Drowning On Chaweng Beach

There are two unofficial and unpaid farang lifeguards just north of the Centara Hotel who watch at least 10,000sqm of water. Unfortunately, they are only there from 3-6pm each day. They have a perfect record over six years and wish to remain anonymous -- might be fined for saving lives w/o a work permit. The limitation of any lifesaver kit is that the rescuer must be near the victim -- in other words, he must be sitting on the beach watching and ready to respond in seconds. The rescue squads and hotel staff have other duties to perform and are usually not aware of someone drowning. By the time they act it is usually a recovery not rescue mission. Many of the rescues I've seen have been of Thais who don't wave their arms and scream, but simply sink quietly. Two years ago I saw a woman and her child swept out with a rip tide and she simply cradled her daughter and sank to the bottom. They were both rescued because someone was on the beach watching.

do they have the red radios so they can braod cast to other people allong the beach. might looking into a permit for this as i aldready have a business. might have to link myself to a hotel on the beach though. that might be a problem as my business is no where near the beach

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only way to get life guards is if people volenteer but then u probably need a work permit. big hotels dhould have life guard staff. look after their guests maybe even other people aswell

Just for the record, some of the bigger hotels do have life guards on the ebach, Centara Chaweng is one of them.

true, a couple of yrs ago i saw a young boy being saved by the crenta staff and they were very quick to get in the water and pull the boy out while the parents who were in the water near the child the whole time simply stood still and looked on in shock. the sad thing is the parents did not even aknowledge the staff after they had rescued the child. the red flags are there for a reason. tourist should learn to read the books that explain red means stop.

:) Theirs' was the normal reaction from a rescued swimmer. More to do with embarassment and shock. After recovering they ALL slink away without a thank you. The Euro mother and her two kids we saved on a cold day could have shouted us a brandy as with the young Brit we saved from a rip could have bought us a beer !

Chaweng Beach:

Three dead 18th.

One 19th.

Dangerous undercurrents rights now.

Any confirmation for the other three?

No and there will be no confirmation because it will be covered up by the police and the Mayors office to make sure it doesnt damage Samui as a tourist island.

Thats all these people care about. Very sad and very simply local island people.

The Thai goverment should have brought all the land from these ' Samui Local ' people 15 - 20 years ago when Samui started to become a popular tourist place. If they had done that it would have taken away the power these 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxDELETED REMARK

If that had happened Samui would be a nice place today, instead of the mess it is now.

Edited by Rooo
Geleted quote.Rooo.

Chaweng Beach:

Three dead 18th.

One 19th.

No and there will be no confirmation because it will be covered up by the police and the Mayors office to make sure it doesnt damage Samui as a tourist island.

Thats all these people care about. Very sad and very simply local island people.

The Thai goverment should have brought all the land from these ' Samui Local ' people 15 - 20 years ago when Samui started to become a popular tourist place. If they had done that it would have taken away the power these ' Simply and uneducated islanders have '

If that had happened Samui would be a nice place today, instead of the mess it is now.

As stated in another topic, it is impossible to get crime and accident statistcs for Koh Samui. All swept under the carpet to keep the tourists coming. :)

Chaweng Beach:

Three dead 18th.

One 19th.

No, i heard only about one foreigner and one Thai/Non-Caucasian!

The warnings are by far NOT adequate enough to pint out the great danger!

The undercurrent", the part between waves, has a very, very strong draw,

even being only halfway submerged in the water and still the feet on the ground,

it's rather difficult, to get back to the beach!

This occurs almost all the way from "Sala Daeng" (le Paradise Resort) down to Chaweng Noi,

and always around this time of the year!

Be careful, very careful!

Lifeguards could be easely formed with the Jetski-Crews...

they are out there all the time anyway, but dont give a hoot, except their golden Moneymakers...

It wouldn't take much - in the mean time some "worry about erosion....of the coastline!

Does anyone remember the months long dredging going on in the sea just off Nathon, Ban Makham it is exactly there all the way down to Ban Bang Po/Ban Tai where it occurs the worst... it shouldn't cause it's on the leeward side of the island!

Edited by Samuian

4 dead in two days :D That is sad news.

I had no idea Chewang Beach was so dangerous. :D

Chaweng Beach is VERY DANGEROUS, especially around the full moon period because of the so called "hollow" sea/ocean and in the end of the afternoon when the dark sets in and the tide changes.

20 years ago I almost drowned myself when I was trying to save a young Thai boy of around 16/17; I managed to save him but couldn't swim to the beach again because of the extreme current, pulling me back -and under- all the time.

I was saved myself by another Thai young man from BKK, staying on Samui on his honeymoon trip.... :)

He formed a line of people and finally managed to hand me a buoy which was hanging in some small tree, without a rope attached to it, so he had to hand it instead of throwing it.

It was between 6/6.30PM and getting dark and I was totally exhausted (first day of the holiday, just arrived from Europe).

The laughing comment from a young waiter in the restaurant bar at Arabian Bungalows (not anymore) was:

"Oh......sea here kill kill kill.......many people.....yesterday..boom boom....2 guys die...swimming....Farang stupid...go swimming...." :D:D

BEWARE!

LaoPo

Chaweng Beach:

Three dead 18th.

One 19th.

The Thai goverment should have brought all the land from these ' Samui Local ' people 15 - 20 years ago when Samui started to become a popular tourist place. If they had done that it would have taken away the power these ' Simply and uneducated islanders have '

As stated in another topic, it is impossible to get crime and accident statistcs for Koh Samui. All swept under the carpet to keep the tourists coming. :)

yes that is quite interesting because crime and accidents that were reported to the papers were already really high. they must have got worse. probably why they stopped reporting them. also it would be nice to know how many people are registered to have HIV. it might help save tourists and make them bag up. i asked a doctor what are the HIV statistics on the island . she just laught and said the govement won't release the numbers. i herd a rumor off a samui person that 1000 bar girls are doesed up but that is only a rumer. all i can say is wear your wellies

• 11 months later...

this year again the same scenario

today - march 14th, - would nearly have been the day i died.

i was into the water at chaweng beach a bit west of centara, the water was going till my enkles, i was standing at the 2nd wave to jump over. one wave was so big, that i decided to go through instead of jump over. and suddenly i was in the open sea! i was so shocked that i tried to get back to the beach immediately, and was starting a 30 minutes fight. the waves were going over my head, i was drinking lots of water, my pulse was very high, i was panicking. i was trying to swim back to the beach, but the waves took me much more out to the open sea. i was fighting & fighting. suddenly i was finally getting nearer to the beach, noticing that the drag got less intensive than before. i made it to the beach on my own.

it was around noon. besides me, there were about 10 people in the water on the left and right side. i could see them. but i think they did not notice me. my mother was watching from the beach, she thought that i was playing with the waves, even if i put my arms in the height and crying for help already. i just stopped that because i was sipping so much more water than when i was just swimming or doing nothing to get back a bit of strength that i needed to get out.

i was really seeing passing my life while this fight.

i was renting sunbeds at an area near centara, and nobody warned me about dangereous undercurrents. i did not see any red flag and i did not see any warning signs. how should i have known about this? i would never ever have walked into the water if i had known that i could die!

if it is true, that there are dying so many people every year at chaweng, i really do not understand why they do not put on any warning signs!

i am really lucky that i am alive.

Edited by BarbaraShroombabWeaner

Its down to the individual to take responsibility, unfortunately most individuals do not realise the risk, because they don't have the experience or education in surf safety.

you can put signs up everywhere warning of the dangers and it might raise awareness to a few but when people are on holiday and look at what moreover is a claim inviting sea and other people enjoying the sea they'll join in.

If you have not been brought up in the water, living by a sea or ocean and experienced it you don't understand the danger, how to see it, avoid it or how to get out of it.

People talk about "life guards", the best way to kill yourself is trying to save someone who is drowning without proper equipment and training. A person who is in fear of drowning, in a panic will sure as hell push a person under to get their head above water through instinct. Proper boards are required as a minimum, in countries where lifeguards are prevalent on beaches a lifeguard will only go into the water to save someone without this device as a last resort.

Life guards need serious training and continuous development in order to do such a serious job. Which I doubt could be afforded or available in Thailand.

TAT should create awareness, maybe issue flyers at the arrival terminal, at least it's something. It might seem like a token but at least it's something when at the end of the day it is the responsibility of the individual.

I grew up by the ocean in Australia on a beach where there was tv ad campaigns, signs are everywhere, lifeguards prevalent and 99% of the people who drowned were tourists.

My condolences.

Life guards? , these hotels are generally not even interested in cleaning the beach in front of their properties!

Flame removed. Have you ever been to Chaweng Beach ? Every morning at 7am you will see resort staff all cleaning their section of the beach and the resorts in the Centara area all have lifesaving equipment on their beach out front !

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed

if i as an individual do not know about the risks, i cannot act "right". i have never ever been warned about undercurrents at any beach in my whole life, and i have been to 50+ beaches (mostly in europe). i thought a beach were the water usually goes to your enkles and is the most popular on the whole island with lots of people in the water would be save! so yes, if there are no life guards, i would expect to be warned about undercurrents - either by signs, flags or at least in the travel guides! it was mentioned NOWHERE!!!!

if i as an individual do not know about the risks, i cannot act "right". i have never ever been warned about undercurrents at any beach in my whole life, and i have been to 50+ beaches (mostly in europe). i thought a beach were the water usually goes to your enkles and is the most popular on the whole island with lots of people in the water would be save! so yes, if there are no life guards, i would expect to be warned about undercurrents - either by signs, flags or at least in the travel guides! it was mentioned NOWHERE!!!!

I'm sorry but it is people with your exact attitude that end up drowning. You have the mind set that somebody should warn you about the currents. WHY ?

Wherever there is a body of water there is the potential for you to drown it's as simple as that. It is for YOU to take precautions if there are no warning flags and assume there may be currents.

Your assumption that as there was no warning flags the water will be safe nearly cost you your life.

Learn from this and remember the only person responsible for your safety is YOU and nobody else !

Even when there are flags out warning against swimming you will still get people going into the water. people on holiday seem to think they are immortal and can do things they would never dream of back where they live.

I'm sorry but it is people with your exact attitude that end up drowning. You have the mind set that somebody should warn you about the currents. WHY ?

Wherever there is a body of water there is the potential for you to drown it's as simple as that. It is for YOU to take precautions if there are no warning flags and assume there may be currents.

Your assumption that as there was no warning flags the water will be safe nearly cost you your life.

Learn from this and remember the only person responsible for your safety is YOU and nobody else !

Even when there are flags out warning against swimming you will still get people going into the water. people on holiday seem to think they are immortal and can do things they would never dream of back where they live.

I never go swimming in the sea until I've spoken to someone locally regarding the safety angle.....and I keep asking until I get more of an answer than "Its OK".

Believe it or not people who swim there regularly will tell you the safer spots on any beach or how to get yourself out of trouble.

People die because they don't respect the water its as simple as that...its dangerous as the above poster has found out and thankfully lived to tell the tale.

I dont no why they dont employ some life guards on the beach. But the Thai way seems to be if it costs money then dont bother. If you think about it really the way most thai people look at life is a awful way to live. They look at life in a way that, money is more import than a life. If a crash happens they dont really care about the people involed they just care about how much it will cost them or how long it will take to fix there car / bike. If a Farang dies , then if the police know they can get away with it, they will just say its suicide no matter what really happened. They dont really care about other thai people and they care even less about Farangs. It is aboput time that travel books and goverments start to issue warning about what sort of place thailand is for farangs.

i agree with a tourist destination it is not good for holiday makers to go home dead. The problem is that there is allot of people that would happily volenteer to do life guarding but like most charity and things a free services in Thailand the money has to be donated.

I know there are loads of jet ski opperaters mmaybe they should make tumbon for all those people they have ripped off and donated some second hand jet skis.

I for one would do it if i had the money to buy a jet ski. U would need someone on the view point on a stand by with binoclars and radio. U would need the jet skis at different stand by points on the each beach. with radios maybe some fund raising organsires might be up for the challenge. As for training it would be good if the jet ski people had training but the main job at the moment would be to get people back to the beach with an ambulance standing by. I don't think u could give cpr at the seen in the sea anyway.

The Jet skis would need flshing lights and sirens obvlously would have to turn the noise off when they got the the location to hear for shouting. also spot lights and bnoclars and life jackets.

Even 1 jet ski would be enough for starters there are plently of people that can volenteer for the rest of the work.

Then build up and up.

Centara does have signs up warning about rip currents, furthermore I frequently post about RIP currents on my Samui info blog. The info and warnings are out there.

the problem is: i was only reading about undercurrents AFTER i have been in one. i have never ever heard of that before in my whole life. - of course - if you google chaweng and undercurrents or drowning koh samui you will find results and can read how it happened. thats why i wanna warn people about it with just saying: currently the undercurrents at chaweng are strong again - be careful!

if i had known about this phenomena i would have respected it - i would not have put one foot or toe into the water.

und p.s. yesterday i did not see any warning sign near centara. i promise.

and @ limbos: your blog is a good start! please keep the postings about undercurrents repeating every year! i did not know your blog before, but will visit is before my next holidayss

ok thx for letting me (nearly) die . you would definitely watch me struggeling to my death, because it is "my own fault" to go into a water i did not know, even if it is the most famous beach of a really huge and really touristic island. i just can repeat myself: there were no flags, no signs, the weather was ok, there were no big waves, wind was at level 1 yesterday. - i am not a complete idiot that goes swimming with wind 3-4, high waves and stuff like that.. i respect the nature and the water/sea. and all i will do in the future will be: warn people to be aware! and myself i have learned my lesson now. but to be honest: i will never ever come back to chaweng in my whole life.

the problem is: i was only reading about undercurrents AFTER i have been in one. i have never ever heard of that before in my whole life. - of course - if you google chaweng and undercurrents or drowning koh samui you will find results and can read how it happened. thats why i wanna warn people about it with just saying: currently the undercurrents at chaweng are strong again - be careful!

if i had known about this phenomena i would have respected it - i would not have put one foot or toe into the water.

und p.s. yesterday i did not see any warning sign near centara. i promise.

and @ limbos: your blog is a good start! please keep the postings about undercurrents repeating every year! i did not know your blog before, but will visit is before my next holidayss

Hi BarbaraShroombabWeaner, glad I could be of help and hope you drop by plenty times! Enjoy the rest of your stay on Samui and hope to see you back!

I have been on Chaweng Beach nearly every day for the past six years and have seen hundreds of near drownings. It is usually up to one or two farangs who go out and get the people. It must be a horrible sight to be drowning only fifty meters off shore while people are just watching and pointing. A couple of years ago ropes and floats were put out along the perimeter (around 10,000 sqm), but they were most likely stolen or damaged. I've noticed that a few hotels have posted red flags and have security guards standing by with a vest and rope. I suggest that if you go to the beach this time of year, one person take a life preserver so at least you can save a friend or loved one. It would be wonderful if the city would put a rescue buoy with rope every 100m along the beachfront, but I won't hold my breath for that one.

:) The hotel's ropes and floats are meant to keep jetskis out but when big surf arrives, they can tangle your legs or strangle you when they break free ! The standard rescue ring is useless ! You need two arms to swim to the person and this is where the Aussie Surf Lifesaving belt with tow strap and 100 m. of line is the best kit. We import them and have sold them to several resorts on Chaweng. We saved a family the first week we installed ours and regularly lend it out when needed, as it is very portable.

This is mandatory kit for EVERY beach in Australia.

What do they cost Crusty ?

ok thx for letting me (nearly) die . you would definitely watch me struggeling to my death, because it is "my own fault" to go into a water i did not know, even if it is the most famous beach of a really huge and really touristic island. i just can repeat myself: there were no flags, no signs, the weather was ok, there were no big waves, wind was at level 1 yesterday. - i am not a complete idiot that goes swimming with wind 3-4, high waves and stuff like that.. i respect the nature and the water/sea. and all i will do in the future will be: warn people to be aware! and myself i have learned my lesson now. but to be honest: i will never ever come back to chaweng in my whole life.

Just how is you nearly drowning anything to do with me ?

Again you are trying to pass on the blame for your unfortunate event on other people. As someone who trains people in in water rescue I would not let anybody drown but I still say that it was solely your fault for simply assuming all was well.

Also there are warning signs and flags on the beach. You simply didn't look.

As said any body of water has the potential to kill. Most people drown in less than 18 inches of water

There are signs on the beach and red flags, but there should be beach guards during that period of the year as well.

However conditions are not unique to Chaweng only, but everywhere in the world there can be dangerous conditions. I live next to the sea on Samui since 20+ years and go swimming regularly. Most dangerous situation I have been was at North Crete in Greece.

There are signs on the beach and red flags, but there should be beach guards during that period of the year as well.

However conditions are not unique to Chaweng only, but everywhere in the world there can be dangerous conditions. I live next to the sea on Samui since 20+ years and go swimming regularly. Most dangerous situation I have been was at North Crete in Greece.

is any of you near chaweng beach and can look it up if there are any warning signs today?

i walked down the whole lame removed beach on tuesday (before i went "swimming") , from down south until up north after banana fan sea. at banana fan sea, when i passed it a second time in the evening, i saw a warning sign that it is generally dangerous to swim alone and you should never do that. it was directly placed in front of the hotel way to the beach - as a passers by i would not see that one. if the signs at centara are also placed directly on the residency areal and not on the beach - i had no chance to see that one, actually, because i dont walk into foreign "residencies"! i looked through the pictures i mad - no red flag on any single picture and it reaches down the whole beach.

actually - i could also keep quiet, because for me i have already decided that i will never return to chaweng - but for other tourists i want to keep on my research.

:whistling: It seems to me you weren't in line when God was handing out common sense ! Surely with a stiff onshore breeze blowing 2 m. breaking waves and spume along the beach, your antennae were up. Why do you need signs. Do you also scale remote steep cliffs or go shopping with a typhoon outside ? A seasnake or a shark is now waiting for you !

Edited by crusty

I have been on Chaweng Beach nearly every day for the past six years and have seen hundreds of near drownings. It is usually up to one or two farangs who go out and get the people. It must be a horrible sight to be drowning only fifty meters off shore while people are just watching and pointing. A couple of years ago ropes and floats were put out along the perimeter (around 10,000 sqm), but they were most likely stolen or damaged. I've noticed that a few hotels have posted red flags and have security guards standing by with a vest and rope. I suggest that if you go to the beach this time of year, one person take a life preserver so at least you can save a friend or loved one. It would be wonderful if the city would put a rescue buoy with rope every 100m along the beachfront, but I won't hold my breath for that one.

:) The hotel's ropes and floats are meant to keep jetskis out but when big surf arrives, they can tangle your legs or strangle you when they break free ! The standard rescue ring is useless ! You need two arms to swim to the person and this is where the Aussie Surf Lifesaving belt with tow strap and 100 m. of line is the best kit. We import them and have sold them to several resorts on Chaweng. We saved a family the first week we installed ours and regularly lend it out when needed, as it is very portable.

This is mandatory kit for EVERY beach in Australia.

What do they cost Crusty ?

Have a couple from last year's order, Baht 4000 each, landed Samui

Edited by crusty

i am sorry but i agree with H2o, Rememeber why people first come to thailand. many years ago. The thing that made thailand great is the freedome. the deserted beaches. The no body breathing over your shoulder nannying u about right and wrong. Thailand used to be a test for people to use their own loaf and make it back in one peice.

Even though those images of back packers have changed. the structure is still there. Allot of us come from the west where everything is organized and people do not have to think for themselves. here people have to use their own loaf to get arround to work out health and safty issues by them selves.

Rememeber Thailand is a luxury that people can either afford or cannot but it is not a right. We cannot demand this and that we can aprricate it but we cannot demand it.

Yes it would be nice to have flags and life guards but u have to rememeber where we are.

this is still the other side of the world which means that people have to be responable for themselves. This is why unortualty in the west we need a nanny govment or everyone would drive drunk people would be drowning whils t out of their nuts and people would be non stop complaining.

i am sorry but what H2o said is right. people that really on other people to save them are the sorte of people that don't get save due to ingorance.

Just on another not does anyone have and solid information about what happened so far all i have herd is. " someone told me this " or " i herd that "

and conrete facts about exactly what happened.

i have seen posts like this before

like 10 forangs dead in electric shock in the floods when for real the there was 2 forangs and they did not die but their dog did.

i am sorry but i agree with H2o, Rememeber why people first come to thailand. many years ago. The thing that made thailand great is the freedome. the deserted beaches. The no body breathing over your shoulder nannying u about right and wrong. Thailand used to be a test for people to use their own loaf and make it back in one peice.

Even though those images of back packers have changed. the structure is still there. Allot of us come from the west where everything is organized and people do not have to think for themselves. here people have to use their own loaf to get arround to work out health and safty issues by them selves.

Rememeber Thailand is a luxury that people can either afford or cannot but it is not a right. We cannot demand this and that we can aprricate it but we cannot demand it.

Yes it would be nice to have flags and life guards but u have to rememeber where we are.

this is still the other side of the world which means that people have to be responable for themselves. This is why unortualty in the west we need a nanny govment or everyone would drive drunk people would be drowning whils t out of their nuts and people would be non stop complaining.

i am sorry but what H2o said is right. people that really on other people to save them are the sorte of people that don't get save due to ingorance.

Just on another not does anyone have and solid information about what happened so far all i have herd is. " someone told me this " or " i herd that "

and conrete facts about exactly what happened.

i have seen posts like this before

like 10 forangs dead in electric shock in the floods when for real the there was 2 forangs and they did not die but their dog did.

you still see a travel spirit at chaweng beach? !? i wish i would see that ;) - have not seen that last year, and not this year.

and i did not come to thailand for a survival training like the people on "the beach".

but i admit it: i am not a traveller. i am a tourist, arranging myself individual tripps to destinations that are already "known", but no pauschal tourist. i dont go to areas where no infrastructure is available, because i know i would not survive on my own in the jungle (or on "the beach"). that doesnt mean that i cannot think, make decisions, and think that governments generally do the right thing, appreciate all laws, and stuff like that. i come from a country where we have a lot of (well, 35 per cent from the last elections) right-wing people remembering me of the nazis in germany back in 1938. i dont feel comfortable among them anymore. on the street, every third person is a xxxxxxxx right-wing guy. i fight them anyways, saying in public what i think, going to demos, etc. so what do i want to say? i definitely dont follow the mass - when people jumping into the water, i don't jump with them - this is not my attitude. but still, i am not a traveller. i was reading about the time where thailand was still "free", but i never experienced it myself . i think that that has gone completely. it is a mass tourism destination (at least koh samui) with maybe **some** secret, hidden spots, and yes, you are right: the classical pauschal tourist does not think about things like waves, etc. - but just because he is maybe "stupid", and has left his brain at home (or never had a big one)- is that a reason to let him die in the waves? well, if i think like that - it might be true, that its "his own fault". i often thought myself that the drunk idiots in their cars should die to get off the streets- but the problem is - when somebody innocent also dies, this is not a nice thought. the same with the sea . a sign would save some lifes - people that read them and think about them would react right - and it has nothing to do with "regulations" or making chaweng a complete regulated beach like they are in europe.

anyways, i am stopping this dicsussion right now, because i know understand the way you think now.

just think of me, when you're yourself once experiencing similar troubles in your life.

ps: just one more thing: i just saw that most of the people answering to my thread are diving experts. so you deal with the water everday. what exactly would you recommend your customers/divers to do, before they go into the water in thailand? what would you recommend the travellers - and - tourists on chaweng beach to do, before they go in the water there?

if you are experts, telling me, that i am stupid, when i orient myself by the height of the waves and the wind - please let me know other criterias that i have to keep in mind that i can see from the beach - as far as i know you cannot see undercurrents from the beach, just never ever putting a toe into any water cannot be a solution. just putting me like a stupid guy (or girl), that has not experience with the sea, is not very helpful.

Edited by Rooo
Profanity removed.

you still see a travel spirit at chaweng beach? !? i wish i would see that ;) - have not seen that last year, and not this year.

and i did not come to thailand for a survival training like the people on "the beach".

but i admit it: i am not a traveller. i am a tourist, arranging myself individual tripps to destinations that are already "known", but no pauschal tourist. i dont go to areas where no infrastructure is available, because i know i would not survive on my own in the jungle (or on "the beach"). that doesnt mean that i cannot think, make decisions, and think that governments generally do the right thing, appreciate all laws, and stuff like that. i come from a country where we have a lot of (well, 35 per cent from the last elections) right-wing people remembering me of the nazis in germany back in 1938. i dont feel comfortable among them anymore. on the street, every third person is a xxxxx right-wing guy. i fight them anyways, saying in public what i think, going to demos, etc. so what do i want to say? i definitely dont follow the mass - when people jumping into the water, i don't jump with them - this is not my attitude. but still, i am not a traveller. i was reading about the time where thailand was still "free", but i never experienced it myself . i think that that has gone completely. it is a mass tourism destination (at least koh samui) with maybe **some** secret, hidden spots, and yes, you are right: the classical pauschal tourist does not think about things like waves, etc. - but just because he is maybe "stupid", and has left his brain at home (or never had a big one)- is that a reason to let him die in the waves? well, if i think like that - it might be true, that its "his own fault". i often thought myself that the drunk idiots in their cars should die to get off the streets- but the problem is - when somebody innocent also dies, this is not a nice thought. the same with the sea . a sign would save some lifes - people that read them and think about them would react right - and it has nothing to do with "regulations" or making chaweng a complete regulated beach like they are in europe.

anyways, i am stopping this dicsussion right now, because i know understand the way you think now.

just think of me, when you're yourself once experiencing similar troubles in your life.

ps: just one more thing: i just saw that most of the people answering to my thread are diving experts. so you deal with the water everday. what exactly would you recommend your customers/divers to do, before they go into the water in thailand? what would you recommend the travellers - and - tourists on chaweng beach to do, before they go in the water there?

if you are experts, telling me, that i am stupid, when i orient myself by the height of the waves and the wind - please let me know other criterias that i have to keep in mind that i can see from the beach - as far as i know you cannot see undercurrents from the beach, just never ever putting a toe into any water cannot be a solution. just putting me like a stupid guy (or girl), that has not experience with the sea, is not very helpful.

:wacko::redcard2:

Edited by Rooo
Profanity removed from quote.