand? The Vios has been on the market for quite a lot longer, as I recall, so you can't go by total sales figures, and I certainly dont see 5 times as many new/recent model Vios around as new/recent Yaris (Yarii?). Overall, though, its hard to tell as markets seem very "parochial" in Thailand.

Are you sure that's right in terms of annual sales in Thailand? The Vios has been on the market for quite a lot longer, as I recall, so you can't go by total sales figures, and I certainly dont see 5 times as many new/recent model Vios around as new/recent Yaris (Yarii?). Overall, though, its hard to tell as markets seem very "parochial" in Thailand.

I'm talking in an overall sense. The actual figures for Q1 2010 are as follows (these are the national sales figures):

Vios: 12,096

City: 8,439

Mazda 2: 3,492

Jazz: 3,333

Yaris: 3,017

I'm talking in an overall sense. The actual figures for Q1 2010 are as follows (these are the national sales figures):

Vios: 12,096

City: 8,439

Mazda 2: 3,492

Jazz: 3,333

Yaris: 3,017

Thanks for those figures. I find them surprising. In my area i see far more Jazz's than City's, although i guess to be fair, since the new City was released, they are becoming a more common sight.