Kids Programs On Tv

corkman

Hi All,

Looking at the various cable tv packages available, I see there are plenty of kids channels to include disney channel etc. Can someone tell (some one with kids preferably :) ) are these channels in English, and if so, do they show all the same programs as they do back in the UK, such as:

Peppa Pig

Handy Manny

Mickey mouse clubhouse

Dora the explorer

little einstiens

etc....

Many thanks in advance......

There are two Disney channels and both in English. One is for the little ones and has shows like Handy Manny, Barney & Friends, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins, My Friends Tiger and Pooh etc. The other Disney channel is for kids a bit older with shows such as Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly etc.

For a separate price there is also the Nickelodian channel (also in English) which has a mixture of shows for the little ones (Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron) as well as for older kids such as I Carly, Josh and Drake etc. If you can navigate Truevisions website (I can't) you can see all the shows the two Disney channels and one Nickelodian channel has.

I find the choice for younger pre school kids not great. The only things I let my son watch are scooby doo & flinstones (in thai). I ended up bringing a bunch of cbeebies dvd's, peppa pig, balamory, in the night garden & some cbeebies compilations suitable for toddlers. Unlike in UK where you can restrict the channels to ones with age appropriate shows here they seem to just mix them up to cater to all age groups so often will leave him watching something ok to come back a few minutes later & find some gruesome anime cartoon for teens on. :)

The cbeebies website does some good deals, we got his cd's before christmas & they were around 2.99 each for 4-5 episodes per dvd. If you have someone to post or bring them to you I would recommend having a look.

There are two Disney channels and both in English. One is for the little ones and has shows like Handy Manny, Barney & Friends, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins, My Friends Tiger and Pooh etc. The other Disney channel is for kids a bit older with shows such as Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly etc.

For a separate price there is also the Nickelodian channel (also in English) which has a mixture of shows for the little ones (Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron) as well as for older kids such as I Carly, Josh and Drake etc. If you can navigate Truevisions website (I can't) you can see all the shows the two Disney channels and one Nickelodian channel has.

Yes, the web site is a little difficult alright ..... that's great that those programs are on, in English, coz my little one will "miss" them otherwise - she will get used to all the other programs etc. in time I am sure.

I find the choice for younger pre school kids not great. The only things I let my son watch are scooby doo & flinstones (in thai). I ended up bringing a bunch of cbeebies dvd's, peppa pig, balamory, in the night garden & some cbeebies compilations suitable for toddlers. Unlike in UK where you can restrict the channels to ones with age appropriate shows here they seem to just mix them up to cater to all age groups so often will leave him watching something ok to come back a few minutes later & find some gruesome anime cartoon for teens on. :D

The cbeebies website does some good deals, we got his cd's before christmas & they were around 2.99 each for 4-5 episodes per dvd. If you have someone to post or bring them to you I would recommend having a look.

Yes, well I've ordered €100 worth of stuff from Amazon for this purpose :D and the purpose of this thread really is to try and determine if I need to order more :) ...... but I think between the 20 or so new disks, and the 20-30 disks she already has, and supplementing it with the disney channel etc. then we should be covered - but we'll have freinds and family travelling out and back the whole time, so we can always "top up" with new stuff as needed :D

Yes, the web site is a little difficult alright ..... that's great that those programs are on, in English, coz my little one will "miss" them otherwise - she will get used to all the other programs etc. in time I am sure.

Sounds like she watches a lot of tv . . . why not limit the time by playing a cd/dvd? 30 minutes of Hi5 or The Wiggles and then done . . . if you can't find the cd/dvd for sale there is always the torrent option, though that is not legal, of course, and advising one to use it would be a bit sad.

The Disney channels are worth getting. Also you don't get that you suddenly get age-inappropriate cartoons following young kids stuff.

With Spark and the Disney channels there's really far too much appropriate TV already. There's only so much time kids can (should) spend watching TV, appropriate or not.

Boomerang is on most of the independent cable services and what our grandchildren like the best. It is mostly US and UK top line programs from years ago but back as a boomerang. There is quite a bit of English but most have been dubbed. Of course my favorite needs no language; (Road Runner).

Sounds like she watches a lot of tv . . . why not limit the time by playing a cd/dvd? 30 minutes of Hi5 or The Wiggles and then done . . . if you can't find the cd/dvd for sale there is always the torrent option, though that is not legal, of course, and advising one to use it would be a bit sad.

She doesn't actually ...... generally..... much more of "activity" type of child - between lego and her play-kitchen we get three square meals a day of fried lego bricks and pretend tea :)

But yes, I agree - too much TV is bad for a child ..... I am convinced its where they "learn" to be bold....