I Can't Get Thai Id Card Because?

I was born in bangkok, thailand in Feb. 1971. Both my parents are thai but I was told my dad died in the Veitnam war. My mother brought me, my half brother, and half sister to America but left my older bother and sister with relatives in thailand. She married a American and he brought us to America when I was 4. When I was 7 she left us and not seen her since. My America dad adopted me and now I am an natualized US Citizen. But I'm a Thai citizen too right? But I can't get a Thai ID card because I need to be registered by a relative in some book. I don't understand what that means. Have called many embassies in the U.S. and they all tell me different things. I have a thai birth certificate and it was registred on Aug 3, 1971 at the office of Tambol Ban Suan. What does that mean. Could someone explain to me why I can't still be a Thai citizen when I didn't choose to leave by choice. Don't get me wrong America has been good to me but I just want to go back to find my Thai family. Can someone help a lost thai???? :)

I think you could be in for a bit of a bumpy road. You will need to find your siblings first then get the services of a lawyer. Hopefully they were initially registered at the same Amphor office and they may, just may, have the original family book showing your initial registration, potential dual citizanship could be a problem as well.

Good luck!

Technically you are a Thai citizen by birth (both parents are Thai). BUT, while you are a citizen, it will be a difficult path to obtain proof of your citizenship. I left Thailand in 1978 and only finally got my Thai ID card in 2008. What you will need is 1. Birth Certificate from the local Thai area where you were born 2. You will need to be on a Tabien Bahn (Thai Housebook) that lists you as a resident of the house. When I got my Thai ID card I had to bring my mother with her Thai ID card. I was also required to take a DNA test to prove that she was my mother. And then at the office I had to have two Thai citizens testify that i was a Thai citizen.

Without your mother (or father) to sponsor you, it will be very difficult to obtain your Thai ID card.

You need someone, a Thai citizen who knows you, to vouch for your identity. This usually has to be family.

1) First thing you need to do is get a Thai passport. You can do this via the Thai embassy in Washington DC since you are living in the US. If there is a location closer to you in the US (a Thai consulate) where you can obtain a passport, they will let you know. You should be able to get a Thai passport in the US on the strength of having a Thai birth certificate and other US documentation which also proves your identity. Fly to Thailand and ENTER Thailand on your Thai passport.

The Thai passport will be a VERY handy piece of ID for later, when you go to the district office and try and get your ID.

2) What happens next regarding getting an ID really depends on what the district say. You should go to the one where you were registered when you were born. They are a bit of a law unto themselves with regards to interpreting rules. However, with the Thai passport and birth cetificate in hand, they will probably recommend that you hunt down a family member, of if that is not possible, ask them if you can get someone else to recommend you.

Now. A couple of tricks.

They will want to know whey you haven't registered for an ID card before this, as most people get their first one when they are 15 years of age.

Tell them you have been overseas living in the US. They might ask if you have US citizenship as well. Tell them you don't. (While having more than one nationality is PERFECTLY FINE under Thai law, most officials don't actually know this and may use this as an excuse to prevent you getting an ID card). In my case, I didn't get my first Thai ID until I turned 30. They asked me if I had dual nationality, to which I replied 'yes', however I had a 'smart' person doing the paperwork and they had the foresight to ring immigration to find out. However, not all officials will want to bother doing this, and may deny you out of hand based on this fact.

You need someone, a Thai citizen who knows you, to vouch for your identity. This usually has to be family.

1) First thing you need to do is get a Thai passport. You can do this via the Thai embassy in Washington DC since you are living in the US. If there is a location closer to you in the US (a Thai consulate) where you can obtain a passport, they will let you know. You should be able to get a Thai passport in the US on the strength of having a Thai birth certificate and other US documentation which also proves your identity. Fly to Thailand and ENTER Thailand on your Thai passport.

The Thai passport will be a VERY handy piece of ID for later, when you go to the district office and try and get your ID.

Here's their tel #, ask for the Consular Section:

Royal Thai Embassy

1024 Wisconsin Ave.

N.W. Washington D.C. 20007

Tel. (202) 944-3600 Fax. (202) 944-3611

Mac

I didn't know you could get a Thai passport without a Thai id card. But I do have a Thai birth certificate. That's a start i guess. :)

If applying within Thailand, you can't. That is more an administrative issue however. In your case, you'll likely have an ID number allocated to you though given your birth certificate.

However, outside of Thailand, you don't require an ID card/number. There are many Thai citizens who were born overseas, or who have moved overseas that simply don't have ID cards or their ID cards have expired because they have been away so long. However, as a Thai citizen, the embassy still can issue you a Thai passport.

Edited by samran

Is the potential for having to enter the draw for call up to military service applicable here?

He is older than 30 years already. But if he wasn't, he would have to enter the draw in the amphur where he is registerd As he isn't registered in any amphur he cannot do that.

I also need to get my Thai passport. So far I've been getting told by the consulate here in the US that I first need my Thai ID card! I told them I have copy of my Thai BC but that was mostly ignored. It seems I may have to go to Thailand on my US passport and get paperwork done there to first obtain my Thai ID card and then get the Thai passport situation sorted out. But that's good to know that if I am asked about what passport I already have on me, that I should not mention about having US nationality already.

I also need to get my Thai passport. So far I've been getting told by the consulate here in the US that I first need my Thai ID card! I told them I have copy of my Thai BC but that was mostly ignored. It seems I may have to go to Thailand on my US passport and get paperwork done there to first obtain my Thai ID card and then get the Thai passport situation sorted out. But that's good to know that if I am asked about what passport I already have on me, that I should not mention about having US nationality already.

Siam99

Well, if blocked by one consulate, use another one or contact the Thai embassy in D.C.

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles, CA

611 North Larchmont Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90004

(323) 962-9574-77

Royal Thai Consulate-General, New York, NY

351 East 52nd Street

New York, NY 10022

(212) 754-1770

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chicago, IL

700 N. Rush Street

Chicago, IL 60611

(312) 664-3129

Mac

Contact the embassy or another consulate that can issue a passport. Their information is not correct. You don't need a Thai ID to apply for a thai passport abroad. In Thailand you can only get a Thai ID if you are on someones tabien baan. So that might be even more complicated.

If I ever find a relative to clam me as a family member, will I have do a DNA test to prove it and if so how much and how long does it take to find out?

No they just go with you and vouch for you, They maybe have to take there blue book with them, to prove they lived near you or with your family,

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I was born in Bangkok in 1971 too, but have been staying with my husband and family in Mumbai, India for the past 15 years.

I had a Thai passport (until recently) and my name was on the Ta Bian Ban as well. However, I have no ID card. If I remember correctly, many years ago, a Consul in Mumbai told me that as I was staying here permanently, I had no need of one.

I have now landed in a peculiar situation because when I submitted my passport for renewal (e-Passport) I received a reply from the consulate here that the authorities in BKK required an updated Ta Bian Ban. As I have no family left in Thailand (my parents also moved to India) how am I to get a new Ta Bian Ban? My passport has been stalled for 2 months now and I am getting stressed out as I am currently without any valid documents, neither Thai nor Indian.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

As far as I know there is no need to be on a tabien ban if you apply for a new passport at a Thai embassy, only when you apply for a Thai passport in Thailand itself do you need to be on a tabien ban. Birth certificate/old Thai passport should be enough. However, It might be that for an e-passport the requirements are different as for a normal passport.

You might otherwise try the embassy and apply there or at another consulate that can issue Thai passports.

Mario2008

Thanks, that is what I think too, but how do I persuade the Consul? They are now insisting on issuing me an authority letter for someone (a Thai national in Thailand) to go and get a Ta Bian Ban issued for me. Catch is, the few friends I have in BKK are reluctant to give me copies of their ID to get the authority letter in their name. Again, if I do get such a letter, how do I get myself registered in a house in Thailand, if I have not been staying there?

Maybe I should not have applied for e-Passport? Is there any other way to apply for a passport? Unfortunately I do not have the passport with me now sad.gif

Thanks

Mario2008

Thanks. Yes the site does say that required documents are: 1.1.2 Thai Citizenship I.D.Card/House Registration which contains the 13-digit Personal Number

Question: Can I apply for a temporary passport, get to Bangkok and then run around to get an ID Card / Tabien Ban? Can I get my ID done easily? How many days does it take normally? I can't be away from work for too long.

I have my old Tabien Ban copy but obviously now they need an updated one. In that case, how can I get a new Tabien Ban without staying permanently in Thailand?

Thanks for the time and your help!

Check the Thai site first and contact the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, consular section first to see what can be done.

The Thai emabssy/cosnuate can issue you an emergency travel document, with which you can travel back to Thailand. You can also travel back on your exired passport.

In Thailand you wil need a friend or family meber who is willing to put you on their tabien ban, than you can get a ID-card there and apply for a passport at a passport office in Thailand. The registering part on the tabien ban and getting the ID-card just takes a few hours. Next you go to a passport office and you can get the passport in about 3 or 4 days, believe they also have an express service. But that may only be in Bangkok.

Mario2008

Thanks for your advice. Looks like this is the only way.

I have checked the Thai site, is this the one you are referring to - Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand

They seem to have a lot of info, even an FAQ, but nothing very relevant to my case. Guess I shall just email them and see what can be done, as you suggest.

One more question: Is it easy for a friend/relative to put my name in their House registration? I can sense a little bit of reluctance in a couple of people, seems to be a sense of fear esp. after recent events..... Do you foresee any problems for them, esp. as I do not really stay permanently in Thailand. Last thing I want to do is put somebody in trouble. As I mentioned earlier, my earlier registration seems to have lapsed somehow.

Edited by epsi28

It is not much trouble and it means that you officially live at that address. So all oficial mail etc from the Thai government will go there. Not sure on the procedure to remove you from the tabien ban once you have your passport.

You could register yourself with the Thai embasy, so they now you stay in India. Not sure about the benifits of that.

• 2 weeks later...

2) What happens next regarding getting an ID really depends on what the district say. You should go to the one where you were registered when you were born. They are a bit of a law unto themselves with regards to interpreting rules. However, with the Thai passport and birth cetificate in hand, they will probably recommend that you hunt down a family member, of if that is not possible, ask them if you can get someone else to recommend you.

Now. A couple of tricks.

They will want to know whey you haven't registered for an ID card before this, as most people get their first one when they are 15 years of age.

Tell them you have been overseas living in the US. They might ask if you have US citizenship as well. Tell them you don't. (While having more than one nationality is PERFECTLY FINE under Thai law, most officials don't actually know this and may use this as an excuse to prevent you getting an ID card). In my case, I didn't get my first Thai ID until I turned 30. They asked me if I had dual nationality, to which I replied 'yes', however I had a 'smart' person doing the paperwork and they had the foresight to ring immigration to find out. However, not all officials will want to bother doing this, and may deny you out of hand based on this fact.

I have the proper documents to get a new Thai passport. I know I have to apply in person in LA Thai Embassy. Do you remember how long it took to get your passport back? I am leaving for Thailand pretty soon. If we're talking a month then I'd just assume get it while I"m in Thailand.