Thai Exports Jump 23.1 Percent In February

Thai exports jump 23.1 percent in February

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai exports climbed for a fourth consecutive month in February, as strengthening key markets boosted recovery in the kingdom, the commerce ministry said Friday.

Exports were up 23.1 percent year-on-year to 14.4 billion dollars, the ministry said in a statement.

Agricultural and agri-products grew at 38.4 percent and industrial exports were up 15.2 percent.

Thailand is the world's top exporter of rice and rubber and the second biggest seller of sugar, after Brazil.

Exports to the kingdom's biggest customers in the United States, European Union and Japan expanded 38.8 percent as those markets continued to recover from the global financial crisis.

Revenue from new markets in Asia, eastern Europe and Latin America grew by an average of 20 percent.

The ministry maintained its 2010 target of 14 percent annual growth and 170 billion dollars total yearly revenue.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-19

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

This is a pretty fantastic number. If valid, it's a lot hotter than even China's GDP bubble growth. China's economy grew about 8 1/2% last year, the world was less than 2 1/2%, IIRC.

China puffed it's bubble up at the end of 2008 with like $570Billion. That's like a $2Trillion stim in the US. It's gotta burst. I'm figuring it'll be worse than Dubai, and the PIIGS. And it'll give the USA a second, or third, severe recession -until the riminbi (sp?) comes up to real levels and other countries can make & sell stuff again. Thailand could be in a good position while the US and others try to ramp up.

If I were Thailand, I'd watch for that Baby Huey to be looking for a place to sit down and catch its breath. And the US should see interest rates rise.

Wondering, what's the best position to be in when that bubble bursts?