Thai 1 And 5 Year Driver's License

Here are the steps for (1) getting your first one year Thai driver’s license and (2) renewing your Thai driver’s license for another 5+ years. Being an US citizen I am using the American steps (i.e., US Consulate, US driver’s license) but I assume that most of the steps are the same for other non-Thais:

(1) One Year License:

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

When I applied for my 1 year license I had all the paperwork in hand (originals and photo copies). The process at the driver’s license office took about one hour. The most time consuming part of the effort, including travel time, was getting the notarized residence document from the US Consulate ($30 and 20 minutes inside plus 40 minutes Skytrain time) and the doctor’s certificate (200 baht and 10 minutes in the office, plus 20 minutes walking). Since I had an International Driver’s license and a US license I did not have to take a written examination or a driving test…I only had to do the color recognition test.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

(2) Five Year License Renewal

This was easier than the procedure that I had to follow for the one year license. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. If you go to the driver’s license office near the weekend market it is very speedy. Just walk in the front door, take the stairs to the left to the second floor (the one directly above the ground floor), go to the room at the end and stand in any one of the several lines. They move quickly. When it is your turn someone will check your documents to see if you have everything. He’ll ask you to sign the ones they are going to keep. Then you go to a counter that is reserved for farangs (counter #1). That person will take the documents and photos, take a fresh look at your original passport, collect the 505 baht and within a minute or two you’ll be handed your 5 year license. Actually, the license probably will be for longer than 5 years as it will be set to expire on your birthday. All that is needed for this are:

(a) Your passport.

(:o Photo copies of the passport front page, the non-immigrant visa page…and if you are married to a Thai wife they want a copy of the page that has the stamp which says “Thai Wife”.

© A notarized document from your consulate confirming your residency.

(d) Two “1 photos.

(e) Your expired Thai driver’s license. Note well: it must be expired or else you do not qualify for the 5 year license. If you renew before it expires you will just get a 1 year license.

(f) 505 baht in cash.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(e) Your expired Thai driver’s license. Note well: it must be expired or else you do not qualify for the 5 year license. If you renew before it expires you will just get a 1 year license.

So I discovered last week :o

A couple of points:-

I had to do a depth perception and reaction test as well as the colour vision check (at the Pathum Thani land transportation office).

Theoretically you don't need the work permit (I didn't have one when I applied).

I have a non-o and a Thai wife, I don't have a stamp in my pasport that says so.

DC

Edited by Crossy

I had to do a depth perception and reaction test as well as the colour vision check (at the Pathum Thani land transportation office).

Theoretically you don't need the work permit (I didn't have one when I applied).

I have a non-o and a Thai wife, I don't have a stamp in my pasport that says so.

DC

I didn't realize that they wanted a copy of the page in my passport that was stamped "Thai Wife" until the girl who was issuing my driver's license looked at my original passport and saw the page. She then asked me to copy it. Had that stamp not been there I don't think she would have said anything. So, I don't think you should worry.

They only want a work permit if you are in the country on that basis. Otherwise, your non-o should be sufficient.

I am pretty sure that I did not have to do a depth perception test at the driver's license office here in BKK.

How recent does the residence verification from your Embassy need to be ?

It costs $30 = 1200B and would be a shame to need a new one if your residence has not changed.

Since the driver's license office kept the original of my first notarized residency verification form when I got my one year license I needed to go back to the consulate to get another notarized one. The driver's license will not accept copies of the notarized form. The biggest pain is not the $30 but the time wasted getting it.

It costs $30 = 1200B and would be a shame to need a new one if your residence has not changed.

Since the driver's license office kept the original of my first notarized residency verification form when I got my one year license I needed to go back to the consulate to get another notarized one. The driver's license will not accept copies of the notarized form. The biggest pain is not the $30 but the time wasted getting it.

Just got my one year (in March) at the District license office in Bua Yai (north of Korat). They did not keep the original US Embassy address affidavit, I still have the original. In addition to the above OP they also insisted on seeing my original Thai Marriage Certificate.

Won't know until next year when I apply for my 5 year whether they will accept the same original Embassy affidavit that I still have. Seems different offices can and do play by different rules. :o

Just got my one year (in March) at the District license office in Bua Yai (north of Korat). They did not keep the original US Embassy address affidavit, I still have the original. In addition to the above OP they also insisted on seeing my original Thai Marriage Certificate.

Won't know until next year when I apply for my 5 year whether they will accept the same original Embassy affidavit that I still have. Seems different offices can and do play by different rules. :o

Now that's a new one, how does a marriage certificate relate to whether you can drive or not. TiT :D:D

Now that's a new one, how does a marriage certificate relate to whether you can drive or not. TiT  :D  :D

:o I know what you mean. My passport had the Non O visa with Thai wife extension so don't know why they insisted on the Marriage Certificate and it's the only document that I didn't have with me (of course). Required a "fast" 1.5 hour roundtrip motorcycle ride to go back to the village to get the thing. TIT and all's well that ends well. :D

It is sort of spooky that every Thai driver's license office seems to have it's own rules.

Maybe they wanted the marriage certificate to see if you qualified for a non-o. Yikes, I don't know.

To be safe I would get an updated residence thing from the consulate when you go for your 5 year one. Time and money spent BEFORE is usually cheaper than what you may have to spend AFTER.

Last time in Chiang Mai I definately had.....

....Doctor's certificate .....80bt.

....Two photos (1")..........50bt.

....A declaration confirming residency in Thailand but not from any consul etc.

Just spoke to the head of immigration and after a cuppa tea they put my photo

in the big book,asked me to sign it and then welcomed me as a NEW Chiang

Mai resident.....105 Baht

On this visit I will serch out a decent sized tree and pin my address on to it :o

also...had photo copies of the passport front page, the non-immigrant visa page…and although married to a Thai wife none of this (they want a copy of the page that has the stamp which says “Thai Wife”.)...havnt even got such a stamp. :D

DC

The work permit actually acts as the address confirmation, so if you are a holder of the blue book it will be sufficient. The work permit have two addresses: 1. Work place addresss. 2. Residential addresss.

The Thai driver's licence bureau wants to see an International Driver's Permit along with your home country driver's license because it (the IDP) vouches for the validy of your home driver's license. Wth 50 states in the US issuing driver's licenses and God only knows how many countries issuing driver's licences the Thai driver's licence department wants some 'independent' organization (e.g. AAA in the USA) to say "OK, this person's driver's license is OK in our jurisdiction".

Otherwise the Thai office will want to retest you on road rules and if you know how to drive a car. The International Permit fits a model that they are familiar with. A North Dakota or a Ukraine or Kenyan license does not.

You can get an International Drivers Permit from your home country by sending them a copy of your license. They will mail it to you here in BKK.

The Thai driver's licence bureau wants to see an International Driver's Permit along with your home country driver's license because it  (the IDP) vouches for the validy of your home driver's license. Wth 50 states in the US issuing driver's licenses and God only knows how many countries issuing driver's licences the Thai driver's licence department wants some 'independent' organization (e.g. AAA in the USA) to say "OK, this person's driver's license is OK in our jurisdiction".

Otherwise the Thai office will want to retest you on road rules and if you know how to drive a car. The International Permit fits a model that they are familiar with. A North Dakota or a Ukraine or Kenyan license does not.

You can get an International Drivers Permit from your home country by sending them a copy of your license. They will mail it to you here in BKK.

I should have added that this is necessary only for your first one year driver's license. For your 5 year renewal you need not show your IDP as you already have shown your ability to drive and you already have a current Thai driver's license.

DC

The work permit actually acts as the address confirmation, so if you are a holder of the blue book it will be sufficient. The work permit have two addresses: 1. Work place addresss. 2. Residential addresss.

That is a good point! However, the BKK office always asks for the consular notarized form....probably best to call first. Safest is to bring both.

In smaller cities away from BKK you can also get a letter conf. residency from the local police or amphur office. Show them a tabien ban and they'll issue the letter for that add. Just a little tip or free. Way cheaper than going to BKK embassy.

In smaller cities away from BKK you can also get a letter conf. residency from the local police or amphur office. Show them a tabien ban and they'll issue the letter for that add. Just a little tip or free. Way cheaper than going to BKK embassy.

In the smaller cities you better check with the License Office first. I tried the Residence Confirmation from the Amphur office last year. The Bua Yai License Office would not accept it and insisted that for a foreigner, the letter must come from the Embassy of that foreigner. That's why I didn't get back around to getting my licenses until March of this year (waited for that dreaded trip to Bangkok to go to the Embassy). Again, TIT. :o

Ken,

If you are situated in Korat,why are you going to Bua Yai.

Only 2 km's outside Korat city center is the office of min.of transport.

I brought u.o. my Amphur confirmation of residence and it was accepted without questioning.

Next time I bring my yellow tabien baan with me.

Amphur provided me with it to avoid being busy with continious requests about residency confirmation(that's what he said)

Ken,

If you are situated in Korat,why are you going to Bua Yai.

Only 2 km's outside Korat city center is the office of min.of transport.

I brought u.o. my Amphur confirmation of residence and it was accepted without questioning.

Next time I bring my yellow tabien baan with me.

Amphur provided me with it to avoid being busy with continious requests about residency confirmation(that's what he said)

Because I'm not in Korat City or a close suburb. I live in a village 80 km northwest of Korat and our District office for Driving License is Bua Yai, another 46 km from me.

And yea, I know Korat City License Office accepts the local Amphur paper, because I know another Farang who did it there. That's why I tried it at my District Office, and they said, in their polite Thai way, "absolutely not, only paper from embassy". They said they didn't care what the Korat Office does. :o I wasn't so happy that day. But we get over these things. :D

A great resource Corkscrew. Very well crafted. Many thanks.

Thank you. But I could have formatted it better.

My experience was only with the DL office near the night market. I got both my one year and five year licenses there. Some members have experienced different local rules.

Wow, I guess I lucked out or being a woman married to a thai is different, because I didn't do half of what you guys had to do to get a drivers license.

CDL and passport that's it. Oh did have the doctors exam (what a scam) and paid a few baht for the license, but nothing like what you all paid.

Beachbunny

Wow, I guess I lucked out or being a woman married to a thai is different, because I didn't do half of what you guys had to do to get a drivers license. 

CDL and passport that's it. Oh did have the doctors exam (what a scam) and paid a few baht for the license, but nothing like what you all paid.

Beachbunny

A man's life is always so much harder. :o

Joking, of course.

You are 'unusual' on this forum. Glad you are here.

Beachbunny

Trust me here. The license fee is the same for all comers.

I just renewed my Thai car and motorcycle licenses at Mochit (BKK) and my experience was similar to Corkscrew's.

I got the residence certificate from the US Embassy, tried keep the original and give the license bureau two copies... No deal, they insisted on the original and one copy.

The lady that processed my renewal also wanted a copy of my last re-entry stamp, in addition to the first page and visa page of my pp. I'm single so no "Thai wife" stamp required.

All in all, pretty easy and she issued me the five year license, which expires on my birthday, so I actually received 5.5 years.

Yes, my one-year licenses were six days expired :o

Lance

The Samutprakan office didn't ask for another address confirmation (only needed that for my first one-year licence) but as has been mentioned that is probably because of the work permit.

The Doc is right too - just the standard fees across the board.