A Cut Above.....

Eazy-Going

Tired of trying to cut my food up with a spoon, chasing it around the plate/bowl with a pair of chopsticks or spreading my butter on my toast with a meat cleaver/pairing knife, I really thought it was time to invest in some cutlery knives. I'd asked all local market vendors, (or rather the other half had), as to whether they sold such items, a resounding NO, as Thai people never used them.

After bending my spoon today trying to cut through a piece of pork at breakfast, I decided it really was time to persevere in sourcing a set of suitable eating irons, so a trip to the local Big C was on the cards....109 Baht for 2 sub standard table knives...couldn't believe it. Could buy 12 spoons for les than half this, a set of chefs knives various sizes for a fraction more, meat cleavers, fish slices, chopsticks to last a lifetime, ladles, scoops etc. for less. Asking my g/f as to why they are so expensive and if we could find cheaper, or at least a better quality elsewhere, she could only assume that they were priced as such because only 'farangs' used them, (incidently she thought I was just being pathetic wanting such items as she has coped all of her life without, she was probably right).

This peeved me all day and I now feel better for getting it off my chest. What little glitch has peeved you today?