Thai Bus Drivers Need One More Driving License

george

Bus drivers need one more driving license

BANGKOK: -- Worried by bus accidents that have occured frequently, the Ministry of Transport today came up with a new measure, requiring every bus driver to obtain an extra driving license which specify that the drivers have received a special training on bus driving.

Deputy Transport Minister Adisorn Piengkes said he had ordered the state-run Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) and the Transport Co., Ltd., as well as operators of private-run buses that their drivers would need to undertake a special training on bus driving service and to strictly follow traffic rules.

Currently, bus drivers have licenses issued by the Land Transport Department and, according to Mr. Adisorn, the second license will boost confidence for bus passengers.

He said he expected the requirement would be enforced soon and concerned officials would have to be more stringent on the drivers thereafter.(

--TNA 2005-05-21

Bus drivers are definitely my least favorite group of people in Thailand.

Only once have I almost completely lost my temper and gone on a verbal tirade (i didn't, but i really wanted to) against anyone in this country. The person I wanted to go off on was the driver of a bus from Pataya to Bangkok who drove us home one night like a bat out of ######, weaving all over the place from lane to lane going way, way, way too fast. Instead I just gave him an evil stare and a shake of the head as we stepped off the bus.

There is only one solution: severe fines and penalties for bus traffic violations, AND....MOST importantly...even MORE severe penalties for cops taking bribes to excuse bus traffic violations. The government needs to go as far as setting up stings to entrap bribe seeking cops. Can anyone think of any better solution?

A few times when I was riding city bus in Bangkok, I saw people even old people trying to get off the bus, but the driver has started going before the people landed safely, and staggered and some fell down.

One time was very serious, it was an aircon intercity bus, and a old lady holding 2 plastic bags was getting off the bus, and the driving has started to go forwards and the lady was still foot in the air, and she fell and hit the concrete, and lied on the street side. The bus driver acted nothing happen and sped away. And everyone in the bus also acted nothing happen, I shouted at him and demanded to get off to see the old lady. And he finally stopped to let me off and shouted to me back. And I went back to see the old lady and she was hurt very seriously and there was another good guy who called the ambulance. But another very depressing situation, the ambulance did not show up about 1 hour later and the old lady was in so much pain and fainted. I hope she is alive and well, I did not know what happen to her later.

How can Thai public condone so much behavior like this. I think if Thaiand wants to move forward to a modernized nation, they really have to improve the quality of the most basic services of general public. If the bus companies only want to hire some cheapie outlaws as drivers, then the authotity should intervene to set tough rules to make sure the safety of the general public. I still have a little fear to ride the Bangkok intercity bus especially when I get on and get off, could be very threatening sometimes.

Now the driver will have two pieces of useless paper :o , these maggots actually aim at you when they drive :D

Aiport limo drivers, motor bike taxi drivers, ferry boat drivers and the majority of Phuket drivers are all crap.. There needs to be some stringent laws put in place for these idiots. And then there is the farang idiots who have never ridden a big bike in their lives, but feel confident enough to hire a vmax :D

It is not easy being the only perfect driver in Phuket :D

Bus drivers are definitely my least favorite group of people in Thailand.

Only once have I almost completely lost my temper and gone on a verbal tirade (i didn't, but i really wanted to) against anyone in this country. The person I wanted to go off on was the driver of a bus from Pataya to Bangkok who drove us home one night like a bat out of ######, weaving all over the place from lane to lane going way, way, way too fast. Instead I just gave him an evil stare and a shake of the head as we stepped off the bus.

There is only one solution: severe fines and penalties for bus traffic violations, AND....MOST importantly...even MORE severe penalties for cops taking bribes to excuse bus traffic violations. The government needs to go as far as setting up stings to entrap bribe seeking cops. Can anyone think of any better solution?

agree for this! :D co'z almost all of them (bus drivers) are reckless! :o

specify that the drivers have received a special training on bus driving.

It's encouraging to think the drivers will receive special training on driving. Afterall, they've already received special training in track and field... there's no one faster afoot than a bus driver leaving the scene of an accident... :o:D

Take a video camera on the bus and video portions of the ride, and then get a little shot ofthe driver on the way ou, or even get a shot of him through the review mirror.

Peresent this to the people responsible for policing the drivers, or better, to a TV station. The PattayaMail might do it.

Would this help?

Just a thouht

Take a video camera on the bus and video portions of the ride, and then get a little shot ofthe driver on the way ou, or even get a shot of him through the review mirror.

Peresent this to the people responsible for policing the drivers, or better, to a TV station.  The PattayaMail might do it.

Would this help? 

Just a thouht

yes it would, can you do this for us? - I aint getting on any bus! :o

It's encouraging to think the drivers will receive special training on driving. Afterall, they've already received special training in track and field... there's no one faster afoot than a bus driver leaving the scene of an accident...  :o  :D

Thats because as with half of the Bangkok taxi drivers, there not even suppose to be in the driving seat! :D

Bus drivers need one more driving license 

Deputy Transport Minister Adisorn Piengkes said he had ordered the state-run Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) and  the Transport  Co., Ltd., as well as operators of  private-run buses  that their drivers would need to undertake a special training  on bus driving service and to strictly follow traffic rules.

--TNA 2005-05-21

In Bangkok, strictly follow traffic rules? :o

A few times when I was riding city bus in Bangkok, I saw people even old people trying to get off the bus, but the driver has started going before the people landed safely, and staggered and some fell down.

One time was very serious, it was an aircon intercity bus, and a old lady holding 2 plastic bags was getting off the bus, and the driving has started to go forwards and the lady was still foot in the air, and she fell and hit the concrete, and lied on the street side. The bus driver acted nothing happen and sped away. And everyone in the bus also acted nothing happen, I shouted at him and demanded to get off to see the old lady. And he finally stopped to let me off and shouted to me back. And I went back to see the old lady and she was hurt very seriously and there was another good guy who called the ambulance. But another very depressing situation, the ambulance did not show up about 1 hour later and the old lady was in so much pain and fainted. I hope she is alive and well, I did not know what happen to her later.

How can Thai public condone so much behavior like this. I think if Thaiand wants to move forward to a modernized nation, they really have to improve the quality of the most basic services of general public. If the bus companies only want to hire some cheapie outlaws as drivers, then the authotity should intervene to set tough rules to make sure the safety of the general public. I still have a little fear to ride the Bangkok intercity bus especially when I get on and get off, could be very threatening sometimes.

I had an achingly similar experience.

The driver was purportedly picking up passengers yet reluctant to come to a complete stop. I was one of a gaggle of about 15 would-be passengers, including quite a few older folks, and just as we would close in on the door, the bus would suddenly lurch forward. And the gaggle would gallop toward the tantalizingly open door. And the bus would tease us for a moment before giving us another taste of its rich black exhaust. This went on repeatedly over the course of 200 or so meters. Then a crazy thought must've overtaken the driver - what if I come to a full stop and let these people get on? This unfathomable lapse in judgement soon gave way to his baser urge to hit the accelerator. The last one to scramble on, an old woman, slipped on the step and a nasty gash opened up on her shin. Apart from this idiot farang shouting "Hey," nobody said boo. Another passenger and I helped her get seated and cleaned up, but the rest of the sheep on that bus, along with the driver, carried on as if nothing had happened. Mai pen rai. Grrrrr.

I guess it's the flip side of what we love about this place and what drew us here - the bland acceptance of whatever comes along. Mai pen rai. Well sorry, you can't just mai pen rai everything. Sometimes you have to stand up and do something. If this driver recertification is for real, hats off. I'm all for it. If it's just another bit of lip service - - sputter sputter trailing off sitting down.....

jb

You can analyze this forever trying to get at the root cause of the bus safety problem, but in the end it all comes back to police corruption. You can make stricter laws and stricter licensing procedures but if the regulations aren't enforced, what good are they?

So..how do we tackle police corruption? You've GOT to get rid of the bad eggs in the police force. And if 95% of the police are bad eggs...well, I guess we'll have to turn many of the bad eggs into good ones! :o

A substantial portion of the Thai federal budget MUST be redirected toward anti-corruption efforts. I mean, you've GOT to set up sting operations to nail these bribe takers. Someone with power in Thailand must stand up with courage and take on the cops head-on. That would be a true Thai hero in my book.

Someone with power in Thailand must stand up with courage and take on the cops head-on. That would be a true Thai hero in my book.

Look! Up in the sky... it's a bird, it's a plane.... it's Super Chuwit!!

the Corruption Fighter Extraordinaire

chuwit03.jpg

He's the man for the job...

He should be buried under Sukh soi 10. He is a walking, talking example of total corruption in Thailand, and now he's a politician. Makes me sick. :o