Air Asia Questions

shawndoc

Ok, I've booked a flight on Air Asia to NST and have some questions about baggage. I've checked their website, and it wasn't as clear as I would have liked it.

1. It appears that we're limited to 1 carry-on. Do they count a woman's handbag or purse as a carry on?

2. We'll be bringing a lot of baggage with us from the States. My wife is stocking up on goodies for the whole (extended) family. I didn't see anything about how many bags we could each check, just a weight limit. Is there a limit on number of bags?

3. Is the checked bagged fee weight per bag, or total weight of all bags?

4. Any alternate (cheaper) way of getting the checked baggage there, such as shipping it from the airport?

Why Air Asia? Because they're the only ones offering a flight between Suvarnabhumi and NST, and after an 18 hour flight I didn't want to deal with transferring to Don Muang and my wife didn't want to waste time with a train or bus there.

1. Nah personal items are fine, mind you up to discretion of the gate agent. However taken a carry-on and a notebook on prior occasions. Also seen what would be considered freight being brought aboard. :)

2. No limit on bags

3. Total Weight

4. Not sure, but a mate of mine shipped her honda wave from Samui to CM for a few thousand baht. Can't be that much. :D

IME, what you have to be careful of with AirAsia, is the weight of your bags. They won't hesitate to charge you more for excess weight.

That's why I was asking for alternative ways of getting the luggage there.

I'm sure we're going to end up paying way more for baggage than for the actual tickets. I've seen how much my wife packs just for her for a few days, let alone 2+ weeks plus all the gifts for friends and family.

Edited by shawndoc

IME, what you have to be careful of with AirAsia, is the weight of your bags. They won't hesitate to charge you more for excess weight.

That's why I was asking for alternative ways of getting the luggage there.

I'm sure we're going to end up paying way more for baggage than for the actual tickets. I've seen how much my wife packs just for her for a few days, let alone 2+ weeks plus all the gifts for friends and family.

Can send them by bus or by truck delivery company (not TNT, too expensive). Shipment of large box of computer items from Pantip Plaza to Phuket (door-to-door service) a few months ago was 200 baht for overnight delivery. Ask the staff at JediCool in PP which one they use.

Put the excess on a bus and pick it up at the bus station in NST.

Or...tell your wife to pack more sparingly.

Do the latter at your own risk. :)

Sending it on the bus is the cheapest and easiest option.

Send the wife on the bus as well. Also cheaper.

Is there a way to send by bus without leaving the airport? If not, can you do it from the transit center where you normally go to catch a bus into town?

Right now I'm leaning towards the post office, as we'll be there in the middle of the day on a Friday they should be open.

Regarding carry on luggage Air Asia staff made several in flight announcements re their policy of one item and a 7 kg limit. This was KL to OOL 11/3/10.

They stated it was going to be strictly enforced but most customers had 2 or more pieces of carry on luggage.

John

Regarding carry on luggage Air Asia staff made several in flight announcements re their policy of one item and a 7 kg limit. This was KL to OOL 11/3/10.

They stated it was going to be strictly enforced but most customers had 2 or more pieces of carry on luggage.

John

Probably trying to frighten people into putting more in their cases and then charging extra. :)

If they let you check in and don't say anything about your hand luggage its a bit difficult for them to not allow you on the plane at the gate :D

Air Asia relys on getting as much as they can from add-ons as their basic flight prices are so cheap...especially when you book well in advance

And make sure you book enough weight online first.

Flying from Taipei, I bought a 15kg limit, but had 20kg of stuff. The "change fee" was 200baht per kilo.

They told me if I hadn't booked anything online, it would have been cheaper, but as I'd already picked the weight, I had to pay a penalty.