A 30-year-old Thai Foreign Worker Was Killed

dauu

Published: 03.18.10, 12:09 / Israel News

A 30-year-old Thai foreign worker was killed Thursday after a Qassam rocket hit the greenhouse area in Netiv Ha'asara in the Ashkelon Coast Regional Council, north of the Gaza Strip. Magen David Adom emergency units tried to resuscitate the man but were eventually forced to pronounce him dead.

The rocket exploded inside a greenhouse and caused it great damage as well as adjacent greenhouses. Sappers spent a considerable amount of time dismantling and collecting the rocket's remains.

According to estimates, several of the site's workers didn't respond to the Color Red alert which sounded in the community prior to the hit. Security forces are currently present at the site.

"A Color Red alert was sounded," one of the community's residents related. "We ran to find cover. There were about 20 seconds until we heard a very loud explosion. I saw the smoke and realized it hit a hothouse compound belonging to one of the local residents, where a group of Thai workers was employed. To the best of my knowledge there are concrete shelters and one would have made it there on time, but apparently the workers didn't respond to the warnings," he added.

The attack marks the third time rockets have been fired into Israeli territory in the last 24 hours. On Wednesday night a rocket exploded in an open area in Sderot. Several hours earlier another rocket landed in the region causing two people to suffer from anxiety.

The al-Qaeda affiliated Ansar al-Suna Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack. The group also claimed responsibility for the firing of a rocket which hit the Eshkol Regional Council last week. According to recent estimates there is a greater chance that radical Islamist elements will increase firing from Gaza, though Hamas, which controls the Strip, is doing its best to prevent such attacks at the present time.

During her visit to the Gaza Strip, EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton condemned the firing of the rocket into Israel and said that she condemns "any kind of violence."

beat me to it: sadly confirmed; a friend of mine is a translator and lives in netivot , an other poverty stricken town that suffered last year from the kassems;

the workers seem to have become rather nonchalant or impervious to the 'red dawn' warning siren and to the quiet that thyeve had since last december's little war so they werent really 'trigger happy' to run so they didnt-- (usually u have 2 mnutes to get to a shelter and everyone is well practiced but for some reason in their area it is 20 secnds because they are exactly at the border so there is no time lag (green houses are usually on the outskirts of the living areas so closer to the actual area where a kassem is launched.) social workers and translaters have been sent since some are in shell shock. many of the workers were taken to an other moshav for a few days until , i guess, the consulate makes a decision (which will be business as usual, for economic reasons on both sides).the guy was there four years and has a family in thailand. i have no other details at the moment. poor guy.

my son is posted in kisofim, also right on the border and two weeks ago there was a bombing of a jeep near him...life as usual here; there goes my trip to the zikim beach for our holiday. anon has vetoed it. he says he doesnt want to become bbq... (bit of morbid humour here, we all have it)

bina

israel

I am not entirely sure how we are meant to read this. It could simply be another Thai bashing thread about how stupid it is to hang out anywhere near the Gaza strip with a war going on if you have a choice not to.

A Palestinian bashing thread for indiscriminant rocket attacks on the Israelis.

Or, an Israeli bashing tread pointing out how the Israelis have pushed the Palestinians into such desperate acts of self preservation and retaliation.

It could be all three.

It is non news otherwise.

Edited by Pakboong

Sad news.

Thais die every day every where. All death is sad. Usually, such deaths are not posted on Thai Visa. Posting this particular death wreaks of a political statement. If the political statement is anti Palestinian, it is appropriate to represent their disenfranchised political view in some way if needed. There are enough Israeli expats and zionists from the other countries posting here to ensure that point of view will be represented.

Someone with a family was killed. There seems to be a failure to grasp that the Thais living in Israel do so because they are working. Working to send money home to their families.

Have a tiny bit of consideration for the fact that someone out there mourns his death.

Someone with a family was killed. There seems to be a failure to grasp that the Thais living in Israel do so because they are working. Working to send money home to their families.

Have a tiny bit of consideration for the fact that someone out there mourns his death.

I simply cannot believe this post was that innocent. If I am wrong, great.

I am not entirely sure how we are meant to read this. It could simply be another Thai bashing thread about how stupid it is to hang out anywhere near the Gaza strip with a war going on if you have a choice not to.

A Palestinian bashing thread for indiscriminant rocket attacks on the Israelis.

Or, an Israeli bashing tread pointing out how the Israelis have pushed the Palestinians into such desperate acts of self preservation and retaliation.

It could be all three.

It is non news otherwise.

What it is is a thread about a Thai worker that was killed in Israel. Show some respect.

Israel should make a parking lot out of the Gaza strip.

Why say this after one Thai person gets killed. Thousands if not more have been killed in this long war. By the sounds of this there was a warning system in place but the Thai's didnt respone to it. I have been in around these places. If they want to live there and send the money home to there familys they have to learn this is not Thailand. If people there are to lazy or dont care enough to learn what is going on there ( in terms of a war ) then people should not go moaning when something bad happens. Bad news to learn of any death. But if this person learned about the warning system that is in place, he would still be alive.

This is a thread about a Thai killed in Middle East. Not about Zionist/Palestinian conquest.

You're right. However, by using the word Zionist, rather than Israel, do you realize you just made an inference about the conflict? Considering the Palestinian political people have resisted recognizing the legality of the very existence of the state of Israel? (Many Israelis are NOT Jewish.) The name of the country is Israel, not Zion. Cheers.

I understand the desire to keep this about this Thai worker and Thai workers in general. However, if you do some research into why Israel needs so many Thai workers, that will bring you back to the story of the conflict.

Edited by Jingthing

This is a thread about a Thai killed in Middle East. Not about Zionist/Palestinian conquest.

Correct.

I don`t give a toss about the eternal middle east conflict, who cares?

Very sad and extremely tragic for the Thai worker and his family. It`s just a case of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

I wonder if the Thai worker`s family will receive any sort of financial compansation from the Israelis or will they use this red warning system as an excuse not to pay out.

R.I.P

Correct.

I don`t give a toss about the eternal middle east conflict, who cares?

Very sad and extremely tragic for the Thai worker and his family. It`s just a case of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

I wonder if the Thai worker`s family will receive any sort of financial compansation from the Israelis or will they use this red warning system as an excuse not to pay out.

R.I.P

Actually many people care. You may not give a moments thought to thousands of people dying year in year out but some do. Israel has a massive propaganda concern whereas the Palestinians do not.

RIP to the dead Thai. Another victim in a one sided war.

If it is one sided and the Thai worker was on the Israeli side of the border, that is a very funny kind of one sided. Yes, many people care. Most people in Israel believe in the two state solution. Can the same be said about most Palestinians? For peace, there has to be respect and compromise on BOTH sides.

Edited by Jingthing

You're right. However, by using the word Zionist, rather than Israel, do you realize you just made an inference about the conflict? Considering the Palestinian political people have resisted recognizing the legality of the very existence of the state of Israel? (Many Israelis are NOT Jewish.) The name of the country is Israel, not Zion. Cheers.

I understand the desire to keep this about this Thai worker and Thai workers in general. However, if you do some research into why Israel needs so many Thai workers, that will bring you back to the story of the conflict.

point well put, jingthing.

Edited by tigerfish

If it is one sided and the Thai worker was on the Israeli side of the border, that is a very funny kind of one sided. Yes, many people care. Most people in Israel believe in the two state solution. Can the same be said about most Palestinians? For peace, there has to be respect and compromise on BOTH sides.

Nonsense, the Palestinians, of which the vast majority are peaceful and want peace are treated like garbage. Do your homework.

My condolences, poor guy.

I mentioned this in a thread awhile back that was about Israel kicking out Thai workers from restaurants and stuff. I said they are lucky to have Thais there and they should get more money as a hazard pay just for stepping foot in the occupied territories. And someone came back with a response saying how it wasn't dangerous and no one paid the rockets any mind... I hope The Thais there can get better pay after this at least. Damm.

not when you have had people in power in the last 10/15 years, such of the like as ariel sharom and benjamin netenyahu.

and what percentage of the population of israel are hasidic/ orthodox jews?

Edited by tigerfish

Just goes to show you. TW's brother in law has just returned from 2 years work in Israel near to the same area, enjoyed it immensely, repaid the loan I gave him as well as the bank's to get the start and looking forward to returning for another 2 years to reap the 'rewards' (this and subsequent trips being debt free go into his pocket).

This incident will not stop him!

not when you have had people in power in the last ten years, such of the like as ariel sharom and benjamin netenyahu.

and what percentage of the population of israel are hasidic/ orthodox jews?

The super religious are a MINORITY there; that is common knowledge to anyone who knows about Israel. The biggest numbers are SECULAR Jews (non-religious).

Religion in Israel is a central feature of the country and plays a major role in shaping Israeli culture and lifestyle, and Israel is the only country in the world where a majority of citizens are Jewish. According to the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics, the population in 2008 was 75.4% Jewish, 20.6% Arab, and 4% minority groups. [1] The religious affiliation of the Israeli population as of 2005 was 76.2% Jewish, 16.1% Muslim, 2.1% Christian, and 1.6% Druze, with the remaining 4.0% not classified by religion.[2]

Religious self-definition

As of 2006[update], 7% of Israeli Jews defined themselves as Haredim; an additional 10% as "religious"; 14% as "religious-traditionalists" ; 22% as "non-religious-traditionalists" (not strictly adhering to Jewish law or halakha); and 44% as "secular" (Hebrew: חִלּוֹנִי‎, Hiloni).[5] As of 1999[update], 65% of Israeli Jews believe in God,[6] and 85% participate in a Passover seder.[7] However, other sources indicate that between 15% and 37% of Israelis identify themselves as either agnostics or atheists.[8][unreliable source?]

Israelis tend not to align themselves with a movement of Judaism (such as Reform Judaism or Conservative Judaism) but instead tend to define their religious affiliation by degree of their religious practice.

Of the Arab Israelis, as of 2008, 82.7% were Muslims, 8.4% were Druze, and 8.3% were Christians.[2] Just over 80% of Christians are Arabs, and the majority of the remaining immigrants are from the former Soviet Union who immigrated with a Jewish relative. About 81% of Christian births are to Arab women.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Israel Edited by Jingthing

Most people in Israel believe in the two state solution. Can the same be said about most Palestinians? For peace, there has to be respect and compromise on BOTH sides.

Nonsense, the Palestinians, of which the vast majority are peaceful and want peace are treated like garbage. Do your homework.

Well looks like compromise real estate wise has been a one way street...........

Condolences to the Thai relatives of the victim.

post-51988-1268985881_thumb.jpg

Most people in Israel believe in the two state solution. Can the same be said about most Palestinians? For peace, there has to be respect and compromise on BOTH sides.

Well looks like compromise real estate wise has been a one way street...........

You've made your point. Now what? Both peoples live there.

You've made your point. Now what? Both peoples live there.

You guys put the map in there for us not familiar with the region (oops) to point out the location of the incident regarding the Thai?

Edited by bkkjames