Anyone Test Drive The New Nissan March Yet?

We stopped by briefly at the Nissan dealer today, looked at the car and got the pricing details etc.. It is a sharp little micro hatchback, similar to a small jazz. The wife wants the copper colored one to rip around the small sois like a bat out of hel_l. Thinking of buying it for fun.

We'll go test drive it on Saturday and report back, but meanwhile anybody drive this yet?

250px-NissanMic2.jpg250px-NissanMic1.jpg

I agree it's interesting. Starting price is 375,000 for something not much smaller (if any) than a Toyota Yaris. I'm quite tall but could sit in the March comfortably with enough space on all sides; more comfortably even than in the slightly larger Tiida.

Part of the reason that it's cheap is the government support for small eco cars, adn the small (but very efficient) 1.2 liter engine. However they also seem to have cut significant corners from the looks of it. Now, I only saw the base cheapo model but on that one the seats, if you can call them that, are really quite ridiculous. Super soft, thin and foamy. The interior panels look reasonably solid though. The sales guy told me that the higher priced models (450 or so) do have normal seats. Haven't checked that myself.

Another thing.. I closed the hood/bonnet.. It didn't quite close completely from dropping it down, so I then gently but firmly pressed down with two fists to push it shut.. This action actually dented it slightly!! (Visible under some angles from the light reflecting on the slight indentation I made...) So the metal bits do seem pretty flimsy, and that'd apply to all models.

Verdict... if you're looking for a city car and can afford an additional 150K then you probably get significantly more car with a Honda Jazz.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I don't have the details handy, but I can tell you after seeing both in person, the March is a much more substantial car, in the 425,000 Baht version and above. It's really close in size and features to the Yaris.

Moreover, nobody wants to buy a Proton in the used car market, not only in Thailand, but also in Malaysia and Singapore as well. It's a crap car. Additionally, 85% of the Nissan March car parts are made locally, so it's a no brainer to see this car will be ultra cheap to maintain and repair.

No contest between March and Proton or the other Micros. The real contest is between March and how much it may erode sales of Jazz, Yaris, Mazda 2, etc., given that it's 200,000 Baht cheaper more or less....

I don't have the details handy, but I can tell you after seeing both in person, the March is a much more substantial car, in the 425,000 Baht version and above. It's really close in size and features to the Yaris.

Moreover, nobody wants to buy a Proton in the used car market, not only in Thailand, but also in Malaysia and Singapore as well. It's a crap car. Additionally, 85% of the Nissan March car parts are made locally, so it's a no brainer to see this car will be ultra cheap to maintain and repair.

No contest between March and Proton or the other Micros. The real contest is between March and how much it may erode sales of Jazz, Yaris, Mazda 2, etc., given that it's 200,000 Baht cheaper more or less....

Well said...

March is enticing, but still doubts on quality and strength of car.

Yaris on other hand is an Toyota assurance, strong and less maintenance is already proven.

March can only march in Thai roads unless it prove its maintenance is affordable and reliable... we love green..but can't get Red on money in maintenance...

The "engine hood" can be an issue. I did try it at one of the dealers, but I managed to close it from a "reasonable" height. I'm sure they'll fix this issue.

Maintenance wise.. check out the Nissan website and it has the maintenance/parts cost all planned out (http://www.nissan.co.th/march/main.html),

very similar to Honda's website (http://www.honda.co.th/owner/service-parts.php) on all their vehicles...

...does Toyota have one?... i don't recall Toyota posting their operating cost or oil change costs online... please post a link if you can find one.

As for I... booked a spot in line to get a March automatic CVT by June.

Yes, I just looked at that model and I have to agree. It has proper seats, and just about any option you'd expect on a modern car is there (or available).

Agreed. And, any other 'eco' car that others may come up with. My feeling is that Nissan will sell a boatload of these cars, so Toyota and Honda will want to get a slice of the government supported pie as well. Exciting.

As for the March, I may end up getting one for the Mrs., but will wait for them to iron out any bugs, and for the CVT / auto box version to

become available.

Yes, I just looked at that model and I have to agree. It has proper seats, and just about any option you'd expect on a modern car is there (or available).

Agreed. And, any other 'eco' car that others may come up with. My feeling is that Nissan will sell a boatload of these cars, so Toyota and Honda will want to get a slice of the government supported pie as well. Exciting.

As for the March, I may end up getting one for the Mrs., but will wait for them to iron out any bugs, and for the CVT / auto box version to

become available.

Looked at the 425k March yesterday in Phuket. Impressing. Unit no 525, si I d wait to take delivery for 2 months to let them make some thousand units first

The dealer told us delivery of the 425,000 Model in any color is only two weeks. I don't know whether it's true, but they told us production is really ramped up on the March and availability will not be any problem. Of course, we know the auto tranny will not ship until June. I'll see if I can get delivery info from Nissan at the auto show this weekend in BKK.

The dealer told us delivery of the 425,000 Model in any color is only two weeks. I don't know whether it's true, but they told us production is really ramped up on the March and availability will not be any problem. Of course, we know the auto tranny will not ship until June. I'll see if I can get delivery info from Nissan at the auto show this weekend in BKK.

Best delivery time for automatic cvt delivery is June, I believe this to be true. I've had "earger" sales person tell me that it will be delivered sooner.... I believe June is the best bet.