Moving To Chiang Mai With Dog

Hi

Please don't say - here we go again, and I sincerely hope this topic isn't annoying for most as I'm fairly sure this sort of topic has been covered several times.

We are permanently moving to Chiang Mai at the end of May, and I would like to find out how much it cost you to get your dog through the animal importation people in Chiang Mai (not the plane trip, etc. though), and how much, if any, trouble you had getting the dog through from unloading to freedom. I have all the paperwork needed and so don't anticipate any problems, but I've heard some stories about how much one agent will charge compared to another - I'd like to be prepared in the event that the agent we end up with really tries to throw us under the bus as far as importation taxes for the dog go. We'll be arriving in Chiang Mai with a retirement visa as well - and maybe? that'll make a difference?

My dog is a 6 year old shitzu/bichon cross and will have to travel in the plane as excess baggage because he's over the weight and size limit for travel in the passenger compartment.

We're stressed out a lot about getting our dog to CM because of the plane trip, and any advice and or suggestions will be extremely appreciated.

PG

It's difficult to answer that question. I know of a person who brought her big dogs, mixed and pure bred, and paid 100 baht per dog. That was in Bangkok. Another person brought 3 mixed breeds (about 20-25 kilo each); for the first two she didn't need to pay anything and for the third one she needed to pay 400 baht after a lot of arguing. Then last week a person brought her 2 mix large mixed breeds for which she needed to pay nearly 25,000 baht (for both), although the dogs didn't come as excess luggage but as cargo, and last month someone brought her 15 kilo pure bred and she needed to pay quite a large amount of money as well. Last year someone needed to pay 45,000 baht for the dog. They said they took as guideline 30% of the market value of the dogs or something. Answer was actually quite vague. Last four examples were in Chiang Mai.

Better to have quite some cash in your pocket and/or be prepared to argue for hours. Best is to arrive in the early morning hours and not on Friday. So far I've understood Customs (for pets) closes at 16.30.

Or declare your dog in Bangkok.

Wishing you good luck and a save trip. :)

It's difficult to answer that question. I know of a person who brought her big dogs, mixed and pure bred, and paid 100 baht per dog. That was in Bangkok. Another person brought 3 mixed breeds (about 20-25 kilo each); for the first two she didn't need to pay anything and for the third one she needed to pay 400 baht after a lot of arguing. Then last week a person brought her 2 mix large mixed breeds for which she needed to pay nearly 25,000 baht (for both), although the dogs didn't come as excess luggage but as cargo, and last month someone brought her 15 kilo pure bred and she needed to pay quite a large amount of money as well. Last year someone needed to pay 45,000 baht for the dog. They said they took as guideline 30% of the market value of the dogs or something. Answer was actually quite vague. Last four examples were in Chiang Mai.

Better to have quite some cash in your pocket and/or be prepared to argue for hours. Best is to arrive in the early morning hours and not on Friday. So far I've understood Customs (for pets) closes at 16.30.

Thanks again. We should be arriving around 11 AM on a Tues. so hopefully the timing will work out. The vet will fill out the form to say he's a mixed breed, which he is. I'm going to leave the arguing to my husband and I'll get the car - that way there won't be any tears, etc. from me. I just hope they both don't end up in quarantine or lockup - LOL (just kidding because I really am nervous about this from what I've read on TV).

Where are you actualloy coming from?

Calgary, Canada

I would strongly advise using an agent as it can be very confusing and can take up to 8 hours as it did when I first brought dogs into Bangkok. I have subsequently used and recommended to many - T.M.T. Co. a Mr. Tapedermkiat - on +66 81-814 7707. Their charges are very reasonable and they will see you through with the minimum of fuss.

Hi again

Just an update - I just found out that because we are going through Taipei, and even though our dog is going as excess baggage, we would also need to use an Application for Transit in Taipei - otherwise, the dog would have been put into quarantine. It has to be sent to them at least one week before hand. This probably applies to a lot of other countries.

i think the previous poster was referring to the tears of the manipulative, not genuine tears of frustration or sadness.

however, he/she may be right, if u dont get satisfaction from a situation, a bit of a 'tearjob' will usually shame the 'antagonist' into being slightly more considerate.

however, as u may be dealing with 'officials' i wouldn't advise this course of action as 'they' seem to LIKE IT..

especially if ur a boy which ur not.

Best of luck.

ef

and just so u know, the visitation rights of a father to his new born child is 'worth' 3 million baht.(verified by friendly po-lice)

NO JOB/BAHT = NO ACCESS TO SON. for 4 years so far..

AND I CRIED.

but im a boy. they liked it.

Edited by edgarfriendly

I moved to Chiang Mai from the US last October with my beagle. I also had a layover in Taipei (flew on EVA Air), but I didn't have any additional paperwork to fill out for the dog for stopping there. You shouldn't either, I don't think, unless you're actually gaining access to your dog during your layover. I entered Thailand in BKK, which I would highly recommend over CNX if all I'm reading above has happened in CNX! Landing in BKK was a dream - they brought my dog out to the luggage carousel for my flight in baggage claim, then I wheeled her over to the government vet office which is right next to baggage claim. I showed them my paperwork, they asked me a few questions, made me fill out more paperwork, charged me 150 baht, and sent me on my way. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. Once we were in the country, there was no need to redo the process in CNX, of course. A few days later when we flew up here to CNX, I simply gave the dog in her carrier to the air staff, then received her at the other end of the flight. Nothing to fill out, nothing to pay. Easy :) (Although I'm sure the dog didn't think so!!!)

Please feel free to PM me, or any of the other pet lovers who've responded, I'm sure we're all happy to help. Good luck, and welcome to Chiang Mai!

I moved to Chiang Mai from the US last October with my beagle. I also had a layover in Taipei (flew on EVA Air), but I didn't have any additional paperwork to fill out for the dog for stopping there. You shouldn't either, I don't think, unless you're actually gaining access to your dog during your layover. I entered Thailand in BKK, which I would highly recommend over CNX if all I'm reading above has happened in CNX! Landing in BKK was a dream - they brought my dog out to the luggage carousel for my flight in baggage claim, then I wheeled her over to the government vet office which is right next to baggage claim. I showed them my paperwork, they asked me a few questions, made me fill out more paperwork, charged me 150 baht, and sent me on my way. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. Once we were in the country, there was no need to redo the process in CNX, of course. A few days later when we flew up here to CNX, I simply gave the dog in her carrier to the air staff, then received her at the other end of the flight. Nothing to fill out, nothing to pay. Easy :) (Although I'm sure the dog didn't think so!!!)

Please feel free to PM me, or any of the other pet lovers who've responded, I'm sure we're all happy to help. Good luck, and welcome to Chiang Mai!

Hi

Interesting that I've come across this permit thing for Taipei. China Air was very positive that I would need it - so I faxed it to the people in Taipei and they sent a confirming email back with a permit number, etc. I don't know, maybe I can access the dog in Taipei because of this - when I asked originally, they said no??????? Poor little guy is going to be on a 12+ hour flight to Taipei then another 4 hours to Chiang Mai and he'll be in the cage the whole time. I hope I can get access to him in Taipei - I'll get that straightened out at the airport. The reason I've sent this info on the permit when transiting an animal is because it came as a total surprise to me - I had no idea that we would need a special permit and found this out quite by accident while having a conversation with China Air's airmiles people.

Sorry I doubt that will happen. I have done that flight with dogs 3-4 at a time. There is not way they will let you visit them. The flight is long.. but dogs tend to handle it better than most humans. Dogs really have not concept of that time factor. Your dog will be fine. Only you will be the one worried and i am here to set you straight.. DO NOT WORRY.. it will be fine!

Call me when you arrive and I can help you find a suitable vet as many are just pill pushers and don't seem to be what you would expect. The vets are very inexpensive here. And a good speaking Thai doctor may cost you more than you think.

Also I can tell you would NOT to board your dog with.. There are several boarding places I have heard you need to not even bother to visit. I have more than 30 adult dogs I care for daily and not more than 60 at any given day during the puppy season. I do not board dogs.. but I know where you may consider if you want to board one.

Where are you going to live in CM will somewhat determine what vet and where you want to go to board if you travel a lot.?

Have a pleasant trip on China Air.. I did it once and I personally would never do it again..

Justr send me a private email and I can tell you what I have learned in living here in CM the past 16 years.

• 1 month later...
Sorry I doubt that will happen. I have done that flight with dogs 3-4 at a time. There is not way they will let you visit them. The flight is long.. but dogs tend to handle it better than most humans. Dogs really have not concept of that time factor. Your dog will be fine. Only you will be the one worried and i am here to set you straight.. DO NOT WORRY.. it will be fine!

Call me when you arrive and I can help you find a suitable vet as many are just pill pushers and don't seem to be what you would expect. The vets are very inexpensive here. And a good speaking Thai doctor may cost you more than you think.

Also I can tell you would NOT to board your dog with.. There are several boarding places I have heard you need to not even bother to visit. I have more than 30 adult dogs I care for daily and not more than 60 at any given day during the puppy season. I do not board dogs.. but I know where you may consider if you want to board one.

Where are you going to live in CM will somewhat determine what vet and where you want to go to board if you travel a lot.?

Have a pleasant trip on China Air.. I did it once and I personally would never do it again..

Justr send me a private email and I can tell you what I have learned in living here in CM the past 16 years.

Well - we are about to leave for Chiang Mai and I thought I would quickly share what has transpired for my trip with my dog there. As of late last week, the China Airline we're were booked on (3 months ago) out of Taipei has downsized and the dog can no longer fly directly to Chiang Mai. I now have been rerouted to Bangkok then to Chiang Mai. I have to say though that China Air worked very hard for us to get this accomplished - but here's the biggie. The dog and I will be in Taipei for 7 hours - he'll be sitting in the holding area before he gets transferred to my plane to Bangkok! This is after the 13 hour flight to Taipei. And, all airlines flying directly to Chiang Mai and not through Bangkok have downsized so that there is no pressurized cabin in the cargo space for animals! This is all because of "no tourists" are travelling to Thailand, or more to the point, very few tourists are travelling to Thailand. China Air of course would not agree to bending the rules a little and letting the "small" dog on their plane in the passenger area, but that didn't really surprise me. No amount of tears or rage would get them to change that rule. I may have talked them into getting me permission to go back to the holding area, or for them to bring the dog out of the holding area for a short period so we can be given some water, etc., but we'll see how that goes.

^^^^^^^

Yikes! That makes me a little nervous :) But I'm not a dog expert, I'm just someone who brought her own dog from Seattle to Bangkok via Taipei with a three-hour layover in Taipei. Maybe Nienke, or one of the other professional dog people on here, can weigh in?

The roughly 22 hours in the crate was pretty stressful for my dog. When we arrived in BKK, all of Sadie's water was gone. She either drank it all or it splashed out on the flight, or both. I bought 2 bottles of water at the nearest shop in the airport, and she drank them both down within a few minutes. I felt awful - if I had to do it again (and I will, if I ever move back to the states!), i will train her to drink out of one of those cage water bottles that look like a giant hamster water bottle (I've seen dogs here in pet stores drinking out of them). She was also a bit covered in urine and had pooped in her kennel.

I think the airlines are pretty adamant about not letting you get to the dog/cargo between flights because of the post 9/11 security regulations. But it's worth a try, I guess.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you and your pup. Please let us know how it all works out!

^^^^^^^

Yikes! That makes me a little nervous :) But I'm not a dog expert, I'm just someone who brought her own dog from Seattle to Bangkok via Taipei with a three-hour layover in Taipei. Maybe Nienke, or one of the other professional dog people on here, can weigh in?

The roughly 22 hours in the crate was pretty stressful for my dog. When we arrived in BKK, all of Sadie's water was gone. She either drank it all or it splashed out on the flight, or both. I bought 2 bottles of water at the nearest shop in the airport, and she drank them both down within a few minutes. I felt awful - if I had to do it again (and I will, if I ever move back to the states!), i will train her to drink out of one of those cage water bottles that look like a giant hamster water bottle (I've seen dogs here in pet stores drinking out of them). She was also a bit covered in urine and had pooped in her kennel.

I think the airlines are pretty adamant about not letting you get to the dog/cargo between flights because of the post 9/11 security regulations. But it's worth a try, I guess.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you and your pup. Please let us know how it all works out!

22 hours.. you must had left the USA from LAX.. That is at least 23 hours plus as I ship dogs to the states.

4 months is the age limit that one can ship to America or anywhere at does not require a blood test first like all of Europe. I personally feel 8 months is better.. as the older dog can handle it better..

Now, get this.. 43 hours from CM to IAD...cost of about 28,000 baht...or if a buyer really loves the new dog they are getting 23 hours to LAX and then a break.. maybe over night at Jet Pets and them on to IAD for an extra $950... just a deal..

How about that last shipment of two TRD from IAD to LAX to Sydney..for about $1200 each.... 46 hours from IAD.. (Washington DC) to Sydney...and the dogs are doing great as the first pair of TRD in the two countries down under..

post-56298-1274884072_thumb.jpg

post-56298-1274884139_thumb.jpg

I understand the 'tears thing'. allthough it wasnt an international flight we flew our dogs on a thai airways flight from phuket > bkk > CM. We flew via another airline the next day but had someone in CM waiting to collect our dogs.

We booked them on the 8am flight, so arrived at the airport early at 7am and waited outside the office. as the time got nearer to 8 no-one was at the office they told us to go to the day before so we called them up, and they said they will be with us soon to collect the dogs. Someone eventually turned up and we went to hand the dogs over, but they said we were too late...i was furious as they said the only next flight they could put the dogs on was one that had a 7 hour wait at BKK rather than a 1-2 hour wait (as they did not fly direct to cm).

annoyed we arrived early, rang them etc and worried about my dogs (they are like my babies, and i had never sent them via air before) the tears cam in frustration....2 minutes later they returned with there manager and said its ok they can put on the flight.

Im sure your experience will be fine, so dont worry, but IF you have any bother, sometimes the tears work for girls....a bit naughty I know and I do not make a habbit of it lol but in this case it did work.

I understand the 'tears thing'. allthough it wasnt an international flight we flew our dogs on a thai airways flight from phuket > bkk > CM. We flew via another airline the next day but had someone in CM waiting to collect our dogs.

We booked them on the 8am flight, so arrived at the airport early at 7am and waited outside the office. as the time got nearer to 8 no-one was at the office they told us to go to the day before so we called them up, and they said they will be with us soon to collect the dogs. Someone eventually turned up and we went to hand the dogs over, but they said we were too late...i was furious as they said the only next flight they could put the dogs on was one that had a 7 hour wait at BKK rather than a 1-2 hour wait (as they did not fly direct to cm).

annoyed we arrived early, rang them etc and worried about my dogs (they are like my babies, and i had never sent them via air before) the tears cam in frustration....2 minutes later they returned with there manager and said its ok they can put on the flight.

Im sure your experience will be fine, so dont worry, but IF you have any bother, sometimes the tears work for girls....a bit naughty I know and I do not make a habbit of it lol but in this case it did work.

If tears work, I'm using them! I think? I have the Taipei portion covered - they have spoken to the Taipei airport authority and they will allow me to go to the dog and feed and water him - I really raised a huge stink with the airline that they ended up being very very helpful - of course I have everything in writing and am willing to be angry again. I'm so tired of this though - all arrangements were made over 3 months ago and confirmed, and I've researched for over a year to do this. I know things change, but it wasn't so much the change as they weren't even going to tell me about the plane change until I got to Taipei - I was dealing with the airline on another matter last Thurs. when this came up, no warning, nothing! I would have been stuck in Taipei for how long trying to get out with the dog??????

Now he and I will hopefully arrive in Bangkok in one piece and then a quick hop over to Chiang Mai. I'm hoping the airline reprep will meet me at the airport in both Taipei and Bangkok to take me to where I need to be to get to the dog - we'll see. This little guy is like my baby too and if I get any hassels, there will be some swearing (does anyone know any swearing in Chinese :~)) Everything would have been fine if tourism wasn't down so much in Thailand - that's why they down-sized the plane. In less than a week I hope I'm laughing about all this. Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement.

I'm sorry to hear/read about all this. I'm glad you have been able to work it out with the Taipei airport authorities and they let you go to your dog. At least that is something.

It is advisable to put 2 drinking bottles on the crate; one with water and one with ice, which will melt over time. In such a way your dog has the whole flight access to water. I would wait with feeding the dog till arrival in Chiang Mai, though. Well toilet-trained dogs will hold up as long as they can to not litter in their crates. If a dog is fed just before or during the travel than changes are high s/he is going to have a big problem. Also I don't think it is pleasant for a dog (or human) when in turbulence with a full stomach.

A healthy dog can easily go without food for 24 hours, even 48 hours. Of course, it's no fun and it is not something that I would do on a regular basis, only during travel.

I wish you and your dog a safe flight.

I'm sorry to hear/read about all this. I'm glad you have been able to work it out with the Taipei airport authorities and they let you go to your dog. At least that is something.

It is advisable to put 2 drinking bottles on the crate; one with water and one with ice, which will melt over time. In such a way your dog has the whole flight access to water. I would wait with feeding the dog till arrival in Chiang Mai, though. Well toilet-trained dogs will hold up as long as they can to not litter in their crates. If a dog is fed just before or during the travel than changes are high s/he is going to have a big problem. Also I don't think it is pleasant for a dog (or human) when in turbulence with a full stomach.

A healthy dog can easily go without food for 24 hours, even 48 hours. Of course, it's no fun and it is not something that I would do on a regular basis, only during travel.

I wish you and your dog a safe flight.

Thanks for the advice Nienke - I'm putting a frozen deep bowl of water in the kennel and it'll be sitting in a nest of shredded paper plus I've got a water bottle that is generally used for water for caged animals - Ive been training him to lick that so that he'll get a few drops when he really needs it. He was crate trained when he was a puppy and is really good about holding for long periods if he has to. I won't be feeding him until we get to CM as our vet advised that, which makes sense. He's a good kid and I know it'll be rough on him, but I'm taking all precautions that I know of to make him more comfortable.

I'm not a dog expert, I'm just someone who brought her own dog from Seattle to Bangkok via Taipei with a three-hour layover in Taipei.

22 hours.. you must had left the USA from LAX.. That is at least 23 hours plus as I ship dogs to the states.

Now, get this.. 43 hours from CM to IAD...cost of about 28,000 baht...or if a buyer really loves the new dog they are getting 23 hours to LAX and then a break.. maybe over night at Jet Pets and them on to IAD for an extra $950... just a deal..

How about that last shipment of two TRD from IAD to LAX to Sydney..for about $1200 each.... 46 hours from IAD.. (Washington DC) to Sydney...and the dogs are doing great as the first pair of TRD in the two countries down under..

Hi Jack (and PearlGirl),

As my post states, I moved to Chiang Mai from Seattle Washington, not LA, about seven months ago and I brought my dog that I've had for 7.5 years. I didn't buy a dog and have it shipped to me.

I flew from Seattle to BKK via Taipei. Roughly 12.5 hours SEA to Taipei, a 3 hour layover, plus about 3.5 hours Taipei to BKK. I checked the dog in a couple of hours early, and got her back immediately after the flight came to BKK. So, yes, it was less than 22 hours from SEA to BKK. I stayed with a friend and her family for a few days, then packed up the dog again (she was NOT amused by that btw!) for the short domestic flight from BKK to CNX. Easy peasy.

It took Sadie about a month to chill out after all the drama. Of course it didn't help that my friend's Thai husband was TEASING my dog while we visited after the long flight - arrgh - and we got attacked by a couple of soi dogs while out walking. We've since learned our lessons about where we can walk!

But now it's seven months later and Sadie is really happy here. She loves to be in our yard (or garden as it's called in Thai), laying in the sun when it's not too hot, and chasing geckos, frogs, spiders, and roaches. She does a good job of keeping those last two out of the house, by the way! So she earns her keep :)

PearlGirl, I'm so glad they are letting you get to your dog between flights. I can't wait to read your next post that you are in Chiang Mai and your dog is here and doing fine! Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (JackSterling @ 2010-05-26 06:30:54) QUOTE (SadieMBeagle @ 2010-05-26 17:51:27) I'm not a dog expert, I'm just someone who brought her own dog from Seattle to Bangkok via Taipei with a three-hour layover in Taipei.

Hi Jack (and PearlGirl),

As my post states, I moved to Chiang Mai from Seattle Washington, not LA, about seven months ago and I brought my dog that I've had for 7.5 years. I didn't buy a dog and have it shipped to me.

I flew from Seattle to BKK via Taipei. Roughly 12.5 hours SEA to Taipei, a 3 hour layover, plus about 3.5 hours Taipei to BKK. I checked the dog in a couple of hours early, and got her back immediately after the flight came to BKK. So, yes, it was less than 22 hours from SEA to BKK. I stayed with a friend and her family for a few days, then packed up the dog again (she was NOT amused by that btw!) for the short domestic flight from BKK to CNX. Easy peasy.

It took Sadie about a month to chill out after all the drama. Of course it didn't help that my friend's Thai husband was TEASING my dog while we visited after the long flight - arrgh - and we got attacked by a couple of soi dogs while out walking. We've since learned our lessons about where we can walk!

But now it's seven months later and Sadie is really happy here. She loves to be in our yard (or garden as it's called in Thai), laying in the sun when it's not too hot, and chasing geckos, frogs, spiders, and roaches. She does a good job of keeping those last two out of the house, by the way! So she earns her keep biggrin.gif

PearlGirl, I'm so glad they are letting you get to your dog between flights. I can't wait to read your next post that you are in Chiang Mai and your dog is here and doing fine! Cheers!

Thought I would let everyone know that the trip was successful. We have been here now 2 weeks and th elittle guy is adjusting - he's always happy when he's with us, so that makes a big difference. The heat is another matter for him, but he'll soon adjust. The airlines were very cooperative between stopovers and even in Taipei I was able to get some water to him, and China Air let me have a peek at him to make sure he was ok. When we finally landed in Chiang Mai, his crate came off first and when I opened the door, he strolled out like it was nothing. And, Customs and Animal quaratine didn't charge me a fortune to get him through. All in all, a huge success. My suggestion to anyone travelling with their pets is to talk to anyone and everyone at all points of the trip - while waiting for the plane, talk to the boarding staff to make sure the animal is being placed on the plane, during layovers, talk to anyone of the airline staff that you think can help you out - I got a lot of good reception from everywhere so it woked out really well.