Gps Car Navigation For Thailand

Great to see that there is navigation software covering Thailand. No TOMTOM yet :o

Currently I am using Gem on a PC at home and Pocketgem while driving. Gem downloads Mapquest maps from the internet. Pocketgem is the same deal: you load maps from the internet with Gem on your PC, send it to a pocketpc and pocketgem shows you your current location with a GPS unit.

No routing, no directions, no voice, just plain Jane location only. The mapquest maps are only street level for the Bangkok area. The regional maps show only the main highways. But I found that quite nifty already. The coverage of the maps is worldwide, with more or less detail.

Gem is free, yet driving with a laptop next to you is not a solution and dangerous. I navigate with a Ipaq attached with a cradle to the windshield and a serial GPS unit plugged in the cigarette lighter. This setup lets you keep an eye on traffic.

Pocketgem asks for a license fee of $20, but it is worth it after being lost just once :D .

ScreenRegion.png

Get the goodies from here

• 2 weeks later...

Trond, how are the details outside of Bkk? How well does the guided mode operate on the expressways (remembering an occasion of going around in circles for 3 hours), and in downtown streets?  Turn warnings accurate?

Sorry, didn't see your posting until today. The unit works great on expressways, the only problem is with the elevated expressways, where if you are under, the signal might be lost, and if you are on the elevated expressway, the unit may still think you are driving on the road below. Can occasionally get confusing with exits, although not a major minus.

Downtown, the signal occasionally gets lost if you are driving in a built-up area, or under the skytrain. I have a sunscreen filter on my car windown (70%, I think), and my receiver is on the inside of the windscreen, and as a result, the signals are not as strong as they could be.

Every time I drive in the countryside, it impresses me how accurate the map really is. Even the tiniest road (and I mean dirt roads!) are usually listed.

One minor irritant - if you start up the unit without clear vierw of the sky (say in a covered parking area or garage, the unit will give up looking for sattelites after a while, and guess your position (probably based on last position), and subsequently attempt to place you on the map. Remember driving out of Hua Hin (started in an undergroaud garage) on Sunday afternoon, and suddenly noticed that my screen was completely blue. Turns out the GPS thought I was heading towards Pattaya, and that I was several km out at sea! :D

When this happens, it is just a few clicks on the remote to reset the unit and start locating sattelites again.

Turn warnings are very accurate, down to the nearest 10 m. The unit will show time and distance to next turn, and will inform you well before you get to the turn.

I am very happy I paid the extra bht to get this unit. I find it saves me a lots of time when driving in/to unfamiliar areas (I never get lost anymore!), and if stuck in a traffic jam or red light, I often use the unit to familiarize myself with the area I am in (look for shops, temples, ATMs, restaurants, bars, etc).

I would dread driving a car in Bangkok (or anywhere else, for that matter) without it! I remember getting lost a few times, and I did not like it at all! :o

Trond

Trond, how are the details outside of Bkk? How well does the guided mode operate on the expressways (remembering an occasion of going around in circles for 3 hours), and in downtown streets?  Turn warnings accurate?

Sorry, didn't see your posting until today. The unit works great on expressways, the only problem is with the elevated expressways, where if you are under, the signal might be lost, and if you are on the elevated expressway, the unit may still think you are driving on the road below. Can occasionally get confusing with exits, although not a major minus.

Downtown, the signal occasionally gets lost if you are driving in a built-up area, or under the skytrain. I have a sunscreen filter on my car windown (70%, I think), and my receiver is on the inside of the windscreen, and as a result, the signals are not as strong as they could be.

Every time I drive in the countryside, it impresses me how accurate the map really is. Even the tiniest road (and I mean dirt roads!) are usually listed.

One minor irritant - if you start up the unit without clear vierw of the sky (say in a covered parking area or garage, the unit will give up looking for sattelites after a while, and guess your position (probably based on last position), and subsequently attempt to place you on the map. Remember driving out of Hua Hin (started in an undergroaud garage) on Sunday afternoon, and suddenly noticed that my screen was completely blue. Turns out the GPS thought I was heading towards Pattaya, and that I was several km out at sea! :D

When this happens, it is just a few clicks on the remote to reset the unit and start locating sattelites again.

Turn warnings are very accurate, down to the nearest 10 m. The unit will show time and distance to next turn, and will inform you well before you get to the turn.

I am very happy I paid the extra bht to get this unit. I find it saves me a lots of time when driving in/to unfamiliar areas (I never get lost anymore!), and if stuck in a traffic jam or red light, I often use the unit to familiarize myself with the area I am in (look for shops, temples, ATMs, restaurants, bars, etc).

I would dread driving a car in Bangkok (or anywhere else, for that matter) without it! I remember getting lost a few times, and I did not like it at all! :o

Trond

Trond.....I liked your full report. Which model are you using? I tried the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 on my MB but it would not read through with windscreen....even though my car only has factory glass....no after market sun screen. I really don't want to install a roof aerial.

Trond.....I liked your full report. Which model are you using? I tried the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 on my MB but it would not read through with windscreen....even though my car only has factory glass....no after market sun screen. I really don't want to install a roof aerial.

I believe it is a Street Pilot 2610 (see link given previously), version 2.11. There is a piece of software loaded called ACRDATA Thailand Turn-By-Turn Map Version 2.2. The sensor is located at the bottom of the front windscreen, pointing up. Before buying the car, I used to rent cars when needed, and used a handheld Garmin Etrex, which worked fine as long as I left it in the front of the car.

Make sure the receiver has a clear view of the sky, the more the better - but I am probably stating the bloody obvious here :o

If you only have clear factory glass in your car, I can see no reason why the unit should not work, provided the receiver is installed correctly, etc, etc....

Trond

Great to see that there is navigation software covering Thailand. No TOMTOM yet  :o

Currently I am using Gem on a PC at home and Pocketgem while driving. Gem downloads Mapquest maps from the internet. Pocketgem is the same deal: you load maps from the internet with Gem on your PC, send it to a pocketpc and pocketgem shows you your current location with a GPS unit.

No routing, no directions, no voice, just plain Jane location only. The mapquest maps are only street level for the Bangkok area. The regional maps show only the main highways. But I found that quite nifty already. The coverage of the maps is worldwide, with more or less detail.

Gem is free, yet driving with a laptop next to you is not a solution and dangerous. I navigate with a Ipaq attached with a cradle to the windshield and a serial GPS unit plugged in the cigarette lighter. This setup lets you keep an eye on traffic.

Pocketgem asks for a license fee of $20, but it is worth it after being lost just once  :D .

ScreenRegion.png

Get the goodies from here

That would be an interesting option if the maps were better - but for Thailand they are really bad at this time (if they the same as on web site).

Would be interested to see the rural area display of the high end systems if anyone could provide a screen shot. I still have pretty good sense of direction and have never been lost yet (except that darn Komtar shopping center in Penang) but would consider high end if down to dirt road type display.

I believe it is a Street Pilot 2610 (see link given previously), version 2.11. There is a piece of software loaded called ACRDATA Thailand Turn-By-Turn Map Version 2.2. The sensor is located at the bottom of the front windscreen, pointing up. Before buying the car, I used to rent cars when needed, and used a handheld Garmin Etrex, which worked fine as long as I left it in the front of the car.

Make sure the receiver has a clear view of the sky, the more the better - but I am probably stating the bloody obvious here :o

If you only have clear factory glass in your car, I can see no reason why the unit should not work, provided the receiver is installed correctly, etc, etc....

Trond

Trond,

The Garmin dealer came to my home and we positioned the 2610 on the dash right close to the glass. It never picked up a signal. When we held it out of the open window it immediately picked up a strong signal...when we returned it to the dash the signal went away. My car is a S series Mercedes with just the factory installed window (no additional tinting). I would reallylike to use the 2610 in my car but I don't like the idea of an external receptior stuck on the roof.

Before buying the car, I used to rent cars when needed, and used a handheld Garmin Etrex, which worked fine as long as I left it in the front of the car.

I'm taking delivery of a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel in a few months(we live in Bangkok) and have an Etrex , laptop, and Xda Min II Smartphone/PPC . The etrex works well (in taxis anyway) and I wanted to hook things up - lighter to Etrex, Etrex via serial cable to laptop or PPC. What was your setup for this?

I talked to ESRI today at the suggestion of Garmin sales support for Asia. Turns out that they are working on detailed maps for Mapsource software, covering Thailand and they say they'll be done testing it in 2 months.

Here's what I would love to do:

Use my Etrex to supply positioning /velocity data, sending it via serial/USB to my PPC(XDA mini II) and have software on the xda to navigate - to "tell me" (visually and in voice) where to go, when to turn, etc.

Does such software exist for the Windows CE or Windows XP platforms?

Thanks

:o

I would reallylike to use the 2610 in my car but I don't like the idea of an external receptior stuck on the roof

corkscrew, these things are quite small. Mine is round and flat, about 2 inches across, and about 1/2 an inch high. It's magnetic, so no holes, and they did a good job hiding the wiring.

Is the map software available separately? I have a Garmin GPSmap 76 CS. It uses the same map data as 2610. I wouldn't really want to buy another unit, just to get the Thai map.

Interesting info on elevated highways. Didn't think about it, but the GPS sure would get confused. :o

I would reallylike to use the 2610 in my car but I don't like the idea of an external receptior stuck on the roof

corkscrew, these things are quite small. Mine is round and flat, about 2 inches across, and about 1/2 an inch high. It's magnetic, so no holes, and they did a good job hiding the wiring.

I am going to buy a SLK for my wife...do you think I'll have the same problem?....as it has a folding top?

Is the map software available separately? I have a Garmin GPSmap 76 CS. It uses the same map data as 2610. I wouldn't really want to buy another unit, just to get the Thai map.

Interesting info on elevated highways. Didn't think about it, but the GPS sure would get confused. :o

That was my nick-name in middle school, but I though it was spelled with a "C". As for the mapping software for Thailand and Garmin - I was told by Garmin Asia to contact a Bangkok company ESRI about the mapping data for Thailand. Garmin has a product(actually a group of products) called MapSource that is available for the US, Europe, Australia, etc. but the detailed map data is not available for Thailand/Asia and other places. For all of these places they have a product called WorldMap which is not very detailed.

I am not familiar with your product, GPSmap 76 CS. I have an eTrex handheld and want to hook it up to my laptop to do realtracking in Thailand in my car and asked ESRI

ESRI homepage

about a mapping software product with detailed Thai data. The salesperson I talked to told me that they are currently in the final stages of testing a Mapsource software product for Thailand and it should be ready for release in about 2 months.

Hope that puts you on the right track. I'm probably going to give it a shot when it comes out in August(you never know - software releases are often late.

Good Luck. Check out Garmins site - you can get alot of info on their Mapsource products and there is a Mapsource brochure in pdf format that you can download.

Before buying the car, I used to rent cars when needed, and used a handheld Garmin Etrex, which worked fine as long as I left it in the front of the car.

I'm taking delivery of a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Diesel in a few months(we live in Bangkok) and have an Etrex , laptop, and Xda Min II Smartphone/PPC . The etrex works well (in taxis anyway) and I wanted to hook things up - lighter to Etrex, Etrex via serial cable to laptop or PPC. What was your setup for this?

I talked to ESRI today at the suggestion of Garmin sales support for Asia. Turns out that they are working on detailed maps for Mapsource software, covering Thailand and they say they'll be done testing it in 2 months.

Here's what I would love to do:

Use my Etrex to supply positioning /velocity data, sending it via serial/USB to my PPC(XDA mini II) and have software on the xda to navigate - to "tell me" (visually and in voice) where to go, when to turn, etc.

Does such software exist for the Windows CE or Windows XP platforms?

Thanks

Well, my experience when it comes to using the eTrex was simply to use it as a stand-alone device. Used a S#@tload of batteries, but at least it was better than nothing.

Trond

Would be interested to see the rural area display of the high end systems if anyone could provide a screen shot.  I still have pretty good sense of direction and have never been lost yet (except that darn Komtar shopping center in Penang) but would consider high end if down to dirt road type display.

Let me know the area you want (or coordinates), and I will try to take a screen shot and post it here.

Trond

[

Well, my experience when it comes to using the eTrex was simply to use it as a stand-alone device.  Used a S#@tload of batteries, but at least it was better than nothing.

Trond

There is a cigarette lighter power supply(should solve the battery problem) combo serial data cable for the eTrex - I'm going tomorrow to see if I can pick it up.

Poking around on their website, I found the Garming gps18(WAAS capable) - a bluetooth gps receiver that would work great with a pda/laptop bluetooth receiver, with the right mapping software. :o

Edited by phormio

I am going to buy a SLK for my wife...do you think I'll have the same problem?....as it has a folding top?

You mean the car is a convertable? As it's a magnetic mount. you could maybe mount in on the trunk lid? Or even on the bonnet, just in front of, or directly over, the AC intake vents? The thing is, it's best to mount the antenna in a spot with nothing blocking any satelite signal from any side. 180 degree overhead visibilty is ideal... And it should sit as flat as possible to insure max reception.

Would be interested to see the rural area display of the high end systems if anyone could provide a screen shot.  I still have pretty good sense of direction and have never been lost yet (except that darn Komtar shopping center in Penang) but would consider high end if down to dirt road type display.

Let me know the area you want (or coordinates), and I will try to take a screen shot and post it here.

Trond

Trond, if I could see a screen shot of the north, specifically in/around Chiang Mai, it would be greatly appreciated.. :o

That was my nick-name in middle school, but I though it was spelled with a "C". As for the mapping software for Thailand and Garmin - I was told by Garmin Asia to contact a Bangkok company ESRI about the mapping data for Thailand. Garmin has a product(actually a group of products) called MapSource that is available for the US, Europe, Australia, etc. but the detailed map data is not available for Thailand/Asia and other places. For all of these places they have a product called WorldMap which is not very detailed.

I am not familiar with your product, GPSmap 76 CS. I have an eTrex handheld and want to hook it up to my laptop to do realtracking in Thailand in my car and asked ESRI

ESRI homepage

about a mapping software product with detailed Thai data. The salesperson I talked to told me that they are currently in the final stages of testing a Mapsource software product for Thailand and it should be ready for release in about 2 months.

Hope that puts you on the right track. I'm probably going to give it a shot when it comes out in August(you never know - software releases are often late.

Good Luck. Check out Garmins site - you can get alot of info on their Mapsource products and there is a Mapsource brochure in pdf format that you can download.

That's really cool, phormio. A brother in arms... despite the "C" spelling :D ( please don't ask how I got it and why it's with "K" ) .. and you are class of 19??

76 CS is a great unit. I can use it on the boat for off shore diving, in the car for shore diving, and it's a handheld too... great for those geo cache treks...

Thanks for the link to the ESRI site, I'll check them out. I can wait a few months, no probs. My main objective is to be able to navigate myself out of BKK.

Bought this Bangkok map from Thinknet thinking I could somehow interface it with the GPS, but no such luck. It's still the best map of Bangkok I've seen though, and it will give you proper GPS coordinates, so you can always navigate to Cheap Charlies on soi 11 no matter where you are... Very detailed, and having a zoomable softcopy on your PC make locating things easy.

Couple of things that might be of interest to some people here looking at Mobile GPS solutions in Bangkok/Thailand:

Partial System Solutions

----------------------------

A. 16,000 Baht Solution

If you have a bluetooth capable pocket PC pda(I have an O2, XDA mini II)

then there is a mobile GPS solution that costs about 16,000 baht.

This is the GPS-10 which is a 12 channel GPS receiver that puts out the data on

bluetooth. The price includes the Mapsource Map for pocket PCs for

Thailand(you can buy this PPC Mapsource Thailand Map for about 10,500 baht

by itself)

B. Price probably around 13,000 baht. Could be less.

If you have a gps receiver such as the Etrex, which is what I have, and a

laptop running Windows, ESRI is creating a laptop version of their Thai

Mapsource Product which should be ready in late July or August. With a combi-

nation serial cable/cigarette lighter power cord, you can hook your eTrex up

to your laptop in your car and away you go. The cord costs about 2400 baht

(I saw it at ESRI today) and the Mapsource Map of Thailand for the laptop will

probably be around 10,500 baht( my guess) .

I found out about another company, MapPointAsia(website of the same name)

that has a GPS capable map product , SmartMap Professional version. I'm going

to have a look at this later this week. Maybe its not too pricey, or the

competition with ESRI/Garmin will bring prices down.

Anybody use/know of MapPointAsia for Thailand?

C. 2,600 baht solution

IT MAY BE POSSIBLE to pick up the GPS capable map software for around

200 baht from Pantip, etc. I haven't looked yet. But with a handheld eTrex

already, just buy a data/power cable(2400 baht from ESRI) with the bootleg

GPS map software, and with a laptop you're good to go for about 2500 baht.

Complete System Solutions

--------------------------------

40,000 baht or thereabouts

Garmin 2610, etc., etc. - I didn't really look into these but your talking around

40,000 Baht. If you got the hardware(laptop, handheld receiver, or PDA) then

use it to save you some bucks.

Maybe other cheaper solutions... ?

Any suggestions?

Bought this Bangkok map from Thinknet thinking I could somehow interface it with the GPS, but no such luck. It's still the best map of Bangkok I've seen though, and it will give you proper GPS coordinates, so you can always navigate to Cheap Charlies on soi 11 no matter where you are... Very detailed, and having a zoomable softcopy on your PC make locating things easy.

I've got the Thinknet map too - its slow but quite good.

Have you heard of MapPointAsia's SmartMap Professional ?

MapPointAsia's Smartmap page

This one might be pricey, but with ESRI coming out with a laptop based GPS mapping solution in a few months, prices might not be too bad. Of course, SmartMap might already be available at a steep discount at PanTip.

I'm going to visit MapPointAsia later this week to check it out.

Some good links there. I will be interested in your findings.

The qustion is how safe is navigating the city with the laptop in your car. A handheld GPS can always be mounted in your field of vision, but even the smaller laptops can't be securely mounted. Perhaps one of those pricey tiny Sony VAIO's would do the job... one of those with the Bluetooth GPS receiver would be perfect.

This morning's BKK Post has a review of the MIO 136 Mobile Navigation System. It was written by the same fellow who reviewed the Garmin a while back. Anyway, he says the MIO is inaccurate and has less detailed maps. Its only plus is that it can speak in THAI and English. See page 5 of the Database section of the Post for more details.

Some good links there. I will be interested in your findings.

The qustion is how safe is navigating the city with the laptop in your car. A handheld GPS can always be mounted in your field of vision, but even the smaller laptops can't be securely mounted. Perhaps one of those pricey tiny Sony VAIO's would do the job... one of those with the Bluetooth GPS receiver would be perfect.

I was thinking that you have your destination already set before you start moving in your vehicle and then rely on the voice prompts to give you the heads up on where to turn, so you would not have to look at the laptop very often. Perhaps this scenario is overly optimistic and looking at the map is a necessity. That makes it a problem with a laptop, PPC, or portable mounted complete GPS system , though looking at a laptop on a seat nearby will take longer and be more distracting. For many cars, it wouldn't be too difficult to put a mounting bracket in your car so that you can slide your laptop in and plug into the cigarette lighter, and be able to view the screen.

By the way, you can buy a USB / Bluetooth port to make your computer(laptop or other) bluetoothable for 1500 baht(mayber cheaper)

This morning I looked at the Garmin iQue.....it's about the size of a Palm Pilot and it uses the same map as the Garmin Street Pilot. It speaks English. Unfortunately. it too can not read through Mercedes windscreens. But, the extension receptor is very small and the connecting wire is very thin.

You mean the car is a convertable? As it's a magnetic mount. you could maybe mount in on the trunk lid? Or even on the bonnet, just in front of, or directly over, the AC intake vents? The thing is, it's best to mount the antenna in a spot with nothing blocking any satelite signal from any side. 180 degree overhead visibilty is ideal... And it should sit as flat as possible to insure max reception.

Yesterday I drove out past the new (but yet unopened) airport to the ABAC campus (Assumption) and most of my road trip was under the Motorway...any GPS would have a hard time reading the necessary turns as the sub road and the Motorway have vastly different exits. This is true with many roads that are just meters away from expressways. I am not sure how sophisticated and updated are the Thai GPS maps.

I am probably making too much of this....

A 9000 baht solution, but untried:

I went to Pantip Plaza today and saw the Garmin G10 - a bluetooth 12 channel GPS receiver that costs about 8000 baht(2nd floor, Platinum shop); they have other Garmin systems there too. You can pick up a similar no-brand system in the US for a little over $100. The important thing though is that I found a GPS navigation/map software package on the 5th floor at IT CITY at the PDA Shop; they have the CDs which cost 890 baht, its the PPC(Pocket PC) version, its called MapSource but is apparently put out by MapPointAsia. So if you have a PPC with bluetooth, buy the Bluetooth GPS receiver and the MapSource GPS package (this is original, not a copy) then you have a system for about 9000 baht that will work in your car.

Anyone out there know where you can pick up a 12 channel GPS receiver with bluetooth in Thailand for 5000 baht or so ?

I haven't tried out this solution yet, I might still see if I can figure out a way to take my handheld eTrex GPS receiver, with serial cable output - somehow find a converter or converter cables to hardwire it into my XDA Mini II PPC (which uses a thing called a mini-USB interface). Don't know if I can do this, maybe I should post this question over on the computer/technology thread.

Ciao

• 4 years later...