People Encouraged To Check Their Mental Health Amid Hot Politics

webfact

People encouraged to check their mental health amid hot politics

gallery_327_1086_857.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Department of Mental Health has encouraged all Thais to check their mental health via an easy test of five questions and find ways for stress reduction accordingly upon the ongoing political tension.

Mental Health Department Director-General, MD Chatri Banchuen, stated that Thai people should beware of their own minds and not fall as victims of stress and tension.

He then recommended all Thais to take a mini-test to see if they are prone to stress leading to violent expressions or not.

The questions ask respondents to see if they are certain with five statements or not. The statements are as follows:

1) I am always frustrated upon political discussion.

2) I must argue with those having different political opinions.

3) I am engrossed in political issues more than personal ones.

4) I am always afraid of potential violent incidents in Thailand.

5) I always try to persuade others to agree with my political opinions.

Respondents will receive every two points for answering ‘yes’, one point for answering ‘uncertain’, and zero point for answering ‘no’.

Respondents scoring a total of 0-2 points can be interpreted as having normal political emotion and eligible to learn information from all sides.

Respondents with 3-5 points can be interpreted as having a moderate level of political emotion with own political stance, and able to accept different opinions.

However, they are prone to stress if they are too engrossed in politics, and so are advised to relax more.

Respondents with 6-10 points can be interpreted as having a strong level of political emotion and are at risk to high levels of stress. They are suggested to avoid any provoking situation or people and relax more.

The director-general stressed that mental health must be given priority during both normal and crisis periods. He said good mental health, serenity, and peace could be created if mental health is well managed.

MD Chatri said any people feeling uncomfortable or requiring mental health assistance can dial 1323 hotline around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scored 16. But that's an improvement over the last red protest last year. things are looking up.

Scoring 16 out of a total possible ten points just emphasizes the level of exageration that yellow Shirt sympathizers are willing to go to. Also shows that they may not be the "intellectuals" they are praported to be. JMHO.

I scored 16. But that's an improvement over the last red protest last year. things are looking up.

Scoring 16 out of a total possible ten points just emphasizes the level of exageration that yellow Shirt sympathizers are willing to go to. Also shows that they may not be the "intellectuals" they are praported to be. JMHO.

Oh, he/she did it twice, I c :)

"Doctor Doctor! I feel very strange! In the past week I have an unbearable urge to dress in red, stop all the traffic in BKK and pour blood around certain government buildings! What can I do?"

"I am so sorry, dear patient but you have come to the wrong therapist. Unfortunately a therapist cannot treat a patient who exhibits the same kind of neuroses as he or she does."

"But Doctor, you don't have this incredible urge to dress in red. So how is it that we share the same neurosis?"

"Well, when you go out dressing in red, stopping all the traffic and pouring blood around certain buildings, I get the incredibly strong urge to dress in yellow and take over the airport." :)

fight! fight! fight!

This is sad really. Mental health care is almost non existent in this country. This the first time I heard that there was a Ministry of Mental health. This kind of pop psychology is something you might see in a magazine.

Virtually all the Thai people I know dont discuss poltics and if the subject is brought up change iot rapidly usually after a plague on all their houses type comment, or one about they are all the same let them fight each ohter. Quite good way to avoid stress and a more astute set of analysis than you see on anyu of the puerile english language blogs and forums on the matter. At the end of the day they know someone will be exploting them and ripping them off and why argue over who gets that oipportunity

I think there is just the tiniest, remotest possibility that '16' was a joke.

These kinds of tests and this attitude towards mental illness show that Thailand is a very immature country. A good start would be to check the mental health of all generals and the government ministers. Publish the outcome and we all know this is just another scam which come up with bogus figures that are used for purposes other than caring for people. Put the idiots who came up with the idea out of business.

You must be seriously stressed. The maximum score is 10.

His profile tells he is only two years old.

Moreover he could be a farang and the test is intended for “all Thais”.

I had to check the date after reading, well after skimming this article as critical reading would cause too much hysteria - I thought I must have missed a few days and it was 1st April already?

It could only be presented as a serious news item in Thailand

"Doctor Doctor! I feel very strange! In the past week I have an unbearable urge to dress in red, stop all the traffic in BKK and pour blood around certain government buildings! What can I do?"

"I am so sorry, dear patient but you have come to the wrong therapist. Unfortunately a therapist cannot treat a patient who exhibits the same kind of neuroses as he or she does."

"But Doctor, you don't have this incredible urge to dress in red. So how is it that we share the same neurosis?"

"Well, when you go out dressing in red, stopping all the traffic and pouring blood around certain buildings, I get the incredibly strong urge to dress in yellow and take over the airport." :)

Hilarious, that probably pulled my stress level down to 0, lol