Petrol Bomb, Automatic Gunfire Disturb The Peace In Bangkok

webfact

Petrol bomb, automatic gunfire disturb the peace

By The Nation

30125122-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Amid the ongoing political turmoil, a petrolbomb attack was launched early yesterday morning on the security outpost of an Army barracks in Bangkok.

No injuries were reported.

Police arrested a taxi driver who was seen driving the three attackers to the site, the front gate of the 2nd Cavalry Division on Phaholyothin Road in the Sanam Pao area, and were questioning him at press time.

One attacker was seen throwing a bottle full of petrol at a decommissioned tank used as a symbol of the cavalry, while another lit the splashed liquid. The three men fled in the direction of Victory Monument in the taxi.

Elsewhere in Bangkok, automatic gunfire raked two businessmen's homes located near each other in Sukhumvit Soi 53. There were reports of property damage but no casualties.

Police are looking into the motives behind the incident but said business conflicts and debt problems involving Suraphong Techawibool, owner of one of the homes, could be the motive.

Suraphong handed over video footage from security cameras at his home to Thonglor police as evidence.

Two men on a motorcycle were seen carrying out the attack. One of them fired at Suraphong's house, then at the other home, which belongs to his cousin, before both attackers fled.

Fifteen spent 5.56millimetre cartridges were found outside of Suraphong's home and another 25 at the other house.

Both businessmen later met with police and said they jointly owed Bt88 million to a certain financial institute after their cardboardbox business failed and were fighting related lawsuits filed against them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I lived and worked in a number of Middle Eastern Countries. Whenever there was a disturbance, or even a celebration (they like to fire guns in the air), the occasion was taken to settle scores. Either that or bullets falling from the sky manage to hit a lot of people.

I lived and worked in a number of Middle Eastern Countries. Whenever there was a disturbance, or even a celebration (they like to fire guns in the air), the occasion was taken to settle scores. Either that or bullets falling from the sky manage to hit a lot of people.

Yes, that has always amazed me, don't they realise what goes up must come down. A falling bullet tip could easily puncture your skull. Anyway, I guess its the better of the two because if their not shooting into the air they are shooting at each other. :)

Yes, of course, this is how Mr Taksin explained the Tak Bai shootings: the police fired into the air and the bullets came down and hit the protesters. Why would he lie? :)

Because of this practice, by my estimate, the population of the Palestinian territories should be about 23 by now.

Off topic post but it has to be said somewhere in public.

I like the closed news forum but TV should try to achieve some balance in the news posting.

I have reviewed the last 2 days of postings. Because of TV's commitments to The Nation it is not surprising that the majority of items is from themand their slant on things. ?

Next in volume are posting from TAN and their brand of news.

Doesn't TV have some sort of review board to reduce the overwhelming bias we are experiencing now?

How about the rest of the media? Why is TV not posting news from other media outlets? Earlier I complained about TV people throwing their views as News. Now we are getting a very biased and in my view distorted picture from a selected and predictable few media outlets. It is very close to a propaganda forum now.

Please keep the closed new forum but, let's see some balance with other media views favorable of both sides.

Regards,

I like the closed news forum but TV should try to achieve some balance in the news posting.

I have reviewed the last 2 days of postings. Because of TV's commitments to The Nation it is not surprising that the majority of items is from themand their slant on things. ?

Doesn't TV have some sort of review board to reduce the overwhelming bias we are experiencing now?

How about the rest of the media? Why is TV not posting news from other media outlets? Earlier I complained about TV people throwing their views as News. Now we are getting a very biased and in my view distorted picture from a selected and predictable few media outlets. It is very close to a propaganda forum now.

Please keep the closed new forum but, let's see some balance with other media views favorable of both sides.

Regards,

Try thai messageboards you can find ones favourable to both sides and flick around between them

Whatveer TV wants there are only a limited number of Thai english language sites TAN, Nation, MCOT and BKK Post (cant be used here) and TNN. Only the nation is really producing the volume that TV needs for this service, so it is that or nothing for real time stuff.

Regards,

Try thai messageboards you can find ones favourable to both sides and flick around between them

Whatveer TV wants there are only a limited number of Thai english language sites TAN, Nation, MCOT and BKK Post (cant be used here) and TNN. Only the nation is really producing the volume that TV needs for this service, so it is that or nothing for real time stuff.

Thanks for your reply.

I guess your response just begs the issue. Why in the world would TV want to put out biased "news" (propaganda) under guise of fair news?

Regards,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess your response just begs the issue. Why in the world would TV want to put out biased "news" (propaganda) under guise of fair news?

I dont think they have a choice if they want to provide thius service. The Nation is just about the only english language source doing real time. It is that or nothing. Even TAN and BKK Post are not real time and ther government agencies are even slower. The foreign news dont do real time. I guess take it for what it is and the service does seem to be appreciated. A lot of it is factual information (protestors get to......, roads closed) although a few opinions and comments from journos make it throughh of course. They either do it like this or dont do it.

By th eway there are people twittering away too in relative real time but usually the Nation reporters are still the most rapid at this too. Iirc even BKK pundit recommneds at least one of them

Anyway I cant speak for TV so I guess for an answer you need to contact a moderator or something. Not sure of that procedure

this is scandalization again, connecting it to redshirts et all, poor show thaivisa.......putting it in your red lettered news feed, not cool, looks as though its connected to the demos today, should be taken off

Where does it blame the reds ? the shooting they say might be due to business problems. no mention of the word redshirts.

this is scandalization again, connecting it to redshirts et all, poor show thaivisa.......putting it in your red lettered news feed, not cool, looks as though its connected to the demos today, should be taken off

Did it ever occur to you that, if you find Thai Visa scandalous, you and KhunJames both, you can always unsubscribe?

Did it ever occur to you that, if you find Thai Visa scandalous, you and KhunJames both, you can always unsubscribe?

and go home? :)

Yup thats the way it goes down on ThaiVisa :D

Yup thats the way it goes down on ThaiVisa :D

And you know this by beig a member for 6 days! Amazing Thailand :D

Suraphong Techawibool should settle up quickly. A 5.56mm cartridge can go through several walls before finding a "resting place."This is more than just a warning. Or it could be red shirts with bad aim.

thailand.media140.org tries to provide timely postings of useful, relevant information about developments during the rallies while avoiding analysis, opinion and, especially, nonsense. It ain't perfect but that is the stated aim.

IMHO, following a good selection of Twitter accounts is by far the best way to keep on top of breaking news. You might have to weed out some of the nonsense but on average, the Twitter stream is usually 1.5-2 hours ahead of any of the purveyors of so-called breaking news, especially during the daytime. The good guys in here can also be invaluable for timely or unusual info. I just wish I didn't have to wade through so many redundant, inane or otherwise unhelpful posts.