A Soothing And Inexpensive Mouthwash

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

My human meat-form is struggling again with that bane of oral-cancer survivors, yeast infection.

We were relieved to find out it wasn't bronchitis, which we are afraid of, and assumed probable because of all the pollution.

Years ago we learned that a simple mouthwash made of distilled water, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), and salt, has some amazingly soothing qualities, as well helping those recovering from extensive radiatiion burns inside the oral cavity get out the mucus that sometimes forms, and the yeast related stuff.

Usual recipe : take a typical 1.5 liter plastic jar of distilled water, pour off a few ounces, add a teaspoon of salt, and teaspoon of baking soda, shake up. To use : warm it up, gargle, rinse, spit out.

We've experimented with making it stronger and weaker. And we use it just slightly warmer than body temperature.

We also pour it through our nostrils (turning our head sideways) using a tea-spout (a yogic practice called "jala neti kriya") to flush the nasal cavities. You can see a video of doing this here :

If you are feeling your airways clogged, we hope this simple health practice may contribute to you snorting more clearly !

best, ~o:37;

Uncanny, my store bought mouthwash ran out last night, I was thinking about trying to make my own!

I wondered if I could find the alcohol, whether I should I should add some nasty chemical sweetner etc..

I suppose I could just use vodka... :)

I have tried a recipe using just salt, extremely salty salt water, but it always made me grimace with disgust. I like it when the mouthwash stings a bit.. proof it can kill the bacteria! - or in this case yeast.

I'm surprised just 1 teaspoon in 1.5 litres is strong enough, maybe i will water down my salt mixture.

What is the bicarbonate of soda for? Neutralise the acid? Or does the pH kill the yeast also?

My pal here has radiation zapped salivary glands. Awful for him, but now he has found an acupuncturist in CM that seems to have been able to coax some of his glands to back into working order. If you are interested I can find out details for you?

Edited by whiterussian

Hmm...reminds me of the old song 'LILY THE PINK" with her medicinal compound.

Probably only understood by Brits?

yup, i dont understand wat yr on about, mind you,i usually dont understand what you brits are on about at the best of times

My wife had part of her tongue removed last month and will start radiation therapy next month, so this is good to know. She is having trouble with excess saliva and mucous at the moment.

A little of topic but I'm at wits end.

When I sleep, or lay down for extended periods of time, I get blood in my mouth. I know the first thing you're thinking is that it is coming up from my stomach, but when I do a deep cough or "deep" spit (aka, really reach down and pull up as far back as I can, there is no blood there). I don't think it's coming from my stomach plus I have no stomach pain (i.e. ulcer).

That means it is originating in my mouth. During the day, no problems. I floss, I brush regularly, I get my teeth cleaned 3 or 4 times a year and I use Listerene. I'm 39 and this has been going on about 3 years. When I wake up, rinse my mouth out, the blood goes away and doesn't come back.

I'm thinking maybe I tighten my jaw while I'm sleeping (like some people grind their teeth), however, my jaw muscles are not fatigued as you would think they would be if I kept a tight jaw clamped down all night. I don't know but I don't like it. Doctors say the gums are the #1 way infections enter the body so this has me doubly worried.

Any experience or ideas out there?

Thanks and sorry for grossing anybody out :)

LS

How does one get yeast in the oral cavity ?

Sawasdee Khrup, CM Dream,

Well, the only way we know of ... the way we got it ... was to have 7,000 rads of radiation put through our mouth. But we'd be darned sure there's some other ways to get it if you really go exploring.

That amount of radiation destroys pretty much all the taste buds, and the salivary glands. The internal "ecology" of the "healthy" mouth is a beautifully complex dance of mucus, phlegm, saliva, bacteria, the immune system. There's good bacteria and bad, and all of us have yeast, plus critters that would be truly "evil" if not kept in check by the immune systems.

So radiation damage in the oral cavity results in immuno-compromised tissue, and the natural resources of the body, including saliva, cannot, at times suppress yeast outbreaks. What's possible is for the yeast to also get into the bronchial tubes, which is what our doc thinks we have right now. Frankly, would rather have that, and be on anti-fungal medication, than have the bronchitis, particularly of the bacterial form.

Hope you are breathing easily and deeply, in complete comfort.

to your health, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun White Russian,

We've experimented with all different combinations of amounts of salt and sodium bicarbonate, and seem to have settled on to the current modest recipe. We are convinced, without scientific proof, that gargling intensely over a three to four minute period has the best effect on us.

Glad to know your friend is being helped by an acupuncturist, but there really is no medical evidence whatsoever that acupuncture can modify destroyed salivary glands. The extent to which a person's sense of taste and/or salivary function comes back ... after extensive oral radiation ... depends on a lot of clinical variables, the most important of which is the sheer amount of radiation, and where it was applied, and whether "focused" sharply or diffusely. There are many forms of oral cancer and different treatmen regiemes for each of them. We were surprised to find that lower tongue cancers had a whole different prognosis than upper tongue cancers, for example. These factors are, of course, far beyond our ability to medically understand.

Alcohol in MouthWash from Wikipedia

"In January 2009 a report published in the Dental Journal of Australia concluded there is "sufficient evidence" that "alcohol-containing mouthwashes contribute to the increased risk of development of oral cancer".[31] However, this claim has been disputed by Yinka Ebo of Cancer Research UK, concluding that "there is still not enough evidence to suggest that using mouthwash that contains alcohol will increase the risk of mouth cancer"[32]. More recent studies have shown that the risk of acquiring cancer rises almost five times in alcohol-containing mouthwash users who neither smoke nor drink (with a higher rate of increase in those who do).[33] The same study also highlighted side effects from several mainstream mouthwashes that included dental erosion and accidental poisoning of children."

One of the first things our oncologist told us was : no mouthwash with alcohol, and when later, out of curiousity in the middle the radiation treatments, we took a small sip of listerine, it was like the mother of all hornet stings.

Wish we had more to say about the exact effect of baking soda, but it does seem to be emollient, and to help expectoration. Will try to find one of our old links to the research we did several years ago to send to you by PM.

to your health, best, ~o:37;

... When I sleep, or lay down for extended periods of time, I get blood in my mouth. I know the first thing you're thinking is that it is coming up from my stomach, but when I do a deep cough or "deep" spit (aka, really reach down and pull up as far back as I can, there is no blood there). I don't think it's coming from my stomach plus I have no stomach pain (i.e. ulcer).

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Luke,

Of course we don't have a clue what this is about, but it seems serious enough to go and get immediate medical attention, and we really hope you do.

My wife had part of her tongue removed last month and will start radiation therapy next month, so this is good to know. She is having trouble with excess saliva and mucous at the moment.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Gary,

Very sorry to hear about your wife's condition. There is an informal network here (recently lost our respected member David Salsbury several weeks ago) of cancer survivors, but our conditions, and the intensity of the condtions, are pretty varied. Almost all of us have been treated at Sriphat Medical Center by Dr. Loavicharn and staff within Maharaj Hospital Complex on Thanon Suthep.

In terms of the after-effects of oral surgery, you'd want to be real sure your doctor approves any kind of mouth lavage. gargling, or swishing, given the delicate nature of the tongue.

If you PM me, I will send you some links to on-line support groups that can be very valuable. There are groups specifically for oral cancer patients moderated thoughtfully and intelligently.

best, o:37;

investigate Hydrogen Peroxide H202 well and it may also help you.Good luck.

Saswasdee Khrup, Khun Trickcysclist,

While we assume you only refer to using hydrogen peroxide in very weak solution as part of a mouthwash, you may not be aware of the dangerous history of attempts to use it (in more concentrated forms) in treatement of cancer.

We'd be especially concerned, considering its vigrorous effervescent reaction, to any use in a situation where a person is recovering from any oral surgery, that it be used only with explicit medical supervision.

Hydrogen Peroxide and Cancer

The British Columbia Medical Oncology Systems is considered one of the best in the world.

Edited by orang37

Hmm on a side note...

Does Carrefour on super highway carry baking soda? I need it for something.. forgot what though, I'm sure I'll remember it soon. But I've walked up and down the aisles and I havent seen it. But then again... I might be blind/ lazy to read. lol

Also, does apple cider vinegar exist here in Thailand? I have a whole list of stuff I need, but I cant seem to remember them. lol

... When I sleep, or lay down for extended periods of time, I get blood in my mouth. I know the first thing you're thinking is that it is coming up from my stomach, but when I do a deep cough or "deep" spit (aka, really reach down and pull up as far back as I can, there is no blood there). I don't think it's coming from my stomach plus I have no stomach pain (i.e. ulcer).

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Luke,

Of course we don't have a clue what this is about, but it seems serious enough to go and get immediate medical attention, and we really hope you do.

It might not be from your mouth, nose possibly? Deviated septum or other? Still as noted might be serious, get it checked.

Hmm on a side note...

Does Carrefour on super highway carry baking soda? I need it for something.. forgot what though, I'm sure I'll remember it soon. But I've walked up and down the aisles and I havent seen it. But then again... I might be blind/ lazy to read. lol

Also, does apple cider vinegar exist here in Thailand? I have a whole list of stuff I need, but I cant seem to remember them. lol

Yes there is apple cider vinegar here at Villa, Tops super market and I believe I've seen it a Tesco but that one is not certain..

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Yunnie, and Khun WarpSpeed,

We've seen Apple Cider Vinegar at Rimping Nawarat (assume it's at all the other stores, too). Imported, and very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Rajawithi hospital with my wife this morning. She had an appointment in the radiotherapy department to meet the doctor, sign the papers and get her mask fitted. The mouth wash recommended by the hospital is 1 litre of boiled water, 2 teaspoons of iodized salt and 2 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate. Can be kept for no more than 24 hours.

Baking Soda a plenty in a baking ingredients shop on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun road, a few hundred yards on the left after the superhighway, before Miguel's etc. Useful shop for things that go in cakes.

Thank you orang. As a side note, I always have baking soda around. Its good as a natural deodorant, and as a gentle facial scrub. Its also great for getting white clothing bright and white again (can also be mixed with peroxide or vinegar for a stronger solution). Apple cider vinegar can also be used diluted as a toner on skin, doesnt smell great of course, but great if you have oily/combination skin.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Koon Orang!

I found some bicarbonate of soda at Big C.. and bought some orange flavoring, some 70% alcohol.

next time I will look for peppermint flavor.

Added all the ingredients plus salt... and a splash of alcohol (just to inhibit bacteria in the flask)

Didnt like it much. Next time I will leave out the alcohol.

Just tried my new batch, Stevia leaves soaked overnight..(They are x thousand times 'sweeter' than sugar - zero cal/carb) added the liquid to the 1 litre mix. Tastes EXACTLY like store bought mouthwash. Sickly sweet with nice aftertaste.

Thank you!

thinking about it, I will extract peppermint essence from raw leaves myself for the next batch!!

keeps me busy!

Edited by whiterussian