Cost Of Buying Fish

minefield

It's a concern when you read about the over fishing, I always fish was reasonably cheap to buy at the local markets, whats going to happen to the prices when the locals cannot catch any fish?

I'll be there in Three weeks and looking forward to joining the Rawa Beach fishing club and catching fish, from what I have read-not looking good.

interested to here how it's affecting the prices at the fish markets

Edited by minefield

The price of fish has stayed pretty much the same (except when the fuel prices went up) over the past 5 years depending mostly on supply as some fish numbers are higher at certain times of the month and year, here is the general price: king mackeral when purchasing less than 10 kilo runs about 170+- baht kilo, I bought 27 kilo (3 fish) last week for my restaurant and got the price down without asking to 130Baht a kilo.

Red snapper 150 to 230 baht kilo depending how many kilo you buy and the size of the snapper, coral trout same as snapper more or less, spangled emporer 100 to 150 baht kilo.

prawns are a good buy but mostly farmed, sea run prawns are much tastier in my opinion you pay a bit more but worth it. extra large 300gram tiger prawns are about 800 to 1000 baht a kilo

farmed large 3-4" prawns about 150 to 200 depends as the price changes on supply available.

As for finding fish in the market at this stage there is nothing to worry about, the fishing grounds are plenty but the local grounds get hit hard as there is a very large fishing fleet here.

Look forward to welcoming you to the club.

We are planning big party on the 1st of May: there will be a BBQ, live Music, a great raffle with the 1st prize two nights in a villa suite on Cape Panwa, 2nd prize is a day out on Ocean Hunter the clubs 6.2 meter purpose built fishing boat, and lots of other good prizes.

Everyone is welcome

Edited by 69690jay

The price of fish has stayed pretty much the same (except when the fuel prices went up) over the past 5 years depending mostly on supply as some fish numbers are higher at certain times of the month and year, here is the general price: king mackeral when purchasing less than 10 kilo runs about 170+- baht kilo, I bought 27 kilo (3 fish) last week for my restaurant and got the price down without asking to 130Baht a kilo.

Red snapper 150 to 230 baht kilo depending how many kilo you buy and the size of the snapper, coral trout same as snapper more or less, spangled emporer 100 to 150 baht kilo.

prawns are a good buy but mostly farmed, sea run prawns are much tastier in my opinion you pay a bit more but worth it. extra large 300gram tiger prawns are about 800 to 1000 baht a kilo

farmed large 3-4" prawns about 150 to 200 depends as the price changes on supply available.

As for finding fish in the market at this stage there is nothing to worry about, the fishing grounds are plenty but the local grounds get hit hard as there is a very large fishing fleet here.

Look forward to welcoming you to the club.

We are planning big party on the 1st of May: there will be a BBQ, live Music, a great raffle with the 1st prize two nights in a villa suite on Cape Panwa, 2nd prize is a day out on Ocean Hunter the clubs 6.2 meter purpose built fishing boat, and lots of other good prizes.

Everyone is welcome

Thanks Jay,

I have been reading a lot of the posts and they all talk about over fishing, Back here in NZ with the over fishing and the cost of fuel snapper cost 700BHT per kilo not good i you love fish, But in saying that prices over there are not too bad

cheers Graham