Thai 1 And 5 Year Driver's License

Wow, I guess I lucked out or being a woman married to a thai is different, because I didn't do half of what you guys had to do to get a drivers license. 

CDL and passport that's it. Oh did have the doctors exam (what a scam) and paid a few baht for the license, but nothing like what you all paid.

Beachbunny

Trust me here. The license fee is the same for all comers.

Well, just checked with the hubby to make sure I didn't miss anything. He says no way, less than 200 baht. I will add one thing though; the first time I got my DL here I had my CDL, passport, and housebook with me. 2nd time just CDL and passport. So if you don't believe me I guess it's your problem, can't convince you.

Beachbunny

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just checked with the hubby to make sure I didn't miss anything.  He says no way, less than 200 baht.  I will add one thing though; the first time I got my DL here I had my CDL, passport, and housebook with me.  2nd time just CDL and passport.  So if you don't believe me I guess it's your problem, can't convince you.

Beachbunny

I don't think anyone disbelieves you but your experience doesn't sound too much different from most others. Fees are 105 baht for a one-year licence and 505 baht for the 5-year.

Well, just checked with the hubby to make sure I didn't miss anything.  He says no way, less than 200 baht.  I will add one thing though; the first time I got my DL here I had my CDL, passport, and housebook with me.  2nd time just CDL and passport.  So if you don't believe me I guess it's your problem, can't convince you.

Beachbunny

I don't think anyone disbelieves you but your experience doesn't sound too much different from most others. Fees are 105 baht for a one-year licence and 505 baht for the 5-year.

I guess in my original e-mail that was replied to by the doc, I should have been a little more clear. I was referring to all the other documents and fees it seems everyone is having to pay for just to get a thai drivers license. I'm just saying I went with the documents I stated and it took no more than 20 min. both times (not counting running out the first time for the so-called Dr's exam) and most of that was just waiting my turn.

My experience being a foreign woman married to a thai man is most of the time different from what a foreign man experiences married to a thai woman. That's just been MY experience. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the definitive requirement to renew a Thai driving license or does it depend (like most things Thai) on the mood of the person you are dealing with?.

According to Thaivisa:

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

Passport  (and 1 signed copy of photo page) 

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each) 

Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building) 

Your old Thai driving license.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon.

Fee 105 Baht.

We applied at our local amphur to renew my license and the woman behind the counter insisted on seeing a new Embassy certified residency address which means another 1500 baht and a 2 week wait.

Does anyone know the definitive requirement to renew a Thai driving license or does it depend (like most things Thai) on the mood of the person you are dealing with?....

We applied at our local amphur to renew my license and the woman behind the counter insisted on seeing a new Embassy certified residency address which means another 1500 baht and a 2 week wait.

You should be able to present an address certificate obtained from your local immigration department. They do it for free (maybe - a 'tip' is sometimes suggested). I think they want to see your passport, and copy of your house papers (or landlord's) and ID card (or landlord's). But note the word 'should' - it worked in Phuket.

News from up country:

Yesterday morning I renewed my retirement extension (4th). In and out in 20 minutes.

Then on to the license office to renew my driving license. Usual paperwork but they wanted to see a letter from immigration confirming my address. I gave them a copy of last year's letter (same address). Nope, they wanted a new one.

Luckily a mate was going to immigration yesterday afternoon so I asked him to pick up a letter for me. Nope! We spoke to immigration and they explained that the rules had changed and to enable them to issue a letter they needed 2 photographs (to prove where I live?) and confirmation from FG that I lived in our house. I explained that we had only left immigration 2 hours before (they did remember me) during which time I had given them 2 photographs and the FG had confirmed my address on the extension application form. Nope, it's a different form! I explained that they had issued a letter last year and I am still at the same address (5 years now). Nope, nope, nope!

I get tired sometimes.

I have an older UN license that I bought for 2000 baht (I think - 5 years ago), I have used it for insurance pruposes in Thailand, not that that means anything as I could of used a video club card :D . I tried to hire a car in England last year and was laughed at - just thought Id check :o

A mate of mine here in Phuket has a credit card type license that he bought in Phuket and used it when he was pulled over in England for speeding, he told me it is a "swipe license" (credit card type) and it was ok with the English police.

I cant be 100% sure on this, but he is a well to do type guy and I happen to believe him.

just a little info, use it as you will. :D

How recent does the residence verification from your Embassy need to be ?

It costs $30 = 1200B and would be a shame to need a new one if your residence has not changed.

Since the driver's license office kept the original of my first notarized residency verification form when I got my one year license I needed to go back to the consulate to get another notarized one. The driver's license will not accept copies of the notarized form. The biggest pain is not the $30 but the time wasted getting it.

Just got my one year (in March) at the District license office in Bua Yai (north of Korat). They did not keep the original US Embassy address affidavit, I still have the original. In addition to the above OP they also insisted on seeing my original Thai Marriage Certificate.

Won't know until next year when I apply for my 5 year whether they will accept the same original Embassy affidavit that I still have. Seems different offices can and do play by different rules. :D

Now that's a new one, how does a marriage certificate relate to whether you can drive or not. TiT :D:D

Perhaps they want her on the licence, so that she can drive him to drink. :o

More DL news from Surin.

Yesterday morning off to Immigration to obtain my 'proof of address'. I needed 2 passport photos, a copy of my passport and extension page, a copy of the 'house papers', a copy of the owner's ID and the owner to sign for me. They produced the letter, stuck one of the pictures on my copy and away off to the license office. Obtained my new license, no problem. However, they would only issue a 1 year license (apparently 5 year licenses are not now available to farangs) and next year I will need all the same documentation to obtain a new letter from Immigration.

Unless the 'law' changes again, of course!

More DL news from Surin.

Yesterday morning off to Immigration to obtain my 'proof of address'. I needed 2 passport photos, a copy of my passport and extension page, a copy of the 'house papers', a copy of the owner's ID and the owner to sign for me. They produced the letter, stuck one of the pictures on my copy and away off to the license office. Obtained my new license, no problem. However, they would only issue a 1 year license (apparently 5 year licenses are not now available to farangs) and next year I will need all the same documentation to obtain a new letter from Immigration.

If you 'renew' your one year license AFTER it has expired they will give you a 5 year one. If you 'renew' it BEFORE it expires you get another one year license.

If you 'renew' your one year license AFTER it has expired they will give you a 5 year one. If you 'renew' it BEFORE it expires you get another one year license.

My license expired on 23rd June 2005. I renewed it on 28th June 2005. One year license only. They said it was a change in the 'law'.

Beachbunny

Well guys, I am driving here almost 8 years now and I guess I should speak up about my experience too. :D I got my Thai DL using AA issued IDL from my country. I had to submit a letter from Embassy 750.00B, IDL from my home country (nearly expired, 5 days left), copies of my passport and work permit, medical certificate 50.00B. I was tested for colour blindness and of cause I failed :o . But since I didn’t speak in Thai to the officer he didn’t realize my handicap. He thought I couldn’t understand him :D . The whole process took only 2 hours and I got my Thai DL for 1 year cost 50.50B. Every year I try to renew it 1 or 2 days before the expiration day and 3 times I got it renewed as 1 year. Two years back they gave me 5 year straight but I never bother to find out why :D .

My license expired on 23rd June 2005. I renewed it on 28th June 2005. One year license only. They said it was a change in the 'law'.

I got my 5 year one here at the Bangkok office. Maybe different offices uses different rules...OR maybe the law was changed in the last 30 days. I'll ring up the BKK one and see what they say.

The Samutprakan office didn't ask for another address confirmation (only needed that for my first one-year licence) but as has been mentioned that is probably because of the work permit.

Same as Khon Kaen, no address confirmation for the first year.

But, when they saw me, without me speaking, they said I needed my wife!

This was as noone spoke English.

I got by though.

More DL news from Surin.

I just got off the phone with the driving license office here in Bangkok and they assured me that farangs with Non-Immigrant visas can get a 5 year driving license AFTER their first one year license expires.

I assume you are here on a Non-Immigrant visa. The Bangkok office assured me that the 5 year licenses were still available to farangs...but, only after their one year license expired.

I just got my one year license here in Korat. They accepted a "statement of residence" from the immigration section of the local police department. No need for a certification from the embassy/consulate. The "statement of residence" was free.

We had to take four separate tests: color blindness, peripheral vision, reaction time and depth perception. Of the four, the peripheral vision test was the hardest.

As I noted in a different thread, my Thai GF, who had never been licensed in Thailand, was able to avoid taking the written and road tests by presenting her US D/L and IDP.

I just got off the phone with the driving license office here in Bangkok and they assured me that farangs with Non-Immigrant visas can get a 5 year driving license AFTER their first one year license expires.

I have a retirement extension; have had since 2002. Again Surin Officials appear to have a different interpretation of the law than the rest of Thailand.

Edited by jayenram

I got my 5 year one here at the Bangkok office. Maybe different offices uses different rules...OR maybe the law was changed in the last 30 days. I'll ring up the BKK one and see what they say.

Is it possible that one of you guys in the big smoke get hold of an official copy of the law (in Thai) reguarding the 5 year option and post it on the Forum so as we who have difficulties with authorities can show them the error of their ways?

Just a thought!

I live in Pattaya where I think they invented the "No Rules" thing. I have lived here for many years and always done this the easy way. I give my Thai lawyer a thousand baht, two photos and a copy of my passport and my car and motorbike license comes back the next day finished. I have never personally had to attend the motor vehicle office for anything. It is worth the small extra fee to avoid this hassle. Maybe I just have the right lawyer?

Here are the steps for (1) getting your first one year Thai driver’s license and (2) renewing your Thai driver’s license for another 5+ years. Being an US citizen I am using the American steps (i.e., US Consulate, US driver’s license) but I assume that most of the steps are the same for other non-Thais:

(1) One Year License:

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa  and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

When I applied for my 1 year license I had all the paperwork in hand (originals and photo copies). The process at the driver’s license office took about one hour. The most time consuming part of the effort, including travel time, was getting the notarized residence document from the US Consulate ($30 and 20 minutes inside plus 40 minutes Skytrain time) and the doctor’s certificate (200 baht and 10 minutes in the office, plus 20 minutes walking). Since I had an International Driver’s license and a US license I did not have to take a written examination or a driving test…I only had to do the color recognition test.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

(2) Five Year License Renewal

This was easier than the procedure that I had to follow for the one year license. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. If you go to the driver’s license office near the weekend market it is very speedy. Just walk in the front door, take the stairs to the left to the second floor (the one directly above the ground floor), go to the room at the end and stand in any one of the several lines. They move quickly. When it is your turn someone will check your documents to see if you have everything. He’ll ask you to sign the ones they are going to keep. Then you go to a counter that is reserved for farangs (counter #1). That person will take the documents and photos, take a fresh look at your original passport, collect the 505 baht and within a minute or two you’ll be handed your 5 year license. Actually, the license probably will be for longer than 5 years as it will be set to expire on your birthday.  All that is needed for this are:

(a) Your passport.

(:o Photo copies of the passport front page, the non-immigrant visa page…and if you are married to a Thai wife they want a copy of the page that has the stamp which says “Thai Wife”.

© A notarized document from your consulate confirming your residency.

(d) Two “1 photos.

(e) Your expired Thai driver’s license. Note well: it must be expired or else you do not qualify for the 5 year license. If you renew before it expires you will just get a 1 year license.

(f) 505 baht in cash.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

One of our members has posted the URL for an excellent site: it is at http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Here is another link....I did mine out on Suk 1 million something...I didn't need a Thai Friend as they had a person whom just pointed to each line and told me what to write, and Suiay Mahk too!

http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

That page appears to have an error on it - it says requirement no. 3 is for two photos of 2.5 inches. I'm sure that should be 2.5 centimetres (1 inch).

• Like 1

OOOOPS, I'm Soooooooooooooooooooo sorry about that. I've been told, to no suprise, that every place they do DL's ther is a small stand for pics and JUST so people know the same palce will likely laminate for a small fee. MY

DL from Suk Soi 1K gave me a non laminated doc and sent me to the same guy they sent me to for a pic......