The Current / Annual Pollution From Fires

scorecard

Awesome ! Thread #12 on the pollution. I can almost smell #20.

And logic would give you that... vast regional and local fires, in the dry season burn quite readily, smoking up the sky. If you imagine that it takes some continued sessions of rain, wind, and storms to clear it out, and then that Songkran is in the hottest, driest period of summer, then you would conclude that no, the air isn't clean until later in the year, ie the Rainy Season. This will take awhile. Could start in April. But May or June more likely for truly clear skies to return to us.

Thia visa weather , which has been remarkably accurate, although the falls in some areas were sparse, is predicting some precipitation activity on Sunday and then clearing. At least three days of solid rain is required and little chance of that I would suggest until after Songkran. Its up to local Thais to lobby for stricter burning controls ,we can talk about until the cows come home but it wont make a scrap of difference.

And a bad memory, unfortunately.

I join those who wish people would NOT use TV Chiang Mai to vent before they check to see what has been posted on this topic, which is indeed a serious one. Unfortunately, the very serious topic of air pollution in Chiang Mai is NOT discussed here. Enough said?

Edited by Mapguy

And a bad memory, unfortunately.

I join those who wish people would NOT use TV Chiang Mai to vent before they check to see what has been posted on this topic, which is indeed a serious one. Unfortunately, the very serious topic of air pollution in Chiang Mai is NOT discussed here. Enough said?

Do'nt forget those evil cigarette smokers and clouds of life theatening second hand smoke. :)

Yes, even in the worst year in recent history, everything was back to normal early April. You can check the PCD site, detailed information by date is available.

To be honest, I think we're done for this year. I'm giving it a few more days and then I was planning a summary post; working title: "Where are the air drama queens now? :) " (Though the post will be far less confrontational than the title; got to get the readers in after all in what will be topic #13 on the same old crap we discuss every March.)

The Denialists/Apologists versus the Drama Queens. It would make a great reality show.

How about just discussing a clearly recognized health problem without considering it a personal attack on the country or culture?

I just wonder out loud why this has to be such an overly defensive problem to discuss.

Thailand has made lots of changes in the recent decades like opium eradication, marijuana and meth crackdown, infectious disease programs, child prostitution crackdown, human trafficking and many others. It's not impossible that Thailand could change again and become even better.

"The only constant is change" --- Heraclitus

If Thailand can overcome the opium growers who had a lot more economic incentive then they can make a change with people who like to set things on fire who only marginally derive economic benefit from the practice.

Just recently in the news China has announced it will phase out the practice of eating of cats and dogs. It will not happen overnight but it's a positive step. That change was in large part caused from outside criticism and in the long run will help China's image and respect.

The Thai govt has already stated the problem many times and indicated an interest in addressing it. Now what the govt needs is for citizens, residents and even outsiders to continue the pressure to give those in authority the ammunition and courage to continue and improve these efforts. Inside the Thai govt just as in this forum there are those who would do nothing by ignoring the issue and those who would like positive growth and change.

Really why let up now when Thailand could follow thru and become a better place?

• 3 weeks later...
If Thailand can overcome the opium growers who had a lot more economic incentive then they can make a change with people who like to set things on fire who only marginally derive economic benefit from the practice.

Agreed, that's the way to solve the problem. Pay the hill tribes to prevent fires in their forest (in a reward scheme, e.g. no fires this year and you receive forest protection money at the start of the rainy season). I bet it wouldn't take very much money.

Apologists must be old and/or heavy smokers. Otherwise, I mean come on, jeez. Whats there to discuss when PM-10 hit 520 this year in MHS, 120 being the "safe" level. If there ever was a case of prevention over treatment of lung diseases, that is it.

~ from my exile in Samui where the air is clear

There is no doubt the so-called air pollution season is longer this year than the last three years (just my observation)...

Still a lot of haze and the burning continues. Heavy smell at night...

I am hoping for a May date when the skies return to normal (for westerners)...

Everyone should be hoping for rain for many reasons..

CB