How Long To Get Her A US Visa?

My girlfriend and I would like to go to America to save up enough money to buy a house and start a small company here in Chiang Mai. We are planning on getting married in October or November and hopefully being able to get to America by January. What would it take for us to get a visa for her? She has been to America before as Au Pair 2 years ago when she was 25. Will that help in getting her a visa? What is good proof that she intends to come back here? Any ideas or comments are appreciated!

That actual visa process in CM shouldn't take that long. My wife had an appointment on a Wednesday and received her passport back with a 10 year visa that Friday. Your gf or wife at the time will need to show her relationship with you. Can she show parents, siblings, children, property that she owns, auto, business, education, money in bank (her name) no set amount, job. You will not be allowed into the interview but you need to supply information on your relationship and income, how you you can support her while your in Thailand (Thai bank account)and the US. The Au Pair is a positive but no guarantee.

Edited by gotlost

Are you talking about an Immigrant VISA (IV) or a Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV)?

If you both want to get the IV, if you're going to live and work in the U.S. saving $$$ before coming back here. the process could take some time dependent on a lot of factors.

Please clarify, which visa are you looking for.

Mac

If you both want to get the IV, if you're going to live and work in the U.S. saving $$$ before coming back here. the process could take some time dependent on a lot of factors.

Mac

more than likely a non immigrant visa...thanks!

Mac

Hmmmm, an NIV, visitor visa. My initial reaction is that it's unlikely that she'd get one, since you, repeat YOU, seem to want to stay for a period in the U.S. to earn $$$ prior to returning to Thailand.

For her, she needs to establish to the ConOff's satisfaction that she's NOT an intended immigrant. So if you've just gotten married, and you're planning to stay in the U.S. for an extended period, the impression could be that she would also want to stay.

Hope I'm wrong on this, but ....

Mac

If you get her a tourist visa then she can only stay for no more than 6 months at a time and then could not return for another 6 months.

If you want to get married it will take anywhere between 7-12 months. When we did the fiancée visa it took us 8 months. I spoke to a lawyer before we did this and they said if we were to get married first then it would take a little longer. Either way it's not going to be quick. Even if you are married it's still hard to get a tourist visa. My friend was married to his wife for 5 years and his mom died, tired to get his wife a visa but was refused, why who knows. A few years later she was able to get one, after they went to Europe to visit her sister.

A few things on getting a visa for marriage. You need to show you have money to take care of her. They require an income of about 18,000 USD per year to cover her and you. This can be adjusted down if you have a free place to stay. You family can help to sponsor her support. The fee for Home Land security is $455 then you have the visa fee here in Thailand, not sure what it is now I believe around 4000 baht. Do a search on here a and you can come up with allot of information on this.

Good Luck!!!

Mac

Hmmmm, an NIV, visitor visa. My initial reaction is that it's unlikely that she'd get one, since you, repeat YOU, seem to want to stay for a period in the U.S. to earn $$$ prior to returning to Thailand.

For her, she needs to establish to the ConOff's satisfaction that she's NOT an intended immigrant. So if you've just gotten married, and you're planning to stay in the U.S. for an extended period, the impression could be that she would also want to stay.

Hope I'm wrong on this, but ....

Mac

Here's looking at the IV, Immigrant Visa option, IF you have been living (not just visiting in and out) in Thailand for at least one year. The time period is evidently critical.

Below is what I posted on another guy's IV processing, just completed a couple weeks ago.

Mac

Checking with a friend now, believe his wife's case took about four months. One thing that really sped things up is that since they've lived here for at least one year, they were able to file the original I-130 petition and supporting documents with U.S. Immigration there on Wireless Road. It can be a MUCH longer process if you're required to file in the U.S.

You can start the learning process here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

3 months. Have to meet the year residency requirement to do it with USCIS direct. First visit was to ask about K 3 or K 1 or tourist with USCIS. After the visit we got married legally. About two months and half from submitting our first application with USCIS

Out of the three applying for K 3 that day the 15th, she was the only one approved. She was turned down also but I had the I 864 with me and submitted it that afternoon to get approval. It was not called for in the packet to submit. I did not think it was necessary due to I 134 submitted. Dont know what problem with others but mostly evidence problems.

Within two months two days. we just checked calendar. we were promised three or more but less. USCIS was quite helpful. Especially with corrections of forms. Not an easy fill out. J

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx