Marrying A Thai In England

Here's an unusual one.

I married my wife at the amphur nearly 10 years ago and we have lived together

here in Khon Kaen ever since.

One of her "friends" has told her that our marriage is not recognised in the UK and

that she will get nothing when I die.

I have reassured her, and even shown her the relevant part of the UK Embassy

website that covers this. But a Thai "friend's" word carries more weight than

the UK Embassy website.

So, would it be possible for us to marry in a civil ceremony at a register office in

the UK when we are already legally married to one another?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so many Indian couples from the Uk fly back to India get married there.

Then fly back to the UK and have a registery office wedding,

so I cant see why not.

Anyone know different its a good question ...colino

If your already married in Thailand and registered your marriage at the amphur you would have the Thai marriage certificate for proof.and that is a legal document which is recognised at the UK embassy and is legal and binding contract.It's up to you both if you want to get married in the UK again there's nothing stopping you.

What's stopping you from marrying each other again in the UK is the law!

As you have legally married in Thailand then you are also legally married in the UK; you cannot marry again in the UK unless you divorce each other first.

If you had just had the religious ceremony then as this is not recognised as a legal marriage in Thailand then it would also not be recognised as such in the UK; but registering the marriage at an ampur makes the marriage legal Thailand and therefore in the UK as well.

What you could do is reconfirm your vows at a registry office, church etc., but this would not be a marriage, no entry would be made in the register and you would not get a certificate.

One of her "friends" has told her that our marriage is not recognised in the UK and

the UK Embassy website.

"Stupidity can only take you so far in life."

The problem is your wife. She is the one that needs fixing. The solution is for you to educate her on matter of legal laws as it pertains to marriage.

I am so sorry to put it this way but it has been from personal experiences when dealing with people who don't want to know any better. I often challenge people to provide proof when dealing with matter similar to this situation. You have provided her proof that legal Thai marriage is recognized in the UK. Now it is her turn to get proof from her friend that contradicts your proof. You might want to let her know also that it is okey to be educated once in a while. (I am still being educated every day.)

the UK Embassy website.

"Stupidity can only take you so far in life."

The problem is your wife. She is the one that needs fixing. The solution is for you to educate her on matter of legal laws as it pertains to marriage.

I am so sorry to put it this way but it has been from personal experiences when dealing with people who don't want to know any better. I often challenge people to provide proof when dealing with matter similar to this situation. You have provided her proof that legal Thai marriage is recognized in the UK. Now it is her turn to get proof from her friend that contradicts your proof. You might want to let her know also that it is okey to be educated once in a while. (I am still being educated every day.)

Yes I agree. My wife and I married whilst she was studying as a student in England and the only obvious advantage is that in the event of any mrarital breakdown she stands to do far better by being able to more easily divorce in the UK where a court will probanly award her a far greater proportion of our joint net worth than in Thailand where divorce ettlements are heavily weighted in favour of the male. If after 10 years of marriage she's still preferring to listen to one of her 'village' friends than you, even though you can substantiate what you say with evidence from the Embassy I wouldn't be wanting to marry her too quickly anywhere, Thailand or the UK! I'd be thinking about a prenupt if I were you.

Have you a legal will? If not you should arrange to have one for your assets in Thailand and a separate one for your UK assets. If you were to divorce you then rewrite your will.

A lot of Thais think that as a divorcee of their previous husband they can claim on the death of their previous spouses estate. That is why it is important to have a valid will.

When you divorce she has no claim on your estate on your death, unless she is provided for in a legal will.

If you die interstate there is a fixed formula for distribution of assets, and your estate has to go for probate first anyway, but this may not be the case in Thailand, eg bank accounts etc.

First of all are you talking about your current assets? If you are legally married then she will automatically het everything unless you leave a will distributing your assets otherwise.

Whether this will include assets in the UK or just Thailand I can't tell you.

If however you are talking about pensions then it will be better if you both go to the UK, with a translated copy of your marriage certificate, and get her a National Insurance Number. If you are already on a pension you will get the married persons amount (not sure but around 200 pounds per month extra) and she will be able to get her penaion following your death.

The timing of this varies though depending on your ages. They make her wait until she reaches a certain age. The British Embassy can tell you this.

"One of her "friends" has told her that our marriage is not recognised in the UK and

that she will get nothing when I die."

What old tosh. You can take a girl out of the farm, but...

As others have said, your marriage is already perfectly legal (assuming it was the full amphur monty). It is utterly irrelevant where you were married in terms of UK law and because you are already legally married, you can't therefore marry again to please the "friend".

You should also tell the "friend" that your wife will inherit all of your assets under UK law if you predecease her by virtue of being married to you. There is no need for a will as far as your wife is concerned. Were you to get divorced in the UK there would naturally have to be a divorce settlement (or court order) in terms of finance which would provide for her before the Decree Absolute was granted. Pensions can be taken into account for this finance. Your wife is therefore solidly protected in terms of finance under UK law.

Edited by paully

Sarahsbloke: I think you might have cracked it! (Although you are not automatically given a UK certificate in exchange)

We have not deposited a certificate with the UK Embassy for onward forwarding to the Rigistrar General in the UK because it's not necessary and it's expensive too.

But in this case it might be necessary. I will check with the embassy if when we have lodged the certificate and apply for a copy, is the copy produced with the details written on a UK wedding certificate, or is it literally a copy of the Thai one. An interesting point.

I'll report back.

I have checked with the Registrar General website and if you deposit your Thai wedding certificate with them via the UK Embassy, then when you ask for a copy of it you get exactly that, a certified copy of the original Thai certificate. The details are NOT copied onto a UK wedding certificate form.

I hope dmax is correct and we can marry again in the UK, that's the next thing I'll check on.

As said before:-

You cannot marry again in the UK because as far as UK law is concerned you are already married!

This is nothing new; it dates back to the Foreign Marriages Act of 1892!

Any couple who have legally married abroad, according to the law of the country where the marriage took place, and then marry again in the UK have technically committed bigamy; unless they divorced each other between the ceremonies.

As said before:-

You cannot marry again in the UK because as far as UK law is concerned you are already married!

This is nothing new; it dates back to the Foreign Marriages Act of 1892!

Any couple who have legally married abroad, according to the law of the country where the marriage took place, and then marry again in the UK have technically committed bigamy; unless they divorced each other between the ceremonies.

Have a "blessing" in the UK, give her a copy of the wedding certificate and she won't know the difference! :):D

RAZZ

Indeed, they cannot get marreid again. What they can do, if they didn't do so already, is to notify the British government of the marriage so it gets logged in the UK as well. That can be helpfull in the future, when both want to live in the UK or when the day comes the UK-spouse dies.

The advantage is that the marriage is recorded in the UK as well and cab be confirmed by the British registrar. If you don't do that the marriage is still valid in the UK, but everytime you need to proof it to the British govrenment you need to have it translated and than legalized by the British embassy in Bangkok.

The advantage is that the marriage is recorded in the UK as well and cab be confirmed by the British registrar.

With respect, Mario, not quite right.

As lungbing found out, all using the consular service to deposit a foreign marriage certificate with the GRO does is just that; it deposits a copy. Yes, it does mean that you can at a later date obtain a certified copy of the certificate from them (which if you are in the UK would probably be easier than getting a copy from the ampur where you married); but it does not record the marriage in the UK and so the marriage cannot be confirmed by a UK registrar.

every time you need to proof it to the British government you need to have it translated and than legalized by the British embassy in Bangkok

Not in our experience.

We had one translation done in Bangkok, and this was certified as a true translation by the translation agency only. We keep this copy safe with the originals and over the last 9 years have used it every time we have had cause to do so in the UK; no problem, ever.

Same with my wife and step-daughter's birth certificates.

If one is concerned, then one could have the translation certified by the MFA or the embassy; but, unless you lose it, that one translation is enough.

I emailed the Superintendent Registrar ( responsible for civil weddings) in my home city in England and received this reply.

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are already lawfully married to each other, the ceremony you propose will have no legal effect and will inevitably cast doubts upon the validity of the marriage which you have already contracted. It is therefore not a desirable step to take.

Also to marry in this country if you are not british or from an EEA country your wife would need permission to marry, this would be in the form of a marriage/fiance visa. As you are already married you wife would not be given a fiance visa but a spouse visa and this does not allow you to marry as assumes you are already married.

If you would like to discuss this further please ring me on xxxx xxxxxxx.

(name)

Deputy Superintendent Registrar

unquote

So it's time alone will persuade her. ie when I drop dead and she does get a pension.

But I won't be here to say "I bloody well told you that"!

Also to marry in this country if you are not british or from an EEA country your wife would need permission to marry, this would be in the form of a marriage/fiance visa.

With respect to the person who answered your enquiry; this permission to marry could also be a certificate of approval (obtained from the Home Office if already in the UK) or a marriage visit visa (obtained from a British embassy if outside the UK). Neither of which would be possible to get if one were already legally married.

• 2 weeks later...

As you have legally married in Thailand then you are also legally married in the UK; you cannot marry again in the UK unless you divorce each other first.

If you had just had the religious ceremony then as this is not recognised as a legal marriage in Thailand then it would also not be recognised as such in the UK; but registering the marriage at an ampur makes the marriage legal Thailand and therefore in the UK as well.

What you could do is reconfirm your vows at a registry office, church etc., but this would not be a marriage, no entry would be made in the register and you would not get a certificate.

I promise I am not stalking :)

I married my wife in the Amphor in Thailand in 2001, along with a religious ceremony a while later. We got married in the UK in a registrars office in 2003 - in fact my Mum married us as she is the local registrar! We hold certs in both countries and I assure you, it IS legal. Indeed, one of our guests in the UK was my Mum's boss and she acted as witness! My wife also married whilst on a 10 year visit visa.

We have 2 copies of both certs. Indeed, the reason we got married is that my mates and family didn't make it to the Thai wedding, so we wanted to get married in the UK and also for my Ma to marry us. The best man is the only person who made it to them all and his speech reflected that.

So, I have to disagree with the posts above - we are living proof and with the family connection, its hard to doubt it!

Anyways, Ive always fancied a Vegas drive through, I wonder what the deal would be for that as the 4th?

Edited by Desertexile

Just means (hope it never happens) that you will have to get divorced in both countries as well..yes...

anyway as said...hope etc..

Well, I hope not. We have been together since I was 22, through poverty, affluence, adventures and headfuc_ks. She's my best mate. Now Im grey and she's getting leathery :)

I promise I am not stalking :)

I married my wife in the Amphor in Thailand in 2001, along with a religious ceremony a while later. We got married in the UK in a registrars office in 2003 - in fact my Mum married us as she is the local registrar! We hold certs in both countries and I assure you, it IS legal. Indeed, one of our guests in the UK was my Mum's boss and she acted as witness! My wife also married whilst on a 10 year visit visa.

We have 2 copies of both certs. Indeed, the reason we got married is that my mates and family didn't make it to the Thai wedding, so we wanted to get married in the UK and also for my Ma to marry us. The best man is the only person who made it to them all and his speech reflected that.

So, I have to disagree with the posts above - we are living proof and with the family connection, its hard to doubt it!

Anyways, Ive always fancied a Vegas drive through, I wonder what the deal would be for that as the 4th?

I would have thought your Mum would have known the law!

RAZZ

Desertexile,

When my wife first arrived in the UK in 2001 she wanted to marry again here, so I contacted our local registry office and was told by them that as we had already married in Thailand we could not marry again in the UK. We could have a ceremony, but this would not be a marriage, we would not sign the register and we would not get a certificate.

A couple of years later that information was confirmed on another forum by a highly qualified and experienced lawyer.

Therefore, with respect to your mum, I believe she was wrong.

However, if you can provide a link to an official government site that proves me wrong, then I will of course accept that it is so.

P.S. Current rules say that to marry in the UK if here as a visitor, one first has to obtain a certificate of approval (unless one has a marriage visit visa). See What is a certificate of approval?