Doctor's Salary In Thailand

I am now retired, but when I worked as a "locum" anaesthetist at Bumrungrad and others (private) I was on just over 10,000 baht per DAY. But I had to pay all my flight expenses and my agency cut and my hotel etc. It was not as profitable as it sounds but it was extremely agreeable work and, of course, instigated my addiction to Thailand. I will never regret this.

I am now retired, but when I worked as a "locum" anaesthetist at Bumrungrad and others (private) I was on just over 10,000 baht per DAY. But I had to pay all my flight expenses and my agency cut and my hotel etc. It was not as profitable as it sounds but it was extremely agreeable work and, of course, instigated my addiction to Thailand. I will never regret this.

May be that is why the doctors sometimes so unnecessary work, or rush you do things even if they are unethical in west to make extra money

May be that is why the doctors sometimes so unnecessary work, or rush you do things even if they are unethical in west to make extra money

WHAT IS your real name buddie....? :D

and what is your soc sec no.....? :D

and where do u live in thailand...? :D

just so when u r admitted to one of our satellite hospitals.... we shall give u special farang treatment.... :)

come on.... thai doctors study and work really hard.... my mom only made about 900thous.... in spite of the fact that she could easily make 10 times as much in cook county hospital or john hopkins or ucla....

but then you would not get as much at loma linda university hospital.... but there.... is an exceptional hospital with exceptionally dedicated and devoted physicians et al....

if you are ever really, really, really sick.... God forbid.... give loma linda a chance....

Edited by nakachalet

I ask my physiotherapist what he made about 3 years ago. He was a recent graduate first year working and his salary was 500,000 a year.

That's pretty shocking to me. I know that doctor's salaries are more reasonable here, but I still didn't think it would be that low. Here's my question...if even the doctors don't make an outrageous amount of money, what do all the filthy rich Thais do for work? :)

I ask my physiotherapist what he made about 3 years ago. He was a recent graduate first year working and his salary was 500,000 a year.

That's pretty shocking to me. I know that doctor's salaries are more reasonable here, but I still didn't think it would be that low. Here's my question...if even the doctors don't make an outrageous amount of money, what do all the filthy rich Thais do for work? :D

your question appears to be a direct contradiction....

why do bloody rich people have to work....?

my mom in law plays majong all day and on some weekends plays all night....

when her friends and/or relatives come to visit from overseas or china....

they paly TUNG-SIEVW.... meaning play around the clock....

now that is life.... according to her.... :D

and would you like to know what is on the table each game which takes about 45 min or an hour to finish....?

the ante could be as high as 5,000 usd.... each round.... depending on if it is.... gee-more.... meaning drawing the last corresponding tile from the central pile yourself.... which you would collect double your money from other players.... darn.... :D

and according to her.... that is hard work, son.... :)

and.... here is my platinum amex .... take my twin grand children to disney.... :D

Unethical? Come on my friend.

Thai doctors are excellent and, like the profession everywhere it seems, are over-worked. There is quite a bit of "moon-lighting" because the pay is not great and they are often young family men. My position was different in as much as I was a much needed fill-in for holidays, sickness etc. However, back to the original post: there are all levels of doctors from consultants to your average general practitioner as we all know. It is therefore impossible to answer the opening post with any accuracy.

That's pretty shocking to me. I know that doctor's salaries are more reasonable here, but I still didn't think it would be that low. Here's my question...if even the doctors don't make an outrageous amount of money, what do all the filthy rich Thais do for work? :D

and would you like to know what is on the table each game which takes about 45 min or an hour to finish....?

the ante could be as high as 5,000 usd.... each round.... depending on if it is.... gee-more.... meaning drawing the last corresponding tile from the central pile yourself.... which you would collect double your money from other players.... darn.... :D

and.... here is my platinum amex .... take my twin grand children to disney.... :D

reallly cant understand what on earth your on about - apart from trying to tell everyone how well off u are - the topic here is about the ?? how much do doctors in thai make -- not asking about your personal ravings - do u happen to know what doctors make here and not at JH or elsewhere ??

• Like 1

Oh dear. Keep taking the tablets won't you?

• Like 1

It depends on whether you work in the public sector or a private hospital.

For example, public hospital range 20,000 to 30,000pm. Plus overtime in the OP say 1 or 2 evenings and maybe Satuday might add another 20,000 to 30,000 pm. Then on thop of that depending on experience and expertise there may be some extra income earned from pharmacuitical manufacturers for various services which could bring in a further amount of money a possible range 10,000 to 50,000 per month.

As for a private hospitals such as BNH or Bumringrad your monthly pay packet could be in the order of say 60,000 to 160,000 again depending on hours worked , experience and skills and of course seniorority. Plus some private clinic work on top, the average private sector medico could earn between 2 to 3 million baht per annum.

Hope this helps.

Yea, some people like playing "Mother may I." Then there are those that have too much pride.

Sorry guys, but i am not sure how correct some of you are.

In my experience i had a shoulder surgery in BKK Hospital and surgeon fee was 120K, thats for the surgery for 6 hours of work.plus all other fees.

While GP may earn 50K-160K, i think surgeons are on 10 times that.

I know for a fact my surgeon is in surgery minimum 4 days per week, so that alone is already around 400K per WEEK not per month, so monthly only from surgery is already over 1 000 000 baht plus salary .

• 1 year later...

Hi Kuffki!

Thats enormous. I would be interested into what psychiatrists in private setting would be able to make annually?

How many clients a psychiatrist does manage per hour? How much to pay per consulation?

Could he expect to earn about 4 million bath a year? (I heart they gross about 5000 - 10000 baht hourly? (Just prescribing pills). That would sum up to a pretty well amount annually?

Could a private psychiatrist make a comfortable living?

Many thanks.

Sorry guys, but i am not sure how correct some of you are.

In my experience i had a shoulder surgery in BKK Hospital and surgeon fee was 120K, thats for the surgery for 6 hours of work.plus all other fees.

While GP may earn 50K-160K, i think surgeons are on 10 times that.

I know for a fact my surgeon is in surgery minimum 4 days per week, so that alone is already around 400K per WEEK not per month, so monthly only from surgery is already over 1 000 000 baht plus salary .

Could a private psychiatrist make a comfortable living?

If they are Thai psychiatrists...yes....one assumes by your line of questions you are are an expat psychiatrist who has visions of setting up in Thailand ?, before you get into the financial aspects, how will you address the problem of you needing to be Thai medical board registered to practice in Thailand ? (the exam is in Thai)

• 11 months later...

Is it really that hard to pass the thai boards? I mean if u can get thru med school, u can learn thai well enough to pass the boards, don't u think?

Its hard if you cant take the exam in the language its written in...tongue.png ......just because some gets through med school, does that infer they would be good at learning languges ?....different skills set, one suspects to take a board exam, the person would have to be just about fluent in both written and spoken Thai, maybe not be easy for a western person without years and years of learning...would be a bit more than a quick 6 month "Berlitz" basic Thai course

Just one small point to make here, you will find most doctors start the profession to make good money. Not everyones in it to save the world