Phuket To Buriram On A Honda Wave

octavedave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you're all aware theWave and its predecessors were voted 'the best bike ever' by Discovery Channel. Chosen by a panel of biker riders, racers, writers, and collectors because of its amazing design, durability, and how it brought bikes to the masses.

A 50 year old design still doing fantastic.

Doesn't the Honda 50 have the highest numbers produced of any motorcycle in production? Pretty sure I saw that on the Discovery channel a year or so back.

When it's a 125cc Wave-i great fun guaranteed ! I learned this is a very good long distance bike, did many times Chiangmai-Maesai-Chiangmai in 1 day, 500km or so no problem. With a 110cc Wave I would never do it, this is a typical girl bike with poor acceleration and not much power, very annoying for long trips.

Ah yes, the 110cc wave is a girlie bike. Real men ride 125cc Waves! :)

I have a 125 Sonic, does that count :D

Just takin' the piss my friend. :D Sonics look like wicked fun urban assault vehicles- I'm amazed how some of the Thai guys fly through Bangkok traffic on 'em.

When it's a 125cc Wave-i great fun guaranteed ! I learned this is a very good long distance bike, did many times Chiangmai-Maesai-Chiangmai in 1 day, 500km or so no problem. With a 110cc Wave I would never do it, this is a typical girl bike with poor acceleration and not much power, very annoying for long trips.

Ah yes, the 110cc wave is a girlie bike. Real men ride 125cc Waves! :)

I have a 125 Sonic, does that count :D

Just takin' the piss my friend. :D Sonics look like wicked fun urban assault vehicles- I'm amazed how some of the Thai guys fly through Bangkok traffic on 'em.

No offense taken mate, I was taking the piss as well :D The Sonic is still going strong, I think we've owned it for nigh on seven years now. The only thing it needs now is a new clutch, as its starting to hunt a bit when engaging. Can't complain mind you, its taken my 85kgs flogging it around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for all that time. It will have a new bed partner soon though.

Edited by Garry

Sonics look like wicked fun urban assault vehicles-

Be thankful you don't have Yamaha 125Zs over there. Imagine a 2-stroke Wave with twice the power and a top speed of 160+... unmodified :)

Eats tyres like crazy though, if you're like me and drive at a minimum of 6000rpm. Anything less is wasting fuel!

Edited by Kalyan

depends how much the op weighs and the seat is the weakest point on these bikes, don't know if you can get a gel pad of something. also wear gloves as holding the throttle open for hours can be a pain, and decent boots just in case the worst happens and this time of year you will need layers and layers of sun cream as sitting on a bike in the breeze intensifies the effect of the sun and some proper spec sunglasses as riding into a setting sun can really do your eyesight after a day in the saddle. my thai woman was convinced that we had to stop every hour to let the tyres cool down or they would explode (the rear did get very hot to be fair) but no problems from a 30,000k Yamaha 110 engine in doing 500km in a day. the only weakness going up steep hills, I was down to first gear a couple of times.

Hope you're all aware theWave and its predecessors were voted 'the best bike ever' by Discovery Channel. Chosen by a panel of biker riders, racers, writers, and collectors because of its amazing design, durability, and how it brought bikes to the masses.

Doesn't the Honda 50 have the highest numbers produced of any motorcycle in production? Pretty sure I saw that on the Discovery channel a year or so back.

Yes. And it's a predecessor of the Wave. Basically, they're the same bike and family. Look at an old Honda 50 then a new Wave and you really won't find too much difference.

There was a great episode of top gear where James May rode a Honda 50 from Ho chi minh city to Ha Long near Hanoi- 1000miles.

Richard hammond rode a russian built 125 2stroke minsk and Clarkson rode a Piaggio Vespa.

This was by far the funniest and best top gear episode ever.

So if they can do it im sure the OP can, Good luck.

Mike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Vietnam_Special

No problem at all, as aforesaid.

Malaysians cover incredible distance on a regular basis on their little cubs.

The Japanese invaded Malaya in record time using bicycles. God knows what would happen to the world if they had Honda Waves instead :)

My friend (Mani )from singapore rode his wave 125R from singapore all the way up to Chiang mai and back. Shocking but true..

Take a few simple precautions and you will have few or no problems. Tyres are the most important. Especially the rear. Fit a new Dunlop, Michellin are nearly as good, IRC will do at a pinch. The rest are flimsy and you will be stranded with a flat tyre somewhere or other. Also buy a tyre pressure gauge and check pressures every three days or so. I guess you will have a bit of a load on so put 40-45psi in the back. Take a spare spark plug with you and a bottle of spare fuel. Keep the chain adjusted and well lubed. You will definitely have a very sore bum.

The Wave is a great little bike and will be less tired at the end of the trip than you. I worked for many years as a bike mechanic and still keep my hand in looking after friends bikes here in Thailand so the above advice is good.

Have a great trip mate. :)

Good advice except for the 40-45psi in the rear tyre.

Go 3psi over the manual recommendation. :D

No problem at all, as aforesaid.

Malaysians cover incredible distance on a regular basis on their little cubs.

The Japanese invaded Malaya in record time using bicycles. God knows what would happen to the world if they had Honda Waves instead :)

My friend (Mani )from singapore rode his wave 125R from singapore all the way up to Chiang mai and back. Shocking but true..

Was that the guy who posted his travels, tales and photos in the GT-Rider forum? :D

Yes a Wave can do it as others also mention. The Wave is a rock solid bike if you change the oil as pr stated in the manual or earlier.

A poster here (Lancelot i think) drove Pattaya- Chiang Mai and back on his cheap Wave.

You will get a sore arse though :)

Have a good trip :D

Yep, it was me :D

Pattaya to CM was a 2 day ride. CM to BKK was a one day ride-just to see if I could do it. Waves are tough; go for it :D

OctaveDave,

I did a long trip from Ubon Ratchathani to Suratthani maybe 3 years back. Was an awesome trip. I was on a Honda Nova 2-stroke Anniversary edition... 1999? Can't even remember the bike's year. It was a blast... that's a very responsive/fast bike and I love long trips. I felt safe the entire time, but cruising through bangkok in the rain was a horrorshow. Watch the slick metal grates in the bridges...

It's funny, but, shave your ass - or cut it short if you're a hairy son of a gun because what hurts over the long-haul is the pulling of the hair on your upper thighs (back) and arse.

I worked up to it - some long 1-3 hour rides in the weeks leading up to it. Once I went - it was not a problem and I just enjoyed riding sometimes 5 hours a day, sometimes 3. Once I went 10 hours.

Bike held up fine - water/coolant cooled. No flat tires. Exhaust did fall off at 110km/hr and scared the hel_l outta me because I thought a CBR 900 without an exhaust was racing by me... I was waiting for a crash for 5 seconds before I realized - that's MY bike making that 150 decibel noise...

Found a Honda shop at next exit and got one for 1100 baht.

There's a whole lot to this story, but, anyone can do it - it's just a question of - do you LOVE to drive the motorbike?

What is there in Buriram thats worth that type of ordeal :D:D:D

Taking bets theres a woman involved :D !!

Hopefully more than one, to make it worth the ride (no pun intended) :D

yes,fair comment.

There are not too many in this country and you really have to travel far to find a good 'un :)

YES!!

Honda Cub Series is the highest volume selling bike in the world ever! I suspect it always will be too.

I have a 36 year old Honda C70 with a modified Wave/Tiger Engine. I did Korat to Petchaboon and back in less than 20 hours including spending the night camped at an esso garage on the concrete. IT WAS A BLAST!!

I have a very modified engine that will pull 130kmh with an 85kg rider and tools and tent. I cruised at about 110 all the way back cos I was alone. On the way out I was up and down 65kph - 130kph playing silly beggers with my bike club.

Riding at about 80kmp you will only need to stop as often as you need petrol. Bike will be fine. If its in the very hot season make sure you check the oil level between fill ups. takes 20 seconds but will tell you the health of your engine which is priceless.

Ride safe!

Oh, we carried those 5 lt water bottles full of petrol at night. never know whats open on the country roads... :)

I suggest if you bought it new immediately change the rear tire. They usually sell new motorbikes with two front tires in stead of with much thicker rear tire. This may cause frequent leakage and a thick rear tire drives much better.

Don,t worry,this engine don,t let you down.The only downpoint is,soar ash,maybe stiff neck.Do it the bike will not let you down.Drove to penang with this things years ago.

Of course, of course, of course.. :)

Of course a Honda Wave can do it, regardless of its a 100, 110 or a 125. My old Honda Dream 100 that I bought new in 1993 or 1994 has done 140,000 km something and it is the most reliable bike around. I still keep it because of nostalgia; it helped me to build a new life in this country and it has served me well.

I would absolutely increase the number of teeth on the front sprocket with 1, that will make the engine run on lower rews - or rather - allow a higher cruising speed. 90 km per hour is a somewhat low cruising speed, I'd increase that to 100 to 105 km per hour. Trust me: The bike will not! decide when you need to take breaks, you will. 3 days is enough but you won't want to sit down for a couple of days after that :D

Yes, why not, I am sure that it can be done, it already has been done even. I remember coming in to the petrol station to the left before Satuk back in 2000 feeling pretty proud of myself after driving from Bangkok and talked to the guy who filled up my bike. He and a couple of friends of his had been driving from Satuk to Phuket and back on motorcycles a couple of years earlier...