Ps3 Has Broken

ha55ha

My Playstaion 3, which I bought in Hong Kong 1.5 years ago, has just recently stopped recognizing any discs (games, movies, cd's.) Does anyone know the best place I can get it fixed?

I'm slightly worried that if I just take it to some random shop I will a) charge me a ridiculous amount, and b ) they will break it even more.

Thanks!

Edited by ha55ha

Perhaps a dumb question, so forgive me, but have you cleaned the lens in that 18 months? If not, they get covered in bits of dust, dead skin, dirt, etc. and then they can't read the discs.

Get a CD/DVD cleaning kit - you can get a disc with fur on one side, spray some purpose-designed solvent on it, play it and it cleans all the crap off.

Any optical drive that stops reading disks - that's my first move.

That's a great idea, thanks. Do you know where I could buy one from? IT City, Tesco, Panthip Plaza?

yes IT city, and probably Tescos, Carrefour, many of the smaller shops in Pantip that sell computers bits and bobs might have them too

incidently, have they cracked the PS3 yet? meaning, is there a modded chip for it

Edited by Donnyboy

That's a great idea, thanks. Do you know where I could buy one from? IT City, Tesco, Panthip Plaza?

yes IT city, and probably Tescos, Carrefour, many of the smaller shops in Pantip that sell computers bits and bobs might have them too

incidently, have they cracked the PS3 yet? meaning, is there a modded chip for it

Thanks I will check those places out today.

I'm not too sure tbh if you can chip the PS3's yet, if I end up having to take mine somewhere to be fixed I will inquire about it though and let you know.

The best shop to take it to in Chiang Mai is a little shop near the railway station, Ive taken my xbox360 there before and Its been done in quick time and at a great price. Go down the road with the railway carpark on your left, carry on until you can turn left over the railway lines, once over them go straight on to the petrol station/depot in front of you and the shop is on the left opposite, its only a little shop but the guys that work in there are great. It also has the best range of games for sale anywhere that ive seen in CM

well, PS3s ain't the most common item around either.... so not a big number of places can competently work on them.

I am here and my e-reader broke, which isn't even sold here yet....every sony store i went to just glazed over, with a couple offering to buy it from me.

so...i went to the SONY official repairshop, down in Hangdong.... they admired it, said it was only the 2nd they had ever seen, yes, they had specs for it and could obtain parts...if i would be kind enuf to leave it, they would call me within a few days.

they did...all repaired.... i had burned out the charging chip by using a dodgy chinese charger.... and it cost me about 80 baht......with warranty on the rest of the machine still intact.....

SO.....that is always an option....

While we're on the subject, where's the best/cheapest place to buy proper PS3 games in Chiang Mai?

I only just bought mine so I'm in the market for a few games. It came with Tekken 5 which absolutely bores the tits off me.