Windows Emulator In Linux.

coalminer

I run Solaris now for most of the time and I am pretty satisfied with it.

But some applications still require Windows and are not available in Linux version.

Sure, I can run a VM in Linux and run the Windows applications in the VM.

But the best solution would be to have a Windows emulator in order to be able to run these programs under Linux and get rid of the whole MS thing.

I have found several Windows Emulators for Linux and I would like to install on of them, but I don't want to go trough testing everyine of them to find out which one is the best.

So, which Windows Emulator do you use and why?

TIA

I have used WINE in the past but always ran into problems with programs running properly. I know you may not want a VM, but I have found running Vitualbox from sun to be a much better solution.

I just boot it on my #6 desktop and it is always up and running. I file share betweeen the Linux host and windows guest. With full USB support and 3d accel. its no contest between the Vitualbox with windows installed and any sort of emulator.

If I had no Vitualbox I would still be using WINE. I run PClinuxOS.

Virtual box is fine, you ask it to boot on your windows partition, so you will have your Windows on a window under your Solaris. Works fine, and very easy to do.

Don't forget ton install the Virtual Box extensions when running Windows so you will have better mouse handler and USP support.

Rgds,

S.L.

Edited by vediovis

I use Crossover Linux Professional 7.01, which is the commercial version of Wine, it is capable or running most of the Windows software I sometimes use. Dreamweaver CS3, MS Office 2007, Internet Explorer 7, and a few less famous packages.

The good part of Crossover Linux is that it doesn't slowdown the applications, Dreamweaver runs as smooth inside Crossover as it does on native Windows XP...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I use Crossover Linux Professional 7.01, which is the commercial version of Wine, it is capable or running most of the Windows software I sometimes use. Dreamweaver CS3, MS Office 2007, Internet Explorer 7, and a few less famous packages.

The good part of Crossover Linux is that it doesn't slowdown the applications, Dreamweaver runs as smooth inside Crossover as it does on native Windows XP...

I have been browsing their website, and the application would be not bad at all.

Even the price is modest.

But the bottom line annihilates the purchase of this appication.

I run a lot of Thai applications under Windows (Thai - English - Thai translator, Thai dictionaries, Learning Thai programs, etc.) and the bottom line of Crossover specifies:

"Supported Languages

CrossOver Linux contains support for English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, and Japanese.

"

Too bad

• 2 weeks later...

I use Wine for most things (it's very effective, improved a lot over the last 2 years), 90% of the time stuff works. For MS Office 2007 and Photoshop CS2 I use Crossover (basically Wine tweaked) and for anything left over, virtualbox. However, I've found that I now mostly use native apps such as openoffice, gimp etc.