Qnap Ts-459 Pro Turbo Nas

JohnnyFeelIt

Distributor of QNAP in Thailand is ComSeven, and they also have a webshop where you can buy the products they distribute. ComSeven is the company behind BananaIT and other chain stores if I'm not mistaken, so it's a reputable company at least, for good and bad I guess.

They only have two QNAP servers on their website, but maybe you could have some luck if you wrote them and asked for other models.

I wonder if building yourself is cheaper :)

For the enthusiast (and from people using Qnap NAS servers I assume they have a rather high IT knowledge) building one and running one will be massively cheaper.

The hardware Qnaps uses in their cheaper model (36,600) Baht costs maybe all of a few thousand Baht, so you pay 30,000 Baht for their NAS software and a fancy dedicated case!

Mainboard with onboard vga and 6 sata ports, cheap CPU, 1GB ram, 1 good quality USB thumbdrive to hold the NAS OS and a decent case. Good to go.

Use free NAS software such as Freenas

You want the hot swap drive bays, you can buy them separately as well, seen them around 800 Baht. Would still keep hardware costs around the 10,000 Baht level.

As I said, not advised for your average family person who just needs some extra storage for their movie collection, but people with the time, knowledge and inclination to tinker around a bit, some massive savings can be made...

I wonder if building yourself is cheaper :)

For the enthusiast (and from people using Qnap NAS servers I assume they have a rather high IT knowledge) building one and running one will be massively cheaper.

The hardware Qnaps uses in their cheaper model (36,600) Baht costs maybe all of a few thousand Baht, so you pay 30,000 Baht for their NAS software and a fancy dedicated case!

Mainboard with onboard vga and 6 sata ports, cheap CPU, 1GB ram, 1 good quality USB thumbdrive to hold the NAS OS and a decent case. Good to go.

Use free NAS software such as Freenas

You want the hot swap drive bays, you can buy them separately as well, seen them around 800 Baht. Would still keep hardware costs around the 10,000 Baht level.

As I said, not advised for your average family person who just needs some extra storage for their movie collection, but people with the time, knowledge and inclination to tinker around a bit, some massive savings can be made...

I like your thinking.. but the case would be a lot bigger... i have been thinking of just setting up a small server for it. You are right its cheaper.. but do i use more power that way ? Also the raid parts is real important for me.

Point taken, also considered doing this prior to buying the first QNAP I got...

2 things worth a mention though..

Time, the amount of time it would take to setup a linux NAS box to do all of what the QNAP will do is a massive variation. The QNAP has 1 cilck installer packages for most things I guess the extra cost is almost exclusively down to the customised software.

Power, I think the QNAP boxes use 1 third of what a standard NAS server would use, at the end of 2 or 3 yrs or whatever the boxes lifespan is, I'd assume it's more than paid for itself?

naah, maybe the NAS itself without the drives...

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=104

Probably more like it, 39 watt idle and 63 when active..

Still, point taken, a PC will use more, but much less then you might think!

I reckon in NAS duty, with onboard vga sitting at idle all the time will probably only eat between 50 and 100 Watt. You have to add another 6 Watt per drive actually reading/writing, so we're looking at between 80 and 130 Watt! And believe me, the 80 would be easy to get. Recent model CPU, and high quality PSU (efficiency) will get you you that.

So yes, the NAS runs at 50% power. So if you save 60 watts gives 1.5 KWh/day, at 4 Baht per KWh you'd save 6 Baht/day or 2200 Baht/year. Will hardly put a dent in your budget, and takes about 12 years to get back the extra money you'd spent on the NAS...

So you're left with ease of use and time of set-up. And of course some differences, freenas only does raid 0,1 and 5 where I guess 5 would be the most popular. Qnas also does raid 6.

Oops, just noticed I compared the power with the 509, which was the one available at comseven...

The 549 saves more power by using the low power Atom CPU, but mainboards and CPU are freely available for self built systems as well.

I still think it is overly optimistic considering that the most energy efficient drives (the Green WD) uses 6 Watt during reading/writing, so with the 4 drives active that still consists of 24 Watts. Leaves 11 watt for CPU/networking and the loss in the power supply.

According to this article qnap does underestimate power consumption..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/qnap-p...rld,2217-3.html

The same 509 using 39/63 Watts according to Qnap, in real life burns 43/83 Watts, with peaks up to 172 Watts.

So it costs around 10k more after usage is taken into account... Small price to pay for avoiding pissing around in a shell account for hours on end to get the thing functioning as required.. :)

I like the thing.. i have 2 nas servers here one from WD and one from Buffalo and they are both crap when it comes to copying files. I wish i had forked out a bit more before.

So it costs around 10k more after usage is taken into account... Small price to pay for avoiding pissing around in a shell account for hours on end to get the thing functioning as required.. :)

shell account?

freenas uses a GUI similar to the premade boxes...

OK, I confess, I'm a nerd :D :D

shell account?

I am giving your idea serious thought.. but i like the size of the nas servers and the fact that they are hot swappable plus that they are pre configured. I dont like the price however.

shell account?

Not meaning to get into a pissin match..

But the GUI only supports:

Bittorent client (Transmission)

UPnP server (FUPPES)

iTunes/DAAP server (Firefly)

Webserver (lighttpd)

Network bandwitdh measure (Iperf)

?

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I got over the price and got one, its quite fast and has some real good features. You pay more but its also a lot better.

I hooked up a usb drive to it and it will sync the raid 5 shares to it that i want every night. Also i will set up an connection with an external internet server to backup my data at night.

This way i got tripple security.

Raid 5

USB drive

Internet backup

I finally feel safe having lost data once i wont let it happen again. If i really loose the data of my clients (accounting data) i would almost certainly have to close my business and loose my source of income. So its ok to spend money on safety and a sure solution. (have to rationalise it to myself :) )

But then reading on the forum about a drive failing and data lost makes me think i did the right thing.