Help...her Mum...

giruz

Well...

This is my first post...i discovered this forum just 1h ago...to be quick...

I'm an Italian student in Australia

She is a Thai student in Australia

We are together...and...I'm in Italy to fix some 'bureaucratic problems' but on the way back from Italy to Sydney I will stop in Bangkok to meet her mum and bro (14yo).

They paid the hotel because 'I'm one of the family' (ARGHHH!!!!TOO SOON!!! :o )

(the hotel is grand hotel bangkok...it is good?)

So...What I should bring from Italy for them? (Mum & Bro)

I was thinking some liqueur for the mum ( www.disaronno.com ) because it is a typical Italian product...but I'm not sure...I don't know very well the Thai traditions...

Can anyone help me?

thanks

giruz

Well...

We are together...and...I'm in Italy to fix some 'bureaucratic problems' but on the way back from Italy to Sydney I will stop in Bangkok to meet her mum and bro (14yo).

They paid the hotel because 'I'm one of the family' (ARGHHH!!!!TOO SOON!!! :D )

I was thinking some liqueur for the mum ( www.disaronno.com ) because it is a typical Italian product...but I'm not sure...I don't know very well the Thai traditions...

Can anyone help me?

thanks

giruz

Giruz bring your most recent bank statement, and be sure to tell them whats yours is theirs too... :o

Chok Dee,

Sully

Edited by Sully

Well...

Maybe some perfume for the mother (Duty free on the plane) and a Manchester United shirt for the young brother. Does Italy play football?

Edited by mpdkorat

Well...

Maybe some perfume for the mother (Duty free on the plane) and a Manchester United shirt for the young brother. Does Italy play football?

I agree with the football shirt idea.... :D

Have you asked your GF what would be appropriate... she would know better than any of us... :D

totster :o

YOUR HOTEL WAS GRAND HOTEL OR LE GRAND HOTEL? IF IT IS "LE GRAND HOTEL" THEN IT SHOULD BE FINE CO'Z OUR CLIENTS FROM VERONA USE TO STAY WITH THIS HOTEL.

ABOUT THE GIFT, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO ASK YOUR GF CO'Z SHE KNOWS HER FAMILY MORE THAN US. BUT I SUGGEST SAME WITH "MPDKORAT" POSTED SOME KIND OF "ARMANI" PERFUME FOR THE MOTHER AND MAYBE "AC MILAN FOOTBALL SHIRTS" FOR THE BROTHER. :o GOOD LUCK MAN.. YOU ARE MOST WELCOME TO THAILAND :D:D

YOUR HOTEL WAS GRAND HOTEL OR LE GRAND HOTEL? IF IT IS "LE GRAND HOTEL" THEN IT SHOULD BE FINE CO'Z OUR CLIENTS FROM VERONA USE TO STAY WITH THIS HOTEL.

ABOUT THE GIFT, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO ASK YOUR GF CO'Z SHE KNOWS HER FAMILY MORE THAN US. BUT I SUGGEST SAME WITH "MPDKORAT" POSTED SOME KIND OF "ARMANI" PERFUME FOR THE MOTHER AND MAYBE "AC MILAN FOOTBALL SHIRTS" FOR THE BROTHER. :o  GOOD LUCK MAN.. YOU ARE MOST WELCOME TO THAILAND  :D  :D

TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK SO THAT it starts to look like this, OR YOU WILL BE HAVING A HOLIDAY!

RDN

Moderator, who likes it quiet, and peaceful, and definitely no shouting.

ABOUT THE GIFT, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO ASK YOUR GF CO'Z SHE KNOWS HER FAMILY MORE THAN US. BUT I SUGGEST SAME WITH "MPDKORAT" POSTED SOME KIND OF "ARMANI" PERFUME FOR THE MOTHER AND MAYBE "AC MILAN FOOTBALL SHIRTS" FOR THE BROTHER. :o  GOOD LUCK MAN.. YOU ARE MOST WELCOME TO THAILAND  :D  :D

TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK SO THAT it starts to look like this, OR YOU WILL BE HAVING A HOLIDAY!

RDN

Moderator, who likes it quiet, and peaceful, and definitely no shouting.

oppsss got yah :D ... thanks...

keyboard4.jpg

love it everytime someone gives me the chance to pull this out............

Giruz bring your most recent bank statement, and be sure to tell them whats yours is theirs too... 

Chok Dee,

Sully

Ignore comments like these.

This guy has probably had a bad experience from a girl from another social standing than your gf.

Well...

They paid the hotel because 'I'm one of the family' (ARGHHH!!!!TOO SOON!!! :o )

Can anyone help me?

thanks

giruz

The Mum is the centre of the family - just like in Italy.

You win her heart and you will never have any problems.

If you can afford it, buy for her, something she can show her friends. Ideally a piece of gold jewellry - not religious.

If this is out of the question (too expensive), how about some best Italian Olive Oil.

As others have said, I do not think alcohol is a good idea - unless perhaps Italian wine. There are many Thai families who have never tasted good Italian wine.

Does Italy play football?

Is the Pope Cath... oh never mind.

Alcohol is a bit of a risky gift for a Thai mother. You might get labelled as an alcoholic.

Re being part of the family, if you're a boyfriend, they probably expect you to be the future husband. Scary, isn't it? :o

This isn't Scary..this is terrorizing...

About the gift you are right..

I moved to Italian Olive Oil and Armani Purfume...the problem is with the boy. A ######ing t-shirt of ACMilan is not less than 89EUROS (around 4500THB for the non european readers).

Thanks for the help

giruz

If you can afford it, buy for her, something she can show her friends. Ideally a piece of gold jewellry - not religious.

If this is out of the question (too expensive), how about some best Italian Olive Oil.

As others have said, I do not think alcohol is a good idea - unless perhaps Italian wine. There are many Thai families who have never tasted good Italian wine.

Most Thai families have never tasted wine. Period. (Unless you count sartor, as being wine :D ). So, the question of it being good, indifferent or anti-freeze wine is immaterial imho, it'll be put on ice and hoofed down all the same. But then as there'd no mention of Paw, and little 14 yr old Somchai is a little young for victuals, then it could be put in the back of the cupboard and left as a bad present. Need to find out if M-In-L drinks first, before going the booze route. :D

Gold jewellry, is a bit like taking coals to Newcastle, (or Fiats to Turin) and while not being a bomber present, might be construed as a hard come-on for her daughter's hand, and you will thus be a marked man.

Olive oil, could be alright, IF she's a knowledgable foodie and likes a bit of pasta, tossed salads and spag bol, now and again. If not, leave the price label on to show it's not the same as the GMO soya oil she currently gets down Tescos. :D

Now, a classic Italian handbag by one of your top designers could get her juices going and make you a star, if she's anything like those women who drool outside the Gucci shop windows in WTC or Siam Centre. Shoes are out, but if your feeling a bit tight (as all students are supposed to!) then just get the old dear an immitation Made in China knock off model of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and be done with it man. Ditto model Ferrari for the nipper. :D

Benuvenuto Bangkok.

One question? Did she book you and daughter seperate rooms or one room? Not being nosy or nuffin. :o

Alcohol is a bit of a risky gift for a Thai mother. You might get labelled as an alcoholic.

Re being part of the family, if you're a boyfriend, they probably expect you to be the future husband. Scary, isn't it? :o

I moved to Italian Olive Oil and Armani Purfume...the problem is with the boy. A ######ing t-shirt of ACMilan is not less than 89EUROS (around 4500THB for the non european readers).

Thanks for the help

giruz

oh man, its sound trouble for the boys gift. :D how about you try a mug with football team marks, or maybe a banner or even cheap t-shirt with the photo of DUMO. I think it would be great. :D

Thanks for the help

giruz

Just get a couple of T-shirts not the jerseys . Thai people are very thankful for any gift . Mother Perfume , great Idea

Most Thai families have never tasted wine. Period. (Unless you count sartor, as being wine  :D ). So, the question of it being good, indifferent or anti-freeze wine is immaterial imho, it'll be put on ice and hoofed down all the same. But then as there'd no mention of Paw, and little 14 yr old Somchai is a little young for victuals, then it could be put in the back of the cupboard and left as a bad present. Need to find out if M-In-L drinks first, before going the booze route.  :D 

Gold jewellry, is a bit like taking coals to Newcastle, (or Fiats to Turin) and while not being a bomber present, might be construed as a hard come-on for her daughter's hand, and you will thus be a marked man.

Olive oil, could be alright, IF she's a knowledgable foodie and likes a bit of pasta, tossed salads and spag bol, now and again. If not, leave the price label on to show it's not the same as the GMO soya oil she currently gets down Tescos.  :D 

Now, a classic Italian handbag by one of your top designers could get her juices going and make you a star, if she's anything like those women who drool outside the Gucci shop windows in WTC or Siam Centre. Shoes are out, but if your feeling a bit tight (as all students are supposed to!) then just get the old dear an immitation Made in China knock off model of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and be done with it man. Ditto model Ferrari for the nipper.  :D

Benuvenuto Bangkok.

One question? Did she book you and daughter seperate rooms or one room? Not being nosy or nuffin.  :o

Well...

FIRST Big problem...She (the daughter) doesn't come with me, she still stay in Australia because she is doing her MBA. So...I'm alone against the family :D

About Gucci, Prada &c... Ok that is a gift ..but. I’m Italian not a rich Italian. Even in my family we cannot spend 400Euros for a bag.

I think I will buy an Armani's perfume and for the brother something with the Ferrari log (it is always about the price...I cannot spend 100Euros for a ######ing cap made in China with Ferrari Logo)

thanks

giruz

Edited by giruz

Well...

FIRST Big problem...She (the daughter) doesn't come with me, she still stay in Australia because she is doing her MBA. So...I'm alone against the family  :o

You're a brave, brave lad!

Is this your first time visiting Thailand also?

Your choice of gifts will be fine- the perfume will go over nicely.

The Grand Hotel is also nice enough- on Ratchadaphisek Road. It is upper middle prices because it is favored by the Japanese. If you are feeling a bit bored or lonely after your hosts have left / gone to bed there is a brilliant place across the road called Posiedon Entertainment. Worth checking out- search on the net for info.

Why not the simple things that are hard to get here that are cheap in Italy?

Impress your "new" family with something that shows more thought than how much it costs unless that is what you are all about.

Good olive oil in a beautiful bottle is good for show even if they don't like or appreciate olive oil.

Every Mom loves sweets. Biscotti from your own neighborhood or some that your own family made. Unusual nuts like walnuts, pecans or pine nuts. Unusual chocolates from Italy or a nearby European country. The kind you or your family like - not necessarily the most expensive.

Minced sweet basil preserved in olive oil for pesto. Preserved peppers. Better if you made it yourself or your family made it.

Why don't you pick up some fresh bakery stuff right before your plane takes off so that it is still soft and almost warm from the oven.

Just my ten Baht worth. Good luck.

chuckacinco

Chuckacinco

Well...

They paid the hotel because 'I'm one of the family' (ARGHHH!!!!TOO SOON!!! :D )

Can anyone help me?

thanks

giruz

Call the local pizza Hut, extra topping of pepperoni is a must :D:o

Never mind the kid, just get the mum somthing. I wouldnt go for Olive Oil, thats just crap, and they will probaly think that its whisky and drink it. Why not try some nice Italian wine. I know its alcohol but there is a touch of sophistication about wine.

Don't bring anything at all.

Your financial status must be known by now (if there is a communication between mum and daughter).

Behave yourself just a little bit better than normal because that is what it is all about.

Mum wants to know who is dating her daughter.

This is not a "sick cow" family.

I went to the same.Only I had to introduce to the siblings first (to get permission to meet the parents).But that is about 30 years ago :o

(in august I am married 28 years with that same person)

Don't pay attention to all those rural remarks,just be yourself

Meeting the future in-laws isn't normally as bad as you think it's going to be. They are just wanting to meet you and get to know what a wonderful guy their daughter has found. So long as you look presentable and are over polite it'll be fine.

Present wise, forget the shirt (unless you pop to the market when you land in BKK) - my friends always buy their footie shirts here, not back in Europe! Unless you future wife tells you something different I wouldn't risk a present for the brother in law, just something nice for the mum...

Good Luck...... :o

If you are feeling a bit bored or lonely after your hosts have left / gone to bed there is a brilliant place across the road called Posiedon Entertainment. Worth checking out- search on the net for info.

Even better yet... go ahead and take the mother in law and your new nephew there for dinner. Plush velvet seats, pretty good food. Good atmosphere. I have about 80% of my membership leftover there if you'd like to buy a couple of discount coupons from me.

:o

If you are feeling a bit bored or lonely after your hosts have left / gone to bed there is a brilliant place across the road called Posiedon Entertainment. Worth checking out- search on the net for info.

Even better yet... go ahead and take the mother in law and your new nephew there for dinner. Plush velvet seats, pretty good food. Good atmosphere. I have about 80% of my membership leftover there if you'd like to buy a couple of discount coupons from me.

:D

Come on, guys :o